It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is rap "music" dumbing kids down?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
C'mon. Where are the moderators? I realize the magnitude of the thread and all but jimmeny, shouldn't this be moved to chit chat? I mean, rap? C'mon!

CJ

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Two of my closest friends both got signed to major labels. They were both mediocre bands, but one was "pushed" to the top, and one was left out in the cold. The demands they put on them were almost rediculous. It's almost like corporate music is a monster that has to be continually fed, and they will go to great lengths to keep it fed.

On the outside, it appears to be greed, money, and ratings. But I personally feel like it's something deeper than that. Almost like TPTB are experimenting with us, and controlling the mood and aura of the general populous with music. Since corporations have controlled music, every 10 years or so the trend changes. And now, with hip hop, the stuff that's pushed down our throats is very contrived. And is one of the longest lasting trends.

Hip hop beats and tones create slower frequency sounds, with an almost "zombi-fying" effect. I think the result is an audience who's mood becomes suppressed. Add some "herbal supplements", and your vibrations can drop even further.

It's not the up-beat, inspiring melodic sounds of big band, swing, or jazz, or even some pop and rock for that matter. It's low frequency, monotone, and dark, almost gloomy. And yet, remains a very popular, widely listened to genre of music.

Perhaps the global mood is being set for something?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone
Rap music is doing worse than that.

Not only is it dumbing kids down, but it is making it ok to treat women like crap, to shoot people, to drop out of school and to disrespect everyone in general.

And it is supporting racism.

Yeah cause its totally not a stereotype for rednecks to be wifebeaters. Rap is making it ok? Who said this? You seriously must have listened to some pretty ridiculous garbage to of heard that. As for shooting people, dropping out of school, and disrespecting people........ I'd ask if you were blind but you are typing in the forum so..... you never heard of "greasers" or "skin-heads" or how about just Anarchists in general.

Its not hard to grasp the fact that there will be "rebels" of all degrees, in all societies. Rap is just a catchy way of getting your words out..... so go figure there are going to be a few who abuse the outlet and generally make an ass of themself by making album after album of the same old # about what htey own, how bad ass they are, yadda yadda yadda........ You gotta dig for the gold..... kids today just hear something slightly catchy and jump onto it..... who do you think will give you a better selection and finer taste in music, a 13 year-old, or a 33 year old?

Case and point, you want to hear some rap that isn't good, either go to someone whos been on earth long enough, or look for it yourself. Music is as diverse as the color spectrum.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirKnightE

Originally posted by meathed
Yo, Yo Waz up ya all.
Whyz ya tawking bout wap like that yo.
Stop the disin of the wap muzic yo, or eyes pop a cap in ya ass, respect YO.

That was worthless, The only rap most you ever hear is what on television and most radio station, most of that rap is actually influenced by and promoted by non-rappers, and usually they are non-black... but that is a more sensitive subject that most of you would consider false info anyway.... But you would be suprised who pushes the most bullsh!t on mainstream radio, the same people that pushed the bullsh!t drugs into urban neighbor hoods.
Stop the stupidity please

I have heard enough of the rap crap to stand by my statement that i think its crap.
And im not being stupid because i no longer listen to the rap crap.( hey look i made a rhyme).
So i say you are the one acting stupid listening to it and defending it,

respect YO, sup

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Lmao.
How come nobody ever points out that rock and roll stars use to bite the head off bats?

Rap music dumbing down kids?
Lol Sure.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

edit on 15-4-2011 by ashtonkusher because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthwormJim

hold on a minute, rap is one of the few types of music that have many singers singing about real issues and informing people about certain 'things'.

if you want music that dumbs kids down, check out high school musical.

the only thing i think rap dumbs people down on is maybe the/da spellings, but we have a whole other thing that causes that problem anyway, text messages.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by meathed

WOW, You should be put on an exhibit.... I bet you're more entertaining in person. Simply amazing....

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthwormJim

Ive been around Rap music as long as i can remember, its not turning people dumb, its an art form an "expression of self" poetry in music, just as a painter paits, a sculptor sculpts and any other musician who makes music makes there music. Rap came from blues and rock and roll, it just so happens to have its roots in places where instruments were pricey and studios were far and from between. So people made there music as simple as writing lines for a poem, feelings of angered oppression, violence, drugs, and hard times were a basis for there story and still is the way of life of this musical culture. There are some very talented artists out there and this genre should not be judged by mainstream artist with a handful of exceptions. In fact "Rap" artist are some of the leading entrepreneurs in our life today. However there are the handful of idiots out the just as there is in any popular culture. Please dont judge a book by its cover but rather be educated about Rap before you makes any crazy claims.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by contrafear
Two of my closest friends both got signed to major labels. They were both mediocre bands, but one was "pushed" to the top, and one was left out in the cold. The demands they put on them were almost rediculous. It's almost like corporate music is a monster that has to be continually fed, and they will go to great lengths to keep it fed.

On the outside, it appears to be greed, money, and ratings. But I personally feel like it's something deeper than that. Almost like TPTB are experimenting with us, and controlling the mood and aura of the general populous with music. Since corporations have controlled music, every 10 years or so the trend changes. And now, with hip hop, the stuff that's pushed down our throats is very contrived. And is one of the longest lasting trends.

Hip hop beats and tones create slower frequency sounds, with an almost "zombi-fying" effect. I think the result is an audience who's mood becomes suppressed. Add some "herbal supplements", and your vibrations can drop even further.

It's not the up-beat, inspiring melodic sounds of big band, swing, or jazz, or even some pop and rock for that matter. It's low frequency, monotone, and dark, almost gloomy. And yet, remains a very popular, widely listened to genre of music.

Perhaps the global mood is being set for something?

PLEASE SEE MY POST THIS THREAD

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Gad ,it is hardly music,thank God I listen to Heavy Metal to inspire violence.That way I can fend off ignorant people.
I hated it when Blondie put it out,no need for "homework".
edit on 15-4-2011 by 7thcavtrooper because: unfinished

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
That's an incredibly ignorant comment. There are plenty of rappers out there who present their music on the same level as poetry. Before you start criticizing what I am assuming is "my generation", do some research. Listen to this, this guy was the first musician to criticize America's response to 9/11 and if you can even wrap your tiny mind around these baffling lyrics I will be surprised.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Ahaha, yes. Seriously, I just want to punch those teens that think they're all tough with those abs that are extremely easy to get, and them saying stuff like, "I got a bunch of ho's dat I can f* all night. I got dem roofies too dat'll get dem sleepy and I'll get her preg over night. I'm so BA, don't chuu see??" Then they also ruin the greatness of marijuana, and make it seem like a bad thing with them getting high and doing stupid stuff. Oh, I really despise them.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I beg to differ that it is all rap music. I mean "there is always a shed of light in a dark void". There is this rapper named Lowkey, who does not talk about women, money, and guns. He speaks about Palestine, America, Terrorism and everything.

Think that all rappers are "ignant"? Think again

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by DuceizBack

I think the author is being more specific about high schoolers and middle schoolers. I laugh at them as they can hardly treat a girl right, and all they want to do is party, have sex, and show off how cool they are. They're such tools.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirKnightE
reply to post by meathed

WOW, You should be put on an exhibit.... I bet you're more entertaining in person. Simply amazing....

You better believe it big guy.
Im entertainment plus in person. Not only can i rhyme and sing but i dance too.
Im like a singing, rhyming,dancing warlock with tiger blood in my viens.
Maybe i will invite you around for a party one night and you can find out for yourself

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
speaking of conspiracy.

lets just take the black culture out of rap and continue it as a form of art; that wouldnt be a first, and would definitely make "rap" something that isnt dumbing down "OUR" kids.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by catswithbigpaws
reply to post by DuceizBack

I think the author is being more specific about high schoolers and middle schoolers. I laugh at them as they can hardly treat a girl right, and all they want to do is party, have sex, and show off how cool they are. They're such tools.

Nice, nice. Being in middle school obviously means that you can't think for yourself and you mindlessly follow every trend and fad. Oh, especially the part about treating girls right, because you know, chivalry couldn't possibly be existent among the younger kids of America. By the way, i'm in 8th grade and i'm sick of hearing people talk about this. If people actually bothered to read the other comments and make an informed statement you might of seen my previous comment. Look at these lyrics from a song about 9/11:

Coming live from my own funeral, beautiful weather offered a nice shine

Which is suitable for a full view of a forever altered skyline

It's times like these I freestyle biased opinions every other sentence

My journalistic ethics slip when I pass them off as objective

"Don't give me that ethical #."

I've got exclusive, explicit images to present to impressionable American kids

And it's time to show this world how big our edifice is.

Because a middle-schooler couldn't POSSIBLY listen to and appreciate REAL rap music with beautiful lyrics.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I admit I Only like a few artists of rap
and I do think there are Dumb Down artists of all
kinds of music

comes to mind

and

there are all kinds of dumb down artists
just try to ignore them,

when you here a kid / teenager singing some of these
ask them if they heard of
" insert you favorite here"

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
rap and hip hop is different

rap is raw, uncut (usually has the worst lang. in it)

hip hop is not so raw (still foul lang. but way less and you can actually play it while in the car with parents)

example
gucci mane = mostly rap
wiz khalifa = mostly hip hop

wiz made cabin fever mixtape which was WAAAAAAAAAY different from what he usually does that mixtape is an example of "rap" but kush & oj mixtape was hip hop

they both rap because thats what they are "doing" but they're music can be in different categorys
the type of lyrics in the song and sometimes the beat can make it rap or hip hop

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join