It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HELP ME, PLEASE. Do i kill my dog?? He's my best friend.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
We have had to let our vet put down our dogs 3 times in the course of our lives (60+ yrs. - We have had dogs that could be treated and they lived for a number of years afterwards. This is a heartbreaking decision - I know. We relied on our vet's opinion concerning this and I have no regrets. The dr. will do what is best for your dog and avoid putting him through unnecessary suffering. Your dog will be out of his misery but you will feel the loss - each time, we realized that we had made the right decision for our pet. Sorry you have to go through this.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Like most have already posted...I too would consider putting the dog down. If your vet has suggested this then in it's very likely the dog may be suffering a little bit. Very tough decision & I will not know that decision until that time comes for me. I always talked about adopting when my dog passes.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by meathed

I had a german shephard dog named Max when I was a child. We had him since he was a baby puppy. The best guardian ever, my best friend. When he aged to 16 he was definitely showing his age and he wasn't as mobile as he once was. His eating habits were subsiding and was also going somewhat blind. He never left our side, was the family treasure. We made the decision to have him put down. It was a hard moment in my life. I did shed a lot of tears, but in the end we knew he would live a better second life in doggy heaven. He lived a great life, and left me a scar above my left eye when he jumped on me once. I'll never forget him. R.I.P. *Max*
edit on 18-4-2011 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
As an animal shelter employee I can tell you that the saddest dogs we get in that the ones that spend their lives with one owner, and are then ripped away. It's highly likely that his medical problems will roll downhill quickly once you are out of the picture...not saying that it's certain...but 95% of the older dogs that we see at the shelter go through the equivelent of losing a loved one. I guess it comes down to...is he going to enjoy what's left of his life without you in it?

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
the vet will do what is best for his pocket book. you should do it yourself and not some stranger for profit.

if you own a pistol take him somewhere secluded and let him die nobly. or let him die naturally.

really there is no wrong decision.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by meathed

My favorite dog was having similar complications and I let her life end naturally. I was by her side the whole way and I felt as though it shouldn't be my calling at a specific time to end her life (Which I would have probably felt extremely guilty about later) Your situation with the divorce however is an added issue. Is there no way you can work things out with your ex to keep the dog so that you can take care of him?

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

I don't know about the shooting part but letting it happen naturally is the best choice in my opinion. I had a Shih Tzu that was murdered (Euthanized) because I couldn't afford an expensive vet bill. So my little Marley Pooh died in the name of profit. Bastards...

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by meathed

I'm so sorry for you and your faithful friend. I had a Shepard that I loved dearly and I had to put him down due to his health. The night that I made the decision, my dog looked me in the eyes and he seemed to say "I've had enough, help". He let me know he was ready to go. Maybe if you take some time with your pet and look into his eyes, you may see he is trying to tell you something, or maybe not. It's just how it happened to me. I wish you the best.
Seeashrink

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by meathed

I would rather feed an animal than feed myself, hes your best friend till the end, dont let him suffer he must be in great pain and he can't tell you how he feels. say your goodbyes have one last memorable moment with him and let him go in peace, its his time to rest now.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I would probably rather put down the EX and keep the dog. But on a more serious note my best freind is getting old to I fear his days are very numbered. I cant imagine him not being here to great me when I come home. Always so happy to see me no matter what happened during my work day.

But then again I know his arthritus is really hurting him and he suffers every day and night with pain. Damn tuff decission but it will have to be made. Good luck to you
I hope my boy will go quietly in the night.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Thank you all.
Thanks for replying.
Thanks all for sharing your story's of love and the loss of your furry little loved one's with us all.
I have laughed and also shed some tears for you and your little friends too.
I will reply to everyone of you kind hearted souls that have replied as your thoughts and words means everything to this Meathed.
Thanks again all, I knew you wouldn't let me down.

edit on 18-4-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I was going to reply and give you my opinion but I got the same writers block that I get when someone passes a sympathy card around the office. I can tell you really love your dog, whatever decision you make will be the right one and in the best interests of your friend.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
At first, I was like HUH? Kill your dog? Then I read further.

My eyes welled up with tears.

I kept reading.

I was bawling by the end of the thread. My wife asked what was going on, and I told her it was the saddest thread I ever read. We are dog lovers, we have currently have three, a pure white husky with blue eyes (3 yrs old), a golden retriever (2 years old), and a german shepherd at 9 months. They are members of the family with 2 other human children. If anything happened to them, yeah, ouch. We don't think those thoughts. We enjoy life. It's chaos with the different breeds, but they mush together like they are a well-oiled machine. Awesome.

Your dog in doggy years is 105. Time to put him to rest, and yes, tell him that. It doesn't make it easier, but it does establish that you love him.

You can only love what you have in the present. I have cried many tears in passing of a best friend, but somehow another always comes along. It takes time, but having the young with the old always takes the STING out of it. It's fascinating to watch.

Let your dog end his days with QUALITY. Let him go out a man, with dignity. Don't let him suffer. Honestly, if he was any younger, you could put him up for adoption, but yes, you must accept the fact that he is ready for his final dues.

I've been in your spot before, and it's not easy. The tears help a bit. It's honestly the worst thing you must do as a real man. It's worse than divorce. (Been there done that.) It's more painful. Dogs are more loyal.

Dogs love you regardless. They don't care if you fart or not. They don't complain. (Except when they need to potty.)

WHOA, off topic, I was comparing how much better dogs are to women.

Back on topic:

The age of your best friend, health issues, divorce. The answer is clear. Not exactly the most desirable, but obvious, and when life turns back around for you, find another friend. I've lost several over the years, and several have replaced them. The most amazing thing is that they love you unconditionally.

UNCONDITIONAL LOVE = DOGS.

That's WHY they are man's best friend.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by meathed

Many breeds of dogs this happens. Of course the dog is suffering; even a human being would suffer with the same condition.

Put him down and give him a beautiful burial.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
All dogs to to heaven brother...Nugg will be waiting there at the golden gates for you when its your turn. Hardest thing to do ever. For sure be there with him for his final breathes. You got me in tears here thinking bout when i had to do it to Hollywood. My best friend I ever had.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
This is in the rant section

Why can't we just have 'mentally unstable' section for all the really weird ones (90% of ATS)?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
ive also been told of a simple surgery to the hip that relieves a great deal of the discomfort for a few more years. more of an adjustment really. but its not an end all be all, the displysia is a breeding error.

in the dogs defense though, it might not be that big a deal to him.

with mine...shes so eager to please that she trys to hide her discomfort. i think she knows that i know...and trys to mask or hide it..that tells me all i need to know.

so i pretend to not notice. after all id much rather do what i know makes her happy, than what i think may make her unhappy.

i hope i do not receive a myriad of hatred from all the other users for suggesting what i may have done in the same situation..since it appears im on the side of unpopular opinion.

its not like its cancer...cancer gives you far less options...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Wow man I feel for you, putting down your dog, or your cat or whatever sucks. I have plenty of friends, but my dog and 2 cats were always the ones that were loyal to me, when I had to sell my old place, i had no choice but to lose them, the dog was given to my aunt who i could atleast see sometimes, she was old and died a few months ago.

My two cats have good homes, but it sucks because you feel like you're turning your back on them, when they never turned their back on you. I wish you and you're ex wife could figure something out, put everything aside and do what's best for that dog you have

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Listen closely. If you would have had a child would you consider putting the child down because you made a poor decision in your life? I will never be able to understand people that would even consider doing that. It would be different if the dog had cancer and was going through pain.

You need to make arrangements for your family. Its not that difficult so stop being selfish. That dog will get you through the toughest times in your life if he hasn't already He'll protect you and die for you all happily and your considering murdering him? It will haunt you the rest of your life. He's your family. Just like a kid. He didn't pick you. You picked him. And I like cows but I like steak better. I'm talking about an animal that you decided to purchase and raise as a family pet. He's your responsibility to protect not be his greatest danger. How does this not naturally come to you?
edit on 4/19/2011 by JerryB08 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/19/2011 by JerryB08 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Well that just brought tears to my eyes. I keep remembering the last moments too often and try harder to remember the much more lengthy and wonderful youthful times, and it's getting easier to not think about it, no doubt, but last June I took my wonderful dog camping for our last time and gave him a quick death after a good couple of days in nature where we had the most adventures and fun. He could barely walk for a while due to spinal/nerve problems and I had a hard time deciding whether or not to take him to the vet or not. I still don't know if I did the right thing or not but it was quick and I hope painless. He is buried where the wolves roam and howl, as he did once, as a husky tends to do. 14 1/2 years of companionship roaming the woods camping panning, fishing, hunting....... my best friend, Tesla, was a pick of the litter from a friend that runs a dog sled operation and he had a good life and a long life. I don't envy your decision but there are articles and chat archives online where you can read the debate about this matter, which is very personal. Peace be with you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join