It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm going all out

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by DesertedIsland
yea have fun finding an actual 100% genuine katana, it takes about 2 months to make just one

you can get high quality blanks for about 1200 bucks. you'll have to sharpen and add the handle yourself though.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
When I saw your thread title I figured you were going to roof mount a mag fed .50BMG outfitted with a thermal imaging scope and have a couple dozen boxes of ammo.

Looks like I was wrong.

I think your ideas have merit for CQB where the individuals you face are using sticks or something similar. At 15 yards, I can drop the best martial artist in the world with a .45ACP. I studied two martial art styles for 7 years and realize that what is seen on the big screen may be cool but is in no way reality.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Get a crossbow. You can re-use the arrows on the zombies. Go silent sniper.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by bozzchem
When I saw your thread title I figured you were going to roof mount a mag fed .50BMG outfitted with a thermal imaging scope and have a couple dozen boxes of ammo.

Looks like I was wrong.

I think your ideas have merit for CQB where the individuals you face are using sticks or something similar. At 15 yards, I can drop the best martial artist in the world with a .45ACP. I studied two martial art styles for 7 years and realize that what is seen on the big screen may be cool but is in no way reality.

Seriously, I am not going pure sword and board here. If you look at the bottom of the post, I ask what light artillery could I wield, any suggestions? I AM going to have guns as a front line offense, the swords are just for when I run out of ammo.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Ok. Look man, war and armed conflict is NUTS. Don't treat it like a game.

Think things through:

1. What are the REALISTIC scenarios you AND YOUR FAMILY are likely to face?

2. Is your goal to go all Rambo or to make sure you and your family survives? If your goal is to go all Rambo then ditch your family now because if a SHTF scenario ever takes place you're gonna get them killed. If, however, you want to protect them I suggest you read, read, read, tactics on sneaking around, how to move in a military fashion, and have a plan and route of escape that you and your family can use to success.

3. If you think for a second that you, your MA skills(I'm a WC practitioner myself), your sword and whatever lead thrower you have is going to be a match for a trained military force you are out of your mind. The idea behind survival is to fight ONLY when you MUST, and to avoid it as often as possible.

4. In a bad situation chances are you are gonna be moving on foot. If you're carrying several pounds of knives and other bladed assortments and useless equipment you're going to be taking up space for things you actually need. Like food, water, ammunition, daily provision. And you're gonna have to walk for MILES with this stuff on your back. You need to carry one or two good utility/hunting knives. If you're going to carry a tacticool AR15 with all the bell and whistles you're gonna have to bring extra batteries for the optics, cleaning solution, oil and a cleaning kit. On top of all of that you're gonna need ammo. Not just what's in your magazines, but what you carry in your backpack to reload those mags.

5. Understand this: If you're gonna go around looking like a ninja because you think it's cool someone with a Remington 700 and digital camo is going to pop your head off with a 7.62x51 round. And he won't miss. You don't wanna stand out if you can help it. If you want your family to survive you need to either be really good at sneaking around, or try your hardest to look as unimportant as possible. The second someone sees a ninja with all those shiny knives and an AR 15 acting like no one can see him, you're dead, and your family might be too.

I'm not going to recommend a weapon to you because you need to understand what a weapon is for, and what it is NOT for. You need to understand that the situation you're talking about won't be as survivable as you think it will be. Until you understand this stuff and stop watching DBZ as if it's going to help you when the bullets and grenades start flying, you're going to be useless in a survival situation.

edit on 15-6-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I was just about to write something similar but not quite as in depth. The OP needs to realise a real "ninja" relies on stealth and camouflage, you are not going to blend in to an urban environment with those big blades hanging off of you. As a matter of fact you might as well make a big bullseye on your back with them. A much better option would be a common caliber handgun, as long as you are old enough to buy one. I prefer 9mm due to cheapness, and practice practice practice.

edit on 13-6-2011 by wiandiii because: for grammer

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by wiandiii

I don't split hairs with this kind of stuff.

I've met a lot of people who think they know what they're gonna do only to start whining and complaining on one of my winter expeditions in the mountains of the Nevada desert. If they can't take 3 or 4 days on top of a cold mountain they can't take a crap situation for months or even years.

Most of these people are exactly like the OP. Gung Ho, and ready to be Rambo, except no skill or realistic thinking of what that kind of situation could mean.

I don't wanna get down on the OP too much. But weapons aren't toys, and war ain't a game or a cartoon.
edit on 13-6-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

You're not kidding, too many armchair survivalists. I don't have the military experience you and other soldiers like you do, but I'm learning as much as I can from those that I know. It was a whole different world from before I was interested in this stuff to actually going out and using my gear. Practice being everything from range time to spending time in all kinds of different environments both rural and urban. I know that this experience could be needed one day for myself, my friends and my family to help keep us alive. I hope nothing crazy ever happens, but the microcosm that is the USA in its current form won't last forever, best to be prepared in case its on my watch.

"I'm not going to recommend a weapon to you because you need to understand what a weapon is for, and what it is NOT for."

This is one piece of advice I had never considered, thank you for pointing that out.
edit on 13-6-2011 by wiandiii because: for content

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by wiandiii

I don't go to basic training until January. But I am an avid study and capable outdoorsman. I understand the importance of physical fitness, situation awareness, and training with one's weapons. Moreover I understand the importance of being uncomfortable in order to train your body to like it.

Just get fit, run, run, run, and train, train, train. You'll be fine. You already have the right mindset. You'll be ahead of most people.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Zarxx

5 years? so long???

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
[
Just get fit, run, run, run, and train, train, train. You'll be fine. You already have the right mindset. You'll be ahead of most people.

He already is ahead of everybody...according to his profile, he claims to be an indigo child, spiritual teacher and full spectrum healer

With those in mind, why would he even need a weapon

edit on 15/6/2011 by OzWeatherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Last I checked indigo children get fat and get shot too.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I'm by no means trained in anything but even I know that the best offense is a good defense.

If you're gonna carry weapons, try to make them lightweight and hidden under regular clothing so as to be as inconspicuous as possible. If TSHTF and all kinds of madness is going on then it'd be best to try to blend in and take your family out of there with some kind of kit bag full of equipment for hunting and fishing as well as food, water etc already in place so you and your family can just get the hell out of dodge ASAP.

No messing around carrying things to vehicles apart from the essentials and perishables that can't be stored in advance. Make yourself stand out and you make yourself a target.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join