It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing mirage image appears over Xan'an river in China 17/6/11

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnySeagull

Johny, as a viewer of ITN news, I can tell you it is a credible source, I have no doubt in my mind that this is a real report as I recognise the reporters voice.

This is NOT a hoax on the part of ITN, I'm not saying they haven't been hoaxed, but the clip is genuine as far as coming from them.

Being a major British independent news network though, they wouldn't be hoaxed that easily.

EDIT: I hadn't seen this, but an earlier poster has actually linked to the original story on the ITN website

news.itn.co.uk...
edit on 18/6/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
How gullible can people be?

Sheesh...

A whole city mirage.... that can be FILMED??

What?

Is there something in the water at ATS?

Can I have some please...

:shk: :shk:

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
It's about flooding. I can't believe the reaction here and other sites about this posting. It's called editing.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Geez people, just spent a few minutes on Google Earth and was able to find the city. This is the west view from the Guang yu bridge. Everything is there, where it's supposed to be. Sheep.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by snoggered

hmm well if you think this is a HOAX then you may want to read THE HOLOGRAPHIC UNIVERSE by Michael Talbot. There are stranger things that have happened on Holographic Earth than you even know.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
From the gesture the woman is making, I imagine she's saying it looks like the buildings are floating on the mist.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
when they mention about the buildings and trees and such, if you pay attention you can clearly see the water flowing around the trees...its really some kind of a rather bad taste of a joke.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Digital_Reality
I'm calling BS all the way. There is no way this is possible. Please use your brain on this one people.

Instead of being so dismissive, perhaps you should use your brain and do some research,
There is an Island offshore the mainland in N.E China where this happens regularly, There is a mirage of a whole city out in the sea........ so yes....... it is quite possible.
It is quite famous.

PEACE,
RK

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
The fact that so many of you are going along with this has me seriously concerned about the "looney" infiltration of ATS. It's great to be curious, but c'mon. Have some common sense and don't believe everything you see

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
All I'm finding from the people believing this is "You're all sheep!" without any half-decent reason to believe this is anything more than flooding. This video is coming out of China, for #'s sake. Have you never heard of an island before?

Its actually quite scary that China can have Americans believe such insane claims with just one poorly made video.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I am completely stumped by this. I really don't think this is a mirage or a Fata morgana, as a mirage wouldn't be this detailed and Fata morgana often distorts the image/s.

Found some unedited footage:

ALS

reply to post by blupblup

that can be filmed???

You do realise that a mirage is not a hallucination.

In contrast to a hallucination, a mirage is a real optical phenomenon which can be captured on camera, since light rays actually are refracted to form the false image at the observer's location. What the image appears to represent, however, is determined by the interpretive faculties of the human mind. For example, inferior images on land are very easily mistaken for the reflections from a small body of water

Wiki
edit on 18-6-2011 by ALOSTSOUL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
For all you naysayers,
This happens quite regularly at Penglai in the North East of China,

www.google.com... EQsAQ

(A mirage appears off the shore of Penglai City in eastern China's Shandong Province on Sunday, May 7, 2005. Photo: China Photo Press)
Thousands of tourists and local residents witnessed a mirage of high clarity lasting for four hours off the shore of Penglai City in east China's Shandong Province on Sunday.

Mists rising on the shore created an image of a city, with modern high-rise buildings, broad city streets and bustling cars as well as crowds of people all clearly visible.

The city of Penglai had been soaked by two days of rain before the rare weather phenomenon occurred.

The mirage took place during the week-long Labor Day holiday. The small city received over 30,000 tourists on Sunday.

Experts said that many mirages have been recorded in Penglai, on the tip of Shandong Peninsula, throughout history, which made it known as a dwelling place of the gods.

They explained that a mirage is formed when moisture in the air becomes warmer than the temperature of sea water, which refracts rays of sunlight to create reflections of the landscape in the sky.

It has been happening for 1000's of years,
One of the Emperors made a holiday palace at one particular place just so he could look out across the ocean and see the "ghost" city.

PEACE,
RK

edit on 18-6-2011 by Rigel Kent because: try to fix link

edit on 18-6-2011 by Rigel Kent because: link is fixed

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
For those of you calling this a hoax, I would hold your tongue for now, because I have seen similar threads on ATS with videos and pictures, over the years.

Can this happen Yes, has it happened in the past yes.

Why would someone go to the lengths to hoax something like this, especially a large news outlet?

news.itn.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ALOSTSOUL

Yeah I'm well aware of that, but you're saying to me that the video in the OP, complete with buildings, lights and all manner of other things... is or even could be a mirage?

Get a grip.

Mirage may be hills on the horizon, a coastline of something, trees..... but a city, floating complete with signs, lights and so on?

Okaaaaaayyyy

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
For those of you calling this a hoax, I would hold your tongue for now, because I have seen similar threads on ATS with videos and pictures, over the years.

Can this happen Yes, has it happened in the past yes.

Show me one with lights and signs for shops and all the stuff in the vid in the OP.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Here is the link to the original story. This is not a hoax! This is just a simple mirage...stranger things have happened.

Link to original story & video here :

news.itn.co.uk...

Next time, before screaming "HOAX" try to use your brain.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
reply to post by ALOSTSOUL

Yeah I'm well aware of that, but you're saying to me that the video in the OP, complete with buildings, lights and all manner of other things... is or even could be a mirage?

Get a grip.

Mirage may be hills on the horizon, a coastline of something, trees..... but a city, floating complete with signs, lights and so on?

Okaaaaaayyyy

What mechanism exists in nature that can choose only to create mirages of natural objects? I'm not saying tha this video is a mirage, but I'm perplexed by your idea that trees and coastline can be reflected through the atmosphere, but metal and concrete structures are somehow unable to be shown in a mirage?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

I didn't say it wasn't a hoax. Networks have done things to manipulate the masses, and do it on a regular basis, but something like this has no point.

What concerns me is that with all the people over their not a single one posted on Youtube, but that could be due to internet blocks and restrictions.

I am searching for the old threads on ATS, with a similar floating city image. I believe it was in China as well.

edit on 18-6-2011 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
A thread last year was like this and I explain the heavy fossil fuel industry at least around coastal cities create reflected refracted images in the polluted Chinese sky. Here is an image I put in my picture folder but I don't have the link to the explanation of the atmospheric phenomena.

Too bad I never saved a link it had more spectacular images and I somehow believe this is all old news from several years ago. You can see fishermen head out to sea towards a seemingly coast that is simply not there.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
this would be world wide news and its not.
And the "interview" with lady just from her hand gesture looks like she is talking about the rise in water

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join