It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michael Bay 'recycled footage' for new Transformers film

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
This is too funny, but after the whole BLACK SWAN BS Publicity Stunts for free advertising. I will never put anything beyond Hollyweird's marketing campaigns.

Some might say that when you've seen one Michael Bay movie, you've seen them all. Now it's emerged that viewers who recently paid to see the US director's latest blast-fest, Transformers: Dark of the Moon, may actually have been watching rejigged footage from his earlier movie The Island during key scenes.

A video posted on YouTube suggests that elements of two key action scenes were recycled from earlier material used in Bay's 2005 science-fiction movie, which starred Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johansson. One of the segments in question is almost identical to a section of The Island, except that an enormous Transformer robot has been apparently superimposed on to the action via digital tinkering.

It's not the first time Bay has been accused of borrowing footage from earlier films...

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
The article goes on to state why it is important:

In the first Transformers movie, he reportedly purloined a shot of an aircraft carrier from his 2001 film Pearl Harbor. However, Transformers 3 was released amid a wave of hype over the fact it was shot in 3D, rather than being converted in post-production. Experts suggest the recycled scenes could not have been filmed in 3D, so must have been through a conversion process before they were inserted into the final film.

So if you paid to see the 3D movie would you be even just a tad pissed about this claim?

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Big deal. I'd have done the same if I was on a budget.

And as for the 3d part. Well, you're an idiot for paying for a headache anyway.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Good for him for saving some bucks.

Don't see an issue here...

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
This does not surprise me at all, I bet this is something that happens all the time in movies these days

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I'm glad that the footage was from other series not previous transformers movies. Remember the scene is Star Trek VI where they blow up the cloaked bird of pray? They reused that to blow up a bird of pray in Star Trek Generations (Star Trek VII) without even remastering the scene. It looked terrible.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I think the biggest conspiracy here is:

the fact that someone watch The Island close enough to actually put this together.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by EyeHeartBigfoot

Oh god star for you haha.. honestly I think it was kind of creative what he did thar

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
its definately the samer image give aor take a few shots...

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dilligaf28
I'm glad that the footage was from other series not previous transformers movies. Remember the scene is Star Trek VI where they blow up the cloaked bird of pray? They reused that to blow up a bird of pray in Star Trek Generations (Star Trek VII) without even remastering the scene. It looked terrible.

They done the same in Deep Space Nine as well its a common practice the way I see it big deal..

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
That explains a little. I really actually enjoy the modern 3D movies. The technology has improved so much and when it is done well, it can be very entertaining. Final Destination 4 was a terrible movie but in 3D it was really a lot of fun to watch. It was a like a rollercoaster. I have never gotten a headache. The only complaint I have ever had about modern 3D movies is that the ones done in post look like crap and are obvious. The depth is just not there and it does feel like a bit of a ripoff. I did enjoy Transformers 3 for what it was but it could have been shorter. I walked into a movie about alien robots based on toys from the 80s so I was not expecting some kind of literary masterpiece inspired work of art. I just wanted to have fun for a couple hours and I did. Some of the movie seemed a little more flat than others but setpieces have a lot to do with that too. I think it is a bit of a bummer. If the movie is PP3D even a little then it should be sold as such. People are paying attention and that is why the "shot in 3D" tag is becoming a selling point.

I thought this was an interesting find but I do agree with the post questioning someone watching the Island enough to notice.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I've not seen any the movies but I thought that was really cool, especially the first one really good use of old footage and putting the robots in

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
After readin most of the comments, it seems to me that some people are so connected to movies that they see them as real things, that must be in pure form otherwise, they are not real "art."

I don't watch TV except as a captive audience while at a relative's house, but I saw a promo (sorry, "trailer" is not in my vocab just because it is trendy) of a new futuristic show of fussing tribes and prehistoric animals, armored vehicles, etc. Anyway, in one short scene of a raptor (an wicked animal, not a "musician") was running along side of a armored vehicle, snapping at it (is that where dogs got that habit?). --I think that same creature lived in Juressic (sp?) Park. Not that I care.

--No much happenin' here, is there?

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

Huh?

The thread is about Michael Bay selling his latest movie as being 100% shot in 3D. The alleged recycled footage may dispute that claim.

What in the Sam Hades were you going on about.

Barking Raptor Dogs Attacking Tanks?

Maybe you should watch some TV.

Back On Topic. The YouTube Video was put up on June 30th.

Where did the footage come from??? How did YT video maker find the footage, match it to The Island then upload the video to YT in less than a day?

Am I over analyzing this?

Anybody else see something strange here?

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by EyeHeartBigfoot

Did you check into the uploader much?
I noticed this comment on the video.

The shot from 'The Island' was inserted after an accident that occurred during filming of that particular chase scene in 'Transformers: Dark of the Moon'. A tow-cable snapped, hitting film extra Gabriella Cedillo and resulting in a serious head injury, leaving her paralysed.

That's kind of pretty bad.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Question is, who would actually PAY to see another of these films?

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Youmakemewonder

You honestly think that a $100Million+ Hollywood Blockbuster is going to really care more for an extra than the movie's success and profit.

Ben-Ben-Hur Movie MistakesHur is still made fun of because of the one chariot driver filmed wearing a watch.

This isn't Ed Wood's Plan 9 From Outer Space.

Michael Bay Is A PERFECTIONIST:
Michael Bay gets commercial

It’s good to see that, despite his legendarily perfectionist and self-inflated ways, Michael Bay isn’t above acknowledging his public image and spoofing himself mercilessly.

How's This For Ego?

My sympathy to the injured, but...
edit on 7/4/2011 by EyeHeartBigfoot because: redact inappropriate comment

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by EyeHeartBigfoot
reply to post by Youmakemewonder

You honestly think that a $100Million+ Hollywood Blockbuster is going to really care more for an extra than the movie's success and profit.

No and I did not say that they did. I simply thought that becoming paralyzed in your job as a movie extra really sucks and since it was related to why the scene was supposedly replaced I also found it interesting.

My sympathy to the injured, but...
edit on 7/4/2011 by EyeHeartBigfoot because: redact inappropriate comment

Well if you read my first comment you would see that I whole heartedly agreed with your OP and my second post was in no way challenging that. I cannot read spanish so I could not read the uploaders page so I asked if you knew any more than you had supplied us with. This is what I get on ATS when I agree with people so I will leave you to the wolves.
edit on 4-7-2011 by Youmakemewonder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
That is really funny.
At least they made new footage around the scene's, just those few frames of sheer laziness.

I liked the first Transformers, the second was a bit too much of the same, I hope they stepped it up for this one.
Well hopes maybe a bit high seeing as they re-use stock footage.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join