It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Bugs

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ObvTruth
Whoa look at that f*****g pill bug!. Its bigger than a cat!

It's not a bug it's isopod there is approximately nine species of large isopods (crustaceans related to the shrimp and crabs) in the genus Bathynomus. They are thought to be abundant in cold, deep waters of the Atlantic.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by enament

I have seen some allmost 3" here in michigan. Beware They strike, injecting a powerful digestive saliva with their mandible, and sucking out the liquefied remains. Their bite is considered one of the most painful that can be inflicted by any

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by proob4

Bathynomus.

Sounds like a steam room for Julian Assange and co to meet at. Or for people addicted to bathing.

Yea, as pointed out, those are sea critters, but they are commonly called pill bugs for reference too. I did not realize that until pointed out. Thanks
edit on 3-7-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
so i thought those giant snails would be a good pet for my niece and nephew who love spongebob and they wouldn't take to m uch looking after. But after some research maybe not lol!

The USDA and APHIS consider these snails dangerous pests and takes its search for giant African land snails very seriously. According to APHIS, in the 1960s a boy smuggled in 3 of the snails into Florida, and these were subsequently released. Within seven years there were an estimated 18,000 of the creatures in the wild and it took 10 years and over a million dollars to eradicate them all. Obviously, establishment of significant wild populations in the US is a valid concern. Theoretically, because the snail hibernates in cold weather, it could survive and reproduce in most areas of the US.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Bixxi3

18,000 in 3 years!

Man I bet they can do some damage to the vegetation! Maybe they should sterilize the ones marketed for pets!

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
About the Giant Water Bug:

Text Although not really dangerous, the Giant Water Bug can give one a nasty bite. One person described the bite as very painful, causing the finger and whole hand to swell up dramatically, to the point where they lost all use of the hand,and remaining thus for about two weeks. If you are going to handle this insect, it should be done with care.
reply to post by proob4

They are really fast defiantly use caution!!!
edit on 3-7-2011 by enament because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Giant Asian Hornets.

It's like a Godzilla movie for bees.

youtu.be...

Sorry the noob here can't get the video to embed.

edit on 3-7-2011 by CryHavoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by CryHavoc

Got it covered here Havoc:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
And yea, these things are intense!

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

a good Deagle would be an excellent pest control for these...

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by PorroAgoVetusRespublica

Can't argue with that PAVR....
2nd

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Giant praying Mantis

Oh my god, run!!!!

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by enament

Would not want to handle one of those.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Saw this vid on another thread Here and thought it would be appropriate here as well, Hunting The Goliath Tarantula.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

These videos might be good to watch just before going somewhere where you expect to gorge on yummy
stuff..with regret of course. If real, they can keep 'em, I don't want 'em 'round me. Once a "cousin" came
back from overseas..stayed with us and poor fellow ( young at the time ) slept on the floor..jumped up
yelling as he'd never been exposed to a large "palmetto" bug...flying cockroach...uh huh..yeah, you get
the idea most don't want to be close to the giants of the insect world, however fascinating.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by njl51

Oh man, do I know about those things! Jude 11 did a thread about phobias, and palmetto bugs, aka flying roaches, are my only phobia. I grew up in Louisiana and have handled snakes, gators, logger head snapping turtles and other critters of the south, but I hate even squashing one of those palmettos, they give me the heebeegeebee's!

As a child one night while lying in bed with nothing but a small night light illuminating the room, I watched as one crawled up the wall, then flew and landed RIGHT ON MY FACE!!!!!

I screamed like a banshee man! So yea, I feel the creepiness yo!

spec

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I showed my 2,7,8 and 9 year old these bugs ha ha, the older ones kept going 'EWWWW' and my 2 year old kept kissing the screen saying scruffy, which is the name of our cat.

Their reactions got me through another day lol, so thanks OP.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackDove

Glad you guys got a kick out of it BD, thanks for the reply.
I have some other threads you guys might like HERE under "Nature Lovers Behold" in the left column of my profile.

spec

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
Oh my god, run!!!!

I remember that screencap all too well and having a right good laugh at it for days.

Snails give me the dry boke (heaves) and giant ones are even worse ... bleurgh!

But what fantastic creatures each and every one of them are. Im not sure what Pill bugs are, so off to have a nosey.

Ewww Pill Bugs = related to what we call Slaters and that freaks me out just a wee bit.

I guess I am just a big girl after all, feart of all the wee and big beasties!

edit on 9-7-2011 by Ficargul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Ficargul

Hey Ficargul! I guess the 'ill bug is actually a sea critter, and the traditional pill bug is what some call a roly poly. Regardless, it looks like a prehistoric bug to me. Glad you enjoyed the pics, and the giant fly!

Peace,
spec

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Thanks speculativeoptimist i shall check them out.

Second line.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join