It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: 'There is no heaven; it's a fairy story'

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Unown

Do you remember a "pre-life" to this one you are having now? No, you don't, because there wasn't one. After life is the same thing.

Life isn't complicated. It's brutally simple. You are born, you live, you die. Nothing for you before, nothing for you after. It's all now.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Unown

Do you remember a "pre-life" to this one you are having now? No, you don't, because there wasn't one. After life is the same thing.

Life isn't complicated. It's brutally simple. You are born, you live, you die. Nothing for you before, nothing for you after. It's all now.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by ker2010

Originally posted by Cryptonomicon
reply to post by onequestion

Do you remember what life, the world, and universe were like before you were born?

That's exactly what death's like. Don't worry,we've all been there before, we're all going there again. Have a good time while you're here, because there is nothing after this.

Nothing, what-so-ever.

Do you remember what you were doing may 3rd your first year of birth? Nope, but you existed.

And if the after life were like that may 3rd of your first year of birth, something you can't remember or even conceptualize, you call that an after life? It's the same as nothing.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by spacedonk

Why is there no heavens? Is it because science says there is no heaven or because it hasn't discovered anything relating to heaven? Either way, if you haven't mapped everything in the universe or found every secret the galaxies hold how can you make such a hasty assumption?

Once we begin to understand the universe around us and once we find all the history and the world surrounding us than we can make a scientific assumption that there in fact is no heaven.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by ker2010

reply to post by onequestion

Do you remember what life, the world, and universe were like before you were born?

That's exactly what death's like. Don't worry,we've all been there before, we're all going there again. Have a good time while you're here, because there is nothing after this.

Nothing, what-so-ever.

Do you remember what you were doing may 3rd your first year of birth? Nope, but you existed.

And if the after life were like that may 3rd of your first year of birth, something you can't remember or even conceptualize, you call that an after life? It's the same as nothing.

Nope but a lot of people believe in reincarnation, memory of prior lifes are not meant to happen even though their is some verified cases of it happening..

Anyways my ego doesn't get in the way of me saying I do not 100% know how the universe was formed or what happens after we die. Can you admit the same?
edit on 16-5-2011 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Cryptonomicon

In spite of this being true, you seem like a depressed and troubled person, taking your anger out on the religious. Besides, I was talking about your feeling about no Gods existing, not your view on life/death.

But then again, you seem to think:
God = Afterlife
Probably because you're used to belittling Christians, like you did in your other post.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by LikeDuhObviously
reply to post by space cadet

There is no proof that a creator didn't begin this universe

It is your claim .. prove it.

We can prove that this universe does not need a creator. Why would you insert something not needed and unprovable ? That is not how science piggy backed all humans to where we are today.

As soon as someone shows we even need a creator the argument will be taken serious.

No, science CANNOT prove that this universe did not need a creator. That's just an ad hoc, working assumption that it needs to make in order to distinguish it from religion, not a scientifically established fact.

If you want to see evidence of transcendental intelligence so convincing that it amounts to proof of a creator, spend the next six months studying the amazing, pioneering research at:
smphillips.8m.com...
The mathematical connection between religion and science has been discovered. Rigorous mathematical evidence for God is now available to be studied. So you no longer have the excuse for not taking the argument for God seriously. The question is: are you up to the challenging task of mastering the proof to be found at this website?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I don't agree with him.
He is one on the extreme end of science, where, they cannot accept anything that can't be seen ,measured or theorized with our three dimensional mathematics.

To be honest, he's being narrow minded, just like the scientists of old until something new is discovered and it opens up another realm of probabilities.

Science openly talks of multi-dimensional universes, quantum physics where particles pop in and out of existence. Entanglement which defies our current understanding of space and time. All of this has just been observed in science, so to me, another dimension of existence after death is not something too far of the realms of probability.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I'm sorry but while he may be a great scientist it does NOT mean he knows everything. It would quite absurd to say that he does. That being said, how does he know this?

David.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by spurge

To be honest, he's being narrow minded, just like the scientists of old until something new is discovered and it opens up another realm of probabilities.

Science openly talks of multi-dimensional universes, quantum physics where particles pop in and out of existence. Entanglement which defies our current understanding of space and time. All of this has just been observed in science, so to me, another dimension of existence after death is not something too far of the realms of probability.

Really you would class Hawking as narrow minded!?! Surely he is one of the Earth's greatest 'outside of the box' thinkers?!?

PS: the other dimension of existence when you die is called decomposition!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Come on, truely, what does Steven Hawkins knowabout it? He is necessarely guessing, and his guess is as good as everybody elses.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Yes, that maybe so but I'm sorry sunshine...he still doesn't know everything

reply to post by CarlitosAmsel

Exactly, what does he know about what is on the other side of death? I don't think anyone as lived to tell the tale

edit on 16/5/11 by David291 because: (no reason given)

edit on 16/5/11 by David291 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I agree with hawkings, there is zero room for a god in this universe.

The universe is not sunshine and rainbows, you don't go to any pretty place, you don't know what happens, BUT I DO KNOW that people like to lie and stories about god suck.

The very fact that people claim heaven/hell to be real makes me disbelieve it, it's clearly a fairy story for the people afraid of death.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by David291

Are you ignorant?

He is stating his guess, just like we are on this website, people just take what he said and put it on the news.

Who are YOU to tell anybody your view on life if a person like HIM can't? He has been almost dead for decades now, IF ANYBODY SHOULD BE BELIEVING IN GOD, BY NOW ITS HIM, but he does not because he clearly sees it to be the control mechanism that it is.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedonk

I think he's right, we are biological not spiritual entities. Bet there will be a lottttt of people that disagree with him though.

In the interview, Hawking rejected the notion of life beyond death and emphasised the need to fulfil our potential on Earth by making good use of our lives. In answer to a question on how we should live, he said, simply: "We should seek the greatest value of our action."

In answering another, he wrote of the beauty of science, such as the exquisite double helix of DNA in biology, or the fundamental equations of physics.

Hawking responded to questions posed by the Guardian and a reader in advance of a lecture tomorrow at the Google Zeitgeist meeting in London, in which he will address the question: "Why are we here?"

In the talk, he will argue that tiny quantum fluctuations in the very early universe became the seeds from which galaxies, stars, and ultimately human life emerged. "Science predicts that many different kinds of universe will be spontaneously created out of nothing. It is a matter of chance which we are in," he said.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

Something out of nothing!? So called BIG BANG theory

Nothing can not exist! It is impossible! There was always something!

Pure logic!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
"eutopian" As coined by "Saturn FX"

Ummm.........EUtopian...of or relating to a perfected society, as expressed by the obvious.....enlightened, European idealism.......

I believe that you've hit that proverbial nail on it's Freudian head........hence the use of the disprovable by one of that societies "shining stars"........a living apotheotic negativism........no wonders mate...

YouSir
edit on 16-5-2011 by YouSir because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   

I think he's right, we are biological not spiritual entities. Bet there will be a lottttt of people that disagree with him though.
We are biological entities with spiritual cores. And it has NOTHING to do with religion except life after death (a "spirit"). Quite frankly I'm shocked Mr Hawking's would be so quick to denounce the possibility of a soul, and to mix it with the "fairy TALES" of religion is insulting.

“A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.” ~ Albert Einstein

edit on 16-5-2011 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Heaven is a good living memory of God`s or the Universe database. Hell is a bad experience/memory of the same database.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
But can he prove it? Of course not. With theories like the Multiverse and parallel universes who's to say that there is no heaven? What if heaven is another planet, perhaps the planet that our "creators" come from? None of it can ever be proven unless motherships start appearing over major cities and they tell us the truth about our origins.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jrocbaby
I agree with hawkings, there is zero room for a god in this universe.

The universe is not sunshine and rainbows, you don't go to any pretty place, you don't know what happens, BUT I DO KNOW that people like to lie and stories about god suck.

The very fact that people claim heaven/hell to be real makes me disbelieve it, it's clearly a fairy story for the people afraid of death.

I am not religious and do not believe in God, but to say there is no place for a God in this world is totally wrong IMHO. I think the notion of a God is a wonderful thing for those that want to hold faith in something as an explanation for existence or for whatever other reason. Being utterly atheist/agnostic myself it can be quite lonely only having faith in the scientific community that says we will expire at the point of our bodies dying. Faith must be a wonderful thing and plays an important role in peoples lives, to say otherwise is to fail to understand your fellow man I think.

I did not post this thread to be a dick or to start religious arguments, I did so because I thought it was interesting that a man in the latter years of his life who has lived with a crippling disease for most of it who happens to be one of the pre-eminent scientists in the world had expanded some of his previously hinted at ideas and clarified and classified them in no uncertain terms. If i was stephen hawking I think I would be naturally averse to believing in God because of the hand life dealt me, for him it also would conflict utterly his belief system which is constructed on what he sees as proof and proofs from the natural world.

To David above: of course his is just one theory, but because of who he is and how he quantifies his opinions it gives it a little more weight IMHO. But essentially your right he doesnt actually know # about this topic cos he has never walked the walk (death).

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join