It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do moral values survive after the SHTF?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I read Survival threads and often wonder to myself if people will have any moral values after the SHTF. Some threads I read talking about bugging out and living on foot, raiding convoys and stealing from others. When The SHTF will you be able to not loot and steal from other?

I personally think that’s messed up to loot and steal. Those people came prepared and you have the guts to steal from them and deny them of life because you were not prepared. I couldn’t do it. If I was that hungry I would hope they would have the same integrity as myself and spear a little food rather than steal it. what are your thoughts

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
They will certainly change, for sure. It would be a very confusing time.

One thing about it though, when one goes long enough without food and water and other necessities, the bodies survival mechanism kicks in and it pays not attention to laws or morals, the body needs fuel and it will do whatever it can to get it.

Moral? Who knows. Legal? Who cares.

The bodies will to survive and live is first and foremost.

In a situation such as this, the only word I can logically describe it is, SURVIVAL.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

I would argue to give until it hurts;
Provided you can, of course. Personally though, I cannot.

I do think thought that for 90% of the population, morality would be completely thrown out the window.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Hell no, I'll rape,pillage and burn. After the SHTF there ain't no authority but yourself. Everybody take care of their own.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

I think tshf can upgrade moral integrity, due to people being forced to show their true selves. SO some may become ignorant and others genetic leaders naturally followed.

+8 more 
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack
Hell no, I'll rape,pillage and burn. After the SHTF there ain't no authority but yourself. Everybody take care of their own.

well dont come by my retreat. ill shoot you where you stand with that kind of mantality

link   
I doubt things would change much.

We're allegedly "civil" now but I've been screwed over left and right by all sorts of people.

I try to stick with "do unto others" now and I will still in the event of complete collapse.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

This low density conscious will forbid survival....

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Pockets of normalcy will remain. If one could even call it that. somewhat normal and moral as can be given the situation.

The rest would just be a flood of immoral trash. Some would eventually join up to get the good things a working society has to offer back in their lives.

I look at those pockets as seeds for the return of civility. As long as they dont get too much water or dont dry out, and are kept warm they may sprout and grow. Its going to take people with big picture vision as well as morality to keep things together though.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
If someone took all the food from your fridge today, would you kill them to get it back? Of course not!

But if someone taking your food meant that your family would starve very soon, you would do anything and everything to ensure your survival.

I guess when TSHF you either get tough or get dead. And if you can't defend yourself what are you really expecting?

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

I have to agree, People with a attitude like that will be a flash in the fire. But of course , in their world, it'll always be someone elses fault.

I always have a jaded eye. People screw you over at times without meaning to.
edit on 16-6-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

Idiot...

sorry if I offended you but that is all I can say...idiot...

unless ofcourse you are joking, I do hope you are or you are a fine example of why humanity is doomed.
We need to learn how to live together, share. Not burn and pillage, come on people we are better than that...we need to grow up, not go backwards..

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by FTD Brat

I would argue to give until it hurts;
Provided you can, of course. Personally though, I cannot.

I do think thought that for 90% of the population, morality would be completely thrown out the window.

I appreciate your honesty. Though I know it's up for endless debate, my personal opinion is that we try to help one another to the extent we can, regardless of one's theology or lack thereof. More important is the reality of the future, not my personal opinion of what could and should happen.

On a tangentially related note, yesterday some dopey girl who was speeding down my residential street flipped her momma's minivan and crashed into a tree at my front door; I helped to the extent I could and needed to (she actually crawled from the wreckage relatively unscathed) , but if it had been necessary -- and thank goodness it wasn't, as my wife and daughters were was not hurt -- I would have focused all my efforts on my loved ones rather than risking my ass for that reckless stranger. Same perspective would apply for me under a SHTF scenario. Your car's burning and your stuck inside? Sorry, lady, my family needs attending to first.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Im sorry but when it comes to survival then it is of the fittest. If you have resources I need and wont share then im going to try and take them from you. Prepared or not no one is going to care if their lives hang in the balance.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I can't honestly see how your modern day "peace time" view on morality can survive unchanged in a SHTF scenario. Surely it will all be about shunning strangers and doing anything to provide for yourself and your family? If that means stealing, robbing from others, etc, then so be it.
A SHTF scenario will change your outlook on life and in doing so will change your morals. (In my opinion.)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Jassu

:S

or a better idea, work together, pool your resources and create something so much better than we have right now?! PEACE. I come on this site and see people asking for peace and freedom and then I see a SHTF thread and people just care for themselves, killing, raping etc SHEESH.

some freedom there, some peace there. Watching your back 24/7 cause some selfish scum of the earth might kill you because he wants what you own.

I feel sick.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss

well dont come by my retreat. ill shoot you where you stand with that kind of mantality
I'll have no problem shooting you either dude, but still when there is 90% of the population tagging behind you. You have to do what you have to do.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by David291

Idiot...

unless ofcourse you are joking, I do hope you are or you are a fine example of why humanity is doomed.
We need to learn how to live together, share. Not burn and pillage, come on people we are better than that...we need to grow up, not go backwards..

I was just joking but it's the principle,it is survival of the fittest. You can't save everybody.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

I know you can't save everybody, that's a fact but there is no need to go around killing people for their supplies etc, i know a lot of people that mind set but that doesn't help anyone. Survial of the fittest? Another age born from violence? We do not need that again.

It's time we had some peace around here, it's time we learnt that we as a whole are so much better than scattered and seperated as we are right now.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by David291

Idiot...

I was just joking but it's the principle,it is survival of the fittest. You can't save everybody.

The fittest are in their souls and hearts. Everybody spiritually wishes not to be saved

be well
edit on 6/16/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join