It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HELP ME, PLEASE. Do i kill my dog?? He's my best friend.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
My heart goes out to ya mate.

Horible decision to have to make, and very painful.

I had to make the same decision for my beloved cat Merlin, after a prolonged unwillingness to let go, despite the inevitable.....

Now I feel it was the best thing I could have done for him, and I am certain he appreciates my setting him free from a body which was giving him nothing but pain and suffering.

Your dog is so fortunate to have a friend like you, who has cared so deeply for him for so long, and his situation would only be made worse if he had to lose you on top of that.

I believe even death cannot seperate true friends, and even though the body is no longer around for direct physical contact, the self, or spirit continues and is always willing to be around when needed.

I can't add much more than what has already been said already by others, but as another poster said, DO NOT give yourself a hard time about it, and know that whatever you do, it will be in the best of interests for your friend and companion.

All the very best.....

I.A.
edit on 18-4-2011 by Illegal Alien because: spelling

edit on 18-4-2011 by Illegal Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Thanks everyone for your thoughts, words and wishes. You have said words to me i needed to hear.
Thank you all.
I will reply to EVERY one of you all even if it takes me all night.

Thank you all.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
reply to post by meathed

I know how you feel mate. This is a truely sad experience.

I love my dog like my own son, and i know how you feel about this difficult dicision.

I will give my opinion on this. If the dog is in obvious discomfort and pain, and considering the age of the dog, i would suggest putting him down.

Do not let your good friend suffer. As dogs get older, their rear legs do become frail and brittle, their backs give in, it is unfortunate, i know, but it is a fact. If you have lots of money though, there is medical treatments to give your dog some extra years though.

This is just my opinion. I wish you good luck and strength in whatever you decide.

VVV

Thank you for your kind words VVV.
My dog, my furry little friend is hurting mate i dont think an operation will do him any good at all. I talked to the vet, and he stated what you and others have stated, it maybe time to say goodbye. im just trying to delay the inevetable by putting nugget through more pain.

Thanks again for your opinion VVV.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by meathed

Wow that's a really tough call friend. If it were me, I'd take a long hard look at his quality of life. People are selfish when it comes to pets and will keep them around, in pain, longer than they really should. If he's actually in pain the answer is quite clear, sad, but clear. Animals can't tell you they are in pain and they go to great lengths to hide it so it's hard to tell how hurt the guy really is.

If it's currently only a mobility problem I would look around my local area for people willing to take him in, foster parents for pets do indeed exist. You never know there might be group capable of giving him the car needed in his final years.

I'm a cat person and I've been dreading the day I have to deal with this since we brought the first kitten home. I'm the type of person that, if not for my wife, would never have had a pet for this very reason.

I'm very sorry no matter what happens it's going to be tough.

Thanks mate.
Its the pain part that matters the most. And he is in pain now.
It doesn't matter if we are cat or dog people, they are still our friends.
I still dont know what to do.
Thanks again

edit on 18-4-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ampar84
I agree with meathed. We are selfish and want that companionship. Especially while going through a divorce or any other traumatic experience.
If he is going to have to stay with your ex anyway, you may as well consider putting him down. Don't feel guilty for doing this. It's wonderful that he's lived to 15. Most start having issues around 10 and then few make it past 12 or 13. (I work with animals)
You have given him a good life. The timing isn't ideal... but I would strongly consider putting him down.

Gday ampar,
You are correct, i have been selfish through all of this( divorce),
Its not leaving nugget with my ex that matters, its the fact that i want to be near nugg when he passes on.
I know i should be blessed with having nugget for 15 yrs mate but it still its gunna hurt saying goodbye.

Peace.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Dogs are able to "pass to the other side" very easily. They don't know about death like we do.

I think that he would pass pretty quickly if you were to leave him, but i think he would rather spend his last moments with you

It is a very difficult thing to do, and many tears will be shed, but it is a natural part of life

He had a good 15 years

See if you could have a vet come to the house for the euthanasia.

sorry for the pain you will go through, but it is something all pet owners must endure.

I have lost 2 dogs in the past 8 years, and have 2 dogs right now, both over 10.....so you are not alone

Be strong, his memory will live with you forever

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by BioStatistic

Bio, you made me cry another tear.
Im sorry to hear your story of how you fought to save good old Buster..
Buster was very much like nugget is right now, Arthritis is kicking in on old nugg, he whimpers when he tries to get up, and then i got to pick him up. Nuggs hurting friend.
I still dont know what to do?

Thank you for your thoughts mate.
Peace .
Meathed

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by TerryMcGuire
reply to post by maddogron

Our yellow lab was suffering greatly so we took her for a final "ride". She loved to ride with us, always eager to jump in the back seat and go. We od'd her on her meds and drove through the countryside.

Sounds like my little female lab, Tirra (the terror), she loved the car trips too.
Im glad you were able to give your little lady the ride of her life.

Thanks for trusting us all with another sad tale friend

Peace mate.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Horrible thing to go through but you need to make the right choice for your animal. I had to put down two dogs and a cat two years ago. They were part of my family and I loved them to death but they were suffering and I had to do what was right for them..not me.

I'm so sorry you are in this position and I wish you peace with your decision.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaLogos
reply to post by meathed

Explanation: S&F! & Thanks for seeking help!

Here...

Raised Dog Mats [google search]

That way your loved one will already be off the ground and therefor have an easier time standing up on their own.

And at their age in doggy yrs don't you think they deserve their own bed by now?

Personal Disclosure: I hope that helps!

Thanks for your photo's of dog bedding devices.
But my nugget......... well lets just say i have tried and tried and tried to give him a "Proper" bed.
However, nugget refuses to sleep on it. Nugget has not slept outside or on a dog bed for years. Nugg is currently asleep on my joya mattress infront of me infront of the gas heater. So what ever photo you showed me, well nugg has the deluxe human sized model.

Thanks Omega.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Natasliah
I had to put down my 15 year old Dachshund last year due to spinal issues. I would advise to handle this yourself, rather than letting your soon-to-be-ex do something you might regret. Nugget is your dog, you will know if it's time to let it go.

Thanks for your words, and im sorry about your old dachshund.

I know i should handle this myself. I know he is mine.
But i still dont know when is the right time to say goodbye.

Thanks you Natasliah.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllInMyHead
Dear Friend, I have been in your situation so I really feel for you. Do your best friend the favor of being able to die with dignity surrounded by those that he loves. And do yourself the favor of not beating yourself up. And if you do nothing else, when the time comes, be there with him otherwise you'll regret it for the rest of your life.

My thoughts are with, take care.

Thank you AllinMyHead for your thoughts, and thanks for speaking from experience.
I want my little furry mate to die with diginty too mate, but i cannot promise that i wont beat myself up over it though

And dont you worry mate, i will be there at nugg's end. I have enough regrets in life already, so i can guarantee i will be there for nugg.
You take care too my friend.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by cut3ypie
reply to post by meathed

arrrr bless ya heart man,I,ve got a cat who's 11 an also dread it.that said I always say I,d have her put down if at anytime she needed me 24/7!!.
however....,put in that situation I,d be second guessing myself,I d spend the week with nugg and then let him rest,at least you won't bein worrying if your ex partner is coping and he may even die of a broken heart you leaving my friend,I feel so much for you and hope that wheneva you do decide your a good pet owner and will only do the best for good old nugg in the end. hugs to you,all the best.

Hey cut3y.
Im already second guessing myself as i type.
Im worried about nugg and him having a broken heart. But i still dont know what to do???
Ive been spending some good quality time with nugg over the last few months as i know he wont be around much longer.
Thanks again for your kind words and for caring cut3y.
Thanks for your hugs too.( They mean lots)

peace

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
well, whatever your decision, try to partake in the things nugget likes while you still can. when my dog's time came we and him all knew what he wanted, his own personal large pizza, made to his liking. he got a little taste of heaven while still on earth

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I am so sorry you have to make this decision, but in the in it is what is best for him. I just had to put down my 15 month old, due to bad hips. (and bad breeder!) He was 170 lbs. We had to help him up, and he could not hold himself up to go to the bathroom. He may act like he still have life left in him, but what is the quality of that life if he can't stand up by himself?
We were very lucky to have a vet come to our home to put him to sleep, so I could hold him and comfort him. It was like he just fell asleep in my lap.
I would investigate that option if you are able.
It is never easy, but you have to step back, and just see his quality of life. Love him enough to do the right thing.

Again, I really feel for you and wish you the best.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
If you wait to long you will have horrible painful memories and regret that you let him suffer, I wish i could go back, I waited to long and a day of crises came and I could get any help on a holliday and the suffering went on and on and the crying oh I wish i had done the right thing earlier, i knew in my heart i just would not take action :-(

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I had a dog that had similar issues. He got to the point where he couldn't stand up, so we had him put to sleep. It was the humane thing to do. I think when the vet came to do it, the dog understood what was happening and was ok with it.
Sometimes it's just time to put your pet to sleep, there's nothing wrong with that. I'm sure he doesn't want to be suffering.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by meathed

He has lived a long, full, and happy life.

Let him end it as he lived it - with you and feeling loved.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by meathed

Why does Nugget have to stay with the Ex? If the dog is in pain then it is selfish for you to keep him alive. If the dog is not in pain then you let him live. I had to put my Rotty down two years ago and it was the worst day of my life and I wouldn't wish that pain on anyone.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
It's sad that you have to part with your friend at this painful time in your life, but it may be for the best. Make it your mission to see him into the next realm peacefully. Our dog was getting old and growing lumps/tumours which didn't seem painful to her, but in her last week in our family, she lost her appetite, and was getting weaker. We were considering putting her down.
Soon after that day, one morning I let her out for her pee, and we never saw her again. We searched for weeks to no avail. Most people think she went off to die, and took herself far enough away so as not to attract predators to her family (something wolves do in nature as well).
Please say goodbye to your friend, make his last days as wonderful and peacefule as possible, as it is far more painful not to be able to give your friend that at least...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join