It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need to get a rifle, and a couple of hand guns - Educate Me

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine
I just saw an AR online for like $895, is that a normal price for a brand new one?

Yeah that's pretty typical.

When you start getting up there in price you're paying for extras as well.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Whoops!

I just re-read my post and realized I said "pistoL" system. I meant "pistoN" driven AR. It's late and I was posting while listening to C2C so I was a bit distracted

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
If you are buying pistols and you aren't 100% going to buy a Springfield XDM, you didn't look good.

Get a Springfield XDM. (40 or 45)
edit on 27-4-2011 by Tephra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

Ruger f'd us all during the Clinton years. They came out pushing for that AWB so they could keep their rifles off the list.

After the old man died they began a turn around to win back customers. Depending on how the AWB affected you you might be more forgiving than others.

I'm not very forgiving and Ruger can eat a fat one.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

Two choices.

30-30 lever action and a .45 govt model (both are the price of the ar alone).

OR lever action chambered for a pistol round (.357?) and a pistol in the same. Ammo compatibility.

.357 is fine out to about 100yds in the rifle.

I'm done with the fancy "macho" guns. Had a few. Simple is better.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Maybe a CETME, a Springfield XD40 subcompact, and Ruger Lc9. CETME is your hunting/assault rifle. The XD is compact enough to carry, yet packs a punch. The Ruger is perfect small pistol, fits in a pocket, good for women too.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   

I am super small and have small hands. I am also female. That said - I like a 45 - but the ammo is more costly then for a 9 which is a pretty effective weapon with a lot of choice. Hollow points will stop intruders. I happen to prefer Springfield Armory. You will want to take her to the range, some folks don't like the bang bang and anticipate the pull. She will need to lock out her arms and get used to the noise. If this is for close range home protection you will want something with a big bang. Personally I don't want to take a chance the first shot isn't gonna work.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Since price is not an issue I would get an AK-47. Glock 17 for the wife. Glock 21 for you. I would also stock up on ammo. Probably at least 2000 rounds for the rifle.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Great comments and right on track. To continue down this path for the OP...

There are tons of choices but most is going to depend on what you are comfortable shooting, and how much time you have to prep and practice. I have friends who bought a gun/shotgun but have never taken it to the range. This is a good plan to get shot with your own gun or shoot someone you didn't want to shoot.

I've been shooting about 4 years now, starting with .38 and 9mm and moving up to .45. I can tell you that I'm much more comfortable with my 9mm and would sacrifice the stopping power for accuracy. In another few months of practice I may change that tune.

Make sure you physically hold whatever model you are going to buy, and if you can shoot it first that's even better. I know alot of people love glocks, but they just never felt right to me. (I like the beretta/taurus grips better).

For home defense I'd recommend 12ga tactical shotgun. The sound alone of it being cycled will send most intruders the other direction. Only consideration is if you have children running around, keeping everyone safe can be harder depending on their age. I just bought a Taurus Public Defender for similar 'shotgun' accuracy and so far I'm not impressed... stick to the 9mm, .40, or .45.

I think most posts have done well covering the AR vs AK aspect. My vote would be AR. I do have another option not mentioned. I have a (don't laugh everyone) hi-point 9mm carbine. It was dirt cheap and is very accurate at 50 yds. Since it shoots regular 9mm rounds you could stock up for both this and pistol, and the recoil is minimal. In a EOTW situation, I'd grab my AR first without a doubt. But this could be a nice affordable backup option or possibly a rifle for the wife?

Best of luck with the purchases.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
The best gun of all:

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   

My SHTF Weapons,

BR-MSAR STG-E4 in 5.56 NATO, 18.5 in heavy barrel, EoTech L-3 Holo. optics. Bullpup design has a faster rate of target acquisition IMO since the barrel is not sticking out as far. Basically a Steyr Aug copy. If money is no option this is the BR to go with as far as the dependability and range issue in regards to the AR/AK debate. IMO it is better than both. It's as if you are cradling a baby in your arms...

Pistol-Smith and Wesson M&P in .357 Sig or .40 S&W, interchangeable drop-in barrels so can fire either cartridge with the same action.I prefer the .357 Sig cartridge over any other pistol round (practically the same foot lbs. force as a .45 but you have better bullet penetration through cover with .357 Sig plus you get 15 rounds with the .357 Sig vs 10 with .45) but it's nice to be able to fire either cartridge when it comes down to ammunition availability.

Long range rifle-Trued Weatherby Vanguard SUB-MOA in 7mm Rem. Mag. with Nikon 4 - 16 x 50mm optics, Harris Bi-pod...it's just a 1000 yard plinker...

Close quarters/home defense-Remingtom model 870 12 gauge shotgun. Double OO and slugs.

Blade-19 inch Garud Ang Khola (chop-chop baby)

-My wife is also small so I bought her a S&W .38 special. Worked out perfectly for her.

edit on 27-4-2011 by TexasChem because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I'm more AK platform guy, so for the rifle will recommend a VEPR, these rifles available in 223, 308 and 7.62x39 caliber. For a hand gun......no doubts here FN five seven.

just my nickel here

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Stay away from the chinese made Nirinco crap. Buy Colt or glock for hand gun.

Glock P26 9mm for something very compact Or Glock 21 .45 for a little bigger kick. Or Browning hipowered 9mm
lots of rounds.

For a rilfe it all depends on what you need it for.

Up close and personal go with a car if it is range you want then go with a 308 weatherby or 3006 browning.

RB
Stay alert stay alive.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I agree with Rugar they screwed up.

Stick with the trusted ones lick the Colt officers model. Or for very compatcs the Glock P26 is very nice or the Glock 21 for a little more bang. Browning makes a nice High powered 9mm which is sweet and holds more rounds.

For the rifle I like a weatherby 308 or the browning 3006. Up close and personal assualt it would be the hands down CAR.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by cushycrux

Hwey that looks like a p26 I can tell by the pistol grip nice peice and comes with a large capacity mag. Watch out for the cheep replacement mags that have the plastic inserts as they jam and are garbage.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Get these.. when I served my time here in Denmark, we tried a lot of different weapons..
here are my alltime favorites

( U.S.A )
Ruger P89DC - 9mm, double action with decocker - direct descendant of the P85
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/973c80c6947a.jpg[/atsimg]

(Germany)
Heckler Koch HK 45 pistol
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/88352b449364.jpg[/atsimg]

(Austria)
Steyr AUG A3 Carbine with 16inch barrel and optional forward grip / tactical flashlight and telescope sight
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/44bf748b9d5d.jpg[/atsimg]

Steyr AUG A3 in Sniper configuration, with heavier and longer 20inch barrel,detachable bipod and long-range telescopic sight
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0eee697791af.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 27-4-2011 by Vandalour because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
First up, I'm a Brit, so my up to the minute knowledge of guns is not going to be as great as all the US folks.
But if you think about what you need a gun for and the likely scenarios in which you will need to use one, then this bit of advise that I was given years ago may help...

If you need a gun, you need it to fire, not jam. Get a revolver cos a dud round will just mean one more squeeze of the trigger and it won't scatter cases all over the floor for you to slip on or for the cops to get prints off.

A double barrelled 12 bore will take care of anyone in your house and won't jam like a pump can.

A bolt action rifle will be accurate, quick firing and easier to maintain than a semi auto.

If you think you'll need an automatic, then run away, fast.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
This here is a classic combination of guns, all you really need is the back up pistol of your choice. www.mikemalloy.com...
Keep this one at your side at all times www.shottist.com...

edit on 27/4/11 by gunshooter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   

edit on 27-4-2011 by alphabetaone because: Post unnecessary, saw answer reading back

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Hey everbody! First post ever! Thanks for having me! Being former Military and Law Enforcement, I have some knowledge on this subject so I thought I would throw my two cents in for you. In my opinion, if you're going to be looking in the AR type weapons category, you can't go wrong with the HK416. Or, check out adamsarms.net. Very high quality piston system weapons. Or, feel free to check out Patriot Ordinance and of course Knights Armament. Both top notch makers. While HK does offer a very nice side arm, a bit over priced in my humble opinion... You can't go wrong with a SIG P226, or a Springfield XD .357 SIG. Thanks and I hope this was helpful!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join