It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HELP ME, PLEASE. Do i kill my dog?? He's my best friend.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by seeashrink
reply to post by meathed

I'm so sorry for you and your faithful friend. I had a Shepard that I loved dearly and I had to put him down due to his health. The night that I made the decision, my dog looked me in the eyes and he seemed to say "I've had enough, help". He let me know he was ready to go. Maybe if you take some time with your pet and look into his eyes, you may see he is trying to tell you something, or maybe not. It's just how it happened to me. I wish you the best.
Seeashrink

Gday Seea,
Sorry about your Shepard, mate.
I think i have had that LOOK that you have just talked about more than once. And the sad thing is my mates have seen the same look. My mates have been over more lately just hanging out with nugg, just making sure they can say their goodbyes too. ( Its been dog treat city)
I do think he is trying to tell me something Seea.

Im just dont like what i see.

Thanks Seea, thanks for your kind wishes.
Peace Friend.
Meathed

edit on 23-4-2011 by meathed because: I was patting my dog and spelt things wrong.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
meathed...I'm so sorry you are having to make this decision...especially at such an already sad and stressful time in your life. I am a huge dog lover...have 3 myself and have had many over my lifetime. It's always a hard decision when the dog is getting older...and when they may be suffering it's even worse.

I have to tell you...in my opinion 15 years is a good long life for a dog...you've obviously taken great care of your best friend
If I was put in the same situation I would let him go. He will understand and will always be with you no matter what. Once their quality of life is compromised, it's best to allow them to go peacefully.

I wish you all the best and will be thinking of you and your little buddy. Take care

Michelle

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by ^anubis^
reply to post by meathed

I would rather feed an animal than feed myself, hes your best friend till the end, dont let him suffer he must be in great pain and he can't tell you how he feels. say your goodbyes have one last memorable moment with him and let him go in peace, its his time to rest now.

Hi ^anubis^
You just made me laugh, as you must be a little bit like me. (maybe alot?) As I do feed my nugget more than me sometimes.
I have already started to have some memerable moments with nugget mate, as i realise that , that eternal sleep for nugg is creeping up ever so quickly.
Thanks for your honesty you anubis.
Peace my friend.
Meathed.

Ps. I love the tales of ancient egypt too.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Michelle129th
meathed...I'm so sorry you are having to make this decision...especially at such an already sad and stressful time in your life. I am a huge dog lover...have 3 myself and have had many over my lifetime. It's always a hard decision when the dog is getting older...and when they may be suffering it's even worse.

I have to tell you...in my opinion 15 years is a good long life for a dog...you've obviously taken great care of your best friend
If I was put in the same situation I would let him go. He will understand and will always be with you no matter what. Once their quality of life is compromised, it's best to allow them to go peacefully.

I wish you all the best and will be thinking of you and your little buddy. Take care

Michelle

Hi Michelle
And Thank you for understanding where my head is at the moment.
I do love a person that loves dogs

3 must be trying at stages??(I had 3 running a riot on me before too)
Im starting to realise that 15 years IS a long and beautiful time to spend with my nugget. And just maybe i have done something right with him.
Michelle.... your honesty i what i wanted and you gave me that, thank you
Thanks Michelle for your wishes for me and my little buddy too.

May you take care too.
Peace.
Meathed

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by lunchmanstan
I would probably rather put down the EX and keep the dog. But on a more serious note my best freind is getting old to I fear his days are very numbered. I cant imagine him not being here to great me when I come home. Always so happy to see me no matter what happened during my work day.

But then again I know his arthritus is really hurting him and he suffers every day and night with pain. Damn tuff decission but it will have to be made. Good luck to you
I hope my boy will go quietly in the night.

Off topic.
LOL, lunchman, I too have already contimplated the putting down of the EX half ,but..... it isn't worth the trouble.

On topic.
Im saddened to hear about your friend.
I too dread the day that my furry friend isnt waiting at the front door with his big grin and his unconditional love.
Thanks for your luck, and i wish you the same luck back mate.
I too have been wishing that nugget will pass on in his sleep just so i did have to make a damn tough decision either. But..........

Thanks LMS.

Meathed

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I think you should try and make him a little trolly so he doesnt need to use his back legs and can pull himself around - ive seen this done before for legless dogs - it may give him the freedom he needs to fight for more time.

If you can not find a way for his life to be more enjoyable then you should consider putting him down, but dont feel obligated to either - if you think death shoulr remain a natural process then let it occur naturally.

Then end of the day it's your call do what you think the dog would want.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trublbrwing
I was going to reply and give you my opinion but I got the same writers block that I get when someone passes a sympathy card around the office. I can tell you really love your dog, whatever decision you make will be the right one and in the best interests of your friend.

Gday Trubl,
Thanks you for your reply mate.

Peace

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Thank you again for your replies and well wishes.
Im sorry it is taking so long to reply back to you all, but i will soon
Thanks again.

Peace all.
Meathed

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by meathed

Just so everyone no's Nugget is OUR dog. We were 2gether when we got him. I gave Glucosamine and fish oil tabs to my ex a year ago to give to Nugget to help him they r still sitting in the cupboard untouched.
Nugget has lived at the house for the last 10 years and i think he should stay at his home. I have the capacity to look after him properly unlike my ex, who keeps nugget inside all day while he smokes in the house. Its no wonder Nugget has gone down hill.
I have missed Nugget everyday since i left my ex, and would like to spend some time with nugget to, which is something my ex has made very hard 4 me to do.
I think u all need to hear my side of the story to compleatly understand the situation.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by meathed

Having read your posts and as a dogowner myself, I feel you should stop using your dog as a pawn to score points in your relationship and do what's best for the him and leave him where he is, in a familiar surrounding and with the person who will give him the best love and attention.

Sorry if this sounds blunt but it would be the unselfish thing to do and in the long run best for all.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by meeeeeoo
reply to post by meathed

Just so everyone no's Nugget is OUR dog. We were 2gether when we got him. I gave Glucosamine and fish oil tabs to my ex a year ago to give to Nugget to help him they r still sitting in the cupboard untouched.
Nugget has lived at the house for the last 10 years and i think he should stay at his home. I have the capacity to look after him properly unlike my ex, who keeps nugget inside all day while he smokes in the house. Its no wonder Nugget has gone down hill.
I have missed Nugget everyday since i left my ex, and would like to spend some time with nugget to, which is something my ex has made very hard 4 me to do.
I think u all need to hear my side of the story to compleatly understand the situation.

LIAR LIAR.
I have given nugget everything that he needs plus the extra things like companionship
Nugget has the run of the house, the doors are open for him. And my EX will put him outside to live.
My ex smokes so for her to bring that one up is wonderful.
My ex has proved over the last year she is far from reliable.
I offer nugget to My ex all the time and she has failed to get him everytime as she is just to busy to care.

Ps, NUGGET IS MY DOG.
edit on 27-4-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-4-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by meathed

I was going to keep away from this thread when I saw what it was going to turn into - just another battlefield for you and your ex to score points off each other - but I've been furious about this for the last 24 hours and have to say something.

Firstly, you should know that I sent your ex a U2U in which I said that I thought early on that she would care about the dog and that I hoped the two of you could work something out.

Let me tell you how things look to me at the moment:

Your wife left you and after lengthy divorce proceedings she won the house and you've been made to move out. The only weapon you have left is the dog.

You've cynically came on here and wound everybody up, getting us on your side and, presumably, have shown this thread to your ex in an attempt to justify your actions when you have the dog put down before she can move back into the house with him.

Our posts have just been more ammunition for you, haven't they? You can use every argument in favour of doing the right thing for the dog to persuade your ex-wife that you're doing the 'right thing' and not trying to hurt her. I even suggested that you could negotiate sleeping in the garage to be on hand to help out - well, that must have been useful.

Other people have mentioned how much an ailing animal would miss its owner and how that would add to its misery.

Do you realise how difficult it is to respond to a thread like this? It's a fine line between supporting someone who has one of the most difficult and heartbreaking decisions to make and advocating the death of a suffering creature who we know nothing about, except what you tell us.

Many people have shared their stories with you and I admit I haven't read them all in full because they were too upsetting. I've been participating in another thread where someone has lost their dog and I can hardly bear to hear about any more unhappiness.

I noticed that my first post is one that you haven't yet responded to. I didn't mind, you've far too much going on in your life to answer every single response. But I hoped that perhaps it had encouraged you to open up a communication with your ex-wife with a view to doing the right thing for the dog.

I regret it very much if I have made an unfair accusation against you, but take a step back and see how your behaviour can look to the outside world.

For the sake of the dog, TALK TO YOUR EX-WIFE, in a calm and reasonable manner. DO NOT do anything with that dog without her consent. And get some reliable advice from a vet - that's both of you - instead of coming on here and using people to back up your side of what looks to be a very nasty battle.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Well today is Decision day all.
And the decision was, Nugget will stay with my EX. I thought long and hard about your words, your thoughts and your wishes. I just couldnt say goodbye to nugget yet. He has been to good for to long for me not to let nature run its course.(Hopefully)
I have made an agreement with my EX that when i get a place in a few weeks and that i WILL get nugget back and that i will be the one that will have him till that final day.
However I have asked my EX to come with me to take nugget to another vet together just so she can she for herself what is happening to nugg. So I hope she will come and will understand what is happening to nugget??

Im am with nugget now for a BBQ at my mates house with 5 of mine and nuggets friend before the change over, so me and nugget are laying down under a blanket in front of a fire after a big meal of steak,sausages,kebabs and a variety of salads,Plus a shot of beer
Well he is 105+ years

Nugget is asleep and snoring (Its such a beautiful sound)as i type.

So i will hand nugg over tomorrow. But i will get to see nugget once a week until i can get him back full time. I ended up thinking that this was the best option. I read all of your words that you have written, Some of you have
said say goodbye to nugg, some said leave him with your Ex and some said leave him at home( But isn't home where his heart is?????)
As i told you all, i want the best for nugget. I only hope i have chosen the right thing to do.
I know alot of you have told me to say goodbye for good, BUT i just couldn't do it.
BUT the next few days after the change over of nugget to my Ex will decide what will happen. As i have stated that the reason that i am having troubles of leaving nugget with my ex is the FACT is that she cannot pick 50kilograms ( 110lb) of nugget off the ground. Show me a 50kg girl that can. So i only hope that she will call if she needs a hand.
We will see after tomorrow whether my Ex was correct or i was correct.
But after watching how nugget was today im not sure he will be ok.
We will have to wait and see.
Thank you all. Please reply with your thoughts on my decision.

Ps. To all i have yet replied to, i still will.
Thank you all

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by meathed

Meathed, that is a wonderful and generous decision.

I hope so very much that things work out well. With some goodwill between you and your ex and some good advice from the vet I am sure that, in the end, you will make the best decision.

Thank you very much for the update.

I hope that, however long he has left, Nugget enjoys his life and appreciates all that you do for him

edit on 28-4-2011 by berenike because: better use of words

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by meathed

so glad you came to a well thought out desision,i.m sure nugg will be fine and like you said once your back on your feet then nugg will be back by ya side.
so happy he will be around for a while yet,i.m down with whateva you think is best for nugg

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
If you feel he isn't happy, just let him go...however, you say he still has life in him? If you think he still has that little glimmer in his eyes, then let him live. Miracles happen sometimes, it would be a shame to pass one up. Also, you've had the guy since you were 18, why would your ex get to keep him?

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by KingKazma

Oops, I didn't read all of the comments. I'm glad you and your ex came to an agreement. And I hope that Nugget can get back on his feet.

Best wishes!

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by KingKazma
reply to post by KingKazma

Oops, I didn't read all of the comments. I'm glad you and your ex came to an agreement. And I hope that Nugget can get back on his feet.

Best wishes!

Thanks. My ex and i may have come to a type of agreement, But i haven't handed nugget back over yet. I still cant let him go yet as i he isn't doing well. So I will keep him for a little longer till i find out how nugget will handle this.
So thanks for your comments. I still dont know what to do.
Thanks for your wishes

edit on 2-5-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: meathed

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: wozzy

Plz help me clarify. My partner of 15 years and I are separating.she bought me a dog 5 years ago. He is my best bud and vice versa. I'm the one who bathes, feeds, walks, plays, etc with him. She is demanding he stays with her in our home of 8 years. I want him so badly to be with me but I'm moving to another state. He bonds with her when I'm out of town and knows how he loves me. He sleeps in my room at night. What should I do? Leave him in his environment? Or take him with his bud?

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join