It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need to get a rifle, and a couple of hand guns - Educate Me

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I'm looking in the direction of an AR however somebody suggested an A2 Carbine.
I need something reliable that won't leave me assed out in a crazy situation. I'm not out for a "looks good" rifle.

As for the pistols, my friend wants me to buy his HK45 for $650 so I just need some knowledge on that. And I'd also like 1 or 2 additional pistols. Price is not an issue.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

Dont buy nothing until you test fire what ur looking at.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
An AR is plenty reliable, but they get dirty quick. I'm partial to the AK platform because I have one and for the mosr part they always go bang. It depends on what you want. You can get AR designs that function closer to an AK also. There are so many options out there. People are going to tell you what to get and I did to but you have to find what works for you. As for handguns I don't know much about all the different ones.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TraptInTheSystem

I've heard a lot about the different makes of the AK. Some are reliable, some are not, depending on where it was made. Where was yours made?

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I have an AK 74, check out this video

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TraptInTheSystem

I have owned AKs and AR-15s. I would take the AR-15 any day over the AK. The AK is a cheap weapon and is not very accurate. The AR-15 is much more expensive but you get what you pay for.

I personally have a Ruger-556 and it is a great weapon. I paired it with a weaver tactical bi-pod and a Vortex strike fire scope with a Aim point mount. The original vortex mount is crap.

I owned a Romanian PSL 7.62x54r and it was a piece of crap. I wished I had done more research before buying it.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Mine is Romanian. Alot of the Romanian's are hit and miss so you have to be on the lookout. I'd say the best are the Russian Arsenals or the Russian Saigas. The Saiga's are like hunting model's, but can easily be converted to Ak configuration. A gunsmith should be able to do it easily.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Are you guys sure you want to be divulging your arsenals on the web
Just sayin........but I'm still taking notes.

Carry on.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by PatriotsPride

WOW, very nice. Worth looking into for real.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   

If you're thinking survival get a Henry survival ar7. I have one. It's only a 22. LR but it's compact,it floats and you can carry a lot of 22 ammo.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

I was talking to a friend, and he acted like a Ruger was to be avoided like the plague.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Arcade425

Yea, survival is what I have in mind. It says that when disassembled the pieces fit into the stock??? That + the price are SEXY. lol

Just to be honest (cuz I didn't make it clear in my OP) this is in preparation for when the SHTF which I've only recently started to believe will happen the way that some people say.
edit on 27-4-2011 by My.mind.is.mine because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

What do you want the pistols for? CCW? Hunting? Home defense? Plinking (casual target practice)?

I think a good carry gun, and home defense, is a Glock 23 in .40 S&W or a Glock 22 if you're big. I have a Ruger Mark II .22 in stainless for casual plinking and it's a great gun. For hunting up to deer size targets I might look at a Ruger Bisley in .44 magnum.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Home defense - Remington 870 shotgun
handgun/personal defense - HK USP 45
Rifle - AK variant or S&W MP15

think of the ammo, you dont want to get one that has scarce ammo...

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

I've got a glock17,a kel-tec 308 the henry and a bushmaster and oh my mossberg
I just invested in bullet restistant excutive armor

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by wasco2

The pistols are for home/self defense. I would like to get more than one because trying to find something my wife can even HOLD right is gonna be hard. She's super small and has super extra small hands.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
650$ is way too high...You can get a brand new XDM for like 700$ and that's just about the top of the line. Also I'd add an S&W M&P they're nice and a great bargain gun is the S&W SD you could get twice as many as you could of the top of the line models. As far as rifles there's plenty of choices but a factor to keep in mind what ammo will be the easiest to find in the field. That would probably be 5.56 or 7.62 and maybe .308. I like the .308 the best because of it's range but there just won't be an abundance of that stuff to be found in the field ya know. I could be way off here but it sounds like your doing some early preparing for a SHTF situation...if your not then I'd go for the AK 47 for short range (max 400m) and the M-14 for the long range. Guess it depends on what you need it for.

If you are then you have to decide how well you can keep it clean and what's the lightest most abundant ammo in the field. Best bet will be an AR if you can keep it clean and probably the M14 if not...

edit on 27-4-2011 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

I agree with you that AK's aren't as accurate as an AR when compared, but they always shoot, atleast mine has.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by RickyD

You're correct, I mentioned it in a previous post. I see the S is gonna be H-ing TF pretty soon, so I'm just tryna get prepared.

My dad has all S&W and swear by them.
edit on 27-4-2011 by My.mind.is.mine because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   

45 is a good gun a lot of power glock 9m is laughable but very consistent shooting wise. Had a friend with an AR nice gun shot well and you can switch calibers by just switching barrels which is nice plus it has all sorts of additions and what not you can buy. with the 45 i would buy a should mount i don't know if that is right term for it basically its a clip that holds the 45 and its also a gun butt so its more like a rifle. 45's can kick so that could add some more accuracy to it.
edit on 27-4-2011 by pcrobotwolf because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join