It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Bugs

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I ran across a vid that peaked my curiosity about giant bugs. The vid is of a giant female heteropteryx and I thought it was fake. Can you imagine waking up to one of these crawling on the bed?!? This thing needs a leash!

Then I saw this, evn though it's not a bug, African 'pet' snail:

Giant Walking Stick "So it doesn't fly?" Thank goodness

Some others include giant Pill Bug, aka 'roly poly'

The biggest earthworm on well... Earth, is the Giant South African earthworm, pictured above, which can reach over 20-feet in length. And their campaign of weirdness doesn't stop with looking like monsters from a 50s sci-fi movie.

Goliath Beetle

Goliath beetles are members of the insect family, called a scarab beetle.

This group of insects is a native species to Africa.

They are usually tropical although some are more subtropical.

The Goliath beetles are among the largest beetle in the world and they are certainly the heaviest.

Titanus giganteus (Titan beetle) is an extremely rare South American Longhorn Beetle and the largest known in the Amazon rainforest. One of the most interesting facts about these insects is that males do not eat, but fly around to mate or to find those bright lights they’re so attracted of. The Titan beetle is also famous for its incredible mandibles, capable of snapping small pieces of wood and even flesh. With its antennae extended the biggest specimen was reported to be 9-inch long.

Giant Camel Spider
When American soldiers aren't worrying about insurgents and IEDs, they have to keep an eye out for Giant Camel Spiders. Iraq's Giant Camel Spiders have even been found hiding in sleeping bags. Fortunately, the giant desert camel spiders native to Iraq aren't venomous. But they are FAST. Giant Camel Spiders have been known to run around 10 MPH. Although most Camel Spiders are about the size of a credit card, they have been know to grow larger than 10 inches, especially in the deserts of the Middle East.

Dang, better zip up the tent on any desert excursions!!

Giant Weta
Weta are extremely large by insect standards. They can weigh more than 70g, making them one of the heaviest documented insects in the known world. The Giant Weta can't even jump because it's so heavy. Giant Weta and are classified in the genus Deinacrida, which is Greek for terrible grasshopper. They are found primarily on small islands off the coast of the main islands, and are examples of island gigantism. Wetas like to hide under rocks or plant debris.

Giant Moth

This one I do not know what this one is, but man it looks like something out of a sci fli flick!

Feel free to add any others...

Peace and the hebeegeebee's

spec
edit on 2-7-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Wow those things are massive, I didn't even know bugs could be that big. If I saw one of those in my room right now I would absolutely lose it. Millions of years ago weren't all bugs really huge like that? I remember watching some TV show and they said something about there being more oxygen in the air so everything grew really big.

What I want to know is do all bugs of those species grow that big, or are they just the abnormally huge ones?

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

Millions of years ago weren't all bugs really huge like that?

Yes, 3 foot dragonflies and 8 foot millipedes

What I want to know is do all bugs of those species grow that big, or are they just the abnormally huge ones?

I think these are just attributes to these species, and is the norm. The first vid with the heteropteryx seems larger than any description I can find, which says they get up to 6 inches long, but that one must have been fed well!

spec

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Dammit Africa, why must you possess such weird creatures!? I think it even outdoes South America in its production of bizarre animals.

Although these aren't bugs as such, let's not forget these things.

(not sure how to embed pictures in le post)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DeepThoughtCriminal

Holy #@*&, that first crab, the garbage man musta had a heart attack!!!
Thanks for the addition

Oh, check this for pic upload assistance: ATS Media Help

spec

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Whoa look at that f*****g pill bug!. Its bigger than a cat!

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ObvTruth

Its bigger than a cat!

For real man, and it may even take a cat!!!

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
We have these on the east coast I've seen several in my life time and they fly too. they get to be around two and a half inches long and give a nasty bite.Actually they are found all over North America with slightly diffident species throughout North America.
Giant water bug.

edit on 2-7-2011 by enament because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
HOLY ROLY POLY!!!! These are amazing, thanks for sharing. I would crap myself if I came across any of these bugs.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

"Back then, there was 31 to 35 percent oxygen in the air," study lead author Kaiser said. "Now we have about 21 percent."

Imagine running into one of these bad boys:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/296c5a0a6342.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by enament

Man a fisheating bug huh?!!! Wow!
Thanks for the reply!

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Some others include giant Pill Bug, aka 'roly poly'

Thats not a giant Pill Bug its a deep sea isopod

Giant Camel Spider
When American soldiers aren't worrying about insurgents and IEDs, they have to keep an eye out for Giant Camel Spiders. Iraq's Giant Camel Spiders have even been found hiding in sleeping bags. Fortunately, the giant desert camel spiders native to Iraq aren't venomous. But they are FAST. Giant Camel Spiders have been known to run around 10 MPH. Although most Camel Spiders are about the size of a credit card, they have been know to grow larger than 10 inches, especially in the deserts of the Middle East.

Theres no such thing as a Giant Camel Spider. The reports coming back from iraq by the soldiers about 12 inch Solifugae was a hoax. The picture just makes them look big because they are being held close to the lense, its one of the pics that started the myth.

I think the giant moth is a Brown Lunar Moth.

The bug in the video thats on the guys face is a whip tail scorpion / Vinegaroon (Thelyphonida) . Its a close relative to the Camel Spider ( Solifugae ).

edit on 2-7-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

Ahh, interesting, oxygen levels made a difference it seems. Man, we always think about survival back then entailing fighting off dinosaurs and such, but I bet a few bugs were speared too! I'd call that thing a Megapede !

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Theres no such thing as a Giant Camel Spider.

There is according to this:animals.nationalgeographic.com...
but yea, it says they only reach 6 inches. They are also closer to scorpions than spiders. Hey, I learn something everyday.
Thanks

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

The last video, the dude with the wierd arachnid on his face. It was this apparently:Vinegaroon

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

Fascinating, thanks!
That one would be a good model for Starship Troopers 4, and maybe make the series good again.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
How about a giant Orb Weaver.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b5a83ae3d872.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b5c924c598ee.jpg[/atsimg]

Source..

edit on 2-7-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
That weta bug this is so gross! It's like something out of Starship Troopers.

'terrible grasshopper'

Bit of an understatement!

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

What the?!?! That is crazy looking man! That is real no?
Thanks for the addition...
ETA: Yes, that is real, wow!
Here's another pic:

It seems there are only a handful of the ones this size in the world.
I was trying to find out how big their webs were.

spec

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by yakuzakid

Yea but in hard times it could feed a family of four!

Hopper leg anyone? hee hee

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join