It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy, two, is the first person in the world to be born with extra strand of DNA

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Boy, two, is the first person in the world to be born with extra strand of DNA

www.dailymail.co.uk

A BRITISH toddler has become the first person in the world to be born with an extra strand in his DNA, in a condition so rare doctors don't even know its name.

edit on 12-4-2011 by RADHESYAM because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I cant WAIT to see what you guys come up with for THIS headline!!!
Possible conspiracy theories :

Alien DNA found in boy
Proof of Evolution - God debunked!!
Chemtrails cause extra DNA
Where's the boys birth certificate?

C'mon guys I know you got more!!

...on a serious note this is HELLA weird stuff.
Down Sydnrome people have extra chromozones but DNA?

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Evolution in progress? Maybe.

But more than likely, it is a new disease and a new drug will be on the market soon to make everything better. At least that is what they will want us to believe.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by RADHESYAM

But was he ever near Fukashima in Tokyo?

2nd

edit on 12-4-2011 by FoxfilesMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Already a few threads. Searched with "extra DNA" and saw the thread earlier today:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by FoxfilesMulder

He's 2 years old...

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Does this mean that all the children get a dna test when they are born?
things they are a changing...

Extra DNA in Humans

Name: Brittany
Grade: 12+

Question: Why do humans have extra DNA?
---------------------------------------
One explanation is that we simply don't know its function yet (but that
doesn't mean it doesn't have a function). Another is that a mutation or
other change has rendered a sequence non-functional, but the remaining
sequence remains in our genome.

Hope this helps,
Burr
====================================================================
All eukaryotes have extra DNA. One theory is that it provides for the evolution
of new genes which, of course, is the raw material for future evolution.

Ron Baker, Ph.D.
I'm not sure I fully understand what you are asking. However, here are
to items that may address your inquiry. First, some DNA (and other
substances, cells, and even organs) contain redundant, i.e. backups in
case something fails. Two examples and the kidney and liver. If those
organs, and hence their cells right down to their DNA, stop
functioning they can continue to function. Second, only a fraction of
the functions and use of DNA is known. The use of major amounts of the
DNA remains unknown. This has been called "junk" DNA. But that is not
a good name. It's not "junk" we just don't yet know what its function
is.

Vince Calder
There is one idea about this topic that suggests that this DNA may be
left over as a result of evolutionary processes. Advanced
organisms may have left over DNA from their ancestry prior to being
our current stage of "Homo sapiens", for example. Humans have a great deal of
identical or similar genes to fish, reptiles, etc., but, of course,
we have evoled to a different stage of development. We just have
previously used.but now junk DNA in our genome, much like left over crumbs.

And now an extra strand will further more alienate..

Two-year-old world's first to have extra DNA strand
posted 5 hrs ago - by sulekha news | 33 Views | View Source: Indo Asian News Service

London, April 12 (IANS) A British toddler has become the first person in the world to be diagnosed with an extra strand in his DNA.

Two-year-old Alfie Clamp from Nuneaton in Warkwickshire was born blind and with severe disabilities, which led doctors to carry out various tests.

They found out that his seventh chromosome had an 'extra arm' which has never been documented anywhere in the world before, according to the Daily Mail.

Doctors were baffled at his condition, which is so rare it does not have a name.

They also do not have no idea whether the medical condition will improve or reduce the boy's life span.

His parents, Gemma and Richard Clamp, only discovered something was wrong with their son after they first took him home.

A few days later he stopped breathing and his lips turned blue and had to be rushed back to hospital.

Doctors discovered he had a rare abnormality in his DNA only when he was six weeks old.

His condition left Alfie unable to see until he was three months old.

He still suffers from digestive problems and needs to take many medicines every day to help his body absorb vital nutrients.

The Clamps, who also have a 10-year-old daughter, who is perfectly healthy, had their DNA tested but were not found to be carriers of the different strand.

edit on 12-4-2011 by mkkkay because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
The rest of us will get our chance. Rapidly advancing technology and cultural changes are right here right now. I think some of our evolution has been shipped overseas to society and/or culture. I think that's the bigger story. It's like we're melting into our society and only part of us is our body. Have to take chances to evolve so don't forget to swim. Don't just think about it.

Do you want to learn how to swim or do you want to swim? Jump in.
edit on 12-4-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
How can anyone make a claim that he is the first EVER? As far as I know, the structure of DNA has only been seen since the 50's. What percentage of the world's DNA has actually been examined? Interesting nonetheless, especially if he is indeed the first.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by mkkkay
Does this mean that all the children get a dna test when they are born?
things they are a changing...

In the UK they do get this www.nhs.uk...
And our overlords ARE quite intent on having everyones DNA on record lately.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Varemia

Yes exactly I was going to say the same.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
This kids head looks similar to this
www.google.com...
thats all i'm going to say here

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I didn't actually read the link when I made my first post. After reading it I feel a little dirty. This kid is struggling to survive. I feel sorry for his parents. They're worried they'll lose him.

On the subject of evolution, it helps some and hurts others. It's not a win/win situation.

Reminds me of hte economy. It's a predator/prey scenario. Finite currency means that only portions of us will succeed. The pool of money just gets smaller and less spread out. But in broader terms our planet is not any different. We're parasites on the earth. We exploit every manner of resource possible. Everything does. Finity and conservation ensure it.

We can't have a win/win situation without infinity. Conservation is like the lock on the door to infinity. Finity is a jar and only so many can fit in it. The rest, they linger outside in the cold.
edit on 12-4-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Was Daddy a DU-exposed vet?

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

edit on 4/12/11 by darrman because: self edit

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by goochball
How can anyone make a claim that he is the first EVER? As far as I know, the structure of DNA has only been seen since the 50's. What percentage of the world's DNA has actually been examined? Interesting nonetheless, especially if he is indeed the first.

Well, the article does say,

They revealed his seventh chromosome has an extra strand of material which has never been documented anywhere in the world before.

Meaning it hasn't been documented before - not that he's the very first person to have an extra strand in his DNA. So he may not be the first, but he's the first to be documented with the condition.

But i see what you mean though - the way it was worded does make it sound like he's a world's first.
edit on 12-4-2011 by noonebutme because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-4-2011 by noonebutme because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Hmm, I really wonder what quality of life this poor boy will have.

Sure, sounds neat that he's got this extra strand to his DNA - the sort of thing that any decent superhero's background story would start with.

But looking at his current state - the poor kid is blind, has digestion problems amongst other disabilities and has to take a myrriad of drugs each morning. Sounds pretty awful for the family.

I would probably argue against any idea that it's "evolution" as generally, the term refers to some form of advancement to an organism's existence. So far, it doesn't seem like it for the poor kid.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Poor little guy.

Brave Alfie Clamp was born blind and with severe disabilities, which led doctors to carry out various tests.
...He still suffers serious digestive problems and needs a cocktail of drugs every day to help his body absorb vital nutrients.....He also suffers fits which sparked by high temperatures and metabolic problems stop him from eating or drinking.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

I wonder how many times something like this has really happened in man's history. I guess this is an example of how random mutations are almost always damaging.
I hope the Doc's find a way to help him deal with his condition.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I think it is absolutely important to eliminate some of the terminological inexactitudes that surround this story before commenting on it. For a start, its quite true that he might not be the first person in the world to be born with one extra strand of DNA. He IS the first person to be recorded as being born with an extra strand of DNA however, and in that much he is unique.
Furthermore, the testing which proved he had an extra strand of DNA was done because the child was clearly the victim of some inherant physiological problem for which no initial explanation was apparant. Therefore DNA testing was performed and confirmed the childs unique genetic circumstances.
The tests performed upon him were NOT part of an ongoing , nation wide gene gestapo initiative, but part of a legitimate medical examination to determine the cause of the boys evident disabilities. The same tests are performed in any circumstance where there is malformation or dysfunction of what ought to be a healthy young body, and rightly so . The sooner damaged genes can be identified, the better we can explain and treat the consequences of genetic misfortune.
Although I empathise with those who find that particular circumstance a little to coincidental, I for one find it amazing that people are prepared to throw accusations at the only profession which is capable of giving this child a chance at an active and inclusive life, such as that enjoyed by the rest of us.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by noonebutme

Hmm, I really wonder what quality of life this poor boy will have.

Sure, sounds neat that he's got this extra strand to his DNA - the sort of thing that any decent superhero's background story would start with.

But looking at his current state - the poor kid is blind, has digestion problems amongst other disabilities and has to take a myrriad of drugs each morning. Sounds pretty awful for the family.

I would probably argue against any idea that it's "evolution" as generally, the term refers to some form of advancement to an organism's existence. So far, it doesn't seem like it for the poor kid.

I agree, it is very doubtful it is evolution. However, the first thing I wondered when I read the article, was "Alien Interveening?". Sorry, but I just could not help the question to pop up in my mind.

Another thing that is worth considering, is that hybrids often have the very same type of disabilities that he has.
Now, I am not saying that this is the case AT ALL, just noting it, until further information is avaible.

Finally, it is also worth adding that the doctors says that; "Medics also have no idea whether his condition will improve or reduce his life expectancy."

So, they really don't know whether it really is something bad or something good. Perhaps he right now is in some kind of "fase" until it later on turns around.

Anyway, just speculating- Not much else to do right now.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join