It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Scoriada

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!

If you're so bloody proud of your heritage, go back, for chrissakes! I've lived in Texas all my life, and when I was told I would have to learn spanish in order to pass high school, I rebelled and cheated on every blankity-blank paper I was handed. Why? Because There is no reason on this planet I should learn to speak a language that is only used by a third world country. Spanish from Spain is one thing, folks; by the way, the crap they speak in Mexico is a bastardization (yes, a legit word, mods) of spanish, indian, and whatever else they thought would sound neat at the time.
I lived in Louisiana, and learned to speak creole, and if I move to another country, I will honor the residents by learning to speak their language. If you think you're too good, too stupid, or too proud to adapt and conform, then GTFO.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Scoriada

speekee de englee, or el leavo.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by bunnydisaster
reply to post by Night Star

I have never found that the Spanish speaking population makes any less of an attempt to communicate in English than any other non-English speakers.
And, when you say "We are trying to get english as the primary language on the federal level. Just that we have never had to fight for it before" who is 'WE'.

If the spanish speakers were making as much of an attempt to communicate, there would be no need to press one for english, have signs everywhere in spanish, jobs that require us to speak spanish, manuals in english and spanish etc. I am thinking that perhaps it is because of the overwhelming number of illegals, many who have no desire to become a citizen and have no loyalties to us.

When I say 'WE', I mean all of us all across the USA who want english as the official language.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by bunnydisaster

seasonal migrant workers

...are not MS. But MS tends to migrate to where the seasonal workers have gotten comfortable. They are easy prey for the gangbangers.

No need for me to rethink anything. And no need for ignorant comments either.

Bless Your Heart

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
If you believe in evolution, then you should be prepared to evolve.
I am sure that you have never had the need to take a class to learn a foreign language (unless you are in college), but if you looked into it, you would find that there is a waiting list of at least a year.
Okay. Try taking a foreign language class. In LA. While working a full time job.
English is one of the hardest languages in the world to learn. (Mandarin Chinese is the hardest).
That's a lot to ask of someone that is trying to pay rent, buy food and keep the lights on.
Myself, I embrace the chance to learn something new. I actually feel kind of sorry for people that refuse to learn something new because of some misguided notion that it isn't "right". I like Mexican food, and it wouldn't be here if there weren't people from Mexico to feed it to us. Also, coming from a state that is largely agricultural, I find it very hard to believe that there is anyone else willing to do the grueling work in the fields and orchards that supply so many of "Real Americans" with the fruits, nuts and vegetables that they take for granted.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
wow :p it took me 3 months in north florida to learn English... this guy is giving a testimony to American senators about something concerning America, he has to do it in English o_o it's just common sense. I'd never speak Spanish in front of someone who doesnt, thats just rude

edit on 17-6-2011 by aNdReSk because:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

Originally posted by TDawgRex
That's why you allow the "Asians", as your press calls them., get away with so much crime.

It's not just the press calling Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis and Sri Lankans ''Asians'', because anyone who has a brain in their head will also refer to these Asian people as... er... Asians.

I don't know what your country is like, but over here there is no racially biased criteria involved in lawmaking and criminal justice proceedings.

Please provide a valid link which supports your notion that Asians ''get away with so much crime'' in the UK.

Nah, didn't think so...

Originally posted by TDawgRex
And now they have Sharia law zones? So much for common sense.

Acknowledging Sharia law as an option to solve civil cases which involve Muslims, who wish to go through their own legal process, is common sense.

Christians, Jews, Sikhs and/or other can also go down this same avenue of mutually agreed civil court action.

I can't believe how uninformed so many of you yanks are !

edit on 17-6-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

Thank you for saying uniformed rather than igonrant.

I have spent some time in England and my Grandfather is from Scotland, however I am an American citizen. But nope, I do not know all your laws and have been, how shall we say, sternly lectured.

When I travel I try to speak the countries language. It's just common courtesy.

I read the Mail (or as some call it "Fail"). the Sun, Financial Times , Reuters, and occasionally News of the World.

They have all said that their are No-Go zones throughout your cities. Due to violence and immigrant sensibilities.

I guess I have a problem with political correctness gone amok. This guy testifying was just being rude to provoke a reaction, which he got.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by bunnydisaster

You don't just move to a foreign Country, make it your home and expect or demand that everyone in that Country now speak your language. You don't expect or demand that now new signs will be put up in your language, manuals written in your language. You don't expect people to have to dial one for their own language because you want services explained in your language. You don't expect employers to demand that their workers speak your language. How very rude and arrogant.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I am so glad that the senator stopped him from speaking spanish. My immigrant family had to learn to speak English BEFORE they even came to the USA!! These spanish/mexicans need to be told that if you do not speak english you will not be granted any services and will be classified as an enemy combatant subject to a hellfire missile.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
If the guy had a translator then whats the problem with speaking spannish? It's not like it some sort of crime to speak his first language. God what is wrong with some people.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
what about the native americans what if they refuse to speak the white mans language, u gys are messed up.

u wont be satisfied until everything goes your way your culture not someone elses even if they were here first
edit on 17-6-2011 by HisMajesty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
Who's paying for the interpreter? If this is like most court cases and such, then a person has a right to an interpreter to be paid for by the taxpayers. How backwards are we? We allow DMV tests to be taken in Spanish, we supply interpreters for all legal and I believe health-related matters, etc.

Exactly what is the incentive to learn English? Our signs in stores, products, all have both Spanish and English. We have enabled all immigrants, legal or otherwise, to avoid having to learn English. You can shop, work, go to court, pass a driving test, and apply for benefits -- all without having to speak English.

The immigrants are not to blame in my opinion, we are for allowing such accommodations and then expecting people not to use them. Eliminate the dual language support, and people will be forced to learn Englush. I think it's kind of ridiculous that we offer free ESL classes in most states paid for by taxpayers, but then we also pay for the conveniences in case they don't speak English. And people wonder why we are all broke.

Here's a better idea, do away with the 14th amendment, or at least alter it so the 'anchor baby' crap no longer applies.

And while we are at it cut off all government aid and service to illegals.

Do these 2 things and a multitude of problems will be solved. Then we don't have to worry about what language they speak because 95% of them will go back where they came from anyway once the red carpet is rolled up for good.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by HisMajesty
what about the native americans what if they refuse to speak the white mans language, u gys are messed up.

u wont be satisfied until everything goes your way your culture not someone elses even if they were here first
edit on 17-6-2011 by HisMajesty because: (no reason given)

Go to another Country and force them to accept 'your' language and see how that works for you.
What we don't want is for one culture to impose on everyone else in the USA. All other cultures did not have a problem with speaking english. Now you have to be bilingual to get a job and provide for your family in many places. Now our new immigrants who have already learned english should have to speak spanish as well?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Well this is no giant surprise. An ATS English language thread that GASP mostly bashes immigrants. I love how those spouting off the loudest about this issue for these immigrants to speak the language of the land, thank you for speaking out! Now we know yall are bigots who hate freedom and hate America and all it has ever meant. Constitution haters too.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Yeah but if we were to go live in their country, and did not learn their language we would be ridiculed the same way. If you are going to move to a new country it only makes sense to learn the language of that nation. The problem here is that the United States needs to declare English as its official language, and part of the criteria to getting citizenship "legally" you have to know the language, or at the very least have to enroll in English classes for a minumum of two years. That guy probably came here 23 years ago smuggled in the back of a semi-truck.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by BiggyMcBigPants
It is amazing what gets people so worked up these days. If English was not my native language, I would probably like someone to translate for me too so that there was no confusion as to what I was saying. This would be especially important when doing something as important as speaking in a court of law. At the same time, seeing as how this WAS immigration related, using an interpreter did NOT win this guy any friends.

Some of you don't get it.

The guy has been here for 23 years, this means he has had 23 years to adopt English as his native language since this is now his native country. This should have be a requirement not an option. If he had only been here a few months that's a completely different story and there likely wouldn't be any anger or criticism directed to him.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
Well this is no giant surprise. An ATS English language thread that GASP mostly bashes immigrants. I love how those spouting off the loudest about this issue for these immigrants to speak the language of the land, thank you for speaking out! Now we know yall are bigots who hate freedom and hate America and all it has ever meant. Constitution haters too.

Then lets all learn the hundreds of languages that are actually spoken here. Why cater to just the spanish speaking immigrants? What places them above all others? Why should anyone be forced to speak their language in order to get hired for a job and provide for their families? English is one language that ties us all together. No matter if you are african, asian, indian, italian, or whatever, they have all learned english. Why seperate people when you can unite them?

We're bigots for wanting to speak our own language in our country? Don't force people to speak spanish to get a job in our own country. No other culture has expected or demanded that their new home change just for them.
There are hundreds of languages here and the people speaking them all know english, and now you want them to learn yet another language?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I bet your going to be pissed when the hesses are in power and make espanol the official languge in about 20 years

it is YOU that should be learning spanish my friend

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I understand why he is speaking in Spanish. He most likely speaks English, however he is obviously stronger in Spanish, therefor when appearing in court he choses to speak Spanish in order to not make any possibly detremental blunders.

Although learning English isn't that hard. It only took me 2 years.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star

Originally posted by BiggyMcBigPants
It is amazing what gets people so worked up these days. If English was not my native language, I would probably like someone to translate for me too so that there was no confusion as to what I was saying. This would be especially important when doing something as important as speaking in a court of law. At the same time, seeing as how this WAS immigration related, using an interpreter did NOT win this guy any friends.

I worked for 8 years with illegal immigrants who spoke spanish. Every day I was made to feel as though I left my Country. Day after day, month after month, year after year. It drove me insane being forced to listen to that. I didn't leave my Country! They left theirs! They knew, understood and spoke english but usually refused to.

All across the USA, many jobs require you to speak 'their' language. 'Their language is everywhere. No other culture has been catered to or changed America the way that the spanish speaking population has. So yeah, don't be amazed that so many of us get worked up as you say.

Exactly.

Why is it a requirement to speak Spanish for a majority of job opennings nowdays, whether blue collar or white collar?

I'm sick and tired of the pandering towards the hispanic community and I'm tired of rolling out the red carpet to these people just because their own piece of garbage country doesn't provide for them. In fact here is a letter I'm going to write to Obama and all of the sock puppet politicians that insist on not doing anything about a major problem that continues to worsen:

Dear Mr Obama and members of congress:

I’m planning to move my family and extended family into Mexico for my health, and I would like to ask you to assist me.

We’re planning to simply walk across the border from the U.S. into Mexico , and we’ll need your help to make a few arrangements.

We plan to skip all the legal stuff like visas, passports, immigration quotas and laws.

I’m sure they handle those things the same way you do here. So, would you mind telling your buddy, President Calderon, that I’m on my way over?

Please let him know that I will be expecting the following:

1. Free medical care for my entire family.

2. English-speaking government bureaucrats for all services I might need, whether I use them or not.

3. Please print all Mexican Government forms in English.

4. I want my grandkids to be taught Spanish by English- speaking (bi-lingual) teachers.

5. Tell their schools they need to include classes on American culture and history.

6. I want my grandkids to see the American flag on one of the flag poles at their school.

7. Please plan to feed my grandkids at school for both breakfast and lunch.

8. I will need a local Mexican driver’s license so I can get easy access to government services.

9. I do plan to get a car and drive in Mexico, but I don’t plan to purchase car insurance, and I probably won’t make any special effort to learn local traffic laws.

10. In case one of the Mexican police officers does not get the memo from their president to leave me alone, please be sure that every patrol car has at least one English-speaking officer.

11. I plan to fly the U.S. flag from my housetop, put U.S. flag decals on my car, and have a gigantic celebration on July 4th. I do not want any complaints or negative comments from the locals.

12. I would also like to have a nice job without paying any taxes, or have any labor or tax laws enforced on any business I may start.

13. Please have the president tell all the Mexican people to be extremely nice and never say critical things about me or my family, or about the strain we might place on their economy.

14. I want to receive free food stamps.

15. Naturally, I’ll expect free rent subsidies.

16. I’ll need income tax credits so that although I don’t pay Mexican taxes, I’ll receive money from the government.

17. Please arrange it so that the Mexican Government pays $4,500.00 to help me buy a new car.

18. Oh yes, I almost forgot, please enroll me free into the Mexican Social Security program so that I’ll get a monthly income in retirement.

I know this is an easy request because you already do all these things for all his people who walk over to the U.S. from Mexico . I am sure that President Calderon won’t mind returning the favor if you ask him nicely.

Thank you so much for your kind help.

Now do I expect even one of these requests to be fulfilled or acknowledged? Of course not. In fact If I went to Mexico and demanded any of these things I would be thrown in jail, tortured, or raped if I was a woman. In fact that's how most countries handle criminals that enter their country illegal. They have zero tolerance and sympathy and could care less that they are 'looking for a better life'.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join