It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bin Laden Raid May Have Exposed Stealth helicopter

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Has anyone provided a pic of the original shot where the tail rotor was sticking up from behind the fence?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Well, on the first page...halfway down I linked to the one I saw...but as I said in that post on page one...the first copy of this pic that I saw was really Hi-res and since then this current and all subsequent photos have been photo shopped and "dirtied up" to make the material and color scheme grainy and crappy looking.

Still have yet to see one like the original I saw. It was freaking pretty and beautiful...I mean...words can not describe it in its gray and silvery smoothness.

I think this is the one you are thinking of...

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I dont believe I've seen this explained so if someone please could enlighten me:

How exactly does a helicopter loose its entire tail section, rotor and all, then apparently fly away without leaving a single trace of itself other than said tail section?

edit on 5-5-2011 by merka because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by merka

It didnt' fly away - even the initial report says that the US troops on thescene blew it up to stop anyone retrieving it. The fire in the video that is around is the remains of the helicopter burning.

Pay more attention young glasshopper!

edit on 5-5-2011 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
The residents in the city claim that the electricity and phone were knocked out during that night. Not sure if this is true after that Twitter poster who claims to have tweeted the entire event...

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I've been following the story since I first heard about Osama being killed. When I came across the KIA photos and saw the tail section of one of the helicopters I REALLY got interested. Definitely a unique aircraft used.

About it being a Comanche, troops were deployed from the helicopter and a blackhawk can carry around 11 fully equipped soldiers. I don't believe the Comanche can carry any troops save the pilot.

What I am wondering is after destroying the downed craft, they crammed all those men and Osama's body onto the second aircraft. Must have been a tight ride out of area. They probably had some sort of air-cover or another helicopter on standby to make the assist but man, I want to hear more details of the assault.

I hope FRONTLINE does a full special on the lead up and execution of the mission but I am sure nearly all of it might remain classified.

edit on 5-5-2011 by wonderboy2402 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-5-2011 by wonderboy2402 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by wonderboy2402
About it being a Comanche, troops were deployed from the helicopter and a blackhawk can carry around 11 fully equipped soldiers. I don't believe the Comanche can carry any troops save the pilot.

did anyone say it was a comanche??

What I am wondering is after destroying the downed craft, they crammed all those men and Osama's body onto the second aircraft.

the reports all say they used 4 aircraft, of which 1 was destroyed - 2 modified MH-60's were the prime movers, with 2 chinooks as backup.

there were 24 troops involved in the assault, and they are reported as calling in 1 of the backup helo's to aid the extraction.

all from wiki - en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Star for you for answering some of the simple questions that could have easily been answered by actually reading this thread or any of the MSM stories.

LOL...kinda sad to get a star for such a simple ATS 101 task.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by XKrossX

lol - yeah.....while wiki may have many faults you gotta take each article on its own merits and as a place for lots of people to add snippets to each other it is often very useful

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
There's some better photos of the "surviving" bits on the Daily Mail

Looks like a UH-60 tail section with a highly modified rotor.

Id agree with you looks like an Sikorsky HH60 section with one exception it has 5 blade rotor as opposed to 4. I know nasa was experimenting with creating a whisper mode on the blackhawk tail rotor. Im guessing looking at that they did figure a way to quiet the tail rotor.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Didnt the Tweeter say he heard the helo's and thats when he started tweeting, so maybe they used the 'whisper' helos to deploy the seals and then had to call in the non whisper helos to extract which didnt matter at that time anyway cos mission was complete or the crash of the helo had alerted enough people anyway the element of suprise had already been taken.

Trying to think of the benefits of stealth over silence, if you were raiding a terrorist compund with no radar but you can hear for miles (such as afghanistan) then silence would be better.

However, if you wanted cross border raids into soverign territory to return downed pilots or 'snatch officials' a combination of both would be required.

So instead of doing one or the other, do both? Or is it horses for courses and you save money by having both available. I was going to say that the money is all in the development so it doesnt make sense to not have both technologies on one platform whether you need them or not but I think the F-22 showed thats not the case and the loss of the F-117 in the Balkans giving the russians or the chinese stealth, do you want to risk all technologies on every operation?

Either way, I agree on leaving a bit behind was a mistake and was that bit outside the compound? Maybe the pilot landed on the wall and it chopped the tail off so they could only blow up the main fuselage.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Besides the mysterious chopper I'm really wondering if every single Seal survived the raid, but I fear we will never get to know both facts...

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragonridr

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
There's some better photos of the "surviving" bits on the Daily Mail

Looks like a UH-60 tail section with a highly modified rotor.

Id agree with you looks like an Sikorsky HH60 section with one exception it has 5 blade rotor as opposed to 4. I know nasa was experimenting with creating a whisper mode on the blackhawk tail rotor. Im guessing looking at that they did figure a way to quiet the tail rotor.

See that hole next to the rotor?
I'm guess anti-noising sound comes out of that hole to -silence- the sound.
If you applied anti-noising to the gas turbine engine then the whole helicopter would be very quiet.
The first thing Osama heard was probably the door getting kicked in.

Well done Seal Team 6.

Don't worry about the helicopter. We will build a new one.

edit on 6-5-2011 by Eurisko2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Well it certainly looks like there is some advanced technology deployed, perhaps not a new helicopter but certainly a modified existing model.

Let's be honest, this happened in an allied country and not in the middle or a war, there's no reason they would have blown up a normal helicopter, it's not as if anyone would gain anything from reverse engineering a black hawk or a chinook and they weren't in the heart of a country they were at war with so there's only one logical reason for blowing the chopper up and that is because it was classified!

I live in a valley in south Wales and sometimes you get military and police choppers doing night exercises and the noise can be deafening because the valley ends in an almost bowl shape and the sound gets bounced around. One night a helo flew around and hovered for nearly and hour and it was almost silent, no rotor slap, very little turbine noise, the noise of the air going through the rotors seemed to be the loudest noise, it was very strange. I have no idea if it was military or maybe a newer civilian craft, it may well have been totally normal and nothing secret but it was very quiet so it just shows what can be achieved.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

See that hole next to the rotor?

Interesting idea, are you speaking of noise cancellation?

On other photos of the tail section, the 'holes' appear to be shiny panels, like glass or plastic.

I know some people that were out at night about 15 years ago near Ft. Indiantown Gap in Central Pennsylvania. They came around a turn in the road, and were surprised to see a helicopter hovering low over the road. The big thing was that it didn't make any noise, and they said it was less than 100 feet in the air and less than 100 yards away. It was summertime and they had their car windows down. Ft. Indiantown Gap has a lot of helicopters stationed there and they have numerous training simulators for various model helos.

edit on 6-5-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

They used the same technology for the F-117 Stealth Fighter.
That is so old that they decommissioned it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
You can buy noise cancellation headphones today.
It's nothing new.
I'm guessing the stealth helicopters went in first and dropped a few seals to get Osama.
They killed Osama in about 4 minutes.
Then the CIA guys went in there are tore the place apart looking for computers and documents.
That took about 25 minutes.
Then the noisy helicopters went in and picked everybody up. They were on their way back to
Afghanistan after 38 minutes.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Who needs stealth?

Pakistan's military didn't notice Bin Laden living in his giant compound a quarter mile from their elite military training school.

Somehow I think you could've flown a bunch of bi-planes trailing a banner with "We're coming for you Bin Laden" in giant letters, with wing walkers and dropping tootsie rolls onto the onlooking public and the military still wouldn't have noticed.

edit on 6-5-2011 by moogins because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by moogins

Ahhh thats a good one.

Thanks for that...best comment I have seen in a goood long while. /Dukes of Hazzard narrator voice

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
This definitly doesnt look like a blackhawk or anything normal does it.
Does anyone know what it was?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SpookyFox

Go read again - it was a Blackhawk variant

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join