It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Libya mission has cost Canada $26M!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by yourignoranceisbliss

Wow...the hostility! Lol no, im not going to say that Canada is better than the US or vice versa.... I was bringing attention to the amount of money spent on an illegitimate war that I as a Canadian was not allowed to voice my opinion on! You, as an American should be outraged as well! Obama didnt even ask congress, he just sent the bombs! Its not really about the money spent, its the principle....understand?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

The US spends exactly ZERO dollars to defend Canada.

The US spends billions to defend the US and the US only.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

Thank you! Well said!
2nd line

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

Forgive my over-reaction, but I truly am incensed that Canada is provided such a comfortable position on the world stage, and that you personally thought $26m was a hefty price tag for that luxury.

Granted, no one wants their country to enter illegitimate wars, but if it has to be done, whether it's for "world peace" or for the oil that fuels your economy and mine, some participation by capable neighboring countries would be appreciated.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nspekta

Canada used to be a peace-loving, happy, kind nation. )

Are you unfamiliar with Canada's role in afghanistan?

where do you think all that heroin in Vancouver comes from?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by kevinunknown
$26M isn’t really that much when you think about what they are doing over there.

Which is precisely what? Given that so many of our First Nations are living in squalour.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

For every single dollar spent by the US to protect itself, Canada benefits by virtue of the fact that the security of your country is bolstered by America's military presence surrounding your nation.

Clear on that?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

reply to post by tooo many pills

North America needs an overhaul ASAP! We need to get back to our Canadian Roots,

Kidnapping natives for residential schools, trapping animals, and staying loyal to the queen?

those 'roots'?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

There is nothing to forgive you for. We all have our opinions and we are all entitled to them.

You have to understand that, although this is really a paltry sum, it is the symbolic significance that is enraging. We have a military that is under equipped. We have cuts to education and health spending. And, we have a government that wants to waste money on an illegitimate war. A war with no good guy, no bad guy, just two sides fighting for control.

It is the symbolism, not the value.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Makes you wonder how many small scale water treatment plants could be built for 26 million doesn't it?

Maybe how many miles of electrical grid could be run?

It is such a shame that we could be so much stronger in the future if we could just have the political will to make Canada a first world nation for all of her people.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

Canada used to be a peace-loving, happy, kind nation. )

Are you unfamiliar with Canada's role in afghanistan?

where do you think all that heroin in Vancouver comes from?

Hence why I said USED to be a peace-loving nation... I never said that i agreed with afghanistan did I? Ya, the heroin comes from afghanistan, the poppy fields are patrolled by Canadian and US troops to ensure their safety...
edit on 9/6/11 by masqua because: Edited missed edit BB code - messing up the page

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

The resources you recieve for cheap more than cover the costs.

In fact, they more than cover the costs of your entire military, let alone the ones that 'supposedly' defend Canada.

Canada is more than capable of taking care of herself against any nation except one.

Are we being defended or imprisoned?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by peck420

The US spends exactly ZERO dollars to defend Canada.

The US spends billions to defend the US and the US only.

That's not entirely accurate. Canada is not exactly unaware that the world largest superpower is directly south of them, and they most certainly benefit from this knowledge. Which is the point the person you are responding to was making, i believe.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Hence why I said USED to be a peace-loving nation... I never said that i agreed with afghanistan did I? Ya, the heroin comes from afghanistan, the poppy fields are patrolled by Canadian and US troops to ensure their safety...

Well, when was it 'peace-loving', then?
edit on 9-6-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

(info: the Canadian dollar is worth MORE than the US dollar and has been for some time now).

True, although only by a few cents, and you wont find a bank who will give you par for it as they take their cut. So, basically, they are on par for the average citizen

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourignoranceisbliss
reply to post by Nspekta

Forgive my over-reaction, but I truly am incensed that Canada is provided such a comfortable position on the world stage, and that you personally thought $26m was a hefty price tag for that luxury.

Granted, no one wants their country to enter illegitimate wars, but if it has to be done, whether it's for "world peace" or for the oil that fuels your economy and mine, some participation by capable neighboring countries would be appreciated.

Before i reply here I think you should apologize to all the Canadians on this thread for calling our country a:

"a fence-sitting parasite"... rude no? This thread was not about attacking the US or any other country involved in Libya!
Canada has a comfortable position on the world stage BECAUSE of our actions (and inactions) in the past, our peacekeeping efforts, or peaceful nature... etc etc etc. And regardless of the whether you think 26M is a lot or not, we are not the US! Our population is ridiculously small compared to yours and especially other countries in the world! You are used to hearing trillions and billions on defense and wars... And as mentioned earlier... that amount is the tip of the iceberg. Im sure you could come up with a better way to spend 26M that could go towards fixing a problem domestically?

Your statement of not entering illegal wars but if it has to be done?!! Um.. do you not see the issue with your sentence... Illegal wars are bad but if you have to.. AND your friends better back you up. No dude... and if you can't see the issue with your statement well.. i feel bad for you

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds
That's not entirely accurate. Canada is not exactly unaware that the world largest superpower is directly south of them, and they most certainly benefit from this knowledge. Which is the point the person you are responding to was making, i believe.

And the US does not benefit from having one of the most resoucre rich countries in the world just north of her?

The US does not 'defend' Canada, the US protects US interests. Nothing more, nothing less.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by peck420

And the US does not benefit from having one of the most resoucre rich countries in the world just north of her?

The US does not 'defend' Canada, the US protects US interests. Nothing more, nothing less.

Good point. But to imply that canada is unaware of how they benefit from that relationship, as you have, is naive. if hey didnt have the us directly below them, they would have to spend A LOT more to protect those resources, wouldnt they? Therefore, they benefit.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Analysts have estimated that the US military strikes on Libya have cost a reported $225-750 million, and if continued (which is most assuredly will) the cost could increase to over $1 billion.

As sorry as I feel for the US, my own country, I feel even more compassionate for Canada because it is needlessly being sucked into these strikes as well. And for what? To help liberate a country from a dictator that has been in power for decades? Why does the US even need to intrude? And why is the US dragging Canada along for the ride? I'm not sure how well-maintained Canada's economy and infrastructure has been compared to the US, but it seems like the Canadian debt, whatever it may be, will skyrocket here in the near future if these outrageously expensive military campaigns continue to operate.

As much as I don't like to sound apocalyptic, situations like these are the makings of a revolution. I hate the idea of a revolution. Why do people need to revolt when a bit of very simple reformation can do the trick well enough? Revolution is just too romantic of a concept, the idea of one just sounds appealing. But I seriously doubt the ability of the western world to handle a revolution civilly or peacefully. A revolution would most likely be a step in the direction of anarchy; it'd be violent.

The US has much more pressing issues to handle in its own country anyway. That $1 billion+ could be spent on the United State's own infrastructure. Welfare and social security programs, public sector jobs, etc are said to be on the steady decline due to lack of funding, so why doesn't the government redirect the money being spent on $25 million Tomahawk cruise missiles toward these programs and jobs instead?

Help "liberate" your own goddamn people! Sheesh.

Really though, if the predicted US expenses on the campaign to help liberate Libya is going to balloon over $1 billion, then I think it's a fair assumption to make that the Canadian expenses for the Libyan campaign will reach over $100 million. Such a waste of money.
edit on 9-6-2011 by arbitrarygeneraiist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

Who said anything about being unaware?

I, and most Canadians, are far too aware of what interest the US has, and will have, in Canada.

To claim that the US defends Canada, when no one, except the US, has ever attacked Canada is a failed arguement.

Who do we need to defend ourselves from?

Who has the logistics capabilities to attack us with enough resources to conquer our current military?

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join