It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HELP ME, PLEASE. Do i kill my dog?? He's my best friend.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by JerryB08

Don't compare a child to a dog!

Fact is the dog is 15 years of age, in human years that a mighty long time for a dog. Surgery for this animal will be very very high when the dog most probably would'nt live another 1-2 years even if this did'nt happen. I think the owner will have to be practical and humane; it's not easy task...I cried for 4 days straight after putting my 7 year old cat down because she had cancer; I never felt guilt putting the cat down but I did feel guilty for letting her go as long as I did.

Of course the dog is suffering. Do what is in the best interests of the dog, not your own feelings.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by JerryB08

Don't compare a child to a dog!

Fact is the dog is 15 years of age, in human years that a mighty long time for a dog. Surgery for this animal will be very very high when the dog most probably would'nt live another 1-2 years even if this did'nt happen. I think the owner will have to be practical and humane; it's not easy task...I cried for 4 days straight after putting my 7 year old cat down because she had cancer; I never felt guilt putting the cat down but I did feel guilty for letting her go as long as I did.

Of course the dog is suffering. Do what is in the best interests of the dog, not your own feelings.

Some people don't have or want kids.
To some their dog or cat is their child.
actually unlike humans your pets are loyal to you and not judgemental, in some ways they are better than people

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by CoolStoryMan

I have pets too and they are very much part of our family but for goodness sake, there's a big difference between a child and a pet; perhaps if and when some of these pet owners have children they'll soon find out what their priorities are.

I'm not going to apologise when I say people come first before animal (even though some people get more up my goat than a domesticated animal).

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimisticPessimist

Thanks mate.
Im not going to prolong his life with unnecessary medical treatments.
Ive got him on glucosamine tablets like other have suggested but thats it.
Thats why i think i need to say goodbye to nugget soon, so he's not in pain and so i am there at the end for him.
He's been to good of a dog for me and i own him at least that much.
Thanks again for your kind words.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by TomServo
Same situation with my black lab. Try feeding you dog Nutro Natural Choice - High Protein. My girl loves it, much more than the Happy Hips recommended by the vet. And it seems to be 10x more effective. Good luck!

There are several things you can try to help improve your dog's quality of life and prolong the inevitable. There will be times you would give anything for just one more day with your unconditional companion. However, there will be a day when you go to pick your dog up off the ground or help her up the stairs, and she looks you in the eye just so. Then you will know, it's time. It should be obvious if you are in tune with her as much as she is with you...

Thanks for your luck.
Thanks for your tip, i will have to try.
I just had to pick nugget up just then. And the worst part about it will be coming into winter soon, and if he's this now and it is yet to get cold.... what will he be like then???????
I haven't a clue what to do yet, but there has many good replies and good ideas for me to think about.
Thanks for your thoughts

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vandalour
Why not take him with you ?
I dont kill my friends when leaving town

I wish it was that simple.
Its not about killing him because im leaving, Its about me being his carer and i wont be there to give him the care that his fraile old body requires. I have to help him to his feet sometimes, i resently had to carry out to the toilet as his arthritis caused his front paw to lock up and he couldn't use it. My dog weighs over 50 kg (120lb). I cant see my ex being able to pick nugget up and help him when he needs it.
I cant take him with me, i can't find a place for myself and my mate.
And i have to already help him up off the ground more and more lately this will get worse as winter sets in.
Thats why i started this thread to get peoples opinions about options. As im not sure what to do still.

peace

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Is there any way you can arrange things with your ex so that you don't have to leave home in such a rush?

I'm not asking the circumstances of your divorce, that's your private business, but could the two of you make some arrangement that gives you more time to think things through?

Whatever difficulties you have between you, I am thinking that your ex may be fond of the dog and will want to do what's best for him too. It's understandable that she wouldn't be able to lift him so perhaps you could negotiate visiting times or even sleep on a sofa or in the garage so that you could be near to him.

I think you know what needs to be done and I think you will find the strength to do it, but if you feel that the decision is being pushed onto you prematurely you may find it a lot harder to live with later. Especially if it's in your mind that you could have tried some treatments if only the circumstances had been different.

I feel for you and know what you're going through. If you can only be absolutely sure that you are making the right decision, whatever it is, then you will be able to live with it afterwards. And that's why I'm suggesting you try to negotiate some time and thinking space - so long as your dog can bear it. If you think that you will only be prolonging his agony by asking for more time, then you have your answer.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Cubenis

You might not reply to many post's mate but when you do,........ Wow.
Thanks that was a sad but uplifting tale mate, And thank you for sharing it with me.
I needed the tissue's on that one.

Im sorry to hear about your Missy

And im sorry you had to come to the decision you made. But she is in a better place.
I had and female labrador named Tirra that was just like Missy, that we put to sleep a year a month ago. A week after the ex wife walked out the door. It wasn't one of the better weeks that i have had mate.

But Tirra needed to be put down as Tirra was 10 yrs old, but went blind and deaf a few years before.
We kept Tirra even against the thoughts of the vet. As Tirra could find her way around the house and the yard perfectly, But if we add some new she was in trouble. She went through life on smell and from the vibrations when i clapped, she was amazing to watch. And if i couldn't get tirra's attention i would just tell nugget to go and get her.Nugget was tirra' eye's and ears for nearly have her life and she rarely ever let his side.

But just like your Missy, tirra started to get confused, and when tirra got confused she started to walk into things.
So we chose to put tirra to sleep. It was a hard desision to make, I too stayed with her when we said our goodbyes. But it was the right thing to do. I brought Tirra home and buried her out the back yard in her blanket facing the house.
I wish now that i had Tirra cremated, now that im leaving her behind.
I plan on getting nugget cremated so i too can take him with me. But instead of roses( i smiled when i read she loved to smell the roses) I will scatter some ashes at the beach and then i will put some ashes in a key ring and carry him around with me till the day i die and even then take him with me. And i will talk to his ashes so therefore i will be just as crazy as you.

Im glad for you that your world is getting rosey again( pun intended)
Congratulation mate and i wish you and your partner all the best for the future.
And I hope Harley is causing you happiness mixed with those" trying" times. ( No keyboard, NO :lol

Thanks for your time and your words.
I have some thinking to do.
Peace mate, and congratulations again.

edit on 19-4-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by maddogron
your dog lived a good life.... let him go in peace. animals should not suffer...

Thanks maddogron.
He's had a great life and i wish not for my friend to suffer.
I have a hard decision to make.
Thanks for your thoughts.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by meathed

mate it is truly a crappy situation you're in.
my dog drives me up the wall but i love her and the thought of loosing her hurts.(she's a jack russel cross king charles cavalier, or jackalier.)
its a tuff choice, and i couldnt advise you either way because i dont know what i would do in the same situation.
my heart goes out to you and nugget mate.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by oggleboggle47
reply to post by meathed

The exact same thing happened to my first dog. She actually had bone cancer that broke her back, and she was in a great deal of pain at the end. My parents decided to put her down, which I think was the right thing to do. I know that you love your dog, and electing to have him euthanized may seem cruel, but I see it as the compassionate thing to do for him. He's probably in a lot of pain and pretty miserable. How would you feel if you couldn't move around on your own? Prolonging his life will only prolong his suffering. Ultimately, the decision is yours; just think about the welfare and the quality of life of your dog. That should be your primary concern when making this decision.
I'm really sorry about your dog and your current situation, I hope my two cents helps.

Thanks for your two cents worth, they mattered and they totalled up to more than just two cents, those two cents had to have added up to more than a buck.
I still dont know what to do with nugget, but i understand what your saying.
Im sitting watching nugg right now and he is getting pats off my friend and the smile that nugg has on his face is something to treasure.Im gunna be lost without him friend.

Thanks for your thoughts on this oggle.

Peace mate,
meathed
edit on 20-4-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
When i was 8 years old I had to put my dog down like old yeller. It was the hardest thing I had to do, he had a brain tumor and he was suffering, it needed to be done.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Hi all Im sorry i haven't replied back to you all yet, but i have been a little busy. ( Divorce sucks big time)
I will reply back to you all, but im having troubles getting time to do so at the moment.
The words you all have said, and the story's you have shared has meant alot to this meathead.
Thank you all.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by lunchmanstan
I would probably rather put down the EX and keep the dog. But on a more serious note my best friend is getting old to I fear his days are very numbered. I cant imagine him not being here to great me when I come home. Always so happy to see me no matter what happened during my work day.

But then again I know his arthritis is really hurting him and he suffers every day and night with pain. Damn tuff decision but it will have to be made. Good luck to you
I hope my boy will go quietly in the night.

Sorry all that I jumped the reply queue.
Lunchman, you cracked me up.
I did contemplate putting my ex down mate but that entailed a lengthy court procedure and a longer Prision sentence, so i chose against it, i dont know why i did

I cant imagine my dog, my Nugget not being at home to greet me too. That is the part i will miss the most. Like you said, its that unconditional love that they give you. Thats what i will miss, he is always happy to see me no matter what.
I wish that nugget would pass in the night too before arthritis finishes him off.
I still dont know what to do.
Thanks for your wishes of luck mate.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
If your friend is suffering, you need to do what is right for your friend.
It's painful (I know, I've had to do it a few times with different animals, cats mostly, from cancer, feline AIDS, etc.)

My last remaining cat is 17yrs old (which is ancient for a cat), and I know he's going soon, but currently, he's still outside and running around, so he's still happy).

My dogs are all about 7 years old, but they are little dogs. I really feel for what you're going through. It's never an easy decision...but you just have to weigh all the factors, and examine their quality of life.

Thanks Gazrok.
Cats or dogs it really doesn't matter, they are still our friends mate.
17 years for a cat is awesome, congratulations, i have a few mates that have cats and they mean the world to them too but 17yrs is something really special.
I still dont know what to do with nugg yet.
But i thank you for caring Gazrok and i thank you for your kind words. I still dont know how to weigh this all up yet though.
Im weighing everything up but im looking at nugg as i type and i dont know weather i can say goodbye yet.
Some times he looks good, some times not.
Im lost my friend.

Thanks you Gazrok

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Hi again.

Don't worry about replying to my post.

You've probably got enough on your plate as it is.

All the best.

I.A.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by meathed

I,ll tell ya wot,you think nuggs one in a million,but I think nugg thinks your one in a million.
Truly you are one in a million,thank you for your honesty in this very personal matter.A inspiration mate and a breath of fresh air
take care man

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I have had cats and dogs all my life.
one died in pain, I had to have him put to rest.
but if they just get ill or can not work.
why lose a friend? at a time you need one.

I have seen a video of a dog with no frount legs.
he had this from birth.
But he runs around on two legs.
the vet said the pup should be put down.
and now he lifes a long life.

only if my dog/cat was in pain would I end that pain.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illegal Alien
My heart goes out to ya mate.

Horible decision to have to make, and very painful.

I had to make the same decision for my beloved cat Merlin, after a prolonged unwillingness to let go, despite the inevitable.....

Now I feel it was the best thing I could have done for him, and I am certain he appreciates my setting him free from a body which was giving him nothing but pain and suffering.

Your dog is so fortunate to have a friend like you, who has cared so deeply for him for so long, and his situation would only be made worse if he had to lose you on top of that.

I believe even death cannot seperate true friends, and even though the body is no longer around for direct physical contact, the self, or spirit continues and is always willing to be around when needed.

I can't add much more than what has already been said already by others, but as another poster said, DO NOT give yourself a hard time about it, and know that whatever you do, it will be in the best of interests for your friend and companion.

All the very best.....

I.A.
edit on 18-4-2011 by Illegal Alien because: spelling

edit on 18-4-2011 by Illegal Alien because: (no reason given)

Thanks I.A for your kind, kind words.
Im still unsure what to do friend, im looking at nugg now and to just the thought of saying goodbye to him in one way or another is just tearing me up inside.
Im sorry to hear about your Merlin( he must of been a magical little friend).
I to believe that death will not be the end, but that doesn't make it any easier to say goodbye.
I have a week to decide, and i really dont know what to do still.
You have given me more think about.

Thanks again I.A.
Peace mate, and take care.

Ps i told you i would get back to ya.
You gave your time to care, thanks again friend.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by RelentlessLurker

Gday R.L

Thanks for your reply and wisdom on this matter.
I love Rotty's too, we had a rotty boy name Duke when i was just a young'en. Not as impressive as your rescue dog,( ive always been fasinated by dog's with job's ), I will never forget Duke. I use to use him for rugby league practice, i would take him to the park get him to sit and stay, and then i would try running away from him, but it never took him long to catch me.

I haven't tried duralactin but i will give it go if i leave nugg with my ex, i have had nugget on glucosamine for a couple of years now, but it doesn't seem to help that much anymore, im thinking time is catching up on my old mate.
I understand what your saying about getting another dog to keep nugg active, but it is just impossible right now, we had a female lab named Tirra that was 10yrs old that kept nugg active( especially at "mating" season, You should have seen nuggets hips move then :@@
But we had to put Tirra to sleep last year around the same time my wife moved out. It seemed that nugg went through a bout of depression that he still hasn't got back out of.

I live only 50metres away from a park, but nugg is having trouble just going over there. He even puffs for breath just walking out the back to the toilet. So even the local hoodlum kids wouldn't be able to help by taking nugg for a walk. ( And how did you know that there are plenty of hoodlums around here
:wow

Nugget's day does mainly consists of sleeping and more sleeping and it's hard to get him stimulated.
The only time he gets motivated is when my mate's come over with their kids, nugget loves kids and all the kids love nugget. But i have to move out in a week and i wont see my mates as much and im not sure where i will end up.
I still dont know what to do for my Nugget.

Thanks for your thoughts on this on mate you have given me some more to contemplate.
Peace mate

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join