It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whoa...Anyone seen this Fallout Model?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by IncognitoGhostman
reply to post by Stunspot

Plus you gotta think that it's Plutonium that is releasing and it's range is 4x farther and it's effect on humans is 10x more hazardous.

Far worse when inhaled with usually between 20 and 60 percent depending upon such things as the size of the particles, is retained in the lung. The rest is eliminated from the body within several days. Of that which remains in the lungs, about half will be removed each year, some to be excreted, some to lodge in the lymph nodes, and a very small amount will be deposited in other organs, mainly bone.

You're completely right, but plutonium isn't what is being released, it's only the fuel.

Quick lesson for those willing to learn:

Plutonium is used as the fuel, as it is capable of undergoing Fission, the splitting of an atom when disrupted by a Neutron. When struck by a fast moving (or slow, I can't recall that bit) neutron, the energy in the Plutonium atom is disrupted and the opposing charges of the protons in the nucleus force the nucleus to split in to two separate elements, as well as a further 2-3 neutrons which can then strike more atoms and react again. When this happens, an incredible amount of energy is released, which is then used to heat water to steam, and turn generators.

But what of the Fission fragments from the splitting? These are random, and can become one of many elements, but are usually radioactive themselves. It's the fission fragments that made it out during the earlier explosions, which as far as I know was the scientists venting pressure in the cores. The plutonium is certain to stay in the reactor, as it has no way of escaping.

You may hear phrases such as sub-critical, critical or supercritical. If the reactor becomes Sub-critical, this means it is no longer functional and is not producing energy. Critical is what every reactor is always at, it is the stable state, and it produces a steady stream of energy and means that power can be produced.

Supercritical is the one to fear, as this means that every neutron released by a fission is going on to cause another. This would in turn cause a build-up of energy over a short period of time, followed by a rather large explosion. This is how a Nuke works.

Having said this, the shape of the plutonium is critical (no pun intended) to how it reacts. In a reactor, it is kept in thin sheets, so that only one neutron at a time is causing a fission and the other two are sent out the sides of the sheet, where they don't react with anything unless they hit another sheet. (Control rods stop this when lowered)

When kept in a sphere however, the probability of every neutron hitting an atom becomes incredible, as it can go in any direction and still cause a fission, the amount of energy tripling each time (1 reaction releases 3 neutrons, those 3 cause 3 more fissions, which each release their own 3 etc). Essentially, if you have a large chunk of Plutonium, it'll blow up at some point.

The lowering of the control rods greatly reduces the energy produced, as they stop the stray neutrons from creating more energy. The problem in Japan is that the flow of the coolant stopped due to the power outage and the backup generators not working, this means that the energy has no escape and is heating up which, left unchecked, could result in what is called a 'meltdown', which is when the metal shielding around the core melts away due to the heat, providing less protection against the radioactive core and fission fragments.

The point is that the reactors aren't something to fear unless some idiot goes and builds one on a fault line. They can't explode like a nuke does, but they do remain dangerous to the immediate area for a long time if they go into meltdown. Chernobyl is only now dropping to levels that could be called safe, but the rest of the world is fine.

Admittedly, I'm not an expert, but this is how it works in basic terms. Hopefully I helped and didn't just scare more people.

edit on 1/4/2011 by roswell1 because: Clarity.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

The evidence that there is no safe dose-level of ionizing radiation (no threshold dose) means that journals and other media contribute to cancer (and inherited afflictions) whenever they include disproven claims which encourage a casual a...ttitude toward extra exposures to low-dose ionizing radiation. We believe that you want to help prevent such miseries.
ratical.org...

Radiation Traces Found in U.S. Milk online.wsj.com...

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by roswell1

You're completely right, but plutonium isn't what is being released, it's only the fuel.

care to explain how it's being released then??

Highly toxic plutonium has seeped into the soil outside the troubled Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power complex in northeastern Japan, officials say

Source

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
its all good...

am I dead yet ...okay sorry was just checking :|

I think I'm gonna go run round the back yard and try to catch particles on my tongue as if they where teeny tiny radiation snowflakes

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   

...in the rain water we collected in 18 hours between March 17 and March 18 we observe an activity of the isotope of I-131 (Iodine-131) of 4.26 Bq/l. At this level, you would need to drink 632 liters of this rain water to obtain the same radiation effects you obtain on a round-trip flight between San Francisco and Washington D.C. Therefore, the increase in radiation levels in the rain water due to the events in Japan remain extremely small.

www.nuc.berkeley.edu...

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

Like I have said a few times, I'm not an expert. I'm simply going off what I already knew, and evidently I was wrong on that point, though the rest of my statement still stands.

To be honest I find it hard to believe anything the MSM says, but I'm not in the position to say you're wrong.

Roswell.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
good bye northern hemisphere!

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Deleted link
edit on 2-4-2011 by GeisterFahrer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Buford2
reply to post by Aisling

Exactly. I was basically called a liar for mentioning Agenda 21. I thought more on ATS would know what that was but I was wrong. What a sad world.
edit on 1-4-2011 by Buford2 because: (no reason given)

I hear you. This is not even a conspiracy! It's happening right in front of our eyes. They are doing this out in the open.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
I kind of think that the map in the op looks scarier than it is???
but anyways...
has anyone else been coughing more than usual of late???

just wondering here, I usually cough alot, what the heck I am breathing flock for 8 hours a day, four to five days a week..I'm surprised I can breathe at all....but, lately I've been coughing my brains out!!!

Sorry mod, off topic but may be important for this person's health.Get tested for whooping cough. There is an epidemic that started in SoCal last year.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by northexpedition

The evidence that there is no safe dose-level of ionizing radiation (no threshold dose) means that journals and other media contribute to cancer (and inherited afflictions) whenever they include disproven claims which encourage a casual a...ttitude toward extra exposures to low-dose ionizing radiation. We believe that you want to help prevent such miseries.
ratical.org...

Radiation Traces Found in U.S. Milk online.wsj.com...

And if it's getting into the animals, it's getting into us.
2nd line

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by NatalinaEx

Originally posted by Aisling
Don't worry. The government is busy adjusting numbers and figures to make it at a safe level. Radiation is good for you. Drink the water, drink the milk... keep watching dancing with the stars. It will all be OK!

Indeed. I recently saw this and it disturbed me greatly... although it isn't a shocker. This is, of course, the very same EPA that claimed the air around Ground Zero was safe to breathe.

Group warns EPA ready to increase radioactive release guidelines

Or, when they changed the definition of epidemic to MAKE H1N1 an "epidemic". Or, when the definition of "Depression" was changed so that our current state is a "Recession". The BS gets thicker all the time.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Does anyone know what kind of effect the radiation in our atmosphere could have in the event of a massive solar flare hitting the Earth?

P.S

Stay safe, stay indoors...

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Irony at it's finest. Japan was the first place to be nuked. Now they nuke the rest of the world.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Conclusion1

Irony at it's finest. Japan was the first place to be nuked. Now they nuke the rest of the world

if you mean first bomb dropped in war yes.....if you mean first nuke no...
that would be New Mexico source

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Saw a show on the History channel about the super storms. They are predicting could be 100,000 miles across and have the energy 100 million times stronger than our most powerful nuclear device. I was so blown away by this I transcribed this from the t.v. It terrified me at the time, but I wrote it all down. It would explode every transformer there is and it would take manufacturing companies several years to manufacture more. In other words the global grid would be down for years and all those nuclear plants would melt down. Not a pretty thing to ponder.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
That American Nuclear scientist that "comitted suicide" knew this, he had access to better sats too.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I don't know about y'all, but I just took a potassium iodide pill. When I hear 18,100% above the legal federal limit for radioactive iodine in the rainwater near where I live, and then in the same breath they say that everything is fine and there is nothing to worry about, that's when I think back to the book 1984.

‎"Doublethink, a word coined by George Orwell in the novel Nineteen Eighty-Four, describes the act of simultaneously accepting as correct two mutually contradictory beliefs, often in distinct social contexts. It is related to, but distinct from, hypocrisy and neutrality. Its opposite is cognitive dissonance, where the two beliefs cause conflict in one's mind."

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sovaka
Seems to be the worst case scenario if they can't stop the meltdown.

Why not just drop a 1,000lb bomb on the place. Sure it will be initially devastating, but it would stop the meltdown.

That would trigger a full-scale meltdown and likely blow more radioactive particles into the air. That's like dropping a grenade onto a propane barbecue in the hopes of putting out the burners.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
The whole thing is a chest full of gold, a treasure at the end of a rainbow for the pharmaceutical and medical industry, the health wizzards. They will gain masses of cancer patients to treat with poisonous chemicals and even more radiation. Thinking, that the energy industry and the pharmaceutical and medical industrie are hand in glove anyway, this gives totally new perspectives...

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join