It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100,000 Protest in China, Police Open Fire, atleast 100 dead and injured

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   

On the night of June 12, 100,000 people in Xintang took to the streets, confronting armed forces. Witnesses said people emerged like waves, and the end could not be seen. The protests extended to nearby town, Fengkuang ownship. Many locals heard gunshots during the night of June 12..

Hong Kong's Oriental Daily's reported on June 13 that a curfew had been implemented in Xintang. That day armed forces started to clean the site. Gunshots were constantly heard. There were over 100 deaths and injuries, and hundreds more arrested.

I know there have been scattered, small protests recently springing up in China, but this is the first Ive heard of a protest this large and deadly recently.

Ive been trying to find more on this, but have barely found anything. (China is pretty good at not letting much out about this.)

This is the only "news article" ive been able to find so far.

China: Xintang: police and army occupy city to stop protests

Beijing (AsiaNews / Agencies) - The police are now patrolling the streets and putting roadblocks on main thoroughfares of Xintang in the city of Zhengcheng, to end to urban guerrilla warfare that first broke out June 10. But it is a deceptive calm, with tens of thousands of immigrants ready to explode with further protests and violence.

Guerilla warfare?

Residents have been "advised" not to go out at night and not to post pictures of the clashes on line. Yesterday, the authorities have summoned the managers of 1,200 companies in the area telling them to "pay close attention to their employees."

This article came out yesterday (June 14), so Im guessing there have been more developments

It seems that yesterday the demonstrators demanded the release of detained migrants and the punishment of the security guards who attacked the young immigrant: instead about 2,700 soldiers with armoured vehicles and tear gas arrived, blocking all major roads. In the videos uploaded on the Internet gunshots can be heard.

Today, the Xinhua news agency and other State media reported that "everything is back to normal" in Xintang, minimizing the episodes. But the Hong Kong television showed footage with large groups of immigrants running through the streets of Zengcheng, smashing windows and assaulting government offices, overturning police cars.

And heres one of the most interesting parts of the article

According to experts, there were over 180 thousand mass protests in China in 2010. In recent weeks there have been news reports of incidents of violent protests born from "trivial" episodes. Faced with the widespread corruption of local governments and continual harassment, the population is ready to take to the streets to demand justice and recognition.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Wow, 100,000 person protest is a lot of people! Good for them! shame about the violence and deaths...

Can you say Chinese Summer? It's a possibility. With that many reported mass protests last year it could just be time for the chinese to revolt. I wonder if there was any NWO/US backing of the uprisings!?

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

Those migrants does not want to overthrow the chinese government, they are basically protesting against police brutality of migrants including other issues.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nspekta
Wow, 100,000 person protest is a lot of people! Good for them!....

I wonder if there was any NWO/US backing of the uprisings!?

Yeah, Maybe Canada will recognize those 100,000 rebels I mean protesters as well.

Anyway I hope this doesn't turn into another Tianamin square massacre

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
The sooner China rules the world the better and yes this is sarcasim but the scary thing is many business people in the west are signing up to the idea
They execute more than teh rest of the planets nations combined.
But they buy heaps and export things cheap so they ok right?.

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
This why I fear to live anywhere that only the Govt, Army and Police have guns.

Sorry to hear this news. But how could they defend themselves with only sticks and stones?

If the police knew there was a possibility of citizens firing back, they wouldn't be so quick to murder them in the streets like fish in a barrel.

edit on 15-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
From the article in my OP -

It all began with a trivial accident: on the evening of June 10 security guards beat and mistreated Wang Lianmei, a pregnant 20 year old migrant from Sichuan, who with her husband was selling goods in front of a supermarket. Within hours, tens of thousands of migrants, especially from Sichuan, took to the streets, attacking the town hall, breaking the windows and setting fire to police cars. The next day the violence intensified and the migrants not only attacked police and government offices but also private cars and shop windows.

I think the unrest is because of both police brutality and extreme dislike of their current government. The last paragraph in the OP, it says that the protests in recent weeks have been "born" from "trival" things. Im not sure what they consider trivial though. (I guess police beating a pregnant women is considered "trivial" to them)?

When I think of trivial things, I get the image of stuff that dosent really mean anything in the big picture, ex - my friend smells bad. But again, I dont know what they are considering "trivial" over there. If trivial stuff is really causing people to go berzerk, I can only wonder how much longer it will be until it all spills together, or until something they consider "major" happens.
edit on 15-6-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Sometimes you don't realize how lucky you are until you read story's like these......freedom of speech is underrated.

Want to bet that the United Nations Security Council will find some reason in their resolution to not protect civilians and civilian-populated areas under threat of attack.......

I wonder why that is??

Peace

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
ok, Xintang is in the pearl river delta in guangdong, the denim capital of the world.

it was riots by migrant workers from sichuan for being

discriminated against by the authorities and locals.
\

the 20yo woman was being stopped from peddling goods in front of a store by security.

they workers get beat all the time, have crappy pay and basically crappy lives there.

but they make 220mil jeans a year, 1/2 of the worlds output.

i have no figures on dead nor injured and 100k is way to much for this to be factual.

i think this is a little exaggerated.

i get this from the "south china morning post"

this is what was written, in a nutshell.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
anyone ever been to china who are posting ??
chances are this didnt happen!

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by questcequecest

While I agree with you, actions like these do raise suspicion...

China blocks some Web searches about migrant protests

They are very busy suppressing this story/rumor.......

Peace

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
i don't doubt the protests and riots.

china can be real nasty to their own.

these were police not PLA quelling this.

out west with the ugiers was different, they were killing han and the army stomped on them.

no doubt the locals are but holes, they can be like that.

the workers just want a fair shake but have been real slow in learning city life.

there is the rub.

i doubt they were killing willy nilly, they are there to work and 220mil jeans a year would put a dent in supply if they started killing everyone.

some poor bastard maybe got caught doing the wrong thing (in a riot) and got himself shot but no tienanmen happening.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
1 Billions peoples uprising .. no one will be able to control that mass
once its started

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

I searched and found pretty much the same stuff.

www.cio.com...

IDG News Service — China is blocking searches on Google (GOOG) and microblogs for the name of a Chinese city where protests have erupted against local authorities. The move is part of an effort to suppress information on the rioting.

Google searches in Chinese for Zengcheng, a city in the country's Guangdong province, result in the browser's connection to the server being reset, with no search results offered. Chinese authorities have also blocked searches for the city's name on some of China's most popular microblogs, including ones operated by Sina and Tencent.

A little further down the article, it says this

But starting this year, China's censorship of the Internet has risen to new levels, according to analysts. This happened after an anonymous online call was made urging the Chinese people to hold a "Jasmine Revolution" against the government.

Im guessing that is saying there will be virtually no coverage of protests anymore.

The country has also shown that its willing to take even more extreme measures to curb information on the Web. In 2009, the government pulled the plug on Internet access in China's Xinjiang region for nearly six months. This came in reaction to deadly ethnic rioting that left nearly 200 dead.

There could be massive rioting and nobody would know.

On a more recent protest -

China has applied similar Internet censoring methods to other protest movements. Last month, China blocked mention of Inner Mongolia from local microblogs and social networking sites following ethnic protests that occurred in the region. The country's most popular instant messenger service QQ was also shut down in Inner Mongolia, according to a human rights group.

I guess they dont even allow people to see any news coming out of certain areas anymore.

Heres the size of Inner Mongolia -

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3a391f057b60.jpg[/atsimg]

Also, Xinjiang is the big top left area of the country. (the area that had internet shut down for 6 months in 2009)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81
1 Billions peoples uprising .. no one will be able to control that mass
once its started

Not to mention when they begin to droop, after the mass climactic event.

But you do make a good point, if the entire population stands erect and proud against the constricting imposing Chinese Government monolith then perhaps democracy can be truly born in China.

China is a scary entity, for the simple reason the party is buying up yours and my world at a very alarming rate.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

it's migrant workers, not the general populous.

they get horrible treatment and are discriminated against.

the workers are rural people and are not very savy about city life.

like i said, that creates some real friction.

my friend has a jazz club there, been there many times, nice area.

was thinking about opening a biz there. lot's of ex-pats and "westernized" chinese. take that as a broad world view from them, for you gwailows who never been to the pearl delta.

not a coolie hat in sight, lots of gucci and Rolex's tho.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Exaggerated or not, Americans who love to talk crap about the Chinese need to take a hint here. We have guns, and still, no protests. We have the freedom to do so, for now, and still no people taking to the streets in disapproval. The entire world is in upheaval, the USA has an alleged 24,262,768 unemployed to amass one hell of a "people's army", and still nothing. I guess we will just wait till everything is pointless to even react.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Wow. This could turn serious if it is not contained. At first, I thought they where talking about immigrants from others countries who are protesting. That would be no problem for them. It appears to be the actual migrant worker population of Chinese.

www.speroforum.com... police-and-army-occupy-city-to-stop-protests

Local sources report that migrants are ready to return to the streets, their anger is almost palpable: protesting the continued harassment they are subjected as laborers in big cities, often with no home and no health care or right to school for the children. The denounce a lack of rule of law in China and no protection of their rights, even economic.

That's what got my attention. The cheap labor of China appears to have given their 2 week notice.

I'm happy and worried. It's great for the Chinese people, but what would it do to the global economy?

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

as slow as the central gov is, they don't want the corrupt local gov people to make them look bad.

that's why they will shoot them when found, trial of course.

but these are international companies they work for.

most of you are wearing what they made.

the gov won't allow this crap, too much money at stake.

people will be executed, i bet and it won't be all migrants.

wall street, take heed!

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by fooks

It's still a matter of containment, before the situation gets out of control. Corrupt politicians need to be held accountable in the eyes of the people. Under PRC law, that does mean execution. We'll see what happens. Maybe this will blow over, or maybe it will spread. I hope it ends with the Chinese having more universal rights under their law.

I own very few items made in Chinese sweatshops, and not because I dislike the Chinese.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join