It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop reprimanded 12 times and suspended 4 times kills unarmed student and keeps his job

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
And... a cop getting away with murder and multiples violation of the law once again. And they try to tell us that there's a ``justice system``... Give me a break.

Officer who shot student had history of not following orders

Shortly after a supervisor told Daniel Alvarado to stay with the victim of a minor assault and not search for the suspect, the school district officer ran into the backyard of a Northwest Side home with his gun drawn.

Moments later, Alvarado fired his weapon, killing an unarmed 14-year-old boy.

The November incident was not the first time the officer had ignored an order, according to records recently obtained by the San Antonio Express-News.

Since 2006, Alvarado's supervisors at the Northside Independent School District Police Department had reprimanded or counseled him on at least 12 occasions — six for not following orders. In other cases, Alvarado failed to show up for assignments, and his bosses appeared to suspect him of lying.

Alvarado was suspended at least four times, and his supervisors warned of impending termination four times — once even recommending it.

But Alvarado, 46, never was fired. Six months after the death of student Derek Lopez, as an investigation into the shooting continues, the 17-year veteran of the Police Department remains with the school district.

Just think a little. Ok that cop made a mistake by shooting the kid. He probably didn't do it on purpose.

BUT... IF his freaking bosses had enforced the law and FIRED HIM after let's say 3 reprimands, he would have not worked that day and he wouldn't have killed that kid.

So it's this cop's fault and his boss's too.
edit on 26-5-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I'd like to say unbelievable, but sadly it isn't anymore...

I really don't think there's much time left before TSHTF..

People really can't take much more crap from TPTB..

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Someone said in a post recently, "Where are all the good cop videos?"

I just had a thought.

We're inundated with bad cops getting away with bad crap videos.

What we NEED are videos of bad cops getting BUSTED for bad crap videos.

Not "the officer prevented the theft" or "The cop stopped the criminal by chasing him on foot." stories.

That is their JOB.

Nah, we need to see that when they step out of line, they are dealt with severely.

We don't see that. We see them step out of line, and get away with it - patted on the back no less. We see them step out of line and it's ignored. We've even seen them step out of line, collaborate a story, get it passed, victim is charged, it all comes out and still no charges laid against the cops.

WE NEED PROSECUTION OF BAD COP VIDEOS!

then there will be equilibrium among most viewers.

edit on 26/5/2011 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Yeah, the problem is, that doesn't happen in America. Sorry about your luck... April 26, 1992... There was a riot on the streets tell me where were you? Or, tell me how many of those cops were jailed?

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
"where do you think i got this guitar that your hearing today? ":

we need a strong malitia ow wait the feds just rip them apart

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
He should be put in jail!

To be not punished and kept on the force is ridiculous!

I am so sick of things like this happening, we need some real change to happen in this world. Anything except what is happening today.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   

You can see this on a daily occurrence. Its getting to be so common,that you dont know who the criminals are anymore. Their are good LEO's out there. The problem is they get lumped in with the bad ones. A majority of the good ones,stick up for the bad ones also. Better training and psychological evaluations,every six months,and better and smarter recruiting techniques, could help the situation. Also,changing the laws that keep these types of people on the job.If you cannot mentally do the job,find another one.

S&F
edit on 26-5-2011 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

A majority of the good ones,stick up for the bad ones also.

THAT'S the problem IMO..

How can you be classed as a "Good Cop" if you turn your back on criminal behavior of other cops??

That's why I don't believe there really are that many Good Cops left..

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Most departments have a X number of reprimands per calendar year rule. If it took him 5 years to get all twelve he was probably skating under the limit on purpose. It sucks that it happened. I think the rules need to be stricter. There is no reason that a cop with no respect for his job - or law and order - should be able to keep his job. This guy was hoping that he could ride out to a retirement by the skin of his teeth.

They need to fire him and the state needs to step in to investigate.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Nah, we need to see that when they step out of line, they are dealt with severely.

When anybody does post that kind of information it still turns in to twelve pages of "kill cops," "all cops are criminals," and the other standard fare. No matter what you post the same bashers show up and turn it in to a hate fest.

reply to post by badw0lf

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Do you know what goes in to getting a job at most police departments? The initial applications, with all of the questionares and attachments, are about 32 to 35 pages. If the aplication is complete and passes muster you take a written test. If you pass the test there is an oral interview that lasts about an hour. That is followed by a review board where you are questioned by at least 3 officers. If you get okayed at that point you get to take the psych evaluation. It takes more than two hours and involves multiple written tests. Then the state administers a polygraph.

That doesn't include the physical fitness exams or the back ground checks. They dig through your criminal records and medical records. Depending on the position you are seeking they sometimes go out and talk to people in your old neighborhoods. Plus you have to attend and pass the police academy.

Getting hired as a police officer can take between 6 months and 18 months.

I don't understand why people think getting a LEO commission and job is as simple as applying at Wal Mart. It is one of the most grueling processes out there.

Then after you get the job unless you kiss everybody's rear end they swear you are corrupt or out to get them. You see deep dark things that the average mind can't imagine. You drag legitimate threats off of the street. Then every idiot that is mad he got arrested wants to complain about how you do your job. People routinely disrespect you, cuss at you, and try to fight you. They complain if you physically restrain them to put the cuffs on. The just magically forget the part where they threatened you, refused to comply with any request, and tried to struggle when you cuffed them for your safety.

Even if you do everything directly by the book some guy with a grudge will try to tell you, "you can't do that." Even better they'll tell you that you can't arrest them because, "I know my rights."

Yeah, well you gave up your rights when you sat behind the wheel with a BAC of .12 and hit the public roads. You start being the bad guy when you are walking up to people yelling in their face and harrassing them for money.

Untill a person has had a 12 year old kid threaten to kill them because they are a cop they don't even begin to understand the job. Until you're trying to arrest a combative suspect wanted on gun, assault, and domestic abuse warrants and get surrounded by a group of people screaming threats, you haven't lived.

If you do anything besides plead with the criminals a certain portion of the public gets mad every time. The same people will be ready to crucify the police if there is any crime in the neighborhood. They cry about how the police don't care about them. Then when they show up and try to do their job the people complain because the police are racist, intimidating, rude, or any number of things.

Being a cop or security professional is a thankless job. From all of the good guys that people like to rip up every day, you're welcome.
edit on 26-5-2011 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
So another scenerio happened that I know of. A police person continually was being reported for abuse.

A top officer sat down the one in charge of this police person and asked him why he had not discharged the officer after so many complaints came in. He replied that due to the civil rights lawsuits brought by discharged officers that it was easier to just keep him on the police force. Otherwise, the police officer could do anything he wanted repeatedly as no-one wanted to bother going to Court if he filed some case stating he was discharged incorrectly. (this abusive officer had also hired the DA as his lawyer right before he became the DA - for issues relating to abuse towards a female, stalking and I do believe assault and battery onto a man that this woman was/is involved in, threats made even in print to which the court and others had proof of, etc. and he was kept on the force then still due to the now DAs help.

That leads us to question the DA and his attitude towards females and others civil rights all the time and it appears this person wants to climb the political ladder so watch out. This all went public as one courageous media outlet put it on their front page and since the victims kept speaking up. The officer is gone now I do believe but it took years. I think the more people speak up online or however the faster they will go out the door (s).

I do think they looked at the past history of the office involved and saw that they were not bothering to report bad officers, too much paperwork or something for them to do. So they would let officers with guns do as they pleased no matter what it appears. If the ones at the top are not doing their jobs then it trickles down so if there are abusive ones down at the bottom....it is time to start looking at who is at the top.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by theUNKNOWNawaits

Be specific with your wants. It can get a whole lot worse...

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Seems like this is becoming a new fad in the world of law enforcement. I keep seeing videos and news reports about police brutality around here, so it makes me think....

This really is not anything new but it is getting worse, and more importantly, the people are taking serious notice. I can't help but wonder what possibly could be going through the mind of an officer that uses extreme force all the time...is he/she convinced by TPTB that American citizens are really the enemy?

Peace keepers are long gone in the police profession it seems, and they are quickly being replaced by hired thugs to do the bidding of the string pullers.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
the problem is that the good ones are not supported by the system. If they forget to tie their shoelaces they could get fired, meanwhile another one kills people and is promoted. That's the inherent flaw of the police, sure you can maybe stop a criminal every now and then, or at least scare people away from crime through the threat of punishment, but ultimately the power corrupts and it becomes the menace. So now you have a street free of jay walkers and prostitutes but a government controlled by off-shore foreign powers.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81
reply to post by sonnny1

Do you know what goes in to getting a job at most police departments? The initial applications, with all of the questionares and attachments, are about 32 to 35 pages. If the aplication is complete and passes muster you take a written test. If you pass the test there is an oral interview that lasts about an hour. That is followed by a review board where you are questioned by at least 3 officers. If you get okayed at that point you get to take the psych evaluation. It takes more than two hours and involves multiple written tests. Then the state administers a polygraph.

That doesn't include the physical fitness exams or the back ground checks. They dig through your criminal records and medical records. Depending on the position you are seeking they sometimes go out and talk to people in your old neighborhoods. Plus you have to attend and pass the police academy.

Getting hired as a police officer can take between 6 months and 18 months.

I don't understand why people think getting a LEO commission and job is as simple as applying at Wal Mart. It is one of the most grueling processes out there.

Then after you get the job unless you kiss everybody's rear end they swear you are corrupt or out to get them. You see deep dark things that the average mind can't imagine. You drag legitimate threats off of the street. Then every idiot that is mad he got arrested wants to complain about how you do your job. People routinely disrespect you, cuss at you, and try to fight you. They complain if you physically restrain them to put the cuffs on. The just magically forget the part where they threatened you, refused to comply with any request, and tried to struggle when you cuffed them for your safety.

Even if you do everything directly by the book some guy with a grudge will try to tell you, "you can't do that." Even better they'll tell you that you can't arrest them because, "I know my rights."

Yeah, well you gave up your rights when you sat behind the wheel with a BAC of .12 and hit the public roads. You start being the bad guy when you are walking up to people yelling in their face and harrassing them for money.

Untill a person has had a 12 year old kid threaten to kill them because they are a cop they don't even begin to understand the job. Until you're trying to arrest a combative suspect wanted on gun, assault, and domestic abuse warrants and get surrounded by a group of people screaming threats, you haven't lived.

If you do anything besides plead with the criminals a certain portion of the public gets mad every time. The same people will be ready to crucify the police if there is any crime in the neighborhood. They cry about how the police don't care about them. Then when they show up and try to do their job the people complain because the police are racist, intimidating, rude, or any number of things.

Being a cop or security professional is a thankless job. From all of the good guys that people like to rip up every day, you're welcome/

Enjoyed your post, it was well written and to the point. You make some very valid arguments.

Now, lets see if I can give you an opposing point of view, If you are one of the good guys, do you enforce laws just because its your job, even if they appear to go against the constitution?

Have you ever turned in a fellow officer for being corrupt??

have you ever written a traffic citation to a fellow officer who has broken a traffic law while on duty?? We see it happen everyday, speeding, no turn signal, illegal lane change, leaving their patrol car running without being occupied.

I feel for you, when you describe the effect it puts on an individual to have their life threatened, coming from someone who has seen the ugly side of war, I understand......................But, one you chose your profession, you should of known the inherent dangers, and to use a LEO expression "I'm just doing my job" Well, its your job to handle the situations you describe, so do it or get another profession.

The real problem that I see here is that yes the situations you describe are trying and dangerous, but it seems that you LEO treat EVERYONE with contempt, and with the possibility that we are all going to harm you. The same defense that you used, "Yes there are some bad cops, but that dosent make us all bad" should certainly be afforded us citizens.

In closing I would like to say "Respect is earned, never strong armed, or purchased."

Parker

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
The problem is they get lumped in with the bad ones. A majority of the good ones,stick up for the bad ones also.

"Good cops" sticking up for the bad cops are NOT "good cops".

They make themselves accessories after the fact - which also is a crime - by sticking up for other cops they know are bad.

Another example: Do we really consider priests that cover up for pedophile priests to be "good priests"?

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Look,when criminals and LEOS get lumped together,you know there is a problem. Your claim about being ripped on for a thankless job,is actually unwarranted. I salute those who put their lives in dangerous situations,and protect the public.But to say Corruption,lies,and abuse of power ISNT running rampant in our police forces,is clear DENIAL.You are there to protect and serve.When Officers step over that line,they shouldnt be rewarded. When the National average of intelligence of an officer is at 104 IQ,and is kept there because of federal policy's,we need to change the way America hires its LEO's. Dont like the microscope,find another job.Help change the laws.

U.S. Justice Department Wants "Dumbed Down" Cops

Police reject candidate for being too intelligent

If you dont like the way the public perceives you,find ways to change that also. This perception is going to be a hot topic,until you and your fellow brothers stop denying the fact that there is rampant abuse.

Research conducted by Montana State University in the summer of 2006 points out numerous misperceptions on the part of the law enforcement community. What the mainstream media report and what the public as a whole believes are not the same. The research revealed overwhelming support for police officers and their efforts to reduce crime and keep neighborhoods safe. On the street, however, it is easy for officers to believe that the opposite is true, because they generally do not come into contact with the supportive segment of the population. The same research indicates that many police officers do in fact feel distrusted and unappreciated by the public.

The Media, the Public, and the Law Enforcement Community: Correcting Misperceptions

So,do you think that this unappreciative attitude perceived by many officers,doesn't affect their ability to work? I do.I know its a tough job.We are all human,but I hold LEO's to a higher standard,and so does the rest of the country.

BTW,I have met some fine officers,I have met some fine ones on ATS. I feel your frustration.but understand the public's when these storys are aired.

edit on 26-5-2011 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

Actually the problem is usually a person with no idea what is happening yelling about rules and laws they don't know.

I'll let you in on a personal experience.

I was responding to a call with a LEO. The call came in that a black SUV pulled up in front of a bus stop and came to a halt. Six males jumped out and attacked a teenage girl, her brother, and younger sister. We respond at full speed with lights and sirens. We are on the way and we see two of the attackers running in to a residential area. We start pursuing the two suspects.

We chase them for probably 500 yards and get with in twenty feet of the guys. One of them turns and starts sprinting torwards us at full speed. He is wearing a hoodie in 85 degree weather and has one hand tucked inside the coat. At that distance there isn't enough time to draw a weapon. So, the other officer lowers his shoulder and tackles the suspect. A wrestling match ensues. I step in to help and hear a woman's voice.

The perps mother comes out from across the street screaming, "They killin' my po baby. They killin' my baby." I end up in the skirmish on the ground. By the time we get the cuffs on the guy there is a small group of people out in the road with camcorders yelling about police brutality. There are even people with sticks and bats yelling threats. I radioded for back up and had to pull other units off of their pursuits because we were in a dangerous position.

Why were we in that position? Because people that didn't know what was going on decided it was time to get the evil cops. Now four of the six people that assaulted three kids aged 15, 17, and 9 are free to do it again.

Yeah you read that right these guys had assaulted a 9 year old kid. They punched him in the face and throat. They also beat a 17 year old female in the face, throat, ribs, and back. They did it because they thought she was a girl that had "disrespected" a girl in their "crew." Turns out it was mistaken identity. That doesn't really fix her broken ribs though.

We were wrestling with a guy that had threatened to attack a cop while acting as if he had a concealed weapon. Before he did that he had decided it was fun to play kick ball with a young woman's face. Some how we were the bad guys. We didn't use mace, tasers, or guns. We wrestled with him and used restraining holds to subdue him. None of that mattered though. We were both hauled in front of the chief because there were multiple reports of "excessie force." When somebody sent in a video clip to support their claim the investigation was dropped. We actually got an apology from the chief. If they hadn't sent in the video we both would have ended up with incident reports in our folder and a full investigation would have been launched.

Here is the thing. Guys like the one in the article are mustered out before they hurt anybody everyday. LEOs have a hard enough job without having to worry about a community turning hostile because of this kind of idiot. The dismissals happen quietly and without fan fare. It isn't put in the paper or drug through the media. They don't do that when a person is fired from Best Buy and they don't do it at the police department.

The big difference is that a lot of times when an officer is dismissed there is a request to have his commission revoked. When that happens their career is over pretty much over across the country. Most departments handle their bad apples with discretion, but with the full weight and consequences available.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
speaking as a form LEO, it IS a thankless job. when i read stories about obvious abuse and killing of innocent people, it is maddening. we had an officer dismissed for taping into a niehgbors cable to get free cable...but the officer In OPs opening is still employed?!?
and people wonder why the police are not liked. one must remember that cops are JUST AVERAGE PEOPLE TOO. in the LEO world, there is as much bigotry, racism, chovanistic, extreme left- right leaning as there is in civilian life..it's just seen more because there are less cops than civilians.

the longer an officer is on the 'force', the more they see anybody that is not a cop as a POSSIBLE CRIMINAL...they cant even relate to the average civilian anymore... seen it, heard it but I couldnt be a part of that 'good ol' boy' group. officers will always turn a blind eye to abuses because there really is nothing they can do about it, unless they want to be shunned by thier fellow cops. it is a sad system when the enforcers cant even enforce themselves.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join