It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: 'There is no heaven; it's a fairy story'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

There is no proof that a creator didn't begin this universe

It is your claim .. prove it.

We can prove that this universe does not need a creator. Why would you insert something not needed and unprovable ? That is not how science piggy backed all humans to where we are today.

As soon as someone shows we even need a creator the argument will be taken serious.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by spacedonk

Dear spacedonk,

Is the same guy that believes in dozens of alternate universes? The same quack? And by the way, that is how he concluded that there did not need to be a God, because we can explain this universe by accepting that are dozens of supernatural (don't follow the physics of this world) universes. Oh, and he stold that idea from others. Try Dr. Kaku at least he is honest and doesn't steal or pretend that others ideas are from him.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Bio-computers arising by chance into a self-producing universe, for me, takes just as much faith, if not more, than belief in a creator OF SOME KIND. While "heaven" is certainly debatable, I think "re-occurrence" would not be improbable.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by gemineye

There's probably very few people in the world who know as much about our universe as he does. If anyone is qualified to say so, it's him.

Besides, it doesn't take a theoretical physicist to see how the concept of an afterlife is both a control mechanism and a defense mechanism.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by LikeDuhObviously
[more
Prove that we don't need a creator. That still doesn't prove that there wasn't one, or isn't one. There really isn't any way to prove that there is not a creator.

It is like at a hospital, when a loved one is in the hands of a surgeon. There are many many surgeons, most very skilled at their specialties. But it is not a calling for just everyone. Something guides them to do what they do. Whether they individually believe in God or not, it could just be God that gives them the ability and desire to learn and do what they do. Obviously not everyone can do it.

This is why I would pray to God to give a surgeon the endurance and knowledge to perform their best during an operation of a loved one. Not that they couldn't do it without me praying, but hey, it does not hurt to do so.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Well Steve

I agree that such stuff makes no logical sense.
And had I not experienced my own "ghosts", I would probably not even give it a consideration. Sucks when the strangeness of the universe interferes with your rational understanding of it.

So, I am on the fense

However, since he made a positive statement, I am sure he has some proof to back up his claim.
edit on 16-5-2011 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeandShadow
Bio-computers arising by chance into a self-producing universe, for me, takes just as much faith, if not more, than belief in a creator OF SOME KIND. While "heaven" is certainly debatable, I think "re-occurrence" would not be improbable.

You are talking about abiogenesis here ?
Steven Hawking is a physicist & cosmologist not a biologist.

Did you even try to read the article ?
Because a lot of people seem to not understand the different between biology and cosmology.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Why is there always that one person who has to flame?? Seriously there's no reason to point out unwinnable debates, just stick to the topic and dont attack to make yourself feel better, okay?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

His "positive" statement is not a positive .. he is not assuming there is something .. he is saying there is not.
We have no reason to think there is .. there is nothing showing the claim of an afterlife as true.

Are you being serous ?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Hawking lost alot of my respect when he said “If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn’t turn out very well for the Native Americans.”

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Stephen Hawking is about to die I think. IMO this is why he says this. Actually science already tapped a part of the next level by measuring the light you body gives off. Not spiritual aye? If anyone of us was to take a picture in uv light guess what shows up at the top of you head.... A spiral. You guys be the judge but also do extensive research for we are in our universal stage of consciousness.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Nobama

Stick to the topic ?
All I did was point out the topic was cosmology and not biology !

Yup I am the one that needs to stick on topic. lol

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
well unfortunately hawking never got to witness a soul leaving an animal at its last breath, its quite an awe inspiring event, it forces you to except the possibilities.
whether it was re-incarnation or the animal naturally possessed it independently this i cannot say, but from it came a gently lifting Vail of breathtaking energy that disappeared into the heavens above as myself and others watched in awe and shock. could of been an alien life form for all i know, but it was cool

edit on 16-5-2011 by anumohi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by LikeDuhObviously
reply to post by SaturnFX

His "positive" statement is not a positive .. he is not assuming there is something .. he is saying there is not.
We have no reason to think there is .. there is nothing showing the claim of an afterlife as true.

Are you being serous ?

Yes, that is a positive statement...a statement that there is knowledge of something, that something is that he knows there is no afterlife.

not positive in the feel good sense, positive in the addition of knowledge...he knows a truth, he has a proof.

the wording can get confusing...basically, if you claim a positive (a belief), then you should show the proof for that claim...if you claim a negative (non-belief), your fine.

There is no evidence of an afterlife = a negative statement requiring no proof...
There is no afterlife = a positive statement requiring proof to back your claim up.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
So we might wanna delete a good portion of ATS speaking about out of body experience.
To believe this fool you have to believe he have perfect knowledge or awareness or unagy.
In fact his theory could be proven wrong easily by remote viewer, i think. Theres interesting case here on ATS
but using a rubbish browser i cant acces search feature, so sorry for references.
Honestly, like someone mentioned. He takes his scientific ethic by saying this.
You all know how scientists thinks about spirituality?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Maybe you should check and see if you have any of these features, you seem like one to me....

Is this you?

Reason I say this is because you were the first person to go off track and single out a person just to say there's no God blah blah, all it does is creates a unneeded back and forth debate, so dude leave it at that okay?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
The fact remains that nobody know for sure what the F happen when we die.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by the_0bserver85

We Decay

Nobody knows for sure if all we are is a physical form.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by anumohi

I experienced this at the death of my sister. It was observed by 6 people, we were stunned at what we witnessed.

Stephen Hawking is a dying man. He has stated quite a lot in the last couple of years that folks should take with a grain of salt, such as the alien statements. He was generalizing IMO, based on the simple thought that it is impossible that there is NOT alien life out there. Without any college at all one can figure this out. I am thinking that he is bitter, and rejects the notion of a God, because it doesn't compute to him scientifically. Without proof he cannot believe. That is what faith is all about. You don't need proof, you know it without proof.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by the_0bserver85

this is very true, but i have a pretty good idea that you will know for a fact when it happens to you

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join