It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looting breaks out as riots intensify in Vancouver

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
This makes me wonder, if they will act this way over a soccer game, imagine what will happen when an actual SHTF scenario happens, it will be a hundredfold worse. Society is held together by a shoestring.

On a side note that video of a protestor getting hit in the jewels with a tear gas bomb was one of the funniest things I have seen in a while.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
It makes me sad to be a Canucks fan.

Real rioting will break out when people are hungry, this act here is nothing more than drunken hooliginsm perpetrated by the classic Canadian douchebag (read; selfish and entitled) hockey fan.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
For those who don't know hockey, is the religion of many Canadians.

BackinBlack said it best already.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
What is it about sports?

Win or lose the home cities always burn.

Morons.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
whats the big deal?? coming from detroit, I know the truth about canadiens. they are savages!!! they put a good front on for the rest of the world, but when it comes to hockey, forget aboot it.

these are rough people in general, working the rail lines, fighting polar crocs and what not, real bastards!! canadiens will riot under THREE circumstances,,,,......

1.they win the stanley cup
2.they lose the stanley cup
3.guns n' roses concert

not to be trusted them northen folk........

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by wingsfan

As always, there is more going on than what meets the eye.
Opportunity will invoke its own reason even if not stated as such.
In general, the lawlessness is done because they are a crowd and virtually faceless before authority. Sometimes in active crowds there is one or more individuals that spark it (Hitler). The acts may be long-lasting, moving from spontaniety into long-term planning and execution. The cause is almost always the same, a dissatisfaction of the people for one reason or another.

Given that Canada is not a repressive country, we can only assume that the general illlogical mindsets around winning/losing a stupid game is enough for (mostly) the young to go on a rampage. They always think that someone else is going to clean up after them. They think no further than the moment of wanting to act out.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

This is what happens in Vancouver when we lose at hockey: 100,000 drunks ripping up the streets.

Just wait until the revolution comes here!

PS: watch the video in the link for some awesome video. It looks like a zombie film with all of the fire/crowded streets/riot police/looting/etc.

This is why I love my province

www.ctvbc.ctv.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

You love our province because 100 000 drunken spectators blow their lid over circus's and games while billions starve and there are REAL issues in this world?

Its insanity! I'd like to know who set them up, how this kind of thing takes grip on people, M'Kultra, Agents planted inciting it?

Now this minus any damage to public property for a real issue, starvation, would be completely apprecitiated. I'd drive over an hour and join in!

Im sorry those who go into destruction mode after a hockey game are an embarrasment to this country, behaving like primitive zombies?
edit on 16-6-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
If them there Canadians want to fight so much they oughta go to the middle east and do it.

Yep, we need to get Obama to tell Canada to send more troops to the middle east or will take over Canada

and drill all over the place.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Hey we lost..,. let’s stab fellow vancover’ers????

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Isn't this a sad commentary on our world? People will riot over a lost game, but stay meek and apathetic about increasing murders by cops and rape of the middle class by banks and politicians.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
To the people of the world....this is your youth and the future.

Most of these douches look be under the age of 25.

On a local Vancouver forum i keep in touch with, the sentiments were of anger and disgust at the actions of these degenerates. Citizens and employers are volunteering to ID and report these Hooligans. Employers stating they would fire any involved.

Many wish there was more riot police to lay down some beatings, others wanted to go down and do it themselves.

This all could have been avoided they kept Surrey, Langley and Abotsford out...

(locals joke)

crazy kids

edit on 16-6-2011 by The Great Day because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

The whole point of marketing these sports to MILLIONS UPON MILLIONS is for this exact reason.

Sport keeps people distracted.

There are two things(amongst others) that prevent the Western citizen from speaking up.

1- Sport
2- Ethanol

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Wow...my friends dad predicted this...
Vancouver looses = Riot
Vancouver wins = Riot in boston/bars across the states/posibly even a small one in vancouver!

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
The city of Vancouver and its police service wanted this in a big way.

The police get to cry to the city for more funding in order to combat large crowds, not to mention they will get a few new police cruisers to replace the ones burned. The riot squads just stood there and didn't do anything unless they were moving backwards away from the crowds which i thought was a HUGE no-no.

The city gets to cry to surrounding cities and possibly the province for money to help with the mess. It has always been a huge debate here why Vancouver should be the ones to host world-class events and it is usually the residents from surrounding cities that cause all the damage.

There was going to be a riot win or lose, what happened here in 94' is famous to young people that were too young to even understand watching it on tv. How the city and police handled this either tells me they are completely out of touch with this regions youth or they saw an opportunity in letting it all unfold.

"When blood fills the streets.... Buy property" - some guy

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
great example whats possible if the power of the people arises =) but sadly its the wrong occasion...

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by tom goose

So let me guess this straight. The cops moved AWAY from the crowds as they approached? WTF? Im going to assume that the Vancouver Police Service does not train their officers in crowd control or that their training is heavily outdated. Real cops once practiced the hands off approach with a riot from the 1960s - early 1990s and it led to the LA Riots of 1992 - the worst riot in American history all because the crowds were emboldened by the lack of action from the LAPD who quite literally ran away. Police 101 says never show cowardice in front of a mob, it will only make them even more violent and cause even more property damage and looting.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Political protest don't have the drawing power the Stanley Cup has. Next time there is something people want to protest. Promise them a party atmosphere, free booze, anything goes with lots of camera's. These people don't care about politics they want to have a good time. If someone starts the wild affair you will see them tear up G8, Bilderburgs or anyone else that happens to be there.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231
reply to post by tom goose

So let me guess this straight. The cops moved AWAY from the crowds as they approached? WTF? Im going to assume that the Vancouver Police Service does not train their officers in crowd control or that their training is heavily outdated. Real cops once practiced the hands off approach with a riot from the 1960s - early 1990s and it led to the LA Riots of 1992 - the worst riot in American history all because the crowds were emboldened by the lack of action from the LAPD who quite literally ran away. Police 101 says never show cowardice in front of a mob, it will only make them even more violent and cause even more property damage and looting.

I should confess that at the beginning the footage was showing a lot of police brutality, like 4 cops holding a guy while another cop beats him with his club. I wonder if the chief was watching the early footage and radioed down to let the crowd have the streets in order to avoid public outcry.

That was the police though. I never saw the riot squads beat anyone, they wouldn't even engage the crowd, just formed lines a block away trying to intimidate. about 2 hours later once they finally started walking towards the crowd.... poof... crowds gone.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
The people of Vancouver and indeed across our great country are appalled, disgusted and saddened after seeing the riots last night...but mostly we are angry. Let's get one thing straight. These punks and followers of punks are NOT Canadian hockey fans. Period. They absolutely disgrace us!! There are many reports of these idiots bringing molotov cocktails with them on the subways - this was planned idiocy regardless of the outcome of the game that they cared little or nothing about.

I am NOT ashamed to be Canadian today, tomorrow or any other day. I know who Canadians are and what we stand for. My father was a fighter pilot in WWII and he and countless others fought for the freedoms we have today. To actually witness the total disregard and abuse of these hard fought freedoms makes me want to vomit. These people need to be rounded up and shipped off to a nice place like Syria, where they can taste the real cost of those freedoms they take so blatantly for granted and I WILL personally pay for their tickets because I AM CANADIAN!!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ff9d83ebb587.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I saw this as a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. If they start dealing with the hooligans in any measuable fashion there is the outcry of police brutality (even though the ones on the recieving end have it coming), if they attempt to save face in the public's eye, they are seen as impotent and not doing enough. I think they did the right thing. Yeah it sucks that stores got looted and vehicles got burned, insurance will cover that. Being caught on camera actually doing your job and you are labelled a facist and get fired.

We seem to have made the decision to castrate the police forces from doing their jobs. Police need to be accountable for their actions, but they cannot be afraid to their jobs. Watching that guy get beat last night, he deserved it. Try and defend him all you want, he was not "in the wrong place at the wrong time", he was there causing destruction and mayhem, and was dealt with accordingly.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join