It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy, two, is the first person in the world to be born with extra strand of DNA

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
doesnt more dna mean the less evolved you are.....lesser strands is better i heard

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by RADHESYAM

you for got this one "cold this be the next step in evolution" but i ,like the proof of ET my self.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Alien DNA found in boy
Proof of Evolution - God debunked!!
Chemtrails cause extra DNA
Where's the boys birth certificate?

C'mon guys I know you got more!!

HE'S A MUTANT!!!

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh
doesnt more dna mean the less evolved you are.....lesser strands is better i heard

Don't know where you heard that. Evolution is just a progression of adaptions, not a linear movement towards a perfect organism. That's a common misconception.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
If "survival of the fittest" is the real driving force behind evolution than this case is not a good example.
The interesting thing is that although this boy may not be " the fittest", by any stretch of the imagination, modern science & medicine can make it possible for him to live and perhaps reproduce, thereby passing along his damaged DNA to his offspring.

It would seem to me that if "survival of the fittest" was ever a real force for evolutionary change, debatable in my opinion, it may no longer be a driving force, at least where man or domesticated animals are concerned.

edit on 4/12/2011 by Sparky63 because: punctuation

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sparky63
If "survival of the fittest" is the real driving force behind evolution than this case is not a good example.
The interesting thing is that although this boy may not be " the fittest", by any stretch of the imagination, modern science & medicine can make it possible for him to live and perhaps reproduce, thereby passing along his damaged DNA to his offspring.

It would seem to me that if "survival of the fittest" was ever a real force for evolutionary change, debatable in my opinion, it may no longer be a driving force, at least where man or domesticated animals are concerned.

edit on 4/12/2011 by Sparky63 because: punctuation

Survival of the fittest is a force that only works some of the time. There are a lot more complex factors that go into what adaptations creatures acquire and retain.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I'll need to see the birth certificate.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
A few things here:

Firstly, the article is a little misleading. The extra strand of DNA is an extra copy of chromosome 7:

They revealed his seventh chromosome has an extra strand of material which has never been documented anywhere in the world before.
(empashis mine)

This doesn't mean it's the first time it', or something similar, has happened, just that it's never been described; hardly surprising when you consider that we've only known the structure and function of DNA for a relatively short while.

Nor does it mean that the kid has an extra strand of DNA per se, and this type of mutation is called trisomy, as in trisomy 21 or Down's Syndrome

Furthermore, this is a kind of proof of the mechanisms behind evolution. Evolution doesn't have a particular direction, some mutations are beneficial and the deviation from the 'normal' genetic make-up will give an advantage that makes the individual more likely to pass his or her genes on. Some mutations, like this one, will mean that the individual is at a disadvantage, often severely so and the likelihood is that the genes will never get passed on to offspring. The point is that without mutation the genome of an organism will stagnate and any competitors for its particular biological niche that do have the possibility of change will out compete them.

Take height as an example, taller humans are more likely to mate than shorter humans.

source

Over time this has lead to sexual selection for genes that increase height leading to a taller species.

source

There's lots of weird stuff going on in DNA, I just don't see this as anything other than a tragedy for those involved.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Genetic mutation comes to mind....

So does evolution...

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by RADHESYAM

Boy, two, is the first person in the world to be born with extra strand of DNA

www.dailymail.co.uk

A BRITISH toddler has become the first person in the world to be born with an extra strand in his DNA, in a condition so rare doctors don't even know its name.

edit on 12-4-2011 by RADHESYAM because: (no reason given)

That the dna ir genotyping has been done on this toddler leads me to believe that he is showung signs of abnormality.
Extra strand cannot be a quirk or mutation or anything like that imo.
Seems to me and I.m guessing, it was beamed into him from some unknown source.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Looks as if Darwin's Radio is defective...

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by RADHESYAM

I cant WAIT to see what you guys come up with for THIS headline!!!
Possible conspiracy theories :

Alien DNA found in boy
Proof of Evolution - God debunked!!
Chemtrails cause extra DNA
Where's the boys birth certificate?

C'mon guys I know you got more!!

...on a serious note this is HELLA weird stuff.
Down Sydnrome people have extra chromozones but DNA?

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

You forgot that it could possibly be the random baby found inside the Dome of Rock after the strange UFO videos in Jerusalem that many assume is a hoax!!

Too many conspiracies

edit on 12-4-2011 by Skate because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

There... have been similar cases .. Take a look.
abcnews.go.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I do believe some of us adults now have more than two strands as well. Scientist were calling it a DNA disease about a decade ago

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
maybe colaberation of two DNA's an unborn sister or brother a locked within her own dna

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by 13Godslivinglight
I do believe some of us adults now have more than two strands as well. Scientist were calling it a DNA disease about a decade ago

No, you can not have more than two strands of DNA, it is physically impossible. DNA is made up of two strands or "backbones" which are made up of sugar-phosphate molecules and are linked by phosphodiester bonds. The "backbones" join together at the center by hydrogen bonding between nucleotide bases (A, T, G, C). Only complementary bases can bond so you get a purine-pyrimidine combo (A binds to T, G binds to C). This bonding causes the DNA strands to twist and make a double helix.

Anyways, the article is misleading and the writer is uneducated on the subject. The title says that the boy has an extra strand of DNA but that is impossible as I pointed out earlier. I think what he meant to say was that the boy has extra genes or base pairs attached to chromosome 7.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I highly doubt he is the first ever, just the first known. I find it funny how people say this could be evolution, yet it is a mutation. Show me one mutation ever, EVER, that was beneficial. And not because a third arm got you a spot in the circus. This poor kid looks like he has something wrong with him, somewhat close to Down's syndrome.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by molecularstranding
I highly doubt he is the first ever, just the first known. I find it funny how people say this could be evolution, yet it is a mutation. Show me one mutation ever, EVER, that was beneficial. And not because a third arm got you a spot in the circus. This poor kid looks like he has something wrong with him, somewhat close to Down's syndrome.

Although the vast majority of mutations harm or have no effect on an organism's fitness, there are still some mutations that give organisms a selective advantage. One simple example would be the mutation in bacteria that causes them to become antibiotic resistant and able to survive drugs.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Steam

That is actually a very good point. Are you sure its not adaptation, if that is even a real biological process, and not mutation? Seems like a one in a google chance that the mutation a species contracts is the exact one necessary to do such a specific thing, but how many things can be mutated on a simple bacterium anyways, does not seem like many.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
How interesting. I'll have to see how this plays out. Lets not jump to conclusions too soon guys.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join