It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop reprimanded 12 times and suspended 4 times kills unarmed student and keeps his job

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ParkerCramer

If you are one of the good guys, do you enforce laws just because its your job, even if they appear to go against the constitution?

There is an idea called "officer's discretion." It basically means we get to make the call on how we handle that particular situation. You would be amazed how often it is used to avoid bothering people over petty crap. I haven't personally ran in to a situation where I thought I was encroaching on the constitution.

I would like to believe that I wouldn't violate the constitution, but what you see as a violation the state or federal supreme court may not. So, which way should I go torwards your definition or the court's? I'm not trying to be a smug arse. I'm just trying to display the position LEOs face.

Have you ever turned in a fellow officer for being corrupt??

I have reported a person that I work with for a breach of protocol that I believed put civilians at risk.

have you ever written a traffic citation to a fellow officer who has broken a traffic law while on duty??

Nope. A lot of times what people deem "unnecessary" speeding is a cop responding to a call that is urgent but not a full emergency. A burglar alarm, reports of suspicious activity, and other smaller things tha may turn major. It is not a violation of law in most states. It is an exemption given to law enforcement, EMS, and municipal fire departments. The same applies to lane changes and turn signals.

As far as I know leaving the car running and unocupied is not a crime in my state.

Would I give an off duty cop a ticket? In a heart beat. Cops have to set the example. I find the idea of "professional courtesy" a little distasteful. Of course I also refuse free fountain drinks and discounts in food establishments.

Do you know how many times the average LEO lets all of the things you cited go on the average day? If they stopped everybody they saw doing that stuff they wouldn't be able to do anything else.

so do it or get another profession.

My point was that LEOs do all of the things that the average person says we don't. We do things that would mentally crush the average person. Then we have to turn around and put up with disrespect from most people because they believe they know our jobs and the law better than we do. They try to crucify cops without knowledge the job or the laws that really govern it.

Police officers go through hell trying to keep people safe and maintain order. It is a no win situation though. If you acomplish what the people say they want they rip you apart and second guess your every move. If you don't they rip you apart and claim you are corrupt or worse.

treat EVERYONE with contempt

I am guilty of treating people with contempt, when they are disregarding the safety or security of others. When someone is doing something idioticly dangerous to others they recieve contempt. If they are doing something morally reprehensible they get contempt. (Think crimes against children or the elderly.)

and with the possibility that we are all going to harm you.

I don't think everybody is going to hurt me. I do know that I am not psychic. That means I can not tell who is going to try. There are certain signs I look for to find danger. If you aren't displaying those signs I will only ask that you keep your hands in plain sight.

I believe compassion and respect are usually the first proper response. Even gang bangers tend to stay a lot calmer if you speak with authority in your voice but stay respectful. \\

In closing I would like to say "Respect is earned, never strong armed, or purchased."

I completely agree and wish everyone on both sides would remember that.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

The first two links are from the 1990's. The Clinton administration was running a hard line against all standardized testing. There was this popular theory that since the tests are usually designed by college educated white guys they must be culturaly biased. There fore standardized testing had to be ended to level the playing field for minorities.

They went after civil service exams, the SAT exam, and all kinds of testing. It was the worst kind of racial pandering. It was also insulting to the minorities that had worked hard and passed these exams.

The New London link is amazing. The department where I work values education. 90% of the force has at least some college education. Both of our majors have Doctorate degrees. I can not understand dismissing a canidate because they are too smart. If you look at the list in your first link several states refuse to dumb down. There aren't any links to stories regarding several of the states.

I appreciate your third link. I had not seen that article.

I feel your frustration.but understand the public's when these storys are aired.

I feel the same frustration. I hate to see some scum like this slip through and kill somebody. I don't know if he
was justified. From the article it sounds like he wasn't. If he had obeyed his orders this could have been avoided.

I just get tired of seeing these threads turn in to "we need to start killing cops." It happens nearly every time and the posts get dozens of stars. There is a virulent hatred for police here on ATS and in many communities. Much of it based on false perceptions by people with no idea what they are talking about. Then there is the crowd that is mad because they got busted doing something but blame the "jack booted" cops. I see very few people with honest empathy or anger.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

Thanks for the reply, I do believe you may have sidestepped the question about writing a citation to an on-duty officer, I am sure you have seen an officer commit a traffic violation, but, we can just agree to disagree on that question, because I realize that no officer is ever going to write a ticket to another on-duty officer, I was just trying to make a point.

After reading your other responses, I can honestly say, that although we do have different perceptions of most LEO and citizen inter actions, I believe YOU to be one of the "Good Guys", just attempting to make a living in a very tough and controversial occupation.

You appear to be someone who would be an excellent choice to work with a citizens group in order to repair the relationship between Citizens and LEO's

Star for your efforts!

Parker

edit on 26-5-2011 by ParkerCramer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

I do believe you may have sidestepped the question about writing a citation to an on-duty officer,

I will answer with more detail. Then I'm hitting the bed. I should have hours ago. I'm pulling the overnight shift again.

Where I work we have no less than five departments running calls at any time. We do not all communicate on the same radio frequency. To do so would be a logistics nightmare. So, when I see another officer from another agency speeding or not using their signal I have to assume the are in the right. If I guess wrong I could be jeopardizing someone's safety.

If they are from my agency I can not pull them. I have to file a report on what I saw and file it up the chain of command.That was the breach in protocol I mentioned. I saw a person from the department speeding through a crowded part of a local university. They also failed to stop at a stop sign and nearly hit a student crossing the road.

I filed my report and the person recieved two "driver's points." If you get more than eight in 18 calendar months you get fired.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81

I do believe you may have sidestepped the question about writing a citation to an on-duty officer,

I will answer with more detail. Then I'm hitting the bed. I should have hours ago. I'm pulling the overnight shift again.

Where I work we have no less than five departments running calls at any time. We do not all communicate on the same radio frequency. To do so would be a logistics nightmare. So, when I see another officer from another agency speeding or not using their signal I have to assume the are in the right. If I guess wrong I could be jeopardizing someone's safety.

If they are from my agency I can not pull them. I have to file a report on what I saw and file it up the chain of command.That was the breach in protocol I mentioned. I saw a person from the department speeding through a crowded part of a local university. They also failed to stop at a stop sign and nearly hit a student crossing the road.

I filed my report and the person recieved two "driver's points." If you get more than eight in 18 calendar months you get fired.

Thanks, that response answers some questions I had, and I appreciate the candid post, it sheds some light.

get some sleep, I wouldn't want to inact a citizens arrest because you were driving irractically, due to lack of sleep.

Thanks again,

Parker

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
The badge is a pass to kill anyone and beat anyone you like and get away with it. I need to get one

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf
...Someone said in a post recently, "Where are all the good cop videos?"

they don't exist. or you mean the ones of the cops hiding behind bushes with their radar gun giving $150 tickets to overworked, overtaxed and tired citizens on their way to work and back.

or the brave cops that face planted a cripple and tasered a 10 yr old girl. now they're shooting unarmed 14yr olds.

and why not, if the president sets an example of shooting unarmed people, including women, without trial, why shouldn't other people in government do the same.

they are just following the presidents lead.

edit on 26-5-2011 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

When is enough going to be enough? What is it going to take? How much longer are the citizens of the US going to put up with police brutality? Will it take them going door to door, smashing in peoples homes and confiscating guns? More children dying at the hands of these thugs. When will Americans fight back? can they fight back? How do they fight back? America is quickly becoming a police state, some say it is already happened with the induction of the Patriot Act. Americans have NO rights when it comes to defending themselves against police, an American in a situation where the police are in the wrong will absolutely be the victim if that person tries to speak their mind or disagree with the police. They will lock you up for terroristic threatening....thanks patriot act.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

And if you work at a fast food restaurant and eat their food on the sly you're fired. Priorities anyone?

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by AgentSimms

an American in a situation where the police are in the wrong will absolutely be the victim if that person tries to speak their mind or disagree with the police. They will lock you up for terroristic threatening....thanks patriot act.

That is news to me. The people that falsely accused me of excessive force are still walking around free. Even though filing a false report is illegal no one is prosecuting them. They aren't being harrassed or arrested. They are still walking those same streets yelling threats and talking about a cover up.

As a matter of fact the perp's mom got away with throwing rocks at a police car today. The officer was told not to arrest her because it would look like retaliation. The tax payers get to pick up the check for a broken windshield. The lady gets to demolish public property without consequence. People with no experience and knowledge get to keep ripping on cops.

The world goes on.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Bad cop
I looked into this story as I was curious and did not want to just read one side of the story.
Read the part of the story about powder burns or the lack of.

You do know 100 years ago there was no psych exam for officers, and cops were just fine back when.
What happened?

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

I'd like to say unbelievable, but sadly it isn't anymore...

I really don't think there's much time left before TSHTF..

People really can't take much more crap from TPTB..

I think the S HAS HTF already. we just keep denying it to ourselves.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by AgentSimms

When is enough going to be enough? What is it going to take? How much longer are the citizens of the US going to put up with police brutality? Will it take them going door to door, smashing in peoples homes and confiscating guns? More children dying at the hands of these thugs. When will Americans fight back? can they fight back? How do they fight back? America is quickly becoming a police state, some say it is already happened with the induction of the Patriot Act. Americans have NO rights when it comes to defending themselves against police, an American in a situation where the police are in the wrong will absolutely be the victim if that person tries to speak their mind or disagree with the police. They will lock you up for terroristic threatening....thanks patriot act.

That's the question that I keep asking. What in hell is wrong with my fellow Americans today, that letting this type of abuse escalate and worsen? where is the tipping point?

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

I'm guessing the union kept his job for him if he was that much trouble. Gotta get those monthly dues no matter what.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Give the guy a break, he feared for his safety, and he has a pension to keep.
edit on 26-5-2011 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TonyBravada
reply to post by badw0lf

Yeah, the problem is, that doesn't happen in America. Sorry about your luck... April 26, 1992... There was a riot on the streets tell me where were you? Or, tell me how many of those cops were jailed?

Minor correction... It was April 29, 1992

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
This is despicable... an officer like him gives every officer a bad name when they are not all bad.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
This is a bunch of BS plain and simple.

First off, if my boss tells me to do something and I do not it. I get fired. There are no if, and or buts' about it. He tells me to do something and I do not do it, it makes no difference why I did not do what I was told. I didn't do it- I get fired. End of story. If I were to file for unemployment, it would then be denied because I failed to perform the task I was directed to perform by my employer, hence my employer had every right to fire me.

Instead of staying with the victim and getting his information and information about the suspect, this officer loads up the victim and brings him along for the ride while he hunts for the suspect. Right here, at this point, this officer disobeys a direct order.

Now if I were told by a police officer to do something and I refused, I would be tased, pepper sprayed, or tackled, manhandled and beaten. Then I would be taken to jail on the charge of "disobeying a lawful order" but this idiot can not only disobey his supervisor, but then goes out and kills a 14 year old suspect while he is disobeying that order and it is called a "justified shooting" and he gets to keep getting a paycheck which is supplied by the taxpayers.

The evidence does not even support the officer's version of events. He should not only lose his job, he should be arrested and charged and face a jury. Of course that will not happen cause Cops always cover for and take care of other Cops, which in my opinion makes them just as guilty.

If I lived next door to this "officer" I would invite him over for dinner so that he can have an accident. In this case I think an eye for eye is very fitting. Before anyone gives me the lame quote, "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind", I say to you... you have two eyes. Your only blind if you screw up twice.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoeDaShom
This is despicable... an officer like him gives every officer a bad name when they are not all bad.

Nonsense... in my opinion they are all bad. The so called "good cops" sure are not standing up for the victim in this case and that makes them just as bad.

The supervisors who called this a "justified shooting" in my opinion are just as guilty as the Pig who pulled the trigger. In legal terms one could even call it "accessory after the fact" and it is something I would go to jail for. If this Police Department is not saying a word about the incident, the cover up, and the lack of disciplinary action and are not taking any steps to draw attention to the problem nor correct it... then your "good cops" are just as bad as the "bad cops".

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Has the family of the slain teen sued the police department or city? That seems to be the only way for cop's that do BS like this to face any sort of consequences these days. Sad but true.

There needs to be more outrage and attention to these sorts of incidents or they'll only get worse.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join