It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video games are bad: Heres why

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hiasyouwant
reply to post by SaturnFX

Have you ever fantasised over a video game? I have, as do many people. Mind you I'm not a loner or loser by any means. But I'd imagine many people fantasize, and due to these gameplay activties, has served at the least, as part of some of these people comitting real crimes. Weather its partial reason, or the full throttle "I need the same feeling I had in the game". These games are not just toys. They cause emotions, agression, adrenaline, and just over extremities you can't find anywhere else unless you commit these acts in real life. As games continue to increase in violence sex and excitement, can anyone 100% say this will have no bearing on one's pyschology? I'd assume, subconciously, it already plays a huge role in our everyday lives. It's like being showed 1000's of gory sadistic images real fast.. Direct into the subconcious even though we don't even remember them.

Maybe you should stop playing video games and maybe more importantly, you should study 'escapism' or the induction of media remedy, or the attribution of skill and interaction instead of placing your own deranged fantasies as a benchmark of typical behaviour, If computer games are too much for you, may I suggest you go and sit in a quiet room with a nice book, a cup of tea and quite possibly a biscuit or two.

If people wish to play computer games, be they violent, intrinsic , deep, shallow, story-like, arcade-like, strategic, blasty, roaming, linera, sandbox, massively multiplayer,singleplayer, typical or outrageous - you have no quarter to decide what people should do with their spare time.

Cheers.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Oh boy, I think some of these people live under a rock......the world isn't a very nice place at times, nothing wrong with some of these games (BIOSHOCK IS HORRIFYING....LOL)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
I found silent hill a bit boring frankly.

You want evil, go check out fear, or perhaps mass effect 2...or pokemon

Pfft - try blood siren / siren - depending which version you play. A fine example of Japanese horror.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by OwenGP185
I never understand when people seem to be so negative towards video games when movies, music, art etc is often a lot more violent, gruesome etc. Just because you can control the character, it does not mean you are some how controlling you're mind to perform the same actions. As people have mentioned before, it is the people who cant comprehend the difference between a few pixels and real life that cause these problems. In real life you dont respawn, so if anything voilent games put me off getting into those situations in real life lol.

I actually just posted my report on something very similar to what you just said. You'd be surprised that our brains really can't tell the difference. This is not an entirely bad thing, however. The Really Real World

ps - I don't feel good plugging my own thread but it is pretty darned relevant.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
oooooh man! I feel in love with the mass effect games. I see video games as just different from books, or movies. Just b/c it's a book doesn't make it better than playing a game. What if it's a really bad book vs a really good game? I'm not talking sonic the hedgehog i'm talking about final fantasy 6, mass effect, mine craft, portal, or anyother game that makes you use your brain.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
My my, what a contentious subject we have here.

Video games are as harmful as T.V. in my opinion in that they make us lazy. And before all you "true" gamers out there start flaming me saying that it takes a lot of energy to physically and mentally get into the game correctly, and then turn around and say you can take it or leave it......Spare me.

There's going to be a study out soon, mark my words, that say certain video games ( Wii excluded )can help you lose weight because of the energy a player has to invest in it.

I look at video games the same way I look at drugs. They don't make you something that you're already not. They only bring out to the surface what you already are and make it obvious.

We had bad,un-attentive parents long before Warcraft etc.... ever came out. But weak people like this will get sucked into that kind of stuff so easily, kind of like how an addict will take to a drug and do it to death, that it makes it easy for every one else to blame the game instead of focusing on the real problem.

edit on 1-7-2011 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Hiasyouwant

Most people are not affected by such things...it's only a tiny, tiny minority that because of pre-existing mental problems that are.....and honestly those same kids would probably be violent without the games! Most of the violence in this world comes from the sections where they can't afford such video games. Oh, and why are you talking about games like Super Columbine Massacre RPG? That's not even a real game, it's something some bored smart ass with a dark sense of humor programmed with RPG Maker 2000 ...it was never on the store shelves to be bought!

Why do people enjoy such games? For the very same reason that little boys have always played with toy soldiers, and wooden guns. To get out our own natural aggressive tendencies without them building up....Such games are a necessity. I'd be more afraid of a kid forebidden to experience such things...they'd be a boiling over cauldron of internalized rage!

You do realize that MOST kids play these games now days, right? I hope you also realize that MOST kids don't go on shooting sprees. In fact the statistics show that by and far, American Teens are far less violent now than they ever have been in history. It's only that you hear about it more due to the media, every time some kid shoots up a school (which statistically you'd EXPECT to happen every now and then)
Here's some quotes for ya.

"Recent research has shown that as video games have become more popular, children in the United States and Europe are having fewer behavior problems, are less violent and score better on standardized tests," Ferguson, a guest editor for the journal, explained."

"Violent video games are like peanut butter," said Christopher J. Ferguson, of Texas A&M International University. "They are harmless for the vast majority of kids but are harmful to a small minority with pre-existing personality or mental health problems."

SOURCE
www.peopleforum.cn...

edit on 1-7-2011 by bhornbuckle75 because: Whoops....forgot to spell check...Fixed a couple things...Probably not all though....Oh well.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Doesnt reading do the same thing? for example, I read World war Z by max brooks, some of the stuff got my adrenaline going! same with the lost symbol! my palms would get sweaty, i would shake with excitement.

Arent video games being use as an anti-depressant? I think they are. A study was done involving 5 different video games. Including Call of duty modern warfare 2, Plants versus zombies, Fallout new vegas, Grand theft auto san andreas and left for dead 2. The tested 100 people, And every single one of them Where instantly not depressed for some time. yes it was temporary, But after months and months of doing the tests, Their temporary non depression would last longer and longer. They Felt like they were Inside the game for the 2 hours they played it. And felt nothing else.

Are they good? or bad?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
video games have had a a profound effect on me.

its called pleasure, and i enjoy it. immensely. you know, recreation, happiness, something i have a right to.

"parents are kids nowadays" so blame video games? shuuuut uuuppppp

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Well, I guess if a nuclear apocalypse is anything like Fallout, I'll be set. Just hand me a shotgun and some radaway!

I find no harm in exposing people to video games. The world can be a violent and depressing place in itself, so why not allow people to spend a few hours in a virtual world doing things they could never possibly do in reality. I'm an avid gamer, I play plenty of violent games be it God of War, Fallout, Red Dead Redemption, GTA, etc; But NOT ONCE have I wanted to go outside and slaughter real people and I find it ridiculous to assume that prolonged exposure to video games will make you into a bloodthirsty psychopath. The absolutely miniscule number of people that actually commit these crimes already have had some prior mental disorder, making it easy for the media to portray it as the fault of video games or metal music (both are passions of mine).

To think that every gamer is easily susceptible to video game-influenced acts of violence is a ridiculous claim. Sure, I think that children should not be exposed to specific titles, but I will leave that up to the discretion of their parents.

Video games are one of my favorite ways to relieve stress after working. So rather than take out my anger on a real person, I can pop in Crysis 2 and shoot up some aliens.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I understand where you're coming from, but I myself, a gamer at the age of 17, know what the difference betweenreality and fantasy are. I would also say that about 40% of the males at my school would consider themselves gamers. I really don't think it affects us negatively that much at all. Our school is nationally recognized for our "excellence." A video game will not persuade you to kill or harm.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

ooooooohhhhh man i needed a good laugh today. thanks 4chan.

seriously, it IS the parents responsibility. i work at a local game store here in town and you would not believe how many parents let their children buy games like grand theft auto, god of war, and heavy rain. heavy rain has a sex scene you actually control and when i tell parents they say "oh hes about to be in 7th grade he's gonna learn about that from his friends anyway."

these peoples children are often caught vandalizing and shoplifting in the store and banned. the kids who are well behaved? their parents are always the ones who ask about the ratings of games and the contents.

also, like somebody else said above, it is the invironment in which people are raised that makes them who they are. eric harris and dylan kleebold were already messed up in the head due to lack of parenting and constant bullying which pushed them over the edge.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hardstepah
and when i tell parents they say "oh hes about to be in 7th grade he's gonna learn about that from his friends anyway."

Well to be fair that's pretty much true.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

Bioshock is scary (i crapped my pants when a splicer jumped out of nowhere)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Headcrusher23
reply to post by MidnightTide

Bioshock is scary (i crapped my pants when a splicer jumped out of nowhere)

If you think it's scary play System Shock 2.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

And now nightmares of shodan slowly comback to me....

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Aaaahhhhh this old chestnut again.

Seriously, when are people going to start accepting responsibility for their actions, instead of blaming something else? Especially something as easily accessible as gaming, tv etc???

And when are people going to realise that blaming something like gaming, tv, basically any form of media, makes them look like a bigger moron than George Dubya????

Now, where did I leave Frostmourne???? Can't go round being the Lich King without Frostmourne!!!! Would look quite the fool walking round in all that armour, yet not have the weapon that makes me the LK and gives me the majority of my power!

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Dang dude, I hope you've played Splatterhouse or the new Mortal Kombat, it'll F you up! Its down to personal responsibility.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hiasyouwant
reply to post by BrianDamage

Just google "World of Warcraft addiction", nevermind gold farming mines in China. I'm not making this stuff up. It absolutely affects a persons life more than literature or a movie; and will continue to worsen. You are not nearly as immersed as you are watching a movie as you are in such games. Some of these people make this their life. Are you telling me I should be allowed to create a virtual child on a free game Sony puts out, find a Virtual adult, and engage in Virtual sex? Is that okay? Every turn, decision and moment is often left up to the player, and often plays out differently. There is no one addicted to literature or film the way they are addicted to these games. Thousands and thousands of hours spent on a movie? Hardly.

Sorry Video Games are art, the same way as Comics,Mangas are, if you cant accepted that and cant accept that video games belong in the freedom of speech, and freedom of right, its best you stay out of the debate.

Video games for other children help them those who health problems , by relaxing the brain and aswell Shooters can help those who have suffered war trauma and is afraid of gun shots, by calming the nerves.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Bahh! Just being alive is going to kill you.
Some people just need an excuse for bad behavior. If your of sound mind and body chances are your going to do the right thing and don't need big brother messing with your fun.

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join