It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Bugs

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Thanks for posting this, I saw that crap around here and the kids would not be going outside for a long time!!! That bird spider would do me in, next you know they would be hanging down and grabbing babies or even you! EEEK!! Some were interesting and some were very gross! My girlish side is coming out hahahah!

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
last summer I found a Weta here in Oklahoma in my house

I was intrigued as it wasn't quite a cricket, grasshopper or catydid
I saved it's corpse hoping a friend or family member could help me identify it as I was unable to do so with the research I did online. . . . some would say "cricket!" while others claimed "grasshopper!"
I wasn't convinced it was either!!

Thanks for posting this!! I FINALLY know what that insect was !!

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Hey Op great thread, I really enjoyed it, S&F for you. By the way my girl friend looked up that camel spider on snopes and the picture is real but they said the info is inaccurate. It is related to scorpions like the whiptail but not really a spider.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I notice that quite a few of these pics are using a little perspective trick to make the bugs seem bigger then they are i.e. holding them real close to the camera and not having much to reference the size from at the same depth but still. Those are some big bugs

Those isopods are cool, cool enough to like Doritos
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fd90d7a3eb6a.jpg[/atsimg]
I wonder what dip they like best

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Jesus

these things are the stuff of nightmares.

i think if that giant pill bug walked into the room right now i would drop dead. no question.

its amazing the fear these creatures instill on us.

Im 100% positive at some point in our evolution we had to face these creatures on a daily basis.

terrifying lol.

thanks for the post

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ObvTruth
Whoa look at that f*****g pill bug!. Its bigger than a cat!

No kidding. That is the creepiest bug in the OP. I can't believe that's real. The original size of those bugs is tiny. That looks like something from a video game or Sci-Fi movie.

I don't think I should've clicked on this thread.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

No disrespect to the French but I'd assume those snails look tasty lmaoo

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Oh hell no!

While i can groove on some little "orbs", if i see a spider that size its gonna meet "mr. 12ga."!

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by The Cusp

Check out the tip of it's wings. One side looks like a snake, the other like an eagle. Am I seeing things or is that a defense mechanism?

I can se that Cusp, and yea often there are predatory eye formations in the wings of moths/butterflies for, as you mentioned defense. Pretty cool...
On the subject, I did a thread some time ago on butterflies and there are some awesome colors!
Butterfly Thread

Peace,
spec

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

That is a good size one westcoast, I bet it kind of resembles a bat when flying. Love those 'eye' patterns.
Thanks for the addition!

Peace,
spec

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by enament

Cool vid enament, thanks. Fish eating spiders...who'd a thought?

spec

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Faery34majick

Well they do evoke a bit of creepiness, so go ahead and scream if one get's too close!

spec

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by lurker007

Interesting for sure lurker, can you imagine walking along, and like a grasshopper, one of those jumps on your arm unsuspectingly? Whoa!
I keep thinking they would be great bait for a BIG fish!

spec

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Hey Dave! Man those things look like lobster tails, without the rest o the lobster! I bet they would prefer some shrimp dip! hee hee Awesome pic man, thanks!

spec

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Sphota

Just for you Sphota! I keep thinking about the size fish one could catch with one of these things. But yea, a 20 footer would be surreal!

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Booya!!!!

photo by - mgunbey

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Millions of years ago weren't all bugs really huge like that?

Yes, 3 foot dragonflies and 8 foot millipedes

Insects don't have lungs so oxygen has to diffuse through their bodies. The more oxygen in the atmosphere, the bigger they can grow. 300 million years ago the atmosphere had 35% oxygen compared with 20% today, so you got 8 foot millipedes:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4d126d950671.jpg[/atsimg]

Those are pretty big bugs regardless. I suspect the creepy bugs are just waiting until there's more oxygen in the air

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by enament
This is a Fishing Spider I have caught these before the first time I saw one i thought it was a Wolf Spider took it to the museum to get it identified turns out its a Fishing Spider. The one I found Is slightly smaller than this one mine was about five and a half inches long.

Just to let you know Giant Water Bug is the name of that fishing bug I posted earlier.The insect Westcoast is holding is a water beetle. I'm not sure but could it be this one a Water Scavenger Bettle?

Thanks for the info! That's exactly what it was. It had those legs that stick out the sides while its 'floating'. They always get into the pool (either they can fly at some point or fall out of the trees) but they are normally about 1/4 the size of the one pictured.

I have to admit, that after looking at those pictures of the giant spider eating the bird....I seriously had nightmares last night about giant spiders. Really.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur

"Back then, there was 31 to 35 percent oxygen in the air," study lead author Kaiser said. "Now we have about 21 percent."

Imagine running into one of these bad boys:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/296c5a0a6342.jpg[/atsimg]

JESUS! You could slap a saddle on that bitch n ride it around!

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by iksose7

Yea man, but I sure wouldn't pull on the reigns too hard, that thing might eat ya!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join