It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Libya mission has cost Canada $26M!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

www.cbc.ca

Canada's military mission in Libya has cost $26 million and could more than double if it's extended until the fall, Defence Minister Peter MacKay said Wednesday during a NATO summit in Brussels.

The cost covers fuel for Canada's fighter planes and patrol aircraft taking part in the NATO operation, and includes the more than 300 laser-guided bombs Canadian pilots have dropped on targets in Libya from March 19 to June 2, MacKay said at the start of a two-day meeting of alliance defence ministers.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
And apparently the costs would go up to approx 60M if the mission is extended into September!
Canada used to be a peace-loving, happy, kind nation. Now, we take our orders from the UN and are happily engaged in a WAR (sorry, kinetic mililtary action.... sorry, Humanitarian intervention...sorry)! Wasn't the Libya situation supposed to be a couple week thing?

I was so pissed about us sending planes over and bombing without parliamentary approval, let alone CANADIAN citizen approval! WE are no longer a sovereign nation, WE are a member of the NWO/UN nation where opinions and concerns of actual Canadian citizens are completely ignored! And now, 26 Million dollars that could have been spent in many many other positive ways (Education, healthcare, real and actual humanitarian aid, domestic poverty etc,etc,etc,etc!!!!!)

www.cbc.ca
edit on 6/9/2011 by Nspekta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I was looking through my receipts when I saw this on the news and I can't find the one that I must have paid that allows the Govt to use my money for this?

If I find it, I might be able to at least get a tax refund or something? Even the HST refund would help.

I also don't remember voting for this?

hmmm.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nspekta

www.cbc.ca

Canada's military mission in Libya has cost $26 million and could more than double if it's extended until the fall, Defence Minister Peter MacKay said Wednesday during a NATO summit in Brussels.

The cost covers fuel for Canada's fighter planes and patrol aircraft taking part in the NATO operation, and includes the more than 300 laser-guided bombs Canadian pilots have dropped on targets in Libya from March 19 to June 2, MacKay said at the start of a two-day meeting of alliance defence ministers.

not even close we bought 150 million worth of bombs to drop on them
26 mil might cover the cost of our troops and gas but those bombs are expensive as sin

edit on 9-6-2011 by UcDat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
What's a few million here or there when you are protecting the lives of innocent freedom fighters?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by UcDat

ha.. yup I was gonna post that this is only the tip of what the actual cost probably is! I'm sure someone in parliament was demanding a number value.. 26M for a military operation in modern times seem somewhat insignificant HOWEVER, this is OUR money and OUR name being used to bomb Libya! Of course, it is for 'Humanitarian' reasons... right. Again, that 26M could have been used for a much better use back here at home instead of chipping in to the military industrial complex machine!

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
$26 million over a couple months, eh?

That's pocket change compared to the BILLION dollars you guys spent on that two-day G20 summit in Toronto. But I am sorry we are dragging you guys along with us.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
$26M isn’t really that much when you think about what they are doing over there.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

we canadians we should get out of libya.
edit on 9-6-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I think maybe americans and canadians should unite, we both need a revolution it seems

Canada is following in the US footsteps at an alarming rate, increasing every day.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by tooo many pills

I know! It's ridiculous the money that is spent trying to limit and abolish free speech at those G8/G20 summits. North America needs an overhaul ASAP! We need to get back to our Canadian Roots, the US need to get back to its American Roots and change things for the better! We are now the US sidekick in world policing however, its deceitful because i believe we are still represented globally as a nice and fun-loving nation (the peace-keeping nation!). Really though, we are now we are a blood and guts seeking war-mongering nation who doesn't seem to care about our citizens when there is oil and gold available for the cost of foreign lives and easily attainable 'no questions-asked' domestic money.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Agreed! I'm all for us being a peace-keeping nation, we're good at that! I'm worried the path we are on as a country will lead to hatred and our 'good' name ,built up from many actually humanitarian misisons in the past, being skewed!

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
In my opinion, when facing this never ending money issue the best thing to do would be to voice your concern using your money.

Stop paying taxes by writing a well thought out, proof read, edited, re-read notice stating that you cannot in good conscious and in moral faith support a government that is acting behind your back. Use the laws of Canada against them. Its the only way. In short everyone needs to have a bit of gall, stand up to the man and just say NO.

Fighting solves nothing, look at their battle strategies, they always involve military force, right down to local city government, they are built for a fight. It is in that which lies their greatest weakness, they require our money in which to fight. One option is within our control. Its not hard to decide which.

Just my 2 cents.

-Lightrule

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I miss the days when Canada was strictly a peace-keeping nation and not the peace-maker nation it has become. What a term huh? I don't see any peace being made just misery :S

-AS-
edit on 9-6-2011 by AeonStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by AeonStorm

Well said!

2nd line

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by tooo many pills

"We?" Dont blame America, what it is is that the same economic forces that have been hijacking the government in the US now have enough power in Canada that they can start to dispense with playing to the Canadians cute little ideas that they are in charge of their own country.

Enough 'integration" has occurred that it really doesnt matter what Canadian voters want, either.

You guys better step up the pressure on your politicians or you will be in exactly the same boat the US is in, in very short order.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

We need to get back to our Canadian Roots...

This IS getting back to our roots. Peacekeeping, yes, we're good at that but when you look at Canada's military actions of the last 100 years, we are warriors when the time calls for them. We sent 1/3 of our POPULATION overseas during WW1. WW2 I'm sure you guys are more familiar with. Significant contribution. Korea, the same. It's when the gov't gutted the Forces that we became "peacekeepers". Now Harper is putting teeth back in the military. Good. It's the ONLY thing that he's done that I agree with.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Good post! Maybe Harper was getting sick of all the G8/G20 old boys bugging him about our military. You know, the Canadian military 'Canoes', igloo bunkers... etc

WW1 was one of Canada's finest military moments, IMO. Vimy ridge was 'THE' battle that brought us together. However, as much as we have a solid military history (remember,we beat those damn Yanks too! ahah), I still believe that we got our image through our ability to use force if needed (as in ww1 and ww2) but not be the war-mongerers that we appear to be now. I'm all for us having more 'teeth' in our military (as i saw the gear my bro was assigned before he left for Afghanistan... used US military stuff! Seriously!), BUT i don't want to see us become Peace-makers (as another member said earlier) especially under false pretenses. Again, we didnt vote on this, parliament was just told we are doing it... we took OUR orders from the UN! WW1 and WW2, i would gander a guess that the majority of Canadians would have wanted to be there to help Europe.. AND we engaged our troops in those conflicts through proper parliamentary channels.. now, the UN say's jump, and we say how high?! Pathetic really.....

edit on 6/9/2011 by Nspekta because: ....

edit on 6/9/2011 by Nspekta because: ...

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
What's a few million here or there when you are protecting the lives of innocent freedom fighters?

They have links to the Mujahadeen, they aren't freedom fighters

Plus they are restarting the Oil Business in Libya and NATO says they may repoint their guns towards the rebels
Once the rebels have the oil they'll say it's another al-qaeda and they retake the oil

It's all a show man

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

now, the Un say's jump, and we say how high?! Pathetic really.....

And by the same token the UN says "no" and we agree. Thus we DIDN'T go in to Iraq. Pathetic? I don't think so. Moderate, the way we should and hopefully always will be.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join