It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the significance - if any - between member status of "member" and "Member"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons

Aboout (the coder was Canadian?)

That's always been my assumption, too.

I smell timbits!

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

I believe you meant Padawan instead of Paladin.

Sorry, but my Jedi intuition started tingling at your post

edit on 23-5-2011 by ZombieJesus because: Would ya look at that...I got me a big "M", hehe

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by shadow watcher
I thought it was an acknowledgement of our free status name versus our State name.
Sovereign Membership rocks.

ETA: just noticed that I have no member status...hmmm I'm Anonymous!!!!!
edit on 23/5/11 by shadow watcher because: ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Actually you did have a Member/member status at one time - but at some point you participated in the collaborative writing forum, like me, and became a Writer. Although I don't remember if I was a Member or a member before I was a Writer...now I wonder if there are any writers or scholars or fighters. Are they all capitols?
Hmmm...a conspiracy board conspiracy.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Okay Mods, enough with the jokes!

This thread has me intrigued, since I too have a small member.

HEY! I was referring to my profile.

Seriously, can we get a straight answer or do we have to beg you folks to help us "read between the lines" of what appears to be some inside joke.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I'm a Member too. Hmm interesting.
edit on 24-5-2011 by Caleb.K because: .

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Might I make a suggestion in case the capital M problem arises again. Just use the capital W and turn it upside down.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Member.............

Mods are you trying to find the mystical superior race on ATS? Kind of like the Aryans and the Nazi's? Just a simple theory.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I see I have a large Member. I don't get it either. Now I'm wondering why some people have small members? Maybe there is some secret code that has to do with font size or something people have set up in their profile.

Now asking why some people have a small m or big M may seem unimportant and some may say size doesn't matter but if you make someone curious, they want to know.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Good find never took much notice

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Yes they are, good guess. I was just contemplating that very thought myself.

Originally posted by IPILYA
Ya know what I find interesting? The fact that any other B&Q thread has a moderator post within the first few posts.
This thread is on page 2 and it is 12 hours old as of now and not a single mod reply. I don't think there is a conspiracy here, but the Mods are withholding info, even if it is to see if we can figure it out on our own. Someone is getting a chuckle at our expense.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
No geographic location has nothing to do with it. Unless of course, they've split us into states/provinces etc.
Maybe we're just Pets to them and we've been separated into herds

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

Originally posted by Aeons

Aboout (the coder was Canadian?)

That's always been my assumption, too.

I smell timbits!

edit on 24-5-2011 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I run several fora and at one time I used SMF forum software and went back to PHPBB3 when they had ironed out all the glitches.

When I moved my database over onto the new system using a 'port' I then had to go into the admin control panel and fiddle with some things that didn't port over .... one of them being the group names and ranks.

Without noticing I accidentally put an extra 's' in one of the group names. Eventually a member brought it to my attention and I simply went into the database and changed all of the incorrect spelling for correct ones.

No conspiracy sadly.. just human error on my part.

I know that ATS has changed since I first started visiting, perhaps someone fiddling in the staff room forgot the large Member! lol

OOhh and I have a large M.... for some reason that makes me smile...

edit on 24-5-2011 by yzzyUK because: To boast about my largness

edit on 24-5-2011 by yzzyUK because: spellos

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bordon81
OK most of these labels make sense but what is the4 that started this thread?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Hmmmm if you take the Three Amigos literally, and count 0 as a value........that's just me talkin though

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by lcbjr1979
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Might I make a suggestion in case the capital M problem arises again. Just use the capital W and turn it upside down.

Will do!!

We struggled with using the small m.. but decided that member was still better than ember..

Could you imagine the uproar... Members vs embers

it's getting hot in here

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by IPILYA

So I was watching old episodes of "Sliders" last night and in the two part episode(38-39) "The Exodus" they were in an "End of the World" situation. When they created the dimensional portal it could only handle a certain number of people, so they split the population into to groups and only took one to survive and repopulate the new world.

It appears that ATS has split us into two groups as well. Capital and lowercase M. Could this be the reason?

Note to Mods: If this is the case, please amplify your power output and take both groups. If power is maxed out please choose the Capital Ms and give my spot to the first lowercase member that can guess the number I am thinking of right now.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by IPILYA
... and give my spot to the first lowercase member that can guess the number I am thinking of right now.

Would that number be Bleen? According to Carlin it's between 7 and 8.

Seriously, we don't know why this exists. Wish we did.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Great, now I have to think of a new number because a Super Mod guessed it first.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I don't even know what mine is, so I'm gonna post here to find out.

Hmmm seems mines an M. Did this get answered on a previous page?

ALS
edit on 24-5-2011 by ALOSTSOUL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
It doesn't seem to have anything to do with custom titles. There are people on this page with custom titles and big M's, and there are others who have custom titles and little m's. I'm not really seeing a correlation with join dates either.

The only one that hasn't been ruled out for me is the case being lowered when you've been warned/post banned. I've been both before and I have a small "m."

Only way to prove it in action is to find someone being warned for the first time and compare their before and after titles.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

You are correct. The small "m" in member means that the avatar in question had received a post ban. I do not think, however, that someone is "demoted" from "Member" to "member" simply by receiving a warning.
This could have changed since my post ban.
Any custom titles are removed upon receiving a post ban and hmmmm.... take me for instance.

I had "writer" status, which allowed me to participate in the collaborative/creative writing forum, and I got into it with a few folks in a thread that I had started.
One of my very dear friends, who is now banned but still the most starred poster at ATS, received a warning from the higher ups.
I openly challenged this in my thread, a HIGHLY controversial thread mind you, and I made some off the cuff comments that were disrespectful.
I was promptly post banned. A post banned that I most definitely deserved.

I lost "writer" status and now I have the new version of the old red badge of shame/courage.

I am now a "member".

I hope this serves as a warning to every reader.

Stay within the T & C's.

Cheers.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join