It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Collective Bargaining Law Reinstated by Wisconsin Supreme Court

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Collective Bargaining Law Reinstated by Wisconsin Supreme Court

journaltimes.com

MADISON, Wis. (AP) - The Wisconsin Supreme Court handed Republican Gov. Scott Walker a major victory on Tuesday, ruling that a polarizing union law that strips most public employees of their collective bargaining rights could take effect.

In a 4-3 decision that included a blistering dissent, the court ruled that Dane County Circuit Judge Maryann Sumi overstepped her authority when she declared the law void. Sumi had ruled that Republican lawmakers violated the state's open meetings statutes in the run-up to passage of the union legislation.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
This is wonderful news. It was a hard decision to make these changes, but Wisconsin is in financial crisis like most other states in the U. S. and it is not THAT hard on the union worker. He keeps his job. He keeps his pay check without a cut in salary. All he is required to do is participate in his 401K rather than have it free, or contribute to his pension plan a little each pay day - after all it is FOR the employee at retirement, so why not be financially involved like in a 401K. It will save the state tons of money to be able to put sports and music back into schools and hire more teachers to educate their children. That's a GOOD goal. I hope that other states are successful in passing these changes. We HAVE to do something, and that's a good start. Congratulations Wisconsin!!!!!

journaltimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Maby it is good news.... or maby your a neo-con Fox news watching redneck troll.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by joyride0187

401K is part of compensation just like salary; it is not "free" in any sense, any more than any pay, bonus or benefit. It is earned by work. This is a reduction in compensation, viewed in objective terms.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Good news
the state no longer allows the peons to unite and speak collectively...who thought of unions anyhow..unions..this united concept. sure, next thing you know, states will start uniting with one another..then what, we change our name from America to the United States of america? pfft.

Anyhow, they needed to somehow make up the fundings when they gave the top 2% a tax break...so they need to spend a bunch of money to enforce non union agendas.

God Bless the rich! that will teach them middle classers...after all, if they didn't like being middle class, they would have chosen to be rich! Now, no more talking with one another about conditions of the workplace...get back to work, Hans needs more cigars.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by auraelium
Maby it is good news.... or maby your a neo-con Fox news watching redneck troll.

You are entitled to your opinion but instead of getting all emotional and calling me a redneck troll why not present your side of the arguement and use facts to back it up.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by joyride0187

You are entitled to your opinion but instead of getting all emotional and calling me a redneck troll why not present your side of the arguement and use facts to back it up.

Liberals don't use facts. They get all emotional instead, and if that doesn't work, name calling and intimidation. Really? What are you thinking.?

Isn't calling you a RedNeck a form of "Racism?"

I had a good debate just last night here on ATS about this very subject.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 15-6-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Good news
the state no longer allows the peons to unite and speak collectively...who thought of unions anyhow..unions..this united concept. sure, next thing you know, states will start uniting with one another..then what, we change our name from America to the United States of america? pfft.

Anyhow, they needed to somehow make up the fundings when they gave the top 2% a tax break...so they need to spend a bunch of money to enforce non union agendas.

God Bless the rich! that will teach them middle classers...after all, if they didn't like being middle class, they would have chosen to be rich! Now, no more talking with one another about conditions of the workplace...get back to work, Hans needs more cigars.

What you fail to understand is that Wisconsin is completely broke due to years of insane policies that drove many businesses out while funneling money into the UAW. We were running a HUGE deficit and collective barganing is just one of the main reasons. Ill give you an example of how collective barganing effects the tax rate. Last Febuary the city I live in (Racine, WI) had one of the worst blizzards in its history. There wasnt enough snow plow city workers to plow the streets so the city was forced to hire outside contractors for a few days. The unions got upset and filed greivances with the city. Local 67′s beef? That the city of Racine violated their collective bargaining agreement.The union claims they were deprived of work that ultimately was done by the private contractors. They apparently think that the amount of time it would have taken to do the clean up without help is of no consequence. Who cares if people were trapped in their homes? Who cares if roads were impassable? Eventually, those union folks would have gotten them taken care of. Eventually. So just remeber, whatever raises that union government workers get or grievances filed means taxes increase for EVERYONE.

So far governor Walker is doing a damn good job and has the majority of voters on his side. I dont agree with all of his policies but the results are starting to speak for themselves. In May 2011 Wisconsin jumped 17 spots in the business rankings of Chief Executive which is the greatest improvement in the history of the magazine. "In contrast, Illinois has dropped 40 places in the rankings in the last 5 years, in what the magazine called a death spiral.”

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
You people dont get it... If you give the powers that be an Inch, they will take a mile, This is , and always was about fat cat employers looking to lower wage costs. The Unions weren't perfect, and there are some serious issues there that need to be sorted, But this is a classic case of throwing the baby out with the bath water.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Looks like the paid-to-posts
are up and running

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

You people dont get it... If you give the powers that be an Inch, they will take a mile, This is , and always was about fat cat employers looking to lower wage costs. The Unions weren't perfect, and there are some serious issues there that need to be sorted, But this is a classic case of throwing the baby out with the bath water.

YOU dont get it. This isn't about fat cat employers wanting to lower wage costs. This isnt the private sector, it is the government workers unions. WE THE PEOPLE are the employers in this situation and in the past decade we gave the unions an inch and they took many miles while stabbing us in the back and laughing the entire time. The union will still be able to collectively bargin for their salary (up to the rate of inflation) so this is not throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ItsEvolutionBaby
Looks like the paid-to-posts
are up and running

LOL I can assure you no one is paying me. I just cannot afford another increase in property taxes and that is exactly what will happen if collective barganing by public sector unions is allowed to continue.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Hey everyone is entitled to their very own opinion - I just hope you are as vocal when the execs get their huge bonuses in failing companies and also as mentioned above, tax cuts and more tax cuts for the rich.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
heres a good explanation of the situation, straight from the horses mouth.....

www.youtube.com...=45

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
This from a debate I had last night, slightly modified.

Private unions I am ok with as the company and the union head negotiate the terms and if the company fails because the unions nickel and dimed them to death? Well, that’s the companies fault and now everyone is out of work.

Public unions I am not ok with. Even FDR opposed them.

But do you realize, that Corporations and Companies exist for one thing, and one thing only. To make a profit. I that upsets you for some odd reason, don’t buy their product or service.

If I own a company where my employees are making a quality product and it’s selling well, I will reward them. If I am losing money and they want more, I’ll move the company to where it is profitable again. Or just close up shop while I’m ahead. It’s as simple as that.

And public unions create no profit whatsoever, the public employees provide a service.

Unions have to give a little, otherwise, we’ll all go down the drain together. That is a union I’d rather not see.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
One more step toward a corporate Oligarchy and tyranny.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

What you fail to understand is that Wisconsin is completely broke due to years of insane policies that drove many businesses out while funneling money into the UAW.

What you fail to understand was that Wisconsin was doing just fine until the new governor came in, gave the tax break to the wealthy, and suddenly needed to correct this fiscal nightmare he personally created, by doing something that will have -no- efffect on the budget (and will actually cost more to enforce and initiate).

This is absolutely nothing about budgets...that is the most transparent and weak lie ever..

This is about a simple fact. most unions contribute to democratic partys (a couple to republican partys).
This had to stop...and so yep, they hammered the unions (the ones that contributed to republican partys are exempt from this new ruling btw...funny that).

Its a political move to supress people and a entire political party...thats all it is...so go cheer on as a agenda driven pack of arses supress the people.

Lies...transparent bold faced lies, and anyone supporting the lies either has no clue about the facts of the case, or are just as deceptive and anti-american as the tools that are in charge over there.

Done with this nonsense...its repulsive and disgusting...the whole lot of them should be yanked out of office and hung for treason and attempt to subvert the american government and will of the people.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Actually, although you make a nice (albeit typical) point, there is a greater point to be made.

if states across the board (since you are talking about private unions and corporations) lock hands and have a wage standard for certain fields of working, then moving from state to state to find the cheapest workforce becomes useless.

The corporations then have a choice...pay a reasonable wage and working conditions, or simply leave the country.

Leave the country they have...and curiously enough, the government rewards companys that outsource...no...this is the real issue here.
Install taraffs, put massive taxes on corporations that outsource jobs that could be done by locals...hit them so hard that they either have to bring the jobs back home, or simply leave the country and stop doing business with them (trust me, someone else will quickly jump in their spot the second they leave...).

No, we should not decide to push our workforce into 3rd world nation style work dynamics for compention because corporations will go elsewhere if they have to pay more than a dollar a day for 12 hour shifts...what needs to happen is for the government to do their constitutional duty to ensure the commerce of the united states by hammering HARD these corporate tards that corrupt the system.

This is a step in the wrong direction, even if it is public unions...

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by joyride0187

Perhaps it hasn't dawned on you that more and more of workers compensation takes the form of 401k, pension, and health care benefits. And in addition by limiting the increase in negotiated compensation to the rate of inflation, as you state, will in effect mean that public employees never get a raise in pay that can offset the benefits that they are no longer allowed to negotiate for, and will thus surely be deprived of bit by bit!

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

So far governor Walker is doing a damn good job and has the majority of voters on his side. I dont agree with all of his policies but the results are starting to speak for themselves.

from the most recient rasmussian poll:

the new Republican governor earns positive reviews from 43% and negative reviews from 57% of voters statewide.

You realize that 43% is not the majority, right? he was elected in at 52%, and his shenanigans has made his numbers not slip...but freefall.

The results are that there are now to be recall elections due to the sheer number of Wisconsin citizens infuriated with this guy and the whole senate there..they are on their way out and Walker will be a 1 term governor more than likely due to his flat out lie, his distortions, and the fact that it saved not a nickle but instead cost the state money to do what they are doing...not a single job created, not a single election promise kept, he is simply a neocon tool to dismantle a donation bridge for the dems...and he and his staff/party have abused the office to fuel national politics.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join