It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snooki gets $32k for Rutgers appearance

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
So there you have it, Snooki of "Jersey Shore" fame is paid 32,000 for an appearance at Rutgers University.

Yahoo link

Apparently, she discussed her gym and tanning habits. And,

That's $2,000 more than the $30,000 the university is paying Nobel-winning novelist Toni Morrison to deliver Rutgers' commencement address in May.

Money for Polizzi's appearance came from the mandatory student activity fee.

Gosh this country is going to hell in a hand basket. This is the level to which students must aspire now -- reality show.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

this is a disgrace...WTF is going on america?!?!?! People like Stanton Friedman should be going to speak at Rutgers

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
April fools? Right? Sadly I have a funny feeling this is true, im not surprised.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Gosh this country is going to hell in a hand basket. This is the level to which students must aspire now -- reality show.

There was a show on Spanish TV some years ago who interviewed youths of school age and there was a stunning majority who said that they wanted to be in shows like Big Brother and basically skip school.

I could not believe what I was watching.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Wow, the "more money than" Toni Morrison is a high insult, imo.
This with the Friday song, Beiber and too many shallow reality shows does seem to be pulling us backwards and further into the me,me, me attitudes.
Isn't there a talent police we can call on these people?

Peace,
spec

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
It's sad. Very sad that any educational institution would pay that much money to have Snookie or any other reality TV show star on campus. Was this some attempt to teach students about the behind-the-scenes of reality TV shows? There is something to be learned even from Snookie, but was it worth all that money??? A better question would be....are Snookie's insights into anything worth more than the insights of Toni Morrison??? I guess she could be a prime example of what NOT to aspire to,.... but then again she is highly rewarded for being who she is. No wonder kids strive for the shallow life when they see Snookie earning all that dough and acceptance.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Reply to post by buddhasystem

Expected more? I thought people have been worshiping and I really mean worshiping celebrities since the dawn of their existence .

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

I think that the older I get, the more worried I am by pop culture. But sadly this is the way the world is headed. Intelligence is constantly dwarfed by shock value and we just turn up the volume. Must be a Jersey thing...

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
APRIL FOOLS!! Oh wait...

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
ARE YOU # ING KIDDING ME!!!!!!!

I'm at lost for words, and hope for this country.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by prolific

More like a worldwide thing. Especially regarding pop culture.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cataclysm6Child
Reply to post by buddhasystem

Expected more? I thought people have been worshiping and I really mean worshiping celebrities since the dawn of their existence .

That's indeed nothing new. What is new that mix up of the spirit of high academia with the lowest denominator in modern mass culture, or rather a precipitous descent of the society to what is most base.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
"Apparently, she discussed her gym and tanning habits"

Lol Snooki giving GYM advice? Whats next, Bristol Palin too speak out about safe sex? Oh well..

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
full story here
I still think its pretty dumb, but this article gives a lot more details about the whole deal.
edit on 1-4-2011 by Cheesefacedogbone because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-4-2011 by Cheesefacedogbone because: lets try that again

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Wait - this story is real?? I honestly thought it was a bad April Fool's joke when I read it first thing this AM....

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cheesefacedogbone
full story here
I still think its pretty dumb, but this article gives a lot more details about the whole deal

Get this:

She spent an hour answering questions, teaching students the signature "Jersey Shore" first pump and styling a student’s hair in her iconic "pouf" hairdo.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
she discussed gym workouts? hopefully, she was getting pointers, not giving them.

If anything, she should be discussing what it's like to be an oompa loompa in a human world

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Think thats bad? She is about to wrestle at wrestlemania....wrestlings biggest ever show of the year. That's easy a million in her pocket. /Sigh

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I've never watched this Snooki.
Though, I have stepped in some.
*bad dog!*

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by rabzdguy

she is the perfect example of what people are willing to do to be famous.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join