It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is rap "music" dumbing kids down?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilBat
I admit I Only like a few artists of rap
and I do think there are Dumb Down artists of all
kinds of music

comes to mind

and

there are all kinds of dumb down artists
just try to ignore them,

when you here a kid / teenager singing some of these
ask them if they heard of
" insert you favorite here"

rebecca black didnt make that song she only sang it
(still dont like her) just saying

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
All I tend to listen to is "rap" music and have been since Bone Thugs Faces of Death fell into my possession....but you got to define which genre of rap music you are referring to. I don't think any rap music is going to dumb down kids. Gangsta rap is probably what you are referring to and even that I can't see how that would dumb down kids. Most rappers will mention in their songs to basically don't be like them as far as the street life or drug dealer life goes. Its just a story if you are weak minded enough to let a story call the shots for you then you deserve whatever ending you get. It is just music you as the listener have a responsibility to not allow that alone to make decisions for you...good or bad you still got decisions to make during and after the song.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I have a huge problem with tagging an entire genre of music with possible mind control, brainwashing, dumbing down or de-educating people. Rap/Hip Hop music, like any other genre of music, has many different sub genres & styles that fall under that general label. And there's obviously many different levels of success that a "rapper" or rap artist can or will reach in their career.

It's no different than Tipper Gore's infamously retarded attempt to censor Heavy Metal music, claiming that it's content was a danger to children. Thank god artists from the Metal genre, like Dee Snider of Twisted Sister, had the balls to stand up & voice their outrage at the hearings. It was 100% badass when Snider walked into the room, full of nicely dressed government officials, wearing ripped jeans, a t-shirt w/ the sleeves cut off & dark shades. He walked right up to the podium & read the speach he had prepared & he not only destroyed Tipper's censorship campain, he showed anyone who tuned in that he was clearly far more intelligent & well spoken than Gore too!!

In my opinion, rap music in it's purest form is essentially poetry combined with music. It's 2 art forms combined to create a 3rd art form. I believe it's possible to control the mind with music & I believe there is music out there today that is designed to manipulate the listener. But it's not all rap music & it's not just rap music. If anything, the majority of music with any kind of subliminal manipulation tied into it would be Pop music..... The garbage they shove down everyones throat 24-7. There's a lot of Rap music out there with integrity, with positive & enlightening messages. And like others have posted here already, there's artists out there who are rapping about the hidden truths of our current reality. I'll suggest Black Ice. He's great in both musical form & in poetry form.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ashtonkusher

I don't know never heard it till the neighbor kids started playing it

But another "rap song that doesn't dumb down"
when music was fun

and

edit on 4/16/2011 by EvilBat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
No, education is dumbing kids down and disapline. The Rappers that cant spell or talk right is because THAT. since they think they can make a better career making music and such, sure enough alot of people do get rich for rapping

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ashtonkusher

RAP MUSIC MIXED WITH JUSTIN BEIBER IS WORSE THAN HANSON.
THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR AMERICA TO MIX THE BEIBER AND RAP TOGETHER.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Rap music isn't the only thing to blame, parents raising their children to be impressionable borderline retards and then allowing them to hear this sort of crap is the real problem.

Its kind of like the Jedi Mind Trick from Star Wars, it will have a strong influence on the weak minded.
The Artists know this and they will exploit these children for the money.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by EarthwormJim

No, I think rap music is actually involves more intelligence than most music.
Most music you just have to have the right tune/beat and words can often be done away with all together or can be replaced with humms and be drawn out - often whole verses of songs are repeated.
Typical rap music requires at least twice the amount of words because they are said faster, the words need to match the beat, phrases often need to rhyme. I find words in rap need to be more specific than in other types of music because it is often more about a message than a feeling - or a combination of both. Often rap only repeats whole verses for the mainsteam people who are still struggling to even understand what the people are saying.
Once you have an ear for rap music and you can listen to it and the words make sense you can really appreciate how much talent these guys have because a good rap is like 5 slow songs packed in to one making a big picture.

Rappers often also play on words, using their double meanings which can result in multiple stories being told at the same time.

When rock n roll first came out it was seen as the devils music and I bet they were saying back then that it was dumbing people down too. I think rap music is the next evolution of music - I am not saying it is all good, there is a lot of garbage out there, but when it is made right it is magic.

If you still question the intelligence, just watch rappers freestyle - how many musicians are capable with coming up with so many lyrics like that on the spot.

edit on 16-4-2011 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by meathed

and who is mixing beiber and rap? ive never heard of him in any rap song

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by EarthwormJim
HA HA most rap people can't even say or spell dey 2 favorite words right.:
HAYTER and my favorite IGNANT or ignorant for all you cursed brain people.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Where is that old man yells at cloud gif?

It would fit this thread.

edit on 16-4-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
no horrible schools and bad parents are dumbing kids down, but some.. not all rap aint helping

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   

HA HA most rap people can't even say or spell dey 2 favorite words right.:

Source?

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
If you really think that rap music is 'dumbing kids down' then you truly are an ignorant person.

Try listening to some real rap, not that mainstream crap that imitates it.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I honestly thought this website was above generalizing an entire genre and throwing petty stereotypes around. SMH... Just like there are bad, corrupting songs in the genre, there are stupid, ignorant posters on this website. Does that mean that this website in it's entirety is stupid and ignorant? You'd have to be stupid and ignorant to think so.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I dunno about rap now days, but luckily as a knowledgeable kid I knew about hip/hop...Of course Lil Wayne and all these wack cats are making records...I grew up to Just-Ice,Mantronix, Beastie Boys, and this good late 80's mid 90's type ish....

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
yes its absolutely dumbing kids down. its teaching kids to steal, rob, murder, commit crime, become greedy, selfish, join gangs, learn to be a con-artist & many other things.

if rap music was about opening peoples minds and enlightening each other on the darker truths of our government & society we wouldnt be in the mess were in as a nation. heck, we wouldnt even have to worry about the tyranny anymore... so sad really because the listeners are getting younger and younger

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Well, i like rap music. Gives me the pump in the gym and before i head for my mma/etc training

In my opinion it's not really dumbing kids down as some rap/hiphop music are in fact deep (political etc..then again, they are underground) but instead it's making them aggressive/violent in a way. That's the right word i guess.

But really, if you ask me which genre in general is really dumbing kids down............i have to say pop music.
edit on 16-4-2011 by Madhouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ashtonkusher
rap and hip hop is different

rap is raw, uncut (usually has the worst lang. in it)

hip hop is not so raw (still foul lang. but way less and you can actually play it while in the car with parents)

example
gucci mane = mostly rap
wiz khalifa = mostly hip hop

wiz made cabin fever mixtape which was WAAAAAAAAAY different from what he usually does that mixtape is an example of "rap" but kush & oj mixtape was hip hop

they both rap because thats what they are "doing" but they're music can be in different categorys
the type of lyrics in the song and sometimes the beat can make it rap or hip hop

You just became my best friend.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   

First off I know some people just like to dance and the beats are catchy and extremely simple.How can some rich white suburban kid put on a dew rag, talk about strife and totally lose his or her ability to speak properly?Is there a conspiracy here?If so who are the conspirators?

Okay

Sex, drugs, rock 'n' roll?

You can say Rock promotes those things, or Country and how the lyrics usually end up as "I drink my problems away".

You also have to factor in, TV, internet, social websites and the like, text messages, video games, and just about any and everything we do day to day. Heres a fun notion though, if you have kids and you don't want them listening to that type of music, then be a parent. If you don't have kids, then worry about yourself.

Rap doesn't hold a gun to someones head to join a gang or live a "thug" life. You can thank peer pressure for that

TL
R Education, parenting, and all the neat gadgets we have in this century are attributes to what may down the children. Though, I might be inclined to add this thread to the list though
edit on 16-4-2011 by abaraikenshi because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join