It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sick Fish In Gulf Alarming Scientists

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Chewingonmushrooms

I don't need a lecture of how it use to be. I have been around to see all the changes. We have turned into a throw away society usually not by choice. My favorite saying is that anything made in China is made to sell not to use. Almost all of it ends up in the garbage either as soon as you get it because it either doesn't work or shortly breaks. I refuse to buy anything unless it is entirely necessary. If possible i buy only used. If says made in China I simply try to do without. We should send all the trash back to them and let them fill their land fills or live in the garbage they produce. I guess its the everyday citizens fault nothing is made here anymore. The only way to actually get a handle on it is live like the Amish which I am quite capable are you?

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Tonight the CDC called again. I had researched this topic of a Gulf Coast CDC survey, so when I got another call I questioned the title of the survey and quizzed the person on the phone. After my questions were answered, my husband did the survey. After some general questions about health insurance and life style, the questions zeroed in on the oil spill. Basically the questions asked if we had any direct connection to the oil clean up, and if we had lost any income from the spill and if our health was ok. It was not a long survey.
I had told people at work about the message and what it was about, as well as giving out the number so that some people I knew that had been ill could call in. Hopefully they did. I would hate that the CDC had just our response which basically stated my husband and I were ok and had not noticed any problems. I did notice that there were no questions about whether we have gone to the Gulf since the spill or eaten Gulf seafood. I would have emphatically answered that we have not been near the Gulf and that we do not believe the Gulf seafood is safe....

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by redrose123
reply to post by Chewingonmushrooms

I don't need a lecture of how it use to be. I have been around to see all the changes. We have turned into a throw away society usually not by choice. My favorite saying is that anything made in China is made to sell not to use. Almost all of it ends up in the garbage either as soon as you get it because it either doesn't work or shortly breaks. I refuse to buy anything unless it is entirely necessary. If possible i buy only used. If says made in China I simply try to do without. We should send all the trash back to them and let them fill their land fills or live in the garbage they produce. I guess its the everyday citizens fault nothing is made here anymore. The only way to actually get a handle on it is live like the Amish which I am quite capable are you?

What are you talking about? Did you miss quote me or something?

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
More news in the Pensacola News Journal today. A study actually , finally, stated the harm the corexit is doing.
Its about time ! A photo shows a bottle with oil and corexit and the oil is merged into the water. A second bottle is just water and oil, and the water is clear and the oil is floating on the surface.The article discusses the harm the dispersant did, and is doing, as well as clearly stating that it might have been better to never have used the dispersant as without it the oil would have floated on the surface , and would not have done such harm. Some quotes are below.
"When mixed with oil, Corexit, the chemical dispersant used by BP, is toxic to phytoplankton and bacteria — crucial elements in the Gulf of Mexico's fragile food chain, said Wade Jeffrey, a UWF biologist with the Center for Environmental Diagnostics and Bioremediation."
" BP claimed that the chemical would break up the oil and allow naturally occurring bacteria in seawater to eventually gobble up the harmful hydrocarbons. Jeffrey's preliminary research contradicts BP's assertion."
"The Associated Press reported last week that a south Florida researcher found that the spill might indirectly have contributed to the high number of young dolphins dying in the Gulf. The oil and dispersants appear to have disrupted the food chain and prevented dolphin mothers from building up insulating blubber to weather the cold, the report said."
www.pnj.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Today the News Journal ran a story on the newly researched effects of the oil spill on small marine marsh life in Louisiana.
www.pnj.com...|mostpopular|text |FRONTPAGE

The headline runs:

BP oil caused genetic deformities in Louisiana bait fish, study shows

"The study, led by a team of scientists from Louisiana State University, found what scientists call "sub-lethal" effects to killifish, a small but abundant species found in Louisiana's marshes and used as bait by fishermen.

Sub-lethal effects are those that pop up as animals grow. Researchers said the fish are showing signs of damage even though the amount of oil in their tissues and in the water where they were sampled was extremely low or not even detectable.". So in effect, the oil spill caused genetic damage that is now showing up, and it is questionable as to whether the fish can reproduce.
More and more I am glad I have not touched Gulf seafood since the spill, and refuse to go in the water. I must admit it was hard this summer!

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Elienne

If the oil is undetectable, how do they know it is the cause? Many things could cause genetic damage to the fish and be unrelated to the oil. Perhaps it was the dispersants? Perhaps there is some other type of contamination? Perhaps the oil spill killed off another predator and these fish are damaged from over or under population?

It seems one cannot blame the oil spill and at the same time say the oil is at undetectable levels? Odd piece of scientific writing? They should know better.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

It seems one cannot blame the oil spill

Your comment doesn't make sense.
If the oil spill never happened, the dispersants would never have been used.
The Gulf used to be healthy and teeming with life. Now it's just a shell of what it used to be.

So, in your mind, you can rationalize that this is spontaneous and has nothing to do with the oil gusher?
You are aware that it's still leaking right? You are aware that the dispersants were not approved to be used at the depth that they were, right? You need to read up on all the oil they've found sitting at the bottom of the Gulf. Just because it's not all at the top doesn't mean it's not still there. Look how long it took to clean up the Exxon Valdez! And we're supposed to believe they cleaned up the Gulf more quickly? Please!
edit on 29-9-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

I'm not saying it doesn't have anything to do with the spill. I'm just saying their rationale is all wrong, and their science is flawed. It could be directly related, as in the oil did the harm. It could be indirectly related, as in the oil affected some chain reaction or the response to the oil affected some reaction in the fish.

OR, it could be not related at all! It could be a separate contaminant. If they didn't find any oil or dispersants in the fish, it is an awfully huge leap to blame the oil spill. This is poor science in my opinion.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
reply to post by getreadyalready

The Gulf used to be healthy and teeming with life. Now it's just a shell of what it used to be.

How can you say that? By what evidence are you making that sort of claim?

I just recently got back from two weeks on Manasota Key (between Sarasota and Punta Gorda) and the Gulf waters are just TEEMING with schools of fish. Birds are getting fat and happy feeding on them. I was SWIMMING among schools of fish and watched larger predator fish chase the smaller schools into the shallows and onto the beach. Non of the wildlife looked sick or deformed. Quite frankly I went there EXPECTING things to be bad but came away pleasantly (and much relieved) surprised at how NORMAL the beach seems to be.

So if YOU have evidence to the contrary, please, by all means please enlighten us.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Elienne

i totaly agree, the goverment is really good at lieing and so if they say it is safe then we all know that it is not,how can anybody beleive the goverment propaganda, it just boggles my mind

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Nice find op, just remember the government loves you and would not lie to you about minor blemishes like-tail rot, so eat up and enjoy

The latest craziest item on the news about 2 days ago; was how humans no longer clean their fish & crustations properly, thus the reason for people getting sick

The insanity just thickens the older i become

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tasty Canadian
Alarmed???? Shocked???

uhm...How many gallons of oil went into the gulf?

Oh, and how many gallons of Corexit went in after it?

And these are scientisits??

Pffffft !!

Quite frankly...I'm shocked that they're shocked.

edit on 8-5-2011 by Tasty Canadian because: (no reason given)

DONT FORGET THE WATER RADIATION FROM FUKUSHIMA. smh
Its up to personal survival instinct now days.
edit on 10/4/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Probably has a lot to do With Mexicos Great Enviromental Policies also - imagine all them toxic chemicals from manufacturing spilling daily into the Gulf on top of the oil spill and corexit residue

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I was listening to a radio interview of a locally well known name in fishing for and selling seafood here in Pensacola. In the course of the interview he stated that there are areas that his fleet does not fish in because of the oil spill. If a local fishing fleet avoids certain areas in the Gulf because of the oil spill effects on the sea life, I would say that is pretty noteworthy.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Today the News Journal ran a story about dolphin deaths and miscarriages in the Gulf. A bacteria has been determined to be the culprit, but what caused the bacteria to be so deadly?
" Scientists believe they may have solved the mystery of what's killing hundreds of dolphins in the northern Gulf of Mexico. Dolphin experts confirmed that Brucella bacteria killed five dolphins — two adults and three fetuses — found off the coast of Louisiana. They're looking into whether the common bacteria, which can cause a host of health issues, has become more lethal or if the dolphins have become more susceptible to fatal infections because of environmental stresses, including last year's BP oil spill. ..."Severe environmental stress, including from exposure to oil, could have reduced the animals' ability to fight infection," said Terri Rowles, who along with Stephanie Venn-Watson, head the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's group studying the deaths. The scientists are also checking for brucellosis in eight dolphins found along the Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana coasts that had lesions matching those of the five dolphins confirmed with the infection. An additional 33 dolphins from Louisiana, Alabama and Florida are being targeted for testing."

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Tasty Canadian

Quite frankly...I'm shocked that they're shocked.

Tasty, quite frankly, I'm shocked that they are scientists? LOL

OP, it's a coincidence you posted this thread, as I was just at the grocery store today passing the fish section and wondering how much of what is on our shelves these days is contaminated with that BP oil. I think we are wise to stop eating fish altogether at this point.

oops...just saw this this thread was started quite a while ago....oh well, my comment stands.......

edit on 28-10-2011 by NightGypsy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
To add to the cause of such a growing problem, there's this to consider as well;

degette.house.gov...

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by NightGypsy

I too wonder about seafood when I go food shopping. It is sad really, because Pacific seafood has the debris from Fukushima and the radiation in the water from when the Japanese government let it spew out ....the Gulf has the oil spill and the dispersant chemicals , so where do we trust seafood, the North Atlantic?

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
What can we expect when we are tearing our planet apart

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Someone posted an article about Gulf life deformities. I believe the article originated from Al Jazeera. Not that I read it, but if true, it certainly ties into this thread. If fishermen are catching all this sealife with deformities, what are people ingesting that will build up in their systems?
www.abovetopsecret.com..."The fishermen have never seen anything like this..." Gulf seafood deformities alarm scientists

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join