It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where is the moon?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by kid_cudi

The moon seriously was not there when it was supposed to be!

How do you know, you ignored all posts referencing the free software you could download to pinpoint exactly where the moon should be at your vantage point, and according to the posters, it was right where it should be.

Think logically about this. 1 person says the moon isn't there, everyone else sees it fine, shouldn't that 1 person explore the possibility that their view is the problem?

If the moon suddenly disappeared, or was orbiting erratically, there's about a million space geeks that would have let all of us know as they have their scopes trained on the moon every night. Not to mention the various scientific organizations using the laser reflecting mirrors on the moon, for various applications. They can tell you exactly how many centimeters the moon moves away each 100 years or whatever the actual scale of movement is.

I've noticed a growing trend here and this thread highlights it, people are losing their minds, coming here, reading half literate pseudo science and freaking out. Any attempts to bring rational thought into it are either ignored, or flamed.

I find it funny that someone who lunar watches for relaxing doesn't have the faintest clue about the moons orbit or how it travels across the sky over the lunar cycles. I find that amazing, and alarming.

As for the flashes, no clue, I'd be checking weather data for the surrounding area myself, always helps to eliminate the easy options first.

So i must have lost a few points as i read all 4 pages AND commented, I'm slipping :/
edit on 22-3-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I did get the program and used it but still couldn't see the moon until an hour after I used the program!

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by kid_cudi
I did get the program and used it but still couldn't see the moon until an hour after I used the program!

stellarium allows you to track and recognize the motion of celestial objects.

its not an actual remote control for the moon.

i can't believe this thread managed so many replies and even got phaged twice...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnotherYOU

stellarium allows you to track and recognize the motion of celestial objects.

its not an actual remote control for the moon.

i can't believe this thread managed so many replies and even got phaged twice...

I'm not stupid I know it's not a remote control! Wow obviously you must have thought it was at first haha

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
About the flashes...I think if you saw a blue or greenish tinge and the light seemed to come from near the ground or horizon from your vantage point, it was probably a transformer blowing. A white flash higher in the sky would likely be heat lightning. The strange white flash talked about on ATS seems harder to source the point of origin, if I recall the discussion correctly. It was described as being like a very large scope camera flash. Sorry I can't be of further help.

As for the moon I have only a basic high school education about it and given that I'm in my mid forties, even what little I learned back in school hasn't survived the toll of years passing by. There are many really nice and educated people on this forum who are kind enough to fill in the blanks for me. I've learned a lot and it shocked me to find out how little I did know and how much there actually is to learn about an object I see all the time and had come to take for granted!

If anyone is still monitoring this thread who knows a lot about how the moon moves, can you point me to an explanation of why on some nights the moon seems to move really fast across the sky, but even as short as a day later seems to move very slowly? Does it really do that based on its orientation relative to my position as an observer or would my perception of this be due to some sort of observational error? Thanks for any help.
edit on 22-3-2011 by SheeplFlavoredAgain because: Typo

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   

that is because such free programs do not calculate topography - ie hills and valeys

they assume that the horizon is at zeo degrees and you are at sea level

which is rarely the case

that is probally why you could not see the moon till 1 hour after the prog said it should be above the horizon

simples

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Samuelis
Remember you need to be outside first? Does this help?

Where do u think I was when I was driving on an open highway back to my house! I was OUTSIDE!

Point being, others saw it outside at the time so it's obviously there and the moon people had the lights on ( ha ) .. so nothing to see here ( except the moon, which hasn't left )

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
looks like Jimmy Stewart finally lassoed the moon !
Donna Reed has it ..."it's a wonderful life".
c'mon Jimmy fun's fun but...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
The moon is in the sky...that dark thing above your head when your outside.
It looks like a big ball suspended in the night sky (that dark thing)....its always there, it never leaves.
It may be hidden from view but it never just takes off into space. If the moon had gone, i think you would notice a whole lot of other things before you realized the moon had gone.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I saw the moon this morning about 8 am east coast time. Pretty big, still.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Oh wait man I can't see it either, holy moley the moon has disappeared, but wait a second............ Aw thats right I have my eyes closed!

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun

I am in Oklahoma and at this time the moon should be above my house! I
Can't see it anywhere! There are no clouds and nothing is blocking my view! I find it odd that the moon was huge and bright last night and tonight it's gone. It's like it just vanished! Its odd the moon isn't visible!

'Tis a good idea to think and research just a little bit before you need to tell us that the universe is ending, or anyway, the Moon is missing. We will think more of your skills that way.

And by the way, for you and others, the Moon, our moon, is spelt with a capital "M."

I'm in Texas and we heard 'bout ya[al up there.

Well if we are playing the English writing police then...
It is... not Tis
About you all... not bout yall....

Pot...kettle....black?
edit on 22/3/11 by Flying Sorcerer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
At first, I was going to blame my china, however on further review, I realized that the dish ran away with the spoon

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Considering the Moon has been awesomely routing its path for a good 4.5 billion years I suggest we turn eye blind on a 1-hour delay

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by SheeplFlavoredAgain

f anyone is still monitoring this thread who knows a lot about how the moon moves, can you point me to an explanation of why on some nights the moon seems to move really fast across the sky, but even as short as a day later seems to move very slowly?

Sure can. OP might want to check this link out too.

The Moon travels at different speeds during different parts of its orbit. It moves slowest when it is at furthest distance from Earth. The Moon moves fastest in its orbit when it is closest to Earth. The apparent motion of the Moon across the sky is mostly caused by the rotation of the Earth. The speed of the Earth's rotation accounts for about 96 percent of the Moon's visible motion. Only 4 percent is from the Moon's actual movement in orbit.

To an observer on Earth, the Moon takes about two minutes to move its own diameter to the west.

From one night to the next (at the same local time,) the Moon "lags behind" about 13 degrees to the east.

Source
edit on 22-3-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
The moon is a bright thing in the sky it tends to make a appearance during the night time.
you may have tryed to look for it during the day wait a few hours.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

the program isn't going to let you see the moon any sooner, but if you properly input your location, it would show you when and where it would appear. I honestly think this is a simple case of the horizon blocking your view.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by RaymaNcouldbe
reply to post by TheRealTruth84

You forgot to minus 5 more for replying in it

hahahaha!! I just keeping digging that hole deeper and deeper. lol

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Thank you so much for the info and link! I'm appalled by my own ignorance but I'm determined to do something about it. I'm glad I have a child badgering me with questions so I'm forced out of my usual routine and made to keep on learning new things about subjects I'd long taken for granted.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SheeplFlavoredAgain

no worries, I take threads like this as a learning experience as I often end up researching stuff I never bothered to otherwise.

ignorance on a subject is nothing to be ashamed of, willful ignorance, however, is.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join