It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video games are bad: Heres why

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by sith9157
Are you kidding ?? Italians were never known for crime..Ever hear of the Mob?

-hits you with a dictionary opened to "sarcasm"-

And yes, of course I heard of the mob...they were in a ton of games "Mafia, Mafia 2, Godfather, etc"
-dies laughing, then comes back because he had an extra life-
edit on 1-7-2011 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
reply to post by Nosred

Donno man
That voice sounded a lot like GLADoS

Yeah it came out in the ninety's though, which is when the well known AI rebellion started of course.

And for the OP, this is the good ending of Bioshock.

How the hell is this going to cause people to go on killing sprees?
edit on 1-7-2011 by Nosred because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nosred
Portal has created robots to come alive and do evil testing on us

Are we completely forgetting TRON?!?!

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

TRON's a movie.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

How the hell is this going to cause people to go on killing sprees?
edit on 1-7-2011 by Nosred because: (no reason given)

Donno man, that sort of made me angry and violent

but only because I have yet to play through the game yet...spoilers make me mad...must bash!!!

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Hiasyouwant

Ok you have a point, but in your talk about Bioshock, the goal isn't about hunting little sister's, but to beat the game, and its a choice to harvest/kill, or save and turn them normal again. and even being a big daddy was a choice they didn't have to, they wanted to. and yes im a fan of it. Some games are evil, games like Silent hill, GTA, and other's like them. I can think of a game far worse then bioshock, i cannot remember its name but i remember you can decapitate a police officer, urinate in his head, urinate on the homeless people, and shove your gun through a cat and use it as a silencer. Which is worse, saving little kids, or decapitating law officers? I play games like bioshock and Call of duty, and sure, missions like No russian in modern warefare 2 are bad,but it hasn't changed me at all. Sure some people do extremely stupid stuff, that's where i agree with you, but not every M or mainstream game is responsible for those.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Nah that wasn't a spoiler, all the things that could be spoiled in Bioshock happen about 3/4 through the game.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

TRON's a movie.

Bite your toungue!

Epic!

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

Sir, you earn my respect, Bioshock had endings depending on what YOU, the player, did. not what the game made you do.
edit on 1-7-2011 by Headcrusher23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Can't argue with the figures.

Study: Video games make children less violent

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
In finality, I think a song is in order (careful, some cursing and bad singing...and ashley)

Hmm...perhaps it does influence some a bit...differently

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hiasyouwant
reply to post by emptyOmind

Nope, black kids in poverty are absolutely more susceptible or affected to these games than anyone else. Get real. (san andreas, 50 cent)
edit on 1-7-2011 by Hiasyouwant because: (no reason given)

Gahh. This is so... so icky. I feel dirty for having read this. I grew up in the 'ghetto' of Sacramento, not a lot of white people around. Everyone I hung out with played video games. I think it would be more accurate to say that violent people play games as much as anyone else nowadays.

Your statement is tantamount to saying blacks are stupid. Again, I feel very icky for having read your abhorrent post. You should feel ashamed of yourself.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Well the op has presented an interesting argument on the point where Video games are bad, the arguments are sound, and backed with evidence to prove his point. While it has been asked to not argue about the parents, that they will make their way into the hands of children, and drunk uncle Bill. Further that these games hold graphic imaging, bad social imaging and over all can lead to the delinquency of the children who play them over and over. And while video games are the ultimate simulators, that can affect the psychological affect on children/teens with depictions of gore and violence.
However, there are a few things that can be stated:
The human mind, and the potential of the imagination is a wondrous thing, that can be affected by the environment around it. No greater weapon of destruction or possibility of kindness lies anywhere else. With everything, it can also be argued that even some books, even the most popular ones that every one is encouraged to read can have devastating effects on peoples minds. Just the other day, I picked up a book and it was horrifying about what all was in it. Incest, murder, fratricide, rape, genocide, slavery and even the murder of an innocent person. And those were just the highlights, not to mention the people being roasted in an open fire, along with the language used. It was terrible, the lack of compassion and caring for one another, people stabbing each other in the back, was horrifying. There was one story in this book where one guy had his best friend killed so he could marry a woman. And talk about dirty, the sex that was mentioned, it was one act after another. It was terrible, well could not go to sleep on that, so I turned on the TV, check out some cartoons, they are safe right? Well after watching 15 minutes, it was shocking, where a hunter was always out trying to kill a harmless woodland creature, shooting, though missing, and then the violence, a good 10 to 20 acts between the 2. I could not stand that, and had to turn that off, figuring that I would turn on the Radio. Well that was a shock, songs about how living on the streets was bad, doing drugs, raping women, shooting cops. I was sweating then, after all what if a child were to hear that? Can’t have that, so had to switch that to the news, and what is splashed up, the current sensation about the little girl that was killed according to the prosecution, change the channel and it is more about death and destruction.
There is no safe media for children, nothing you can read, such as the bible, watch, such as a cartoon like bugs bunny, no happy stories on the news, even the very music that is popular is filled with violence of one sort or another. And if a child is that impressionable, what is society to do? You can not shield a child from the violence, the only thing is to give them a creative outlet and let them be a child.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I thought the 90s where done? Where did all this hate for the game come from? I've read a few books and played a ton of video games and I can tell you this much, i've never learned how to make a bomb or how to remove blood stains off of a fur coat from a video game. On top of that i've been shot a million times on modern warfare and never died, In mortal kombat I saw sub zero get every bone broken in his body stand up and kick this # out of the other guy. I know people that has done some REALLY stupid stuff to impress a girl, or b/c they had a dream about it. Anything and everything can cause violent and unpure thoughts....to blame one thing in particular or more than another is just stoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooopid.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Mystery_Lady

I went to check out what bio shock game you mentioned. I went to the site, and talk about getting the creeps. I actually started to get sick the first couple of minutes I was there. There is something definitely evil there.

It's a horror game. Why does nobody get that. Violence in horror is common.

Look at horror movies. Why do Christians like horror movies???

Because we think they're fun.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Take quick glimpse of Silent Hill.

In her defense, I have seen the movie and I would have done that to nurse zombies too. They aren't very empathetic sometimes. Oh, and in all fairness, they were technically already dead.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hiasyouwant
reply to post by Mister_Bit

Holy crap, really dude?, I'm saying thisis not the games I'm talking about, and haven't mentioned anything of that sort. Just because Bioshock has puzzle in it, does not make it a puzzle game.

Just because silent hill has action in it, does not make it an action game.

just because there's a bit of blood, does not make it a gore-fest game.

Or is your debate a one way thing?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
The only bad side of gaming that I can see is the time it wastes.

I think that's the worst it can do.

link   
I never understand when people seem to be so negative towards video games when movies, music, art etc is often a lot more violent, gruesome etc. Just because you can control the character, it does not mean you are some how controlling you're mind to perform the same actions. As people have mentioned before, it is the people who cant comprehend the difference between a few pixels and real life that cause these problems. In real life you dont respawn, so if anything voilent games put me off getting into those situations in real life lol.

link   
I found silent hill a bit boring frankly.

You want evil, go check out fear, or perhaps mass effect 2...or pokemon

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join