It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News.. Brownsville Levee Near Cooper Nuclear Plant in Nebraska Just Broke! Here We Go !!!!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by MBF
Why do they build these things in stupid places? The people building these things need to listen to the people that design them. It's a money game, It's cheaper to build them by the water so they don't have to pump it very far.

It's cheaper and a whole lot less risky to build these near a river. Have you considered the risk of having to pump water for miles? Near a river makes sense. Where would you propose building them?

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by nakiannunaki
Lol so why all eyes on titan??

Lol - If you have to ask then you don't need to know. but feel rest assured the world is not coming to an end anytime soon.

2nd

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
My prayers and condolences go out to the future mutants endlessly roaming the USA in search of bigmacs.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Here we go ? Where we go ?

Please stop fearmongering and paranoia ...for now everything is safe at nuclear plant

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I guess that if I knew that there was some impending diaster comming or even a good chance of diaster.

I would have started to remove the spent fuel from site.

BEFORE all the surrounding roads and bridges are closed.

I guess that would have had a negative effect on profit margins

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
My question is this. Since this river is a tributary of the Mississippi wouldn't this poison the entire Mississippi river basin as it went out to the gulf?

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I read an article somewhere yesterday saying that they had built walls around all of the crucial components of the plant. Hopefully the precautions will be successful.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Levee fails, but Brownville OK
here is the link www.omaha.com...

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by otakugenx
They have been having people evacuate in lots of places around here, and the Nuclear plant is 3 miles as the crow flies south of Brownville. Also, there are levees around the plant itself. So, I highly doubt it will affect the nuclear plant as it is right now, and here is hoping that it does not get worse. Here is and article from the Lincoln Journal Star (our local newspaper) on some of the rumors about Cooper and Fort Calhoun plants ...
journalstar.com...

Did you see the news guy who got the area view when the guy went in the helicopter and went around, he stated the nuclear plant right now looks to be surrounded by a moat. So, I'm wondering if that moat should happen to rise even more around the nuclear plant, will it turn out to be like japan's nuclear power plant, what be like repercussions, will the nuclear power plant explode? Curious. I don't know. But, that does look and sound kind of scary.

edit on 24-6-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by yogi9969

Brownville is O.K., but it looks like Atchison County, MO has been evacuated. What were the chances that this levee broke the same day that the Corps of Engineers upped the water release levels of the dams? Reports I read said that they were going to keep the flow at this level THROUGH the month of August!! How long do you think that will last? Yesterday, there was a report that the water level around the Fort Calhoun Nuclear Plant would have to rise another 3-1/2' feet before it reached "disaster level" and they claimed that it was highly unlikely. After checking NEMA reports, it showed that the water had already risen 1' foot in the last 9 days and yet the Corp still increased the water flows from the dams! They've never released water at these levels before and have no idea how this is going to fall out. You add one more thunderstorm to the equation, and only God knows what's going to happen!!

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
to all the fearmongers here nothing happened in 1993 when the same area flooded out,there are more levees around cooper and if it get to a critical stage they can blow up a few levee's on the mo. side of the river and flood the area bluff to bluff and drop the water level down to a safe level.since its a man made flood and not a act of nature insurance companys dont have to pay out so they are trying to keep from flooding more areas
edit on 24-6-2011 by Papa Sierra because: spelling

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Papa Sierra

Apparently, you didn't read the article stating the Public Works Director in Ft. Pierre, SD sent numerous e-mails at the beginning of FEBRUARY to Washington D.C. stating that if the Corp didn't start releasing water from the reservoirs that there would be a "flood of biblical proportions". The Corp claims they didn't receive that warning and they didn't start releasing water until after May 20th. Regardless of what precautions the Corp may take at this point, it may well get out of their control! Especially since more snow melt and thunderstorms are headed through the region.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
A few people on here near to calm down and stop unnecessarily scaring people into thinking this is Chernobyl v.3. You cannot compare a levee breach to a earthquake/tsunami scenario as some are trying to do. While I agree that this is potentially dangerous, it is not the same situation that comes from an unexpected tsunami triggered by a 9.0 earthquake!

The power generated from a levee breach is far less than that of a tsunami. Also, unless we have total meatheads working at this plant, which I highly doubt, they will have seen this coming and by now should have some type of plan in place. Again, this is far different from an unexpected tsunami careening across the entire plant.

The only thing I will say that's frightening and gives me pause is the fact that this is not being covered by MSM. However, my thoughts on why they are silent are this: once Americans start putting these disasters together (Joplin, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Etc.) and begin adding up the Federal dollars (I.e. Taxpayer dollars) needed to cleanup and rebuild these vast areas of the US, not to mention the crops, employment, business losses, etc., it will pale in comparison to what government is claiming to be cutting in order to reduce the deficit.

Even the "sheepish" Americans realize we are going broke. Even the "sheepish" Americans have an idea of how much we spend in foreign aid. Now, add together the few billions, not trillions, of dollars the government plans to cut from spending, coupled with military expenses and foreign aide, and dump on top of all that the billions needed to rebuild Joplin ALONE, and we are looking to cut about 10 billion from our expenses, but need an additional not budgeted amount that exceeds that to rebuild these areas through FEMA, etc., and you will find us still outspending the amount the government wants to cut.

Point being: if Americans had a clear picture of the true devastation caused by these floods and tornadoes, and the rough estimate of how much it is going to cost to rebuild our own country, I would imagine there would be cries, or at least I would hope so, to cut back or end our funds going to rebuild Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, etc.

We should be rebuilding our own country ahead of anyone else's IMO. And the hard truth is, we can no longer afford to do both and I think most people now realize this. Or are starting to at the very least.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by EthanT

What I find interesting is this is the second article from two different sources that state the news (rumors) are being spread by the internet. I believe this is the only reason the MSM is even carrying the story at all. It also shows alternative news is being monitored. Which we already knew. Keep up the good work as usual we are in the lead and forcing MSM to finally report stories they would much rather not carry.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
The MSM isn't covering this story because they don't want America to think that the Corp of Engineers messed up royally, creating a problem that could have been avoided!! Another incompetent agency!

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

Like I've said countless times, neither Chernobyl nor Fukushima were modern nuclear reactors and neither were up to safety standards. Both disasters could have been averted if proper safety measures had been taken.
What about Three Mile Island?

Was it too old? Was it up to safety standards?

You can always fall back on the last one on your list, every disaster might be averted if proper safety measures are taken. But there is always that pesky problem with...human error.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

The power generated from a levee breach is far less than that of a tsunami. Also, unless we have total meatheads working at this plant, which I highly doubt, they will have seen this coming and by now should have some type of plan in place. Again, this is far different from an unexpected tsunami careening across the entire plant.
True enough.

I would not totally discount the possibility of meatheads working at the plant though.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
What a non-event thread geez. Change the topic. "Here we go"? Here we go where?

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Very stupid and sad.

Reminds me of when they had a mass murder, and everyone hoping (assuming) it was a TEA Party member responsible.

Hoping for a nuclear incident, because you are not smart enough to appreciate nuclear power.

Just look at the exclamation points in the OPS title.

SAD.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

you are so right there,their reason to wait till May to release water is because of birds laying eggs along the river banks

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join