It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Wrote The Bible and Why It Matters

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by FoxfilesMulder
The best way to read the bible is to skip ahead to what Jesus said and then end it there

2nd line.

When Jesus was teaching (what Jesus said) He used the OT.

2nd line.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

The best way to read the bible is to skip ahead to what Jesus said and then end it there

2nd line.

2nd line.

He also used his own doctrine, which wasn't the OT

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Show me this doctrine in which Jesus based his teachings!

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by dalan.
reply to post by HunkaHunka

The Gospel of Paul is the worst gospel in the New Testament.

Wow, where is the Gospel of Paul? I have a Bible and haven't seen a Gospel of Paul in it.

It would appear that I made a fluke in my reply. I didn't mean the Gospel of Paul, I meant to say from the four Gospels, Paul was the worst disciple.

It is odd though how there are only four Gospels in the New Testament, out of the 12 disciples that followed Jesus.

I wonder how that happened.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Theophorus
reply to post by Akragon

Can you find this in your OT?

27But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,

28Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.

29And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloak forbid not to take thy coat also.

30Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again.

31And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.

32For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them.

33And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same.

34And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again.

35But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.

36Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.

37Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

38Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

2nd line.

2nd line.

well yeah sure He did, He has that authority as the Son of God. What i was getting as by my statement was that Jesus gave legitimacy to the Law and Prophets by quoting from them, but at the same time He also was instituting the New Covenant at that time.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

2nd line.

2nd line.

well yeah sure He did, He has that authority as the Son of God. What i was getting as by my statement was that Jesus gave legitimacy to the Law and Prophets by quoting from them, but at the same time He also was instituting the New Covenant at that time.

ahh...finally my friend we see eye to eye...

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Theophorus
reply to post by Akragon

The Law and the Prophets. When Jesus quoted Moses or the Prophets it was from the OT scrolls His audience was used to.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by dalan.

It would appear that I made a fluke in my reply. I didn't mean the Gospel of Paul, I meant to say from the four Gospels, Paul was the worst disciple.

You've made two more "flukes".

1. Paul was not mentioned in the four gospels, he was first spoken of in the book of Acts also written by Luke. Or as some say, 2 Luke.
2. Paul wasn't a disciple, he was an apostle.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Yeah the OT has some good advice, but then again it has some bloody ridiculous advice.

The OT has a nice God, but then again it has a spiteful vengeful God.

The OT has a good Moses, but then again it has a Moses that slaughtered hundreds of his own people in cold blood.

The list goes on...

Like I say, skip ahead to Jesus if you want what really matters.

At the end of the day it doesn't even matter if Jesus really walked the earth or not, its only his Word that counts.

The more I read the bible the more it pisses me off with how much it isn't actually what its meant to be anymore because of people adding and taking from the books over the years.

E.G. HELL

There is no hell. Its Hades (realm of the dead) and Gehenna (rubbish pit which also burnt dead bodies outside of Israel) combined into one word - hell.

edit on 31-3-2011 by FoxfilesMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Yeah the OT has some good advice, but then again it has some bloody ridiculous advice.

Such as?

The OT has a nice God, but then again it has a spiteful vengeful God.

God hates sin as a Holy God, I'd expect Him to have wrath on unrighteousness.

The OT has a good Moses, but then again it has a Moses that slaughtered hundreds of his own people in cold blood.

Which shows even the worst things we do can be forgiven if we repent. That should be a comfort to anyone who feels they can't be forgiven.

Like I say, skip ahead to Jesus if you want what really matters.

The OT is the story of a nation that will being about the Savior of the world. The NT is about that Savior.

And how many of the books are actually written by the people who say they wrote them. A lot of people who have studied this subject are convinced even half the NT books Paul was credited with writing aren't even his. So how many others.

This is nothing new. Paul, Peter and others paid for the services of an "amanuenses". It was a skilled trade in that time period. There was no Kinkos back then. Silvanus was Peter's amanuenses, and Paul employed two on his different travels.

This would be no different than if I dictated a letter to my secretary and once she typed it up she presented it back to me for signature. The NT letters written by amanuenses state so in the text. It says a "ready writer".

At the end of the day it doesn't even matter if Jesus really walked the earth or not, its only his Word that counts.

Of course it matters. Salvation hinges upon Him dying and resurrecting from the dead.

The more I read the bible the more it pisses me off with how much it isn't actually what its meant to be anymore because of people adding and taking from the books over the years.

Well, no argument there. The Gnostics were known for subtracting a great deal from the text, some 85,000 words from the Textus Recpetus. But it shouldn't "piss" you off. Their additions never made the cannon of scripture and were rejected by the early church. And if you don't wish to deal with their subtractions don't read a modern Bible translation, stick with the King James.

There is no hell. Its Hades (realm of the dead) and Gehenna (rubbish pit which also burnt dead bodies outside of Israel) combined into one word - hell.

Absurd, the same Jesus you're telling everyone to skip ahead and read taught more about a literal, eternal, Hell with fire and brimstone, where the "worm dieth not" and where there will be "weeping and gnashing of teeth" more than He taught about heaven.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join