It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12 Facts About Military Spending That Will Make Your Head Explode

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Franklin D. Roosevelt said it best.

He tells us to beware of the Military Idustrial complex!

youtu.be...

...eh already posted....can a mod remove

edit on 21-6-2011 by TheMur because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMur
What an individual spends his money on will reflect on his desires needs and priorities, no one in the goverment has to tell us what they care about, all we have to do is look at the recipts in there shopping bags.

"Gee, Darling. I don't know WHAT happened to that trillion or two. Can't find a receipt ANYwhere!"

I wish We actually COULD see the receipts.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
You know when you stop and think about it, that would be a great litmus test for any potential candidate for the Presidency.

Anyone brave enough to stand up and say, cut military spending and let's pay our teachers, policemen and Fire fighters a bit more has my vote!

Will it happen?

Sure, just make sure you are carrying a huge umbrella that day, for all the flying pig poop.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

That would indeed be great!

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by TomServo
The same could be said about Welfare... those numbers are staggering as well. www.usgovernmentspending.com...

So, would we rather pay staggering amounts to prospering defense jobs and soldiers Or to freeloaders?

Or how about the People who were laid off, cannot find jobs, lost Their life's accumulation and are cold and hungry and living on the street?

Rather than pay for war (THAT's a noble cause
), let's help out Our fellow Humans in need in this degrading and wretched time.
edit on 6/21/2011 by Amaterasu because: Smiley glitch

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by dilapidated
reply to post by MIDNIGHTSUN

The Pentagon spends more on war than all 50 states combined spend on health, education, welfare, and safety

that fact really sums it up

Yeah, it says theyre willing to spend what they have to so you have a place for your education, welfare cases, and for public safety. Dont you think if they didnt need to spend what they need do for us they wouldnt? Theres your reality check.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Get real. The biggest expense the US government has, which is the worst sink hole in history, are under ENTITLEMENTS. Read this as social security, Medicaid, and Medicare, and various welfare programs. This is what is bankrupting the US and this is what is sucking the life out of our infrastructure. Abolish every single entitlement program and put the responsibility for your life and welfare back on you and your family. The US federal government should pay salaries and other benefits to its employees only - period.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

And fools like you will come right around and vote for democrats when it is absolutely clear that the worst president in recent histoy is in office rigt now. This president spent untold hundreds of billions of dollars to keep banks, union car companies, and union teachers, union police and union firefighters paid - all the while NOT allowing centuries of bankruptcy law to operate according to US statute and legal precedent. US bankruptcy laws were put in place and developed over the centuries this nation has existed precisely so that small investors like you and me avoided as much harm as possible. Clear failure was rewarded, union members protected, and the rest of us were screwed.
Wake up and look at the facts.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MarksThoughts

You have lost touch with reality, my GOP friend.

Those programs you refer to as 'entitlement' programs are paid for by the people for whom they are designed.

Are you seriously telling me we should cut Medicare and Medicaid before we stop building Nuclear Warheads?

The US currently has over 11000 nuclear warheads capable of levelling the entire planet over 400 times.

But, it doesn't matter that Grandpa worked for 40 years as a public school teacher, he can fend for himself (now) and stop sucking off the government teat!

You, sir, are a true humanitarian.

Maybe it's true that we'll get what we pay for.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarksThoughts

Get real. The biggest expense the US government has, which is the worst sink hole in history, are under ENTITLEMENTS. Read this as social security, Medicaid, and Medicare, and various welfare programs. This is what is bankrupting the US and this is what is sucking the life out of our infrastructure.

No... It's military spending. Stop spending on the military and help the People out.

Abolish every single entitlement program and put the responsibility for your life and welfare back on you and your family.

Ahhhh.... I see You want to see hundreds of thousands with no where to live, no food to eat, no clothes to wear - starving in the street. Yeah, that's all good and well when there are jobs to be had for any willing to work. These days the number of unemployed is huge. But One must count not ONLY the People on unemployment insurance (that's what the gov uses) but also those who have slipped off the rolls and are still looking for work. I know MANY professionals who are in the same boat I am in. They were laid off - and now no One is hiring.

And some, like Me, who will take anything - I would take anything that doesn't require Me to stand (health issues) - STILL can't get a job. Many are in Their 50's and older. With 50+ other applicants, most in Their 20's and 30's, it's nigh impossible to be hired if One is older.

But I guess We should starve or freeze to death in the winter. That is a FAR better solution than any other here.

The US federal government should pay salaries and other benefits to its employees only - period.

While They watch hundreds of thousands die of starvation. Like in Biafra or Ethiopia. Awesome.
edit on 6/21/2011 by Amaterasu because: ooops

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I thought the U.S government was suppose to work in the best interests of the people. I didn't know that the best interests of the people was to become poor and enjoy a ruined economy while killing a bunch of brown people. If that is the case then the U.S government is doing a mighty fine job in serving the people.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarksThoughts

And fools like you

Excuse Me?

will come right around and vote for democrats

The two-party system is a farce - they are the two arms of the same beast.

when it is absolutely clear that the worst president in recent histoy is in office rigt now.

Nah. He's just more of the same ol' [snip].

This president spent untold hundreds of billions of dollars to keep banks, union car companies, and union teachers, union police and union firefighters paid - all the while NOT allowing centuries of bankruptcy law to operate according to US statute and legal precedent.

He's merely advancing the agenda.

US bankruptcy laws were put in place and developed over the centuries this nation has existed precisely so that small investors like you and me avoided as much harm as possible. Clear failure was rewarded, union members protected, and the rest of us were screwed.

While I don't disagree with You, this is, like I said, MOTSOS and advancing the agenda.

Wake up and look at the facts.

Oh I have. I see many, many, many People who never would have thought They would be unemployed, homeless, destroyed and trying to cope in Their shell-shock. I see a beast waving its two arms distracting the public while in the back room, the agenda moves forward.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
The problem with the $780 billion spent annually on 'defense' is that it is a staple in our spending and any sudden shocks (reductions) in these expenses would immediately cripple GDP. War is now our greatest export, and the problem is that I'm scared to see what the short term effects would be if we ended all wars immediately and simultaneously.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

[
12. The U.S. has 5% of the world's population -- but almost 50% of the world's total military expenditure

number one in my list;
it says enough, it says it all

nations just like individual are defined by what they do. (not by what they say)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Whether this list is 100% accurate or not is almost.irrelevant. So it's off a few billion $$$?
The simple fact of the matter is we are.spending trillions to save a few.pennies a gallon at the pumps.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Now check this out.......

Trade Offs

Taxpayers in The United States will pay $122.0 billion for Proposed Afghanistan war spending for FY2011. For the same amount of money, the following could be provided:

62.5 million Children Receiving Low-Income Healthcare for One Year OR
1.9 million Elementary School Teachers for One Year OR
2.1 million Firefighters for One Year OR
16.0 million Head Start Slots for Children for One Year OR
27.6 million Households with Renewable Electricity - Solar Photovoltaic for One Year
73.7 million Households with Renewable Electricity-Wind Power for One Year OR
15.6 million Military Veterans Receiving VA Medical Care for One Year OR
25.1 million People Receiving Low-Income Healthcare for One Year OR
1.8 million Police or Sheriff's Patrol Officers for One Year OR
15.5 million Scholarships for University Students for One Year OR
22.0 million Students receiving Pell Grants of $5550.

This sucks and how!

costofwar.com...

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I'm all open to cut on the military and transfer that money to health care, education, social services etc.
The numbers show that we easily could...

Although, there is one important thing to think about!
If America stops funding the army, they won't have the biggest army in the world anymore which could be dangerous since other countries have a lot of reasons to hate America has they could counter-attack just for the sake of revenge.

This would probably be a good argument to keep funding the army even if I know it is all a lie and the TPTB could easily put an end to most wars around the globe.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
One thing which I have never understood about government spending, and perhaps you guys could fill me in, is how it costs more to do X job as a result of man power required.

As an organization we have 7 people in the IT Dept and 5 branches. All 7 of us are kept on site at our main branch. We are all on a salary. If 5 of us have to go out to another branch for a day then we are still on the same salary and the cost of sending us out only occurs in fuel. Fuel is not being used when we are on the site.

I see all these reports on the news about how much a police operation cost, a military operation's cost in man power (they usually add the cost of equipment later) and wonder why. Do they hire in new police just for that operation? Surely they're salaried and get paid the same if they are sitting in an office or out on a "mission". As far as I know, military staff and police (for example) don't get paid very well anyway.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Not to make this a Right v Left thing.. Because it's really not. The Left will do the same..

However. All this talk of cutting the budget yet save for libertarian conversatives.. I haven't seen one of them corner the insane amount of money we spend on the military. Not even mention it.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join