It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

German court convicts former Nazi death camp guard

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

German court convicts former Nazi death camp guard

en.rian.ru

A Munich court on Thursday found Ukraine-born Ivan (John) Demjanjuk guilty of helping to kill Jews at a Nazi extermination camp and convicted him to five years in prison. According to German prosecutors, Demjanjuk was involved in the murders of at least 27,900 Jews at the death camp between March and September 1943.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Well i wonder what all the holocaust deniers will say now. A German court has convicted 91-year-old John Demjanjuk as an accessory to the murders of Jews at a concentration camp in Nazi-occupied Poland. The trial has lasted for 18 months;
Demjanjuk declined to address the court Thursday before the verdict was handed down, German press reports said (i wonder why). And He did not speak once during the trial.
This guy should be put to death.

en.rian.ru
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I think it's kind of despicable to go after the guy when he is that old... if you were going to go after him, you should have done it many years ago. And yet, there are worst criminals still committing crimes that nobody does a damn thing about.

S&F

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
LOL!!!
He will most likely die of natural causes before he gets into prison.
Yet alone serving 5 years,...
5 years?
What kind of a sentance is that?
What an absolute waste of resources.
The man was most likely just a low end grunt besides.
Sad state of affairs.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
It is what has come to be the 'rule' for those involved in the limelight..... theater.

Rest assured, insofar as "justice" is concerned, this will be discounted as meaningless.

Except to those few who remain as living memory of the horrors of that time, this must be bittersweet; the man got to live a full and consequence-free life.... this seems a bit too little .. and way too late.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by JoeDaShom

27000 people? are you kidding me?
doesnt matter how old he is, he should be punished and die slowly.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by CountDrac
reply to post by JoeDaShom

27000 people? are you kidding me?
doesnt matter how old he is, he should be punished and die slowly.

I'm not saying that, he's going to be gone soon either way man. Why go after him when he's about to die anyway? Why go after him and spend valuable resources on it. If he truly did something absolutely deplorable, he will meet his maker soon and will had to stand before God. I'm not saying what he did was alright, just pointing that out there.
edit on 12-5-2011 by JoeDaShom because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by CountDrac

Well i wonder what all the holocaust deniers will say now.

It depends what country they are in.

In some countries it is illegal to question the holocaust.

Questioning = Holocaust denial. Holocaust denial = illegal.

Talking about other holocausts? 'Trivializing the Holocaust" = illegal.

Americans are lucky when it comes to their freedom to question things.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Kind of redundant to go after him when he's about to croak

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Iam a German, first i have to excuse the horrible things that the Nazis have done. It was a sick time.
But i have to say that its the past...Germany changed a lot..we aint no got Nazis no more..just a few Neo Nazi..some wired brainwashed People..who aint got no love in their Childhood i think.. : /

Peace
!

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
It is what has come to be the 'rule' for those involved in the limelight..... theater.

Rest assured, insofar as "justice" is concerned, this will be discounted as meaningless.

Except to those few who remain as living memory of the horrors of that time, this must be bittersweet; the man got to live a full and consequence-free life.... this seems a bit too little .. and way too late.

The simple fact they didnt stop until they found him though tells me it is important. 60 years after the fact and people are still being located, charged and getting their day in court.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Lucky indeed.
I am no denier, I realize alot of folks died during the war, not just the jews.
I just have some questions of the several major inconsitencies in the OS.
But even here in America, if you question there are a million that come out and blindly spew hate.
On the brighter side all involved are almost all dead and we can put this chapter behind and get to living.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
From the BBC:

He was a soldier in the Red Army in 1942 when he was captured by the Germans. Prosecutors had argued he was recruited by the Germans to be an SS camp guard and that by working at a death camp he was a participant in the killings. No evidence was produced that he committed a specific crime.

I'm guessing this is why his sentence was so short, very little evidence linking him to the crimes (though they seem certain it is him who served at the camp)

It's also important to note that although the Israelis originally sentenced him to death for another crime at another camp the trial was thrown out because it turned out it was another man named Ivan who they should have been looking for, it seems there must have been quite a few of these guards who escaped punishment.

If he truly was a guard at the camp I think it's fair to say justice has been served, he's going to have to live the last few months/years of his life knowing that he will be remembered as a man who was involved in one way or another with the murders of many thousands of innocent people.

edit on 12-5-2011 by lifeissacred because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoeDaShom
I think it's kind of despicable to go after the guy when he is that old... if you were going to go after him, you should have done it many years ago. And yet, there are worst criminals still committing crimes that nobody does a damn thing about.

S&F

Not at all, it sends a message to all would be despots, you can run, you can grow old... but you can't hide from the long arm of justice, it can and it WILL reach out and grab you.

Personally, I'd have hung him.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Why didn't the United States send in the Navy Seals to shoot him?

In a way I don't think this man should go to prison, because he is so old.

Any prison sentence is nothing compared to what he has had to live with in his own mind all these years.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
People being so vicious and baying for the blood of this miserable old man.

Die, die, die.

At the end of the day how does that make us any better than the Nazis?

An eye for an eye.....

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
People being so vicious and baying for the blood of this miserable old man.

Die, die, die.

At the end of the day how does that make us any better than the Nazis?

An eye for an eye.....

How does that make us better than the nazis? Because we didn't kill millions of people trying to get to him. I find it slightly disturbing that you capitalised the "N."

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by PW229

I was expecting a reply like that to be honest.

Open any book on Nazism or the Third Reich and you'll see "Nazi" with a capital "N."

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

An eye for an eye? Are you promoting anarchy?
We live in a society that when someone commits a crime he gets punished. By your statement we should let all the people in jail free.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
There is no statute of limitations on murder. He should receive the same treatment he meted out to the Jews.

Germany has a long way to go to get rid if this Nazi Karma, jUst as the US has a terrible Karmic debt building up from the middle East that will be paid one way or another

You reap what you sow! And lying and apologizing for violence and murder does not exempt you from the universal truth.

There is no honor in "I was just following orders"
edit on 12-5-2011 by whaaa because: code blue

top topics

<<   2 >>

join