It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Arrest Woman For Videotaping Them From Her Front Yard: (Wait till you see this tape!)

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
Well you would certainly be in the minority then as most people would take offense to this happening to them. I also believe you would as it's human nature to not want to have your privacy invaded.

Your argument is based on the premise that you have privacy in public. You don't. Argument invalidated.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
dont go that far man, most police play by the rules and are okay people. this day & age they police are givin too much power & and not enough responsibility, that isnt their fault but ours.
edit on 22-6-2011 by stevooo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

Actually in Illinois it is illegal to film someone without their permission even police. If the law here states that this lady did nothing against any of the states laws then there is really nothing more to talk about and she is due a nice settlement I would imagine...

Actually not. Taking audio is considered by some in Illinois illegal without consent but that is being challenged in court and ACLU is all over it too. Not to mention press rights groups etc. So you can take pictures / video to your hearts content in Illlinois too.
edit on 22/6/2011 by PsykoOps because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by stevooo

dont go that far man, most police play by the rules and are okay people. this day & age they police are givin too much power & and not enough responsibility, that isnt their fault but ours.

Police need to be educated on what exactly they swore an oath to uphold and protect because from what I see, none of them have any clue what the constitution is. None of them understand that they are public servants not shirtless thugs.

Its so sad because the police actually used to be respected. Now the entire country hates them.
edit on 22-6-2011 by e11888 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kitilani

Originally posted by unityemissions

So why did mister handcuffed for no reason get let go? Those good honest cops either let him go because they are good honest cops or they handcuffed him without arresting him.

I'll answer that, many get handcuffs put on so this way they don't do something stupid while the officer is doing his/her investigation. Like when they call in the suspects car and ID and check for warrants they may have or may have not been issued for that suspect.

It's called being temporarily detained. From an those officers standpoint, I bet, they were just being cautious of a possible suspect that may or may not have warrants out. Not arrested. Now if you get hauled to the station. I would fairly assume that you are being arrested.

She was acting like they were doing a Martin Luther King beating to that suspect, for crying out loud.

She deserved what she got.
edit on 22-6-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
The officer stated multiple times that "he did not feel safe". Beware, this will now be used as a legal trigger by them. Once they state that they do not feel safe, they are then given a lot greater legal leeway. It is not against the law anywhere to stand on your own property and video tape in public, but once the subject of officer safety is mentioned, if he instructs you to go in your house for the officers safety, you'd better comply, because in court the cop will win. Will be interesting to see how this turns out.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by e11888

Police need to be educated on what exactly they swore an oath to uphold and protect because from what I see, none of them have any clue what the constitution is. None of them understand that they are public servants not shirtless thugs.

Its so sad because the police actually used to be respected. Now the entire country hates them.

and people should understand that the Us Supreme Court has ruled many times now that an officer is not here to protect the individual, but society as a whole. If you are going to state that police should be educated, then please follow your own advice and educate yourself on how the laws work, how your rights work, and what obstruction and interfering in an investigation is, coupled with failure to obey a lawful command.

Its only fair that if you want the cops "educated" that the citizens should be "educated" as well.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
First off, I can NOT believe that they arrested the woman on her own property!

Second, as another poster mentioned, I wish she had gone to her front door, held it wide open and continued to video the events. I know the police can not enter a home, unless they have probable cause, or a warrant.

Last, I would love to know what the outcome of that "arrest" was.

Personally, I could see if she was antagonizing the officer(s), disrupting, interfering, etc. She was doing NON of the above.

I hope I never have any kind of event like that. I would not be crying while they were taking me away. And I probably would not go very willingly.

What is this country coming to??

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
She's very very lucky that she wasn't beaten or stripped searched the way this woman was, when she called police for help. I don't want to embed this video, as it may be upsetting for women to watch.
www.youtube.com...

This is what happens when you militarize the police. It's only going to get worse, it really is. Just the other day a man who shot and killed an unarmed man who was cuffed behind his back at a train station, spent 11 months in jail and was set free.

Even if you catch these thugs harassing and abusing their powers, they still get away with it. Be prepared, because this is only the beginning.

link   

What total BS! They have taken the power by virture of the badge, gun, "blue code" and they ignore their responsibility to "serve and protect" in favor of exercising their power. That is precisely their fault not the taxpayers that pay their salary.

The citizens need to take back the power by instituting citizen review panels and holding the cops accountable to the same laws any citizen is. No more internal investigations that just cover up LEO corruption and brutality.

Of course not all cops are bad; but when the good ones cover up for the bad one they are guilty by association.
edit on 22-6-2011 by whaaa because: red shoes

link   

Originally posted by plainsmen83
The officer stated multiple times that "he did not feel safe". Beware, this will now be used as a legal trigger by them. Once they state that they do not feel safe, they are then given a lot greater legal leeway. It is not against the law anywhere to stand on your own property and video tape in public, but once the subject of officer safety is mentioned, if he instructs you to go in your house for the officers safety, you'd better comply, because in court the cop will win. Will be interesting to see how this turns out.

You are missing the point. She was not chastised for standing on her front lawn. She brought attention to herself based on her actions, and comments prior to her recording. She was given multiple warnings to back off and she refused.

Its not against the law to stand on your property and watch law enforcement.
It can be illegal to take actions on your property that causes an officer to divert their attention to you, such as this case.

And once again people in the thread go with jsut the video, while ignoring what occured prior to the lady recording. Does she have something to hide that she starts recording after the fact? Whats the possibility this lady hates cops, baited them by interfering, then flips the camera on when the cops take actions against her?

Funny how thats always ignored by the cop haters in the forums.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by MitchL61
reply to post by EmeraldGreen

I agree. She failed to follow his simple instructions, which he repeated several times. She was being confrontational, the officer told her he wanted her to go inside because he did not feel safe, she should have complied at that point. These cops have a very difficult job, people need to lighten up on them. Yes there are some who get way out of line, we've seen the evidence right here on ATS, but in this particular situation I feel the officer was within his right to ask her to go back inside, for her safety as well as his. Kudos to you EmeraldGreen, for having the guts to take an unpopular stance!

By your logic cops can haul anyone from the street to jail and just say "I didn't feel safe". Watch the video again. It is not about safety at all. It's about the video. If the officer is concerned for their safety would they ask someone to step back into their house? No. They would cuff and search the person and if nothing is found they'd set them loose. That's how a real cop would handle a safety situation. If they think she may be armed and dangerous having her step back few feet wont increase their safety at all unless they think "she's a woman, she wont hit anything from that distance" or something.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blazer
She was trying to provoke them within the confines of the law. I don't know why she started crying when they arrested her, she clearly could have avoided arrest if she had just stepped back when asked. I almost think she wanted to provoke an arrest and be taken away in tears just so she could make a few hundred dollars off the youtube video.

So according to your position, Rosa Parks should have just given up her seat to a white man. She should have just gone to the back of the bus and not attempted to provoke anyone. She must have been trying to get arrested so that she could become a civil rights icon.

I'm sorry but if we don't stand up for our own rights, who will?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

and people should understand that the Us Supreme Court has ruled many times now that an officer is not here to protect the individual, but society as a whole. If you are going to state that police should be educated, then please follow your own advice and educate yourself on how the laws work, how your rights work, and what obstruction and interfering in an investigation is, coupled with failure to obey a lawful command.

Its only fair that if you want the cops "educated" that the citizens should be "educated" as well.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Really? So if the officer told the woman to strip down naked because he didnt feel safe with her fully clothed? Could be hiding a weapon! Then what? As absurd as that may be, where exactly do we draw the line here? Id say at the property that she owns. The police didnt feel safe? Move. If you didnt feel safe on the shoulder of a highway would you demand the street to move? Threaten to arrest it if it didnt listen to you while raging on your powertrip? You do not order me to go into my own house on my own property. I am not your slave.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by summer5

and again, your post is part of the problem because it demonstrates a complete and total lack of understanding of how the law works, how your rights work, and what can occur when a person interferes in a police matter.

If I had reason to tell the lady to go inside, and she goes and stands in her doorway while continuing actions that caused me to divert my attention in the first place, I dont need a warrant to enter the house to make an arrest.

People really need to learn how the law works.
People really need to learn how their civil rights work.
People really need to understand how the 4th amendment works, and understand that it does NOT apply to the individual, but the government.

If we are dealing with a person, and we have 3rd parties interfering, do you not understand that the actions of the 3rd party can play a part in increasing the danger of the situation? Why do you guys always assume the officers are trying to hide something?

Has it never occured to you and others that there is another party present other than law enforcement? Namely the person we are dealing with?

Do you not think that by recording whats going on, that those actions wont piss off the person we are dealing with to the extent of escalating the situation?

Do you think that a person who is being arrested will be perfectly fine with being recorded by a 3rd party and wont take any actions to go after that person?

You guys have a one track mind and continually ignore the voerall situation in an effort to go after the cops.

Please learn the law, your rights, how they all work before offering anymore suggestions.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
This right here is where she went wrong. As has been stated many many many times before, we dont care if people record us provided it does not place anyone else in danger, and does not interfere with our actions. The officer explained why he felt she needed to go inside. Her actions interfered with what was going on.

Actually there was no interference at all. "Good cops" would've just ignored her or said Hi or something. You claim to be a cop then you should know that it doesn't even remotely qualify as interference to film cops. Not even if you're not on your own yard.

Also, as with other videos coming out, I am curious as to what occured prior to her taping. The officer noted her behavior prior to taping, which tells me she made herself known to the cops by either actions or words when it first occured.

Even if she did something then it's on dash cam but that doesn't really matter considering the fact that whatever she did wasn't anything illegal. She wasn't arrested for that.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
My sentiments actually. She could of made her little film from her window and all of this, would of been avoided.
Her stupidity, Her fault.

Unfortunately, I agree with that.

Case closed. She was INTERFERING with his investigation. And maybe he worded himself wrong about the Obstruction of Justice. Should of used Interfering instead. All I see is her causing a scene and him keeping his cool while she was clearly confrontational in it all.

The problem is that as a tax paying, property owning adult, no one is going to tell me I have to go inside because it makes them feel uneasy to have me come out onto my lawn. Call me an ignorant American for that if anyone must but I stopped being told when to go inside a long time ago.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

What total BS! They have taken the power by virture of the badge, gun, "blue code" and they ignore their responsibility to "serve and protect" in favor of exercising their power. That is precisely their fault not the taxpayers that pay their salary.

The citizens need to take back the power by instituting citizen review panels and holding the cops accountable to the same laws any citizen is. No more internal investigations that just cover up LEO corruption and brutality.
edit on 22-6-2011 by whaaa because: red shoes

How exactly are we supposed to serve and protect by not exercising any authority?

Also, as with others, please take the time to learn how the law works, how your rights work and quit stereotyping all cops. Its based on nothing more than your personal opinion of what you think should happen, verse the real world and how laws actually work.

link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

When my husband worked for a security company, he was filmed every single day on the job. He had many many people film him with their cell phone cameras when ever he had to handle a situation, and never once did he tell them to stop filming or threaten them in any way.

If these officers don't want to be filmed, then maybe they need to find another job. Good luck though, because at nearly every job, a person is on camera. Be it in an office, warehouse, store, etc.

If they have nothing to hide, and are doing nothing abusive with their powers then they have nothing to fear.

link   

They know what the deal is. soem just dont care. they can arrest you for anything they want, if you disagree then you are resisting arrest... thats how they get people into the system. they know what they should be doing the bad ones just dont care. they have to much power these days and we need to take it back from them.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join