It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HELP ME, PLEASE. Do i kill my dog?? He's my best friend.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
This isnt a rant , but i didn't know where to put this thread.

Hello everyone, I need your help.
I have a question to ask all of you humans that have a furry little pet that they call their friend.
Q..... What do i do?? Do i put my dog down or not??

I have a problem. Im in the middle of a divorce and i have to leave my house. But I have a golden labrador that i named NUGGET. I found Nugget when i was a 18 and nugg was 6 weeks old. Now im 33 and nugg is 15yrs and 3months(but who is counting). Every day for the last 15yrs my loyal dog has never left my side. For 15yrs my dog has never failed to amaze me, strangers and my stupid mates with his knowledge and smarts.
While my divorce has been sorted by strangers, my dog has been dying.
Over the last few weeks my dog, my companion, Nugget, well....... nugget has had trouble getting himself up off the ground, his back legs aren't working properly so he can't push himself up, and so i have to pick nugg up off the ground so he can walk sometimes. So I have taken Nugg to the vets, and the vet has told me that Nuggs back is old and frail, the vet told me nugget has a bad back and if im not around to help my dog up, that i should think about putting my dog down.
I know from looking in nuggets eyes that he still has some life left in him.
The problem is that i am in the middle of a divorce and i have to leave my dog(nugget) with my ex if i want nugget to live on. But my ex wont be able to pick nugget up to help him when nugg needs it..
I have to move out in 9 days time. I have a dog that hasn't left my side in 15yrs, do i leave him with my ex or do i put him down??
What do you all think i do?
Do i put nug down or do i leave him with my ex?
Please give your thoughts, i need to hear them.
I need your help friends.
I need your thoughts.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
If the dog his little quality of life, tell him 'bout the rabbits. figuratively.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
your dog lived a good life.... let him go in peace. animals should not suffer...

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by meathed

I know how you feel mate. This is a truely sad experience.

I love my dog like my own son, and i know how you feel about this difficult dicision.

I will give my opinion on this. If the dog is in obvious discomfort and pain, and considering the age of the dog, i would suggest putting him down.

Do not let your good friend suffer. As dogs get older, their rear legs do become frail and brittle, their backs give in, it is unfortunate, i know, but it is a fact. If you have lots of money though, there is medical treatments to give your dog some extra years though.

This is just my opinion. I wish you good luck and strength in whatever you decide.

VVV

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by meathed

Wow that's a really tough call friend. If it were me, I'd take a long hard look at his quality of life. People are selfish when it comes to pets and will keep them around, in pain, longer than they really should. If he's actually in pain the answer is quite clear, sad, but clear. Animals can't tell you they are in pain and they go to great lengths to hide it so it's hard to tell how hurt the guy really is.

If it's currently only a mobility problem I would look around my local area for people willing to take him in, foster parents for pets do indeed exist. You never know there might be group capable of giving him the car needed in his final years.

I'm a cat person and I've been dreading the day I have to deal with this since we brought the first kitten home. I'm the type of person that, if not for my wife, would never have had a pet for this very reason.

I'm very sorry no matter what happens it's going to be tough.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I agree with meathed. We are selfish and want that companionship. Especially while going through a divorce or any other traumatic experience.
If he is going to have to stay with your ex anyway, you may as well consider putting him down. Don't feel guilty for doing this. It's wonderful that he's lived to 15. Most start having issues around 10 and then few make it past 12 or 13. (I work with animals)
You have given him a good life. The timing isn't ideal... but I would strongly consider putting him down.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I am so sorry to hear things are hard right now. I'd like to say that first. Secondly, there is really nothing anyone cal tell you that will make this choice for you. It's something you have to ask yourself, and do what you feel in your heart is best for your friend.

I grew up with a black lab named Buster. He was my best friend. Buster lived to the ripe age of 17, when we found out his arthritis and bone degeneration had gotten so bad his spine and pelvis were deteriorating. The vet told us he would never have a day where he wasn't in pain, and that eventually he would be paralyzed. We opted to give him a peaceful rest. It took a lot of crying and arguing, and I fought for my best friend. In the end though, I came to the conclusion that I didn't want to make him live in a failing, pain wracked body because I didn't want to let him go. It was probably the hardest thing I ever did growing up.

I still wonder if I made the right choice, and that was almost 15 years ago. All I can tell you, do what is best for your friend. I know it's not the best answer in the world, but like I said before...nobody can answer that but you and Nugget.

I wish you all the best of luck. Again, I am so sorry for what is happening to you right now.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by maddogron

Our yellow lab was suffering greatly so we took her for a final "ride". She loved to ride with us, always eager to jump in the back seat and go. We od'd her on her meds and drove through the countryside.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Wow that is a tough one. I personally think that you should put him down and let him die peacefully instead of him dying slowly with your ex.

But good luck on whatever you decide to do.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by meathed

Explanation: S&F! & Thanks for seeking help!

Here...

Raised Dog Mats [google search]

That way your loved one will already be off the ground and therefor have an easier time standing up on their own.

And at their age in doggy yrs don't you think they deserve their own bed by now?

Personal Disclosure: I hope that helps!

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I had to put down my 15 year old Dachshund last year due to spinal issues. I would advise to handle this yourself, rather than letting your soon-to-be-ex do something you might regret. Nugget is your dog, you will know if it's time to let it go.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Dear Friend, I have been in your situation so I really feel for you. Do your best friend the favor of being able to die with dignity surrounded by those that he loves. And do yourself the favor of not beating yourself up. And if you do nothing else, when the time comes, be there with him otherwise you'll regret it for the rest of your life.

My thoughts are with, take care.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by meathed

arrrr bless ya heart man,I,ve got a cat who's 11 an also dread it.that said I always say I,d have her put down if at anytime she needed me 24/7!!.
however....,put in that situation I,d be second guessing myself,I d spend the week with nugg and then let him rest,at least you won't bein worrying if your ex partner is coping and he may even die of a broken heart you leaving my friend,I feel so much for you and hope that wheneva you do decide your a good pet owner and will only do the best for good old nugg in the end. hugs to you,all the best.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I think, deep down you already know the decision you need to make, but can't bring yourself to accept it.
Acknowledging and accepting that fact will help you deal with the emotional side of it all, but I know - so easier said then done.

Don't run from the responsibility though. It will make you a stronger, better person for facing up to what inevitably must happen, sooner or later.
Spending vast amounts of money to prolong his life but a short while longer will only really benefit those you give the money to, I feel. Although, it might give you that needed extra time to come to terms with things if you really can't handle the reality just yet. It mostly depends on how much he is suffering though. Sometimes it can be difficult to see beyond our own pain to that of those we love.

I'm feel your pain. It's hard to lose those you care deeply for, I know.
Althought we've all gotta go sometime, friend. 15 years is a long time for dogs. He's lived long.

Don't let anyone else take him on his final journey either, no matter how hard it may be to do what is a truly emotionally traumatic thing to a friend - he will want you there and you should be there for the end.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Same situation with my black lab. Try feeding you dog Nutro Natural Choice - High Protein. My girl loves it, much more than the Happy Hips recommended by the vet. And it seems to be 10x more effective. Good luck!

There are several things you can try to help improve your dog's quality of life and prolong the inevitable. There will be times you would give anything for just one more day with your unconditional companion. However, there will be a day when you go to pick your dog up off the ground or help her up the stairs, and she looks you in the eye just so. Then you will know, it's time. It should be obvious if you are in tune with her as much as she is with you...

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Why not take him with you ?
I dont kill my friends when leaving town

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by meathed

I don't usually talk much on ats but i can relate to this and have an opinion.

I recently had to put my best friend Missy down. Missy was a golden mixed with a cocker spaniel. She was my best friend since i was 8 im now 26 she was 18 years old. She went with me everywhere every time i moved she always was there. I came home she was there she was my first puppy my first true friend.

Recently she had been getting confused when going outside getting lost and going to a neighbors waiting to be let in. she was having the same trouble getting off the floor her back legs would give out on her she couldn't really go up stairs at all. she had went deaf about a year before she stopped responding to commands and sounds but could still see. This year she started losing vision but about 1 foot in front of her face.

She was still very playful wanted attention waged her tail stayed by my side wanted to spend every second as close to me as possible. Well i had a falling out similar to yours albeit i was not married but a fairly rough breakup which made me have to move and i couldn't take Missy with me i couldn't afford the extra $100 a month for a pet deposit. So i had to put her down.

Everyone told me well she had a good life and dont let her suffer but i let my own greed i guess get in the way i didnt want to let her go i saw a ton of life in her big round eyes. Im a grown man i dont usually cry but the thought of losing my best friend from childhood made me ball for hours the night before. it wasnt easy. I kept trying not to cry as the next day wore on.

A pet especially a dog youve had for a large portion of your life is a part of you a part of your family. youll never forget them i assure you that but it does get easier. I ended up putting her down staying through the whole procedure holding her as the anesthesia kicked in and telling her i loved her even though she couldn't hear me.

She went through everything and i watched her pass away i wont lie it wasnt easy but i know she isnt hurting anymore she isnt confused anymore shes in a better place even if thats an eternal nap shes not in pain. the first few days i regretted it thought i should of done more or tried harder to keep here but as time has passed ive realized she never left me. she will always be here in my heart. i had her cremated her ashes here with me until i have a house and i can spread them in a rose garden (she always loved to smell roses when we walked)

I still talk to her ashes even if people thought i was crazy she was a loved one and i believe she can hear me somewhere and it brings an easy feeling to my heart knowing that she feels better. That she cant feel pain.

I have since moved again in with another woman we plan on getting married we are very much in love i swore id never have another dog after that but this weekend i adopted an 8 week old pug chihuahua mix we named him Harley. I fell in love with him he is my little man now who just got told not to chew on the keyboard lol.

I dont love him more than Missy i do love him as much. it does get easier. I think that its going to hurt when you have to put Nugget down but it will get easier you will keep trucking. You may even find another companion to love just as much as i have.

Ease his suffering ask yourself in a reverse roll would i want him to do it for me. know its quick and painless and that he will move to another place. It will get easier. Love knows no bounds even after death.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by meathed

The exact same thing happened to my first dog. She actually had bone cancer that broke her back, and she was in a great deal of pain at the end. My parents decided to put her down, which I think was the right thing to do. I know that you love your dog, and electing to have him euthanized may seem cruel, but I see it as the compassionate thing to do for him. He's probably in a lot of pain and pretty miserable. How would you feel if you couldn't move around on your own? Prolonging his life will only prolong his suffering. Ultimately, the decision is yours; just think about the welfare and the quality of life of your dog. That should be your primary concern when making this decision.
I'm really sorry about your dog and your current situation, I hope my two cents helps.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
ive got a really old rotty that needs help getting up too. its her hip. heres what i had to do:

1) started giving her glucosemine tablets everyday. its cheap and youll notice improvement in a few days.

2) stumbled upon something called duralactin, its a little more expensive but still affordable. and its made out of some patented milk protein byproduct, but works REALLY well. much better than glucosimine when compared by itself, but together they work GREAT.

3) short frequent walks, this is probably more important than the pills. the pills dont do anything if the dog doesnt move around. it took my dog about 2-3 weeks before she could get up on her own, but after that i havent had to help her.

4) got a puppy. this not only improved the dogs spirit, but kept her more active. she didnt like the puppy at first but thats a natural reaction for an old dog. even if they seem impatient with the new dog, their instincts eventually kick in and they will start interacting. even if they dont play with each other and the little one bugs the old one, its the interaction and small movements that matter. even though she would often scold the puppy, i could tell her overall spirits improved dramatically.

now she gets up all by herself, comes and goes as she pleases. the only times she struggles is when its really really cold, or if we stopped the active routine for a number of days.

in your situation youll probably have to pay a hoodlum neighbor kid to come walk them during the day. for some help in the beginning stages, use buffered children aspirin before and after the walk. cut one in half and hide it in a piece of bred with some peanut butter. then give them the other half after. soon you will only need it after the walk.

after a while you can cut the glucosimine as long as you stay on the duralactin. and nugget should be waltzing around like he use to.(hopefully).

if any of this is not do-able, and the majority of his day consists on laying in the same spot, you might want to consider the big sleep.

my dog was a rescue dog so i dont know her age. but she was on this for like 2 years before i no longer had to give her anything. but they gotta stay active. even if it means just moving to the other side of the yard to get away from the puppy.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
If your friend is suffering, you need to do what is right for your friend.
It's painful (I know, I've had to do it a few times with different animals, cats mostly, from cancer, feline AIDS, etc.)

My last remaining cat is 17yrs old (which is ancient for a cat), and I know he's going soon, but currently, he's still outside and running around, so he's still happy).

My dogs are all about 7 years old, but they are little dogs. I really feel for what you're going through. It's never an easy decision...but you just have to weigh all the factors, and examine their quality of life.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join