It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sick Fish In Gulf Alarming Scientists

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+29 more 
posted on May, 8 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Today's Pensacola News Journal ran a story about the alarming number of fish showing problems.
"Scientists are alarmed by the discovery of unusual numbers of fish in the Gulf of Mexico and inland waterways with skin lesions, fin rot, abnormal spots, liver blood clots and other health problems.". The environmental adviser for the City of Gulf Breeze was quoted as saying ""I've been testing different organs in game fish that have been brought to me, and I'm seeing petroleum hydrocarbons in the organs," ..."I was shocked when I saw it."
Those of us on ATS who have been following this all along knew that the sea life would show the effects of the oil and the Corexit, no matter what the government said about the health and safety of the sea life.I live in Pensacola, and I have steadfastly refused to eat any Gulf seafood since the spill and tell anyone I can not to eat Gulf seafood. Finally it is on the local paper. I wonder how long before this too is silenced?
www.pnj.com...
PS-My very first thread ! Be kind....

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Yeah I'm over in Mobile. I'm pretty sure everyone saw that coming. You can't expect things to go wrong with organisms whose ecosystem is/was extremely polluted. It'd be like our air being polluted by radiation...oh, it already is
that sucks.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I have to say I saw it coming. It is so sad, I will not eat seafood just because of the Gulf & Japan. People will get sick for eating these fish.
Thanks for the info

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

“All those symptoms have been seen naturally before, but it’s a matter of them all coming at once that we’re concerned about.”

So what are the unique factors involved as cause? The spill is the biggest influence, no?

And he sees troubling signs consistent with oil exposure: fish with lesions, external parasites, odd pigmentation patterns, and diseased livers and ovaries. These may be signs of compromised immune systems in fish that are expending their energy dealing with toxins, Patterson said.

I wonder how this affects them genetically, and their off spring.

Pensacola marine biologist Heather Reed is studying red snapper for a private client using broader testing methods than mandated by the federal government, which she says are not adequate.

“I’ve been testing different organs in game fish that have been brought to me, and I’m seeing petroleum hydrocarbons in the organs,” said Reed, the environmental adviser for the City of Gulf Breeze. “I was shocked when I saw it.”

15 years of research and she was 'shocked' at what was found. Sounds pretty significant!

“Cause and effect is a huge problem for environmental work,” Snyder said. “You see anomalies in fish. Is it oil-related? How do we prove it? We can make the connection with economic stuff. But after the oil is gone, how do you definitely say the fish are sick because of the oil spill?

Well, we have a distinct problem, so we examine the variables and again, the spill was the biggest cause factor, imo. Proving it may be a challenge I guess, but I don't understand how it is not eveident, but then again I am not a scientist.
I wonder if BP will exercise some influence in the conclusions/reports from the studies they funded? I am glad there are some private studies being done as well.

peace,
spec

+27 more 
posted on May, 8 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Alarmed???? Shocked???

uhm...How many gallons of oil went into the gulf?

Oh, and how many gallons of Corexit went in after it?

And these are scientisits??

Pffffft !!

Quite frankly...I'm shocked that they're shocked.

edit on 8-5-2011 by Tasty Canadian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
My Aunt in ST. Loius was talking about the dam levee being purposely ruptured, and how alll the Missouri
farm land loaded up with fertilizers are washing down into the Gulf of Mexico right now. Fertilizers rob the water of oxygen. It really looks like bad choices being executed over and over resulting in pollution of the Gulf.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
On top of that..

we now have a nuclear spill into the Mississippi river..

which will add more poisons to the already dying Gulf..

so sad...

see this thread..

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 8-5-2011 by baddmove because: added words

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
The oil companies will continue to rake in billions and huge bonuses, which is all that matters to them. As long as the oil is out of sight it's out of mind and the not in the media. Why are we then surprised when mother nature fights back? Just as when our bodies get an infection or contract a virus, we tend to fight it off and over come it, see what I'm getting at? By saying she has an infection, I am not reffering to the oil.
edit on 8-5-2011 by Chordz because: Clarification

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
well done on your first thread

the corexit is the problem
that stuff is really bad news
americans should push to have it banned
it just sinks the problem
it does nothing to help the life on this planet
it should be banned

xploder

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I can only hope that this research is not covered up. I am also concerned about the contents of all the floodwater coming down from the Mississippi into the Gulf. Finally, though, we have scientists speaking out about what they are seeing and this actually was published and not stopped before being printed.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Elienne

Those high gas prices.... Because of the uproar in the Middle Eastern countries or because the oil cartel decided they needed to help out their buddy BP and jacked the prices up.

--OH! Did I mention that they also were putting their hands down our jeans for their own benefit?

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by frugal

Right you are and it is a classic example of reality surrounding or lack of, when even your post seemingly went unnoticed and yet imo other posters seem hell bent on backing the "evidence" card as if they personally have something to lose by agreeing with what we know has happened and what will become of all life based on this incredible lack of responsibility on the part of humanity as a whole.

Also I have to say that it has been a convenient forgetful surge among even those concered about eh Gulf Mass extinction event, that china at the same time was having the same experience and allowing even more toxic chemicals to be released.

This is a worldwide event and no life form on earth will or can escape the long term effects. In short humanity has dropped the ball and the game is over.

Star for your info.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I wonder how intentional the gulf spill was. Now that everything is dying off...and it is.....the petrol companies will be able to go in and drill extensively, because there won't be sea life to protect. I feel so sorry for the residents of Louisiana and Alabama. The government treats Louisiana residents like they are expendable. I would be terrified to live there. I live in Naples on the south of the Florida peninsula. I won't eat the fish, and no longer swim in the ocean. I would like to sue BP for destroying our quality of life. Bastards.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Just a week or two ago on CNN they ran a story saying the Gulf of Mexico seafood was safe again finally yay!

Of course they supplied ZERO facts and ZERO evidence to support this claim.

They also claimed that the reason not much Gulf Seafood is available on the market at this time is because the 'greedy' local fishermen didn't care to go fishing since they were living it up on those compensation packages handed out by the nice friendly BP who they are taking advantage of.

Funny how the facts and the actual scientists tell us a completely different story.

Sheesh the MSM is rotten to the core these days.

I'd rather eat Gulf seafood than believe the MSM...it's safer!

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tasty Canadian
Alarmed???? Shocked???

uhm...How many gallons of oil went into the gulf?

Oh, and how many gallons of Corexit went in after it?

And these are scientisits??

Pffffft !!

Quite frankly...I'm shocked that they're shocked.

edit on 8-5-2011 by Tasty Canadian because: (no reason given)

And that is all being radiated too at the same time. I can imagene the radiation reached US by now

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
I knew the Gulf was in trouble when the ol magic pie chart came onto the scene....

More interesting facts found here along with the magic pie chart...

www.dailykos.com...

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I am surprised that any scientist could be surprised by this.
Oil spill + Corexit = sick/dead fish
What did they think would happen?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
haha ooh we, mankind has failed totally

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Okey, I've really got to put my foot down right now! To all the sick fish in the Gulf. Knock it off!!! Apparently they didn't get the memo the government put about the Gulf being clean again. If the government says it's safe then it just has to be safe

Serious now. I can't say I'm surprised, you have billions of gallons of oil pumping into the Gulf then you have millions of gallons of chemicals to break up the oil, that if I remember right was only supposed to be used on the surface to break up the oil. I'm just surprised that the Gulf isn't completely dead.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by lostviking

This might be the idea, you're right on that. We may not be able to prove it was planned, but as they say, look to who's making a profit from this crime...
When most life is dead in the Gulf, oil companies will probably say it is an opportunity not to be missed and create programs in which we will be asked to contribute to bring the Gulf back to life...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join