It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is rap "music" dumbing kids down?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
What you **&$$$%# &%$*#$@@ dudes takin about? Don't you know the $##%%$$ is $%%#@ in the **&#$$$.

Man, get down with it. It's da bomb....

(how'd I do?)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by daggyz

Absolutly horrible. I think you might have just insulted every black person here. :p

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by StopFearMongering

Yes Sage Francis! Possibly the one of the best example of education through music. Sick song. Infact......

www.youtube.com...

If you havn't heard this song before give it a listen. I highly advise it

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   

This is song is a MUST WATCH. it address everything happening on earth right now....for all the people thinking rap music is dumbing down people.dig deeper...like all of them stated in this thread MAINSTREAM MUSIC(not only rap) is the main cause for dumbing people down to think, drugs, clubs , girls and money are the main priority of living life....smh
edit on 16-4-2011 by Noobastronomer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Here DMX explains how the industry works. And now hes in jail. Everyone should watch this.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Hi everyone and thanks for posting! It's obvious my thread started biased,and I guess I would take the quotations off "music" but it is way too late.I wasn't expecting a med.large thread. After listening to some of these songs I can say that there is good rap but like many of you have stated mainstream is an abomination."Mainstream rock" just sucks royally,it does not have the horrible message that "mainstream rap" advocates.I suggest checking out mark of the beast on page one for a good rap tune.I will try to personally respond to you as I review the thread.Thank you.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by TheKnave
Thanks for remembering about the conspiracy part of the thread! I agree.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by contrafear
Exactly.If you are on this site you believe TPTB controll msm.MSM controlls opinion trends etc.Statistics do not lie as you do not see gangbangers driving around listening to Joe Satriani or Eric Johnson.They know how powerful music is and how it affects people.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Personally i think the reason you dont hear alot of intellectual rap is because there isnt any.. You gotta go listen to real hiphop to hear that.. Sadly rap is what makes money these days, I doubt its a conspiracy though. And as for the written and spoken word, it's constantly evolving.. Its natural it changes over years. Just my 5 cents (no not 50 cent ha ha)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Really?

This thread was relevant about 17 years ago. Pop music is the real threat to civilization!!!

I'd rather listen to Tupac then Justin Timberlake or Miley 'effing Cyrus!!!!

But then again, I'd also listen to anything that was recorded before 1978 then anything that was recorded after as well...

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
What a retarded thread.
Mainstream anything can be arguably dumbing people down, be it rap, rock, etc.

What are you wanting. essays?
What form of music isn't a pretty shallow explanation of what a day in the life is like...

Yes, jay-z's big pimpin is sexist and horrible, but motley crew's girls girls girls is totally genius food.

As far as rap songs "worthy of a conspiracy website"..well my friend, I give you..the juice.

So ultimately ops...your simply saying you don't like rap music, therefore its made for idiots...sure, whatever...go back to sleep and keep with your narrow viewpoint of the world...best not to learn about things when you can just judge
yo
naa mean..ya, shizzle for rizzle

-just shakes his head-

Haha! I forgot all about Rap News! Dude's got skills.

As far as your question, "what form of music isn't a shallow explanation of what a day in the life is like?"

Answer = Death Metal.
I'm pretty sure a normal day in the life of most can't be summed up by songs like Hammer Smashed Face - Cannibal Corpse, or Wrestling With Feces - Goratory, or Pierced From Within - Suffocation. Just sayin.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

Amen!! Students sing this crap in the halls at school during passing time. They talk their trash to each other. Boys have no respect for the girls, or female teachers. The boys think nothing of padding a girls butt, or, in one case grabbing a "feel" of a girls breast. It's out of control.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
You young'uns do realise that Rap is just badly spelt poetry?

Rap of course has something to do with racial or suburban inequality's or quality of life wherever you live, so a dumbing down it is definitely not, dumbing down has to do with the quality of the lessons in school and believe it or not the food you ingest.

I do not like Rap or House or Techno, sorry I'm old school classic Heavy Rock music fan, but I have to say a lot of those"Rappers" are very good musicians who work hard for the money they make and are in no way "dumb".

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Nas and Damian Marley, amazing duo.
If you're an ATSer and you don't like this song or get the message, you don't belong here.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Rap in it's true form is an art, it is poetry. A true rap artist has a story to tell, all of these "rappers" who talk about nothing but money, cars, drugs, women, etc are destroying what was once a good thing. I cannot blame the OP for his opinion here, mainstream rap is disgusting and 99 songs out of 100 played on any rap station on the radio will be completely pathetic. Today there are only a hand full of artists that are worth listening to, the two closest to "mainstream" would probably be Lupe Fiasco and Common, Nas is good too but he doesn't make much music these days. People like Immortal Technique are also sending the right kind of message, but due to his content I believe he will always remain labeled as "underground". No way in hell "they" would ever let him reach the charts.

Is rap dumbing down kids? Perhaps, but if nobody liked all of the trash on the radio (Soulja Boy, Gucci Mane, Waka Flocka, etc etc), there would be no demand for it. So really, you'd have to come to the conclusion that they are choosing to be dumbed down rather than educated and motivated by the true artists out there.
edit on 16-4-2011 by Perplexity because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Perplexity
Rap in it's true form is an art, it is poetry. A true rap artist has a story to tell, all of these "rappers" who talk about nothing but money, cars, drugs, women, etc are destroying what was once a good thing. I cannot blame the OP for his opinion here, mainstream rap is disgusting and 99 songs out of 100 played on any rap station on the radio will be completely pathetic. Today there are only a hand full of artists that are worth listening to, the two closest to "mainstream" would probably be Lupe Fiasco and Common, Nas is good too but he doesn't make much music these days. People like Immortal Technique are also sending the right kind of message, but due to his content I believe he will always remain labeled as "underground". No way in hell "they" would ever let him reach the charts.

Is rap dumbing down kids? Perhaps, but if nobody liked all of the trash on the radio (Soulja Boy, Gucci Mane, Waka Flocka, etc etc), there would be no demand for it. So really, you'd have to come to the conclusion that they are choosing to be dumbed down rather than educated and motivated by the true artists out there.
edit on 16-4-2011 by Perplexity because: (no reason given)

I can't say that those who speak on nothing educational are destroying rap. Someone like Young Jeezy is not destroying rap on any level not all his songs are about drugs. I personally thing he has a lot of energy behind his songs and its fun to listen too. You rap what you know and you are telling your experience/story in life. "They wanna know why I talk 8balls all day. You should try standing around with 8balls all day"-Young Jeezy. Most people accept the notion that rap is dumbing kids down because they have started using "slang". The fact that they cant understand what this kids growing up are saying makes them label them dumb they cant use proper grammar so they must be dumb.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Nobama

The Video you posted is a Brief History Lesson I think ! I would NOT consider it dumbing down

Tho Most rappers Rap about the Life situation they were brought around ! and sometimes its a Urban Battlefield some join gangs just in order to Survive

I remember When i was in Boot camp Paris Island ! I had Conversation with a Guy from New York City Brooklyn He said he Joined up because he said he had a better chance of Survival in the Marines then in the Streets in Brooklyn he also told me In the Streets from where im from You need to learn to use Weapons
if you want to live! that was 20 years ago! I remember his Last Name Blackwell ohh he wanted to try to get in the Music Business Rapping ! & R&B , on Sundays The Drill instructors had him Sing and was He was awesome

and Still if you look on this MAP ! ! I can see where Black well is coming from ! about his survival ! in the Streets!!! Check for yourself !

Brooklyn, NY Crime Information and Alerts
Brooklyn, NY Crime Reports, Crime News, and Crime Statistics
Source : spotcrime.com...

Me i wouldn't have a Clue , not much Shooting Crime here ! but i can say people can turn up missing like Jimmy Hoffa where im from!

Jedi Mind Tricks- Uncommon Valor (A Vietnam Story)

Reminds me of this Song being Blared in the Barracks ! back in the early 90s

K9 POSSE,THIS BEAT IS MILITARY

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
No, i dont think there was a conspiracy to around hip hop AT FIRST. but TPTB realized that it was going to become a force to be reckoned with, so the record execs began to TELL rappers what to rap about. all of a sudden you couldn't get mainstream success in rap music without being disrespectful to women, or talking about killing people and those that refused to rap about bull# just got swept aside while the ones that were willing got elevated to damn near god-among-men status. Whatever black people do, everybody else pretty much wants to copy it. So of course they would use the most popular genre of music on the planet in order to further their goals. I for one, only listen to hip hop that was made before 1992. before it was tainted by rich white record execs telling rappers what to rap about.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by EarthwormJim

Is rap "music" dumbing kids down?

Right off the bat, I don't think that 'rap' can even be considered music. It is a form of entertainment and expression, but in general, it's less about music than the words.

Most people don't realize it but, Johnny Cash made his living by talking his songs and this was 30-40 years ago. He wasn't any better at carrying a tune than today's rap artists, lol.

Then there were those Gregorian chants sung by monks...

As far as 'dumbing down'? I dunno. Youth is all about perceived immortality and delighting in stupidity. To embrace one's ignorance is strictly for the young. Generations untold have survived their own forays into the meaningless and ridiculous. There's no reason why today's kids can't emerge from the fog of youth, rap or no rap, and become useful citizens...

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by meathed

Originally posted by SirKnightE Originally posted by meathed Yo, Yo Waz up ya all. Whyz ya tawking bout wap like that yo. Stop the disin of the wap muzic yo, or eyes pop a cap in ya ass, respect YO. That was worthless, The only rap most you ever hear is what on television and most radio station, most of that rap is actually influenced by and promoted by non-rappers, and usually they are non-black... but that is a more sensitive subject that most of you would consider false info anyway.... But you would be suprised who pushes the most bullsh!t on mainstream radio, the same people that pushed the bullsh!t drugs into urban neighbor hoods. Stop the stupidity please I have heard enough of the rap crap to stand by my statement that i think its crap. And im not being stupid because i no longer listen to the rap crap.( hey look i made a rhyme). So i say you are the one acting stupid listening to it and defending it, respect YO, sup
\

Isn't the whole point of this website to DENY ignorance. why the hell are you even on ATS??

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join