It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reopening the case file: NASA UFOs

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

No....as any debris that is on orbit with the Shuttle is moving at the same velocity, so if they drift away, they will retain that same speed. No way to accelerate, since they have no propulsion method.

When and if they encounter the atmosphere, the friction will cause them to burn up. Only things that will survive that process somewhat intact are those that have so much mass, that it all can't be consumed.

Depending on the height, the drag from atmosphere will eventually cause their orbit to decay.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I have to hunt....it was recently, this month, another thread...these images were discussed.

Check for posts by Phage, it was he who mentioned it.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Well if that's true that's one object down, And possibly up to a few hundred more to go.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

I did the search, found it:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And, in this thread: NASA High Resolution Image Proof of UFOs/ OVNIS

Sorry.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

OK cool thanks for the direct link to Phages reply with NASAs "approved official public" explanation.

edit on 20-5-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I find these photos very interesting. Clear enough that you can tell that it's something yet not clear enough to tell exactly what it is. Another thing is the idea of debris in space in the earliest part of our space program. That explanation seems a little "suspect" to me.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

While it might be there explantion as to what these interesting objects are, the question is do, we believe them?

Great post slayer S+F

Edit: We all know they just love to lie to us 'sheeple'

edit on 20/5/11 by David291 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

I just hope, lest it be missed, and not thoroughly understood....

....these are still images, not videos yes? (If there are any videos of this object, will be more easy to explain what I describe).

One has to remember how things *move* in a vacuum, and in micro-gravity ("zero-G"). An item like a blanket, a piece of fabric, essentially (multi-layered, of course) will have energies imparted to it, by being moved and manipulated, by the Astronauts. Oscillations, that in an atmosphere will be dampened out by the air, and the friction and mere presence of air. Air has mass, and must use energy, in order to move it, and that energy dampens the motions, the oscillations.

Lacking air, the motions will continue for a very long time...undulating, and usually the object will have a rotational component as well.

For the oscillations, the only thing to cause them to eventually stop will be the friction of the material itself.....the properties of the fabric, its relative stiffness (or lack thereof) and how much energy is needed to flex it. As to the rotation, that can continue for a very long time, because will take an external force to change its behavior.

(See Newton's Laws of Motion..)

edit on Fri 20 May 2011 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I'm pretty easygoing on most of the official explanations, and those from the "skeptics" as well when it comes to this topic. However, having followed SO's thread a while back, and having had a surprising experience of my own. I feel I've had a confirmation of what I already believed about some of this.

I still believe that the vast majority of ufo's and space phenomena can be explained away. But I don't buy into the blanket approach, and the canned answers that all too often are used. The exceptionally small percentage that can't be explained definitively are the ones I believe are black budget projects and prototypes of things we aren't going to know anything about for a very long time.

As I have said before on ATS. In my own field, I happen to know that advancements in technology are decades ahead of what the public knows about. So this says to me, space technology is just as far ahead, if not further, than anything we've thought could be done to this point. And yes, the latter is just my opinion. But it would only make sense from my perspective.

As to these images. Providing they haven't been tampered with. I see some real possibilities that we are witnessing some of our tax dollars at work. But it would be a lot more fun to witness it from the inside of that craft.

A good idea Slayer. I hadn't even thought of these for a while. S&F&

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by RUSSO

That image is a thermal blanket that floated loose, from the Shuttle.

It's not a "craft", not a space ship.

A blanket.

This one:

edit on Fri 20 May 2011 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

Ok weedwhacker, I already know you opinion about these things. Every time

May I think you are wrong? May I? Please?

With all respect, I disagre with you, ok?

Thanks

I will quote Zorgon on this one:

Phage quotes the 'official' NASA version and that makes it gospel?

Some conspiracy site THIS is becoming

edit on 20-5-2011 by RUSSO because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

Yet, it is lost on you (apparently) that these very pictures are freely shared by NASA??

Let that sink in......

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by RUSSO

Yet, it is lost on you (apparently) that these very pictures are freely shared by NASA??

Let that sink in......

Not just this one. Nasa is not so perfect as you (apparently) believe their are.

ADD> What I wonder is if it is leaked on purpose or not. Anyways, there will always be an answer on the tip of the tongue of those who defends the agency.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I don't know much about these things but, isn't a thermal blankets needed for re-entry?
I always thought they were, could someone correct me please?

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
A lot of these have to be satellites. But the most intriguing are the older ones, when there wasn't as nearly as much satellites in orbit as after the 60s.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a blanket

IMO, some is space debris but I feel most is just high tech toys we are testing out.

interesting nonetheless

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Over the years, many of the tiles have been replaced by a material known as Flexible Reusable Surface Insulation, or FRSI, and Advanced Flexible Reusable Surface Insulation, or AFRSI. FRSI and AFRSI are lighter and less expensive than the conventional tiles and using them has enabled the Shuttle to lift heavier payloads to orbit. FRSI and AFRSI cover areas of the Shuttle Orbiter that do not exceed 700 degrees Fahrenheit (370 degrees Celsius) during entry or 750 degrees Fahrenheit (400 degrees Celsius) during ascent. This includes the fuselage sides and top, the payload bay doors, the tops of the wings, and the Orbiter Maneuvering System (OMS) pods near the tail. The FRSI/AFRSI is soft and is sometimes referred to as a “thermal blanket.”
From this essay.

Okay... this "thermal blanket" sure seems important, and I highly doubt it had just fallen off a billion dollar piece of equipment.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I don't know what to believe, if the real thing were to fly down and talk to us tomorrow; we wouldn't believe it anyway so.......that's it on that one.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Here is some information on the UVC, used also on the STS-75 Mission

On STS-75 Experiment Growing Ice Crystals in Space to see what forms they produce. Why would they need to grow Ice Crystals inside the craft if they were all over the place outsitde????

Crystal Growth and Solidification

Two SSL instruments, the Ultraviolet Imager (UVI) and the

Although the tether broke (at 19.7 km) near
full deployment, as is often the case in science, the unexpected
provided the greatest excitement and scientific return.

Tether video without the UV Camera

video description:
STS 75 "Tether incident" filmed in the close ultra violet spectrum by a bay-
You can tell when they use the UV camera because it will have a deep blue or deep purple tint to it.

www.astro.virginia.edu...

ares.jsc.nasa.gov...

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

"leaked"???

No, these are typical of the many, many photos that are released, form many missions.

You just cannot grasp the fact that it's got a perfectly reasonable explanation? You actually cannot understand that IF there were something *secret* then it would never, ever be available for public scrutiny??

People are funny, when they want to "believe" so strongly, they will grasp at any straws they can....

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by David291

No....this isn't something as part of the space shuttle's exterior.....don't confuse the term "thermal blanket" with the thermal tiles and other components on the outside, and affixed to the space craft.

This was something from inside the cargo bay..."thermal" in the sense of an insulation material. Not something to protect the vehicle on entry in atmosphere.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join