It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FEMA To Confiscate Food From Local Farms In Emergencies?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

So you would let victims starve while you sit on top of a large supply of food nearby? You would punish innocent victims because you have an issue with the government helping disaster victims survive? You do know that FEMA compensates those they obtain their supplies from?

Granted they are often too slow about the compensation and that is an issue that needs to be fixed.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

That all depends on the Size of the grocery store, the size of the town and the number of grocery stores in that community. If its a small town grocery store then yes, only a weeks supply but if there are 6 SuperCenter Walmarts in a small town, there is probably more than just a weeks worth of supplies left. Especially if the government was to take it and ration it out, i'm fairly certain it would last longer than a week.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Government created agencies, just doing what government created agencies do, steal from the people. If they need food, they will just take it from you it doesn't matter if you have enough to feed your own family. The government needs to pay its bills? No problem they'll just take some money from you, it doesn't matter if you can pay your own bills or not. It's all about them looking good.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
reply to post by Skewed

So you would let victims starve while you sit on top of a large supply of food nearby? You would punish innocent victims because you have an issue with the government helping disaster victims survive? You do know that FEMA compensates those they obtain their supplies from?

Granted they are often too slow about the compensation and that is an issue that needs to be fixed.

Please reread my posts, where did I say I would be sitting on a large food supply? I thought I said I would be more than willing to give food away, after I got what I needed. In a time of crises, especially longterm, compensation is not a motivating factor for me, I could care less about the money. What is wrong with me giving the food away versus FEMA, at least if I gave it away, I would know who it went to and to someone who really needed it.

edit on 11-5-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

I am sure that a food stortage is coming, and is in order. In keeping with the times,
of course and its just a matter of time before the next disaster strikes close to home.

Yet, somehow I dont think this is quite all it appears to be.

Consider this story, yet to be told here on ATS of a rather ordinary encountering the most
unnerving run in with FEMA.

The longtime guitarist for Death Cab For Cutie and producer for the indie elite (including the likes of Tegan And Sara, The Decemberists, and yes, Death Cab) recently found himself in the midst of a sudden and surprising cyclone of controversy. All of which, at least initially, seemed to stem from the lyrical content of his debut solo effort, Field Manual (Barsuk).

Classic -

That’s because late last year, while crossing the Canadian border in the hands of a Vancouver recording studio employee en route to Walla, a hard drive containing *Field Manual files was seized and subsequently detained by U.S. Customs agents. In the end, it wasn’t the contents of the record or even the hard drive itself that caused it to be detained (Homeland Security says the drive was commercial, not personal, property and entered the U.S. through an improper port without paperwork). Yet that didn’t stop rampant speculation that the government was attempting to censor Walla’s solo effort. “There was no way that anybody could possibly have known what was on this record,” Walla says assuringly. “That’s patently impossible.”

And the real reason this private property was seized?

Still, conspiracy theorists had ample reason to suspect The Powers That Be might want to silence Walla, or, more specifically, what he says on Field Manual. The record takes issue with the likes of FEMA’s Hurricane Katrina failure (“Everyone Needs A Home”), illinoisentertainer.com...

So much for free speech.

edit on 11-5-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
i like how the word ' confiscate ' is used rather than stealing. sad.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

In any stype of situation that devolves to the point of a near breakdown in society, measures are in place to ensure the survival of large groups of people, and not just one person who is sitting on 50 tons of food.

One person sitting on 50 tons of food is not the story here. This is FEMA actually keeping track of
local farms producitons, and locations. Well I wonder did you watch the video?

The farmer was very clear...local food is food safety. FEMA did not deliver, and i doubt it ever would ,
even equipped with all of the power of local farms.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

I will answer your question for you...
Because you have an IQ higher than
room temperature!You are aware of
what's happening and knowledge is
a powerful tool.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

Mamabeth, why thank you for bringing some sanity to the conversation.
Even CNN found FEMA an epic failure.

FEMA and KATRINA - A National Failure:

CNN
edit on 11-5-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
That's f'ing bull stool. This is the type of thing that boils my blood: Dirty government agency need to lay their hands off what isn't theirs. This is the same crap of law that allows the state to bulldoze your property for the "greater good" which usually means giving a contract to private companies to build large stadiums and mall complexes. Forgot the name of the law but it was originally implemented for "roads, schools and other important infrastructures, and eventually morphed into "that land is valuable, and if I get lobbied hard enough I'll push for the clause in legal means".

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by dwmjr1985

You will never find more large stores in a town than the population justifies. If they do overbuild, the business goes bankrupt in short order. The available supplies match the population and supply and demand are self regulating.

You will find the store shelves in large or small communities contain around a three day supply of perishables and foodstuffs. The community might make it a week before it becomes a problem, but much more than that and the food simply runs out.

When an emergency occurs, people panic and strip the store shelves bare in a couple of days. Some get more than their share and others get none.

Our food supplies are mostly stored in large distribution centers or on the farms themselves. Those who produce canned or bottled goods, produce just enough to supply the stores when needed. We adopted the Japanese model of just in time production and distribution a couple of decades ago.

That is the number one reason it's important that everyone have at least some food storage. In fact it's incredibly foolish not to have at least a few weeks food supply on hand at all times.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
What is wrong with me giving the food away versus FEMA, at least if I gave it away, I would know who it went to and to someone who really needed it.

edit on 11-5-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

Nothing, but how would you transport it and distribute it? FEMA can, you cannot. Unless of course you have helicopters, cargo aircraft and teams of trained First Responders in your back forty?

As to who it goes to, this is about major disasters and it seems what you are saying is that you would only help your own and you would be unwilling to help others who are suffering? Do you think the First Responders would risk their lives to help people who don't need any help? I'm not sure I get you on that one?

I get your point, but I'll bet if and when it is necessary that most Farmers willingly cooperate. I also believe if you were the victim, your point of view would change dramatically. FEMA does not deal with emergencies that can be handled locally and if everyone had the point of view you express, lots of innocent victims would suffer needlessly.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
If was a farmer there I'd burn my entire crop before ever let the thugs at FEMA take it.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
let em try and take my produce, they can meet my friend Remington. The crops I grow provide my family food. I paid for it, time and money no one is just going to take it.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Your forgetting the fact that a town might have over sized grocery stores to attract people in even smaller towns, even those these smaller towns still have their own small grocery stores that have adequate food. They don't just build super walmarts in large cities, they also build them in small towns. They over size them so that they can attract even more people from outside the "local" area. Walmarts tend to carry far more food than they need. They can far exceed the amount of food than is necessary for that local area because walmart doesn't loose any money off of over stocking and food going bad. The only thing they loose is the possibility of a little bit of profit. This makes it better to be Overstocked.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555So you would let victims starve while you sit on top of a large supply of food nearby?

Wow - I have both crops and dairy and the answer to that is...yes. I would sell my milk and sell my beans but no one will be confiscating anything be it foodstuffs or livestock. I chose to live this lifestyle for a reason - my own guarantee of survival, not so the consumers who live in the city and do nothing to help themselves prepare can take it so we can all struggle equally.

All I have to say is read the grasshopper and the ant. I am the ant and other people are the grasshoppers. The only tragedy is that the government (let’s call them the Humans) can come in and because they feel sorry for the grasshoppers who if left to their own devices would starve force the ants to also starve equally...

This is a great way to solve a problem.

Originally posted by Blaine91555You would punish innocent victims because you have an issue with the government helping disaster victims survive?

Yes, I would; further, if they show up to steal my stuff they had better bring a lot of body bags for themselves. First word about confiscate and after I shoot the first one to touch a cow or fire up a combine I don't think they'll have too many more volunteers.

Then while they get their crap together - I'll burn the fields myself and start killing the cattle. I may in the end die or go to jail but no way am I going to be a bystander to theft of 3 years worth of my food and supplies so that we can string along the massess in the city for three more weeks... Screw that nonsense - you don't have a plan; you die! Pretty simple. I am prepared for that.

Originally posted by Blaine91555You do know that FEMA compensates those they obtain their supplies from?

I want nothing from FEMA - they are entitled to nothing from me. I’ll take care of my family and likely a good many more around me by using a barter system and fair trade. I don’t expect an evacuation or rescue – I won’t comply anyway; I will stay with my animals and home to take care of the problem best I can with my neighbors. FEMA can do whatever they want in the city – I don’t live there anymore. Feed them each other for all I care.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Its estimated, under jospeh stalin, communist russia, 50 million starved to death. the governemnt hier, would allow its army to confiscate the wheat, food ect so they could eat . A common sotry from that time, i once saw in a documentary...a husband n wife, one day, were at home. a person came over, adn asked where thier boy was. the father answered, he's right here, on the mantle...they had resorted to cannibalism, and ate thier kid, and left some of his remains, in a jar. thats how bad the russian army raped its own people under communism.
suposed to be a true story* to date, joseph stalin is te worlds wrost mass murder to date* has the record rather. To me, it seems, FEMA is dong something similar. confiscate the food, so everyone else around me starves to eath, so they themselvesd, meer humans like you and me, can live. how screwed up a deal is that! in america, yuor suposed ot have the right of private property* so no one can take yuor stuff! thast the seperation of our democracy and communism. under socialsim, after WWII, in gemany, thier bill of rights, states the government can take public land..but for the good of the commonwealth* FEMA seems to be acting desperate over something...wonder what they know is coming our way...yuor land means yuor land and whats on it* thier curbing it, so they can strip it away from you. its illegal and wrong.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Golf66

Originally posted by Blaine91555So you would let victims starve while you sit on top of a large supply of food nearby?

Wow - I have both crops and dairy and the answer to that is...yes. I would sell my milk and sell my beans but no one will be confiscating anything be it foodstuffs or livestock. I chose to live this lifestyle for a reason - my own guarantee of survival, not so the consumers who live in the city and do nothing to help themselves prepare can take it so we can all struggle equally.

All I have to say is read the grasshopper and the ant. I am the ant and other people are the grasshoppers. The only tragedy is that the government (let’s call them the Humans) can come in and because they feel sorry for the grasshoppers who if left to their own devices would starve force the ants to also starve equally...

This is a great way to solve a problem.

Originally posted by Blaine91555You would punish innocent victims because you have an issue with the government helping disaster victims survive?

Yes, I would; further, if they show up to steal my stuff they had better bring a lot of body bags for themselves. First word about confiscate and after I shoot the first one to touch a cow or fire up a combine I don't think they'll have too many more volunteers.

Then while they get their crap together - I'll burn the fields myself and start killing the cattle. I may in the end die or go to jail but no way am I going to be a bystander to theft of 3 years worth of my food and supplies so that we can string along the massess in the city for three more weeks... Screw that nonsense - you don't have a plan; you die! Pretty simple. I am prepared for that.

Originally posted by Blaine91555You do know that FEMA compensates those they obtain their supplies from?

I want nothing from FEMA - they are entitled to nothing from me. I’ll take care of my family and likely a good many more around me by using a barter system and fair trade. I don’t expect an evacuation or rescue – I won’t comply anyway; I will stay with my animals and home to take care of the problem best I can with my neighbors. FEMA can do whatever they want in the city – I don’t live there anymore. Feed them each other for all I care.

Amen to that brother. Glad to see someone else share the same point of view.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

It is not the form of government that is to blame. Its the people in charge that is to blame. In communist Russia it was much easier for the elite oligarchs to take power and screw the poor and middle class, even though they had just came from a system where they where being screwed by... you guest it Elite Royal Oligarchs. It was a new face, on the same old problem. Even if you have an absolute free market capitalist system, you can still end up having an oligarchy in control that will screw you over and take advantage of the system if you'r not careful. We have not been careful with our Republic and now we are suffering the consequences. On a side note, are you a fan of George Orwell?
edit on 12-5-2011 by dwmjr1985 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-5-2011 by dwmjr1985 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
This makes sense on some levels but is very alarming on other levels, as all of you well know.

Why does this remind me so much of Jericho...that show that was on a few years ago? Remember when they all started hoarding food? Black market. Murder. Bartering. The town pooled all their food and doled it out to prevent it locally and then had to deal with non-locals swooping in. Guess it's something that has to be done to prevent the worst of what might happen to society, whether it's done locally or on the federal level

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join