It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video games are bad: Heres why

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

amen!

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by sith9157
The difference between serious gamers and the Columbine douchebags, is that real, true gamers know that it is an artificial world, and it ends there. Please do not play that "All those that play video games will do evil" card.
You just sound incredibly ignorant.

It is a oversimplification if anything...you hear a story on the msm and decide that must be the issue
the colombine shooters wear all black...therefore anyone whom wears all black is a serial killer and terrorist...

before video games, there was plenty of crazy, some people simply are unbalanced...and when a couple unbalanced kids get together, it makes the situation worse.

Jared the az shooter was part of ATS...therefore pretty much everyone on ATS will probably go on a shooting spree...
nonsense.

I wish some video games were reality though...I won't mention which ones...but hell yeah, give me that reality over this one any day.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hiasyouwant
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Video games give people other senses. For loners, perhaps a sense of being. For others.. worse things than we can imagine. What will you make of it when you make a stabbing motion on the kinect for the xbox? We've already got the shooting havent we? Hey, go check out 50 Cent: Bulletproof or San Andreas, tell me it doesn't affect black children who play it, I dare you.

what about white children? you sir, are a racist

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Have you ever fantasised over a video game? I have, as do many people. Mind you I'm not a loner or loser by any means. But I'd imagine many people fantasize, and due to these gameplay activties, has served at the least, as part of some of these people comitting real crimes. Weather its partial reason, or the full throttle "I need the same feeling I had in the game". These games are not just toys. They cause emotions, agression, adrenaline, and just over extremities you can't find anywhere else unless you commit these acts in real life. As games continue to increase in violence sex and excitement, can anyone 100% say this will have no bearing on one's pyschology? I'd assume, subconciously, it already plays a huge role in our everyday lives. It's like being showed 1000's of gory sadistic images real fast.. Direct into the subconcious even though we don't even remember them.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

The difference between serious gamers and the Columbine douchebags, is that real, true gamers know that it is an artificial world, and it ends there. Please do not play that "All those that play video games will do evil" card.

It is a oversimplification if anything...you hear a story on the msm and decide that must be the issue
the colombine shooters wear all black...therefore anyone whom wears all black is a serial killer and terrorist...

All serial killers drank milk as babies, therefore drinking milk turns you into a serial killer.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by PlayeR87

Currently games like the sims use pretty simply algorithmns and they are not aware and have no perception like we do, but that will no doubt change in the future with the emergence of Artificial intelligence. Today's games may seem harmless to most people, but what about the future. I imagine some people won't have any problem torturing, violating or killing characters in computer games that think, feel and suffer like we do. Self aware AI is probably a long way off yet, but you never know. God knows where technology like Kinect VR might end up taking us. Being able to download your consciousness into a computer reality character that is indistinguishable from real life and being able to carry out your sickest, wildest fantasies. Will we still use the same excuse? It's only a game.
Food for thought.
edit on 1-7-2011 by kindred because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I've been gaming on various platforms for almost 35 years now and I can see how games influence people for both good and bad. It's much like almost anything where you engage the brain. Religion, Drugs, Literature, Education...

Addictive behavior is not the sole fault of the "vice". The behavior will likely exists with something if that vice didn't exist.

People don't play video games because it's addictive. They play because it engages their brains. It's fantasy fulfillment, story-telling, character building, and problem solving. People don't take drugs because they're addictive. They take them because it makes them feel good. Same as almost any enjoyable behavior.

In the end, it's the parent's job to raise their child to be responsible and well behaved adults. There are things that can derail the upbringing of a child, but those are so rare that they're exceptions.

I think video games can be used as a tool to identify bad behavior in kids and to prevent that bad behavior, but parents have to get involved. Gaming doesn't teach people to be good or bad sports. That is taught by other people. Parent in particular are responsible for making sure that games don't become the ONLY thing in their lives.

Most parents wouldn't give their kids a gun and just let them take it and use it without teaching them how to use it and the importance of being responsible with it's use, yet they'll let their kids play video games which will have more of an impact on their upbringing than that gun will without having any kind of supervision or training.

In the end, it's the most important job a parent has; teaching their children how to be responsible. If your child isn't responsible, there is really only one person to blame.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by emptyOmind

Nope, black kids in poverty are absolutely more susceptible or affected to these games than anyone else. Get real. (san andreas, 50 cent)
edit on 1-7-2011 by Hiasyouwant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Nope, black kids in poverty are absolutely more susceptible or affected to these games than anyone else. Get real.

Word, dawg. I was all playin' my San Andreas and cleanin' up the streets of drugs and avengin' my mother's death and I thought, "You know what would go great with this? Mass murder in real life."
edit on 1-7-2011 by Nosred because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

I wish some video games were reality though...I won't mention which ones...but hell yeah, give me that reality over this one any day.

I game for that Saturn..so to speak

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nosred

Nope, black kids in poverty are absolutely more susceptible or affected to these games than anyone else. Get real.

Word, dawg. I was all playin' my San Andreas and cleanin' up the streets of drugs and avengin' my mother's death and I thought, "You know what would go great with this? Mass murder in real life."

Not only that but I don't know how a terrible game/biography on 50 Cent could possibly do any more damage to his fans (of any ethnicity) than he does himself with his lyrics.

As far as San Andreas? That was a huge step up for game protagonist demographics. Do people like the OP think all the games with women protagonists affect poverty-stricken females more than others? Do people like the OP think there's an army of gun-toting pig-tailed white 12-year old girls marching through the streets because they played Tomb Raider?
edit on 1-7-2011 by Cuervo because: gettin' tired...

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Apparently he thinks all mind-controlled, four year old, test tube babies born in underwater cities and raised by Nazi scientists to be sleeper agents for mafia members to kill their Objectivist enemies will go on a killing spree after playing Bioshock. Please don't read that last sentence if you dislike spoilers.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Just had to throw this in...

Game related deaths

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

I completly disagree with you. I'm not religious at all either but Games are not the problem. People are. That's people who can't handle gaming. I'm nearly 20. I game since I was eight, and believe it or not i have friends, I'm doing a apprenticeship - one year to go, no problem in society, I do other hobbys, (and why has a gamer to be fat!?). I mostly play shooter games like cod I could list you a loooot more but don't think you want to hear them
point is I anyway would never harm another human being I live completly in peace
. I know a lot more gamers that aren't anything you said.
So like I said some people are the problem don't blame the games.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

reply to post by SaturnFX

Have you ever fantasised over a video game? I have, as do many people. Mind you I'm not a loner or loser by any means.

I have pondered ways of solving hard puzzles while away of a game, or thought of mods (I am a modder as a hobby..so, "making things cooler" is often on my mind when gaming).
Fantasized...not in the context I am thinking...beyond a passing joke after marathon GTA fests or something, I never really thought about applying such things to reality.
I have had far more fantasys about things like lord of the rings movies or the like...I think games engage too much of the brain to be absorbed in the subconscious actually
now, if I am gaming for endless hours then go to bed, I will often dream in that theme or general premise...I played the hell out of oblivion and often would find my dreams would be similar to the environment..however, environmental only...never did close down oblivion portals in my games...just random stuff with the environmentals

Strategy games get me thinking outside of the game though...the old civilization games, up to the total war games, even sitting at work I would be constantly pondering different methods of attack and defense...but meh, its just fancy chess (and I love me some chess).

Fantasy implys some sort of unhealthy fixation towards pixels...and although its great fun to splode virtual people after a crap day, it never really sinks into the subconscious...movies, yes, games, no.

But I'd imagine many people fantasize, and due to these gameplay activties, has served at the least, as part of some of these people comitting real crimes. Weather its partial reason, or the full throttle "I need the same feeling I had in the game". These games are not just toys. They cause emotions, agression, adrenaline, and just over extremities you can't find anywhere else unless you commit these acts in real life.

Yes, its an outlet..a good game is designed to draw you in, and make you forget about reality for a bit...to stimulate you.
As far as using it for real criminal activity though, as helpful...well, no...see, in RL, we don't have extra lives.

Now for some reality.
Check the statistics of jails...you will find the majority of there, the large majority, are people whom do not have consoles, computers, etc...its people that have no outlet. if gamers = potential criminals, the jails would be significantly different looking for inmates.

I won't go into detail...but lets just say I know very well that jails are not filled with gamers.

As games continue to increase in violence sex and excitement, can anyone 100% say this will have no bearing on one's pyschology? I'd assume, subconciously, it already plays a huge role in our everyday lives. It's like being showed 1000's of gory sadistic images real fast.. Direct into the subconcious even though we don't even remember them.

I think it does, but I think it is opposite of what your suggesting due to study and demographics.
I think it sort of sucks out all the passion overall and exausts you..

Consider this

If gamers were truely getting ideas and becoming rampant murderous sex fiends...then gamers would be legendary lovers due to overstimulation...yet, they are not...if anything, a avid gamer has a slightly subdued sex drive...is it because they are virtually getting "it" and so are less inclined to produce in reality...only the shadow knows.

I understand the kneejerk subject your discussing, I am simply saying that studies show the opposite...adults gaming are less inclined to act out..and for the most part, this is good (nice civil society), although the spouse of a heavy gamer may not be overly impressed with the outcome

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Nope, black kids in poverty are absolutely more susceptible or affected to these games than anyone else. Get real. (san andreas, 50 cent)
edit on 1-7-2011 by Hiasyouwant because: (no reason given)

Pity the biggest demographic of those specific games are 20 something white suburban kids.

poor black kids are lucky if they have a yoyo, much less the latest console and game.

-sighs-

Now...you want to talk about GTA 3, (italians are going nuts) or the latest GTA 4 and the immigrants from the eastern bloc.

incidently, fun fact...before GTA3, italians never were known for crime on any level...this is clear proof of video games influencing crime

Portal has created robots to come alive and do evil testing on us

For science
(you monster)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Portal has created robots to come alive and do evil testing on us

For science
(you monster)

To be fair robots have been going insane and killing us for science since at least System Shock.

Edit: Although Half-Life was the first game that caused theoretical physicists from MIT to go on killing sprees against aliens and the military.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Are you kidding ?? Italians were never known for crime..Ever hear of the Mob?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

Donno man
That voice sounded a lot like GLADoS

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join