It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if the religious prophets were just crazy?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
With all the attention and followers this May 21 apocalypse guy is getting, i've started thinking about past prophets. Then an idea dawned on me. What if the biblical "prophets" and those of other religions were just crazy? Maybe they were schizophrenic and that's why they heard "Messages from God". I mean just look at how many followers this May 21 guy is getting!

People were even dumber back then and more eager to follow in the early AD years than they are now, and that's saying something. Maybe the truth got obscured and over-hyped after years of story telling down from generation to generation.

As for miracles… well let me just leave you with a clip of Jesus from Family Guy:

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I ask that question a lot. Especially to people who are really set in their ways. I say "how come a couple thousand years ago if God spoke to someone, that person was cherished and now if I said God spoke to me you'd say I should be on medication?"

Think I ever got an answer? Nope. How does anyone know if God speaks directly to me or not? Maybe I AM a prophet, but I'm just not allowed to tell anyone till I've been instructed to do so. Maybe I just over slept this morning and I forgot to start the Rapture in the first time zone. Let me have my coffee quick, I've got some work to do.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
The thing I can't understand is, if the Universe was created and just didn't "happen", Why create something so vast for the people living on one lousy little planet? What happens, if there are in fact other "humanoids" on planets in other parts of the Universe? What if we're such a huge disappointment to our "Creator", that he/she didn't go someplace else in the Universe and "try" again? What if in that instance, Jesus, for instance, didn't get killed? What if when he showed up, those people "got" it so they have a much closer tie to the "Creator" than we here on this odd-ball little planet do? How do we know we can trust what people say about "Holy" books since the only thing that we know about them for real is that the were "written/re-written" by man? How has trusting "holy" men worked out for us so far?
edit on 21-5-2011 by CosmosKid because: spelling

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I think your right, this has always been my theroy as well, maybe these religious people will wake up now and stop following crazy men and crazy books.
On the other hand maybe they wont cause it would mean admitting they have been wrong for 1000's of years which will never ever ever happen.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89
With all the attention and followers this May 21 apocalypse guy is getting, i've started thinking about past prophets.

People were even dumber back then and more eager to follow in the early AD years than they are now, and that's saying something.

People back then also didnt have any radio, T.V, Internet, Newspapers, Phone, Cellphone etc...
I think technology has made everyone more crazy
edit on 21-5-2011 by grindhouzer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmosKid

The way i think about it is that if a creator was all knowing, they'd be smart enough to know that making humans the way we are, we'd get really screwed up. That's why i think it was intentional. I just think we're here to learn and that everything is the way it's supposed to be. After all, it's like having kids. Really the most effective way for them to learn not to jump off a swing is for them to jump off a swing and get hurt.

Originally posted by grindhouzer
People back then also didnt have any radio, T.V, Internet, Newspapers, Phone, Cellphone etc...

True, but that could also mean that rumor was that much more explosive and misleading.
edit on 21-5-2011 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
What if instead of crazy, they were smart?

Maybe they understood the teachings and stories and knew they could use it to their advantage? Joseph Smith suddenly springs to mind. I think people back then would have been more easily swayed that things such as slight of hand were actualy magic and that a lunatics screamings to murder and rape was actualy a prophets message from God.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

It's like they say on Futurama, that when you are "God" and you decide to help someone, you usually do it in a way that whoever your helping doesn't even really know they've been helped! I think for an entity capable of creating the Universe as we know it today could pull off helping us, or pulling the wool over our eyes without even breaking a sweat !!

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by grindhouzer

Originally posted by mossme89
With all the attention and followers this May 21 apocalypse guy is getting, i've started thinking about past prophets.

People were even dumber back then and more eager to follow in the early AD years than they are now, and that's saying something.

Nah, it just made the crazies have a world wide voice.

Now jonah in Indiana can be jesus as long as he has his isp!!

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by CosmosKid

It's like they say on Futurama, that when you are "God" and you decide to help someone, you usually do it in a way that whoever your helping doesn't even really know they've been helped! I think for an entity capable of creating the Universe as we know it today could pull off helping us, or pulling the wool over our eyes without even breaking a sweat !!

They're doing a bang up job of it eh!

What a paradise !! lol

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I don't think they were crazy just really effective manipulators of people. This recent 21st of may nonsense is a good example of how gulible people are and just imagine how gulible they were 2000 years ago ! If you can control people with a story it's a better idea than using an army !!

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
There are certain ways to measure the validity of a prophet. Naturally, you want to see if what they said was true or had or has come true. Another is What circumstances or contexts in which they spoke or prophesied or predicted the future.

Naturally, it will be easy to tell if the prophets of today's May 21 Rapture will be validated... certainly within just a few more hours.

Throughout history, there have been countless prophets...some have been vindicated...some were seen for the charlatans they were or are.

As for the old Biblical prophets, I'm gonna give them the benefit of a dought and here is why:

- Many of them were persecuted and executed, yet maintained their prophecies until death with absolutely nothing to gain.

- If their beliefs and visions were due to insanity or some other disorder, they were pretty specific about their predictions with a great deal of detail that has and is coming to pass even now.

- The prophesies they spoke of ...some have already come to pass, which gives validation to the ones yet to come.

For example, John spoke of Jerusalem being "trod under foot" by the Gentile Armies of the latter days. We aren't too far away from that...Just this week, Obama challenged Netanyahu on the West Bank and Israeli Borders and a Palestinian state...Netanyahu soundly rebuked the idea....I suspect soon we will see "Peace keppers" helping to establish a Palestinain State with jerusalem being a most controversial point.

Another prophesy is ties in with the above news, jerusalem will be like a "millstone tied around the world's neck"...always being of conflict until the end...Jesus, John, and a few others brought this one to light.

Oh, and Ezekiel spoke of the Gog-Magog alliance with Tagomarh and his Bands(Muslim West Asia mini states), Gomer(Turkey), Lybia, Persia(Iran), Ethiopia, Gog(Russia) all coming against israel...that alliance has already been established and is being refined even now... Daniel spoke of it as the King of the South...south being an alliance based on countries across an expanse south of Israel...the Muslim countries.

Ezekiel spoke of their invasion coming "like a cloud out of the skies and from the North" onto the Golan Heights...Israel stands alone...Where is the great ally...the USA...just look at the relations between Obama and Israel...would Obama side with Israel in the event of a strike by the newly liberated Muslim countries which he just pledged to support "whole heartedly?"

There the invaders will be defeated by lightening, hail fire, and brimstone...for the glory of god for all the world to see....and the bodies and remains will be radioactive...noone can touch except a special team, specially clothed, and the bodies flagged as they are discovered... and they will be disposed of down wind from Israel and Jerusalem....

Maybe we should look at the re-establishment of Israel...prophesied by a host of Biblical prophets...Isaiah, Ezekiel, Daniel, John...after almost 2000 years it happened in 1947.

How is it that the prophets even knew that some countries would still be in existance and play a key role in the world of today? Egypt, Lybia, Persia(Iran), Ethiopia, Rome...a re-established Roman Empire..ie The EU.

How did they see the literal symbols that represent the major players in today's world if crazy...for instance...the emergeance of a world power represented by a harlot with 10 stars around her head riding a beast...a horned beast...ever look at the symbol of reunited Europe...Europa on the back of the bull Zeus?...coming out of the waters...John said it...just like the statue in front of the EU pParliment Building in Brussels...this re-emerged empire would be a metaphorical Babylon...Babylon..ie the Tower of babel...just like the Parliment Bldg in brussels...based on a 16th century painting of the same subject...a stylized unfinished tower and all.

How about the most controversial prophecy and one that seems frighteningly near...the Mark of the Beast...Beast being a world/ global political and economic system..."no man or woman or child could buy, sell, or trade without the mork." Will it be RFID chips, an infrared light tatoo, a bar code,..I don't know...but John saw it almost 2000 years ago...quite a coincidence. Pretty specific too...Nostradamus has recieved more praise with less specific predictions... but none as spectacular as that one.

Maybe a global currency...a host of nations is pushing just such an economic policy as the dollar falters...John, Jesus, Daniel all were dead on it.

Perhaps the more generalized topics of corruption in the legal and business fields..."when no justice would go forth" as Habakuk spoke of in the latter days.

Or the idea of "mens hearts failing them" from cosmic events being seen in the skies...maybe a too close approach of a heavenly body, comet, asteroid....

Maybe the decline of Babylon, the emergeance of Medes-Persia, Greece, then Rome, and finally a re-emerged Roman Empire... Danial did so... abot 2500 years ago.

Wecould go on, but what's the point... books have been written with such documentation. Either you will do some research and believe or refute such notions. I suggest we keep a vigilant eye on world events...and let tommorow make up your mind...until then it will be a matter of faith...either in God or science.

I choose God.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

If?

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

With all the attention and followers this May 21 apocalypse guy is getting, i've started thinking about past prophets. Then an idea dawned on me. What if the biblical "prophets" and those of other religions were just crazy? Maybe they were schizophrenic and that's why they heard "Messages from God". I mean just look at how many followers this May 21 guy is getting!

Sure, base all your thinking on the May 21st guy.

People were even dumber back then and more eager to follow in the early AD years than they are now, and that's saying something. Maybe the truth got obscured and over-hyped after years of story telling down from generation to generation.

How would you know people were dumb back then. "Dumb people back then" were pretty accompolished in fields of astronomy, architecture, navigation, math, architecture etc.

As for miracles… well let me just leave you with a clip of Jesus from Family Guy:

Family guy??? seriously?

wow.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n

Family guy??? seriously?

wow.

The only miracle is that there are no miracles;

The sun doesn't magically stop in the sky, people don't just float away from the gravitational pull of the earth, water doesn't turn to wine.

No academic, no historian, no theologian has ever been able to conclusively confirm the temporary suspension of the natural order. Of course we get scientific anomolies, but do scientists rationalise them as magic or miracles?

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/806783f840ec.jpg[/atsimg]

God certainly does help us alot. It's not like we have to actively do anything. He's just pulling the wool over our eyes and doing good things behind the scenes. Sure, the Andromeda Gallaxy is on a collision course with own, but that's just for the greater good or something, death and destruction, y'know?
edit on 21/5/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

In my humble opinion the answer is yes. The whole story of the beatification (sp?) of the last deceased Pope is quite entertaining, good for a laugh even. Moses? Burning bush? Psilocybin?

I wonder how credible I would be if I told everyone I got the 10 commandments 2.0 with virus check free, and a burning tire fire told me all about the future? Oh and my mom gave birth to me even though she has no ovaries.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

I don't think you could put it together any better

SOLID! ! ! !

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Thanks!

Glad you enjoyed the sarcasm
Love futurama too!
edit on 5/6/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Did never any one have thought that maybe it is not the so called prophet that where to judge but the guys behind the books...who put the book together and establish them for the masses? Who decided which book to publish or not?
There is something that we all have to understand, the times and places of biblical events are no more and very different from today.
In short, it is much more difficult today to know the truth as before...you have no other choices; see for the truth inside of you.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join