It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News.. Brownsville Levee Near Cooper Nuclear Plant in Nebraska Just Broke! Here We Go !!!!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Dephyle

Like it or not CNN is a reliable news source.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Daughter2

It wasn't just the company who said everything was under control, it was the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, a government agency whose job is to make sure nuclear reactors are safe.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nosred
reply to post by Dephyle

Really, I must have missed their programs warning about lack of oversight of safety equipment on oil rigs, the potential for earthquakes to cause damage in Japan and their programs about the housing bubble before 2004.

CNN didn't do any investigative reporting, them simply repeated what the company and the government told them.
edit on June 24th 2011 by Daughter2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   

It wasn't just the company who said everything was under control, it was the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, a government agency whose job is to make sure nuclear reactors are safe.

Gee, sorry, the GOVERNMENT said it was ok. Well, I can't think of anytime the government was wrong so everything must be ok.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daughter2

Gee, sorry, the GOVERNMENT said it was ok. Well, I can't think of anytime the government was wrong so everything must be ok.

Your trying too hard.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

God yes . How do You `protect` a nuclear plant that is completely submerged? ( if in fact this is the case) the answer to that is you can not.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Hey, I used dogpile.com search engine and found some stuff...

www.newspressnow.com...

Communities in Atchison County are being asked to evacuate after a levee breached three miles north of the Brownville bridge. An emergency evacuation has been ordered for those living in the Missouri River Basin, including all of Atchison County west of Interstate 29. Landgdon, Watson, Phelps City, and Nishnabotna should evacuate. “This is a large breach and water will be moving rapidly. Persons should stay out of this area if previously evacuated due to danger,” Atchison County Emergency Management said in a statement.

Kansas City Star

A levee in Atchison County, Mo., was breached earlier this evening about three miles north of the Brownville bridge, emergency management officials said. The affected area is west of Interstate 29, encompassing Langdon, Watson, Nishnabotna and Phelps City. Residents were told to evacuate the area. Read more: www.kansascity.com...=omni_popular#ixzz1QAjIvSo1

www.newspressnow.com...

Every bridge across the Missouri River from St. Joseph to Omaha is closed, as are parts of U.S. Highway 275, Missouri Highway 111, U.S. Highway 136, State Route V, State Route W, U.S. Highway 159 and Missouri Highway 118 in Atchison and Holt counties. The Missouri Department of Transportation said parts of I-29 are expected to be closed through mid-August.

Other links from NewsPressNow pertaining to the flood/levee situation are listed on this page:

2011 Flooding NewsPressNow

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Stingray77

Hey, I posted but meant to do it as a reply to you. See page 5 of this thread for links to articles.

ETA: I am so tired, I meant to U2U this message to Stingray. Sorry, oh well...

edit on 6/24/2011 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

The only thing cnn is good for is printing it out and taking it to the bathroom with you as toilet paper is just to expensive.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I found this a bit disturbing... could be our 'smoking gun' as it was written on the 20th.
Emphasis is mine...

Gov. Jay Nixon and state officials are concerned about the possibility of additional water releases from U.S. Army Corps of Engineers-operated dams. There is a possibility of Gavins Point Dam releases going above 150,000 cubic feet per second. “Summer floods really are nasty things,” Mr. Nixon said. The state has asked the Corps of Engineers to prepare inundation maps based on a flow of 200,000 cubic feet per second, Mr. Nixon said. In the next few days, water will be traveling at 13 mph past St. Joseph, versus the normal speed of 2.5 miles. That speed is multiplying the grinding effect on the river’s banks and levees. Emergency management has to expect to see the unexpected, Mr. Nixon said. The Missouri National Guard is working closely with local officials to ensure a prepared reaction rather than being surprised, said Maj. Gen. Stephen Danner, commander of Missouri Army and Air National Guard. There are concerns about heavy rain moving from the Rockies onto the Upper Plains. That could bring additional water into the Missouri River basin, the governor said. Now that the 150,000 cubic feet per second flow has reached St. Joseph, federal, state and local officials say it will continue for at least another two months. Rosecrans Memorial Airport has been identified as one of the areas the state has chosen to fight for and win.

Uh-huh... fergit the nuke plants... save the war machines. Geez.

Full Article: www.newspressnow.com...
edit on 6/24/2011 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   

reply to post by Dephyle

Oh really? Is it now?

CNN controversies

Lets all forget all the times CNN has been caught either making huge mistakes in reporting due to shabby/unskilled journalism, overly biased reporting and/or blatent "admitted" lying and just call it a "reliable news source".

Sorry my friend, I disagree. In fact, I'd say both CNN and FOX are a couple of the most unreliable news sources I could ever drudge up without naming David Icke sites and Prison Planet.

We both have a huge difference in what we would call reliable.

MM

edit on 24-6-2011 by Mr Mask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Am I the only one who finds this suspicious?

It's like a nuclear plant breakdown is the new trend these days.First it's oil,then mass animal die-offs then earth quakes and floods and volcanoes,and now nuclear plants,

A lot of the disasters seems timed or purposely.I mean honestly,how can you accidentally spill so much oil every year?

Here's a scenario to consider..Step 1 cause a disaster..step 2 the president comes in to save the day..step 3 get votes for next election

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Stingray77

"So, guys, whats the latest ?!
CNN showing some crap about Barry Manilow ... "

Kind of like the band on the Titanic continuing to play as the ship went down.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Reply to post by Mr Mask

Awww. Low blow man. I am secure enough that I can laugh at myself as well as others. Lighten up.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Well what about the Ft. Calhoun Nuclear Plant too? You do know that there were 2 being flooded. This pic of Ft Calhoun was from around June 17th.

And this is some info about an update in status on Cooper on June 20th. The reason I am mentioning this is that they were already heading into deep do doo (sludge) before this happened. Not good....

As was declared at Fort Calhoun on June 7th, another “Notification of Unusual Event” was declared at Cooper Nuclear Station on June 20th. This notification was issued because the Missouri River’s water level reached an alarming 42.5 feet. Apparently, Cooper Station is advising that it is unable to discharge sludge into the Missouri River due to flooding, and therefore “overtopped” its sludge pond.

Of course this info had to come from Canada. It will be some time before we hear a recent update. Right now the sh%$ is just hitting the fan.

Two Nebraska Nuclear Plants Partially Submerged by Missouri Floodwaters

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
God damn its getting apocalyptic!!!

Im praying for humanity on a daily basis.
edit on 24/6/2011 by EmeraldGreen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Here is another article about previous problems at Cooper. It these weren't fixed, it is a major set-up for disaster. Read what the problem was!
And refusal to cooperate?

The Cooper Nuclear Power Plant has had a history of problems for several years; never quite up to snuff for standards. This next linking article describes a problem in 2010 with a "refusal to cooperate." crisisjones.wordpress.com... "

“An NRC Information Notice subsequently issued nearly a year later (NRC IN-94-27) indicated that below grade rooms in the reactor and turbine buildings had extensive leakage with rising water levels. The notice stated that 'the floor drain system had backed up so that standing water from within areas known to be radiologically contaminated had migrated out into designated clean areas.'1 The NRC inspectors noted that plant personnel 'had not established measures to divert the water away from important components.' For example, water levels rising inside the reactor building impinged on electrical cables and equipment such as the Reactor Core Isolation Cooling (RCIC) pump room causing the circuitry to ground out."

Nebraska's SE Cooper Nuclear Power Plant in Crisis with NW Missouri Levees Bursting; Fort Calhoun Nuclear Site Flood Waters

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
What would happen if... this is almost too terrifying.
What would happen if the plants become completely submerged, the rods melt and there is a resulting radioactive steam cloud released. It would be huge. And wouldn't it continue to steam, and steam, and steam. It couldn't be stopped, could it?

Is this a likely scenario? Someone tell me it isn't.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by deanGI5

I found the story here:

journalstar.com...

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
What would happen if the plants become completely submerged, the rods melt and there is a resulting radioactive steam cloud released. It would be huge. And wouldn't it continue to steam, and steam, and steam. It couldn't be stopped, could it?

Take a look at the Fukushima video and webcam and you can see the answer to your question realtime. Take a look at my fallout map and you can see one possible fallout scenario for the 4-state area around the Cooper plant. If you live inside the blue circle, I would be terribly concerned about where you're going to move to if this thing blows. Outside of it, well, not as concerned. I live east of the plant, pretty far but still... if this thing blows I will probably be stepping up my plans to leave the country for good.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join