It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Wrote The Bible and Why It Matters

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Who Wrote The Bible and Why It Matters

www.huffingtonpost.com

Why are there no women priests in the Catholic Church? Why are women not allowed to preach in conservative evangelical churches? Why are there churches today that do not allow women even to speak? In no small measure it is because Paul allegedly taught that women had to be silent, submissive and pregnant. Except that the person who taught this was not Paul, but someone lying about his identity so that his readers would think he was Paul.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
The thing about a living faith, is that it must be tested, measured, refined, and redefined, else it stagnates into dead fundamentalism.

This article is a gret article for anyone who is really interest in the bible and who wrote it. Sure there are extremes on both sides...

On one... Some say It should be taken literally and at face value.... On the other hand some say it's all bunk made up to control others...

The reality is much more complex and beautiful... A labyrinth if you will, of different eras with different defining ethos, each one, redefined and written to fit the subsequent one...

Im one of those people who find great truths in old texts... Even if they were forgeries ;-)

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

The Gospel of Paul is the worst gospel in the New Testament.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

The reality is much more complex and beautiful... A labyrinth if you will, of different eras with different defining ethos, each one, redefined and written to fit the subsequent one...

Im one of those people who find great truths in old texts... Even if they were forgeries ;-)

I am probably a bit like you, in that, I think that most old texts along those lines hold some grains of truth. I think that over time, they've been added to and distorted from what they originally contained, but if you look closely enough and read between the chnages (and, biblically speaking, there's definitely ways to tell when that happens), you can find some pretty important information.

All legends and myths came from an original truth, I think.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Jomina

This is pretty much how I look at it as well...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Divinely inspired lies. What a concept!

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by dalan.

Apart from the fact Paul didn't write any of the gospels, I agree. I find him ignorant and abrasive.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
One of the most interesting parts of the Bible I find is Genesis and the stories of Sodom, Gomorrha and Ezekiels wheel.

A thought passed my mind the other day that perhaps the ghost writer of the bible did so in order to protect the true identity of (the) God(s).

Imagine that all the destruction and wrath occurred as a result of the blasphemy of (the) God'(s) true name(s) and the bible gives an alternate explanation of the divine in order to steer people from the truth and so as (the) God (s) true identities are never brought to light and their true names never blasphemed.

Combine this with ET's, Satan, Occultism etc. etc. etc. etc. and the mind hazes over to a fresh starting point

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Uh... There is no Gospel of Paul..

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
some interesting theories exist about WHO wrote the New Testament and WHY.

reuchlina.tripod.com...

www.angelfire.com...

ROME NEEDED CHRISTIANITY (08/28/99)

One of the main reasons that people have not realized that Rome actually needed Christianity
is because; (1) The Romans won their war with the Jews, and (2) as such were the writers and
recorders of public history, and (3) they deliberately hid the fact that this war was actually one
long ongoing all-out war that lasted for over one hundred years! (4) They make much of saying
that they (the Romans) do not 'like', want, or understand Christianity. While, nevertheless, and
in fact, 'advertising' it and pronouncing its 'virtues'. (5) As well as these things, they also make
it appear that Christians were persecuted, thrown to the lions and martyred.

But in fact, all of these can be explained away and shown to be total fabrications. The truth of
the matter is that Christianity was indeed "manufactured" to fit Rome like a custom-made
glove. The Romans needed Christianity for a number of reasons; but most of all, if it were to
be effective and seen as 'true' it could NOT be found to be linked to the Roman leadership itself.
So, officially, it HAD to appear that Christianity was NOT WANTED by the Roman leadership -
so that THEY would never be suspected as actually having had created it! ......

ROMAN PISO FAMILY WROTE THE NEW TESTAMENT, INVENTED "JESUS"

"We Jews and Church Leaders have known since the beginning of Christianity that it was
synthesized by the Roman Piso family for the purpose of maintaining control over the masses and to
placate slaves. And, this is why we Jews are the "Chosen People" and why we have endured so
much for so many years; we are witnesses to the lie. Our ancestors wrote what they could about
this in our texts."

FROM CHAPTER I (The True Authorship of the New Testament)

"The New Testament, the Church, and Christianity, were all the creation of the Calpurnius Piso
(pronounced Peso w/ long "E") family (a), who were Roman aristocrats. The New Testament and
all the characters in it--Jesus, all the Josephs, all the Marys, all the disciples, apostles, Paul, and
John the Baptist--are all fictional."

"The Pisos created the story and the characters; they tied the story into a specific time and place in
history; and they connected it with some peripheral actual people, such as the Herods, Gamaliel, the
Roman procurators, etc. But Jesus and everyone involved with him were created (that is, fictional!)
characters." ..........

any thoughts to add to this ?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Read this if you haven't- All Roads Lead To Rome- ProtoPlasmicTraveller

I think it was highly likely a Jewish scholar on behalf of the Romans.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
For Christians who actually study their Bible, this isn't anything new. The author in his text seems to almost delight smuggly in his "new" knowledge.

It is generally well known that much of the new testament (particularly Paul's letters) may have been written by others..Usually scribes, proteges', or other's who had close knowledge of the writer or their intentions and beliefs,

THe words and messages fit into the context of the main themes of the Bible, nothing changes the basic message. Sure these differences have spawned hte different denominations. But nothing "new" her.

By the way, our President doesn't write his own speeches. Most legal opinions are written by clerks, many authors have "ghost writers", news stories aren';t usaually written by the anchors, But we take these as their words,

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Pirateofpsychonautics

i dunno. i think jesus was the last pharaoh of egypt/
i don't think he was a fiction, we just don't have all the data.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I can accept that Jesus isn't who we're told he was and that he was used as a political tool, plus the other books / letters are politically motivated but it reads like most religions with some aspect of truth and a whole lot of dogma.

There's little doubt in my mind that the gospels are well preserved and the "Christ" was real. The basic principals are inspired.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
The more you research and experience, the more fundamentalist you become. Take it like a badge of honor, not an insult, because the world goes one way and the church another, and those who follow the ways of the world are not always walking the narrow path. Understand that if things attributed to Paul were wrong that means only Jewish Christians will be saved.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I am grateful for the stream of expose's about the bible and new testament. Even though I figured out a long time ago that I could no longer call myself "Christian", it certainly has not been easy or comfortable to do so.

Fortunately the more data that comes out, the more I am encouraged in my position of questioning and hopefully get to the point some day where I can actually feel confident in what I believe.

The brainwashing we get thru childhood is not an easy thing to get rid of in adulthood. I don't understand why some are so loath to even try and see it for what it is and move past it.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   

May I recommend also to read The Age of Reason. It is a fascinating read on the Bible.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
some with a lot of time. the bible is everywhere

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Wow, where is the Gospel of Paul? I have a Bible and haven't seen a Gospel of Paul in it.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
The best way to read the bible is to skip ahead to what Jesus said and then end it there

2nd line.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join