It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have anyone ever had an ordinary drinking glass explode in their hand?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Morrel

I believe this explains it best:

it's down to material thermal and stress dynamics.

Normally, yes. But it doesn't explain the "tickle".
(If I am going to believe one part of the story, I have no reason to disregard the other part.
)

To me, that tickle sounds like the effect of a vibration.
Which, as we all know, can break glass.

edit on 15-3-2011 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by happinness
reply to post by Vicky32

Thank you Vicky,
I remember that too. infact a cup and saucer made out of that exploded in front of me once. It was a coffee coloured glass. French, i think. Was in Luminarc?

I assume it's the same thing, Luminarc/Arcoroc certainly sounds like it!
As to your experience, I have never had anything like that happen...
Vicky

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
to answer your question: no i have not

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Last summer at the summer house I took a 2 litre bottle of lemonade from the freezer one morning for hangover and started opening the cap and suddenly BANG it flew off like a champange kork followed by white mist. I was left in awe and thank lord I didn't look at it while opening it. Strange event because in cold there's supposed to be LESS pressure. Dunno.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by happinness

I remember once a few years back my mom took one of those incense thingies(the kind that look like a Hershey kiss) and placed it on a glass plate. Then she put it on the glass table(really really thick heavy glad it is gone glass table), lit it and then prayed in-front of it(I think for better financial luck).

The glass plate ended up cracking in half. It didn't fall or anything. It just broke in half clean for no legitimate reason.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Awww, you had me excited for a second!

When I saw your title I thought I finally found someone that experienced what I have......

My mother and I both joke around about us having "negative energy" because we both seem to cause electronics to go haywire when we get near them. Ive had MANY computer monitors short out when I was sitting in front of them, then come back on when I walked away, have street lights go out when I jog past etc.....

A few years ago, I was in the kitchen with my mom and girlfriend, making dinner. I reached into the cupboard to grab a glass to get a drink and right when my index finger touched it, it EXPLODED! Everyone saw it, no one could explain it.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Glass holds a lot of stress.

I used to mess around with lampworking (glassblowing) and know this very well. I've had more glass blow up in my face that I would care to remember, most of which wasn't even hot at the time.

Nothing that odd at all about it, especially after the glass just got knocked over. Like someone else said, I've also had beer glasses "explode" in my hand before.

So it doesn't appear there is anything odd here... the tickle? Could have very well just been a little chip of glass that fell off the bottom. Or it was just a coincidence and you just simply had a tickle.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
it's happened t me on occasion, more frequently, if i hold a bottle of beer, it inevitably foams up out of the bottle and all over, I always pour my beers in my pub mugs now, since it always happens otherwise.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
A very similar thing has happened to me, but it was not with a drinking glass.

It was 3 days before my wedding and I was at the store picking up some glass candle holders. As I picked one up, my thumb went straight through the bottom of one of them and blood starting to gush everywhere. I had not picked it up with any pressure or anything like that - essentially I just touched it. The thing was, it didn't hurt, especially given the amount of blood that there was.

My initial thought was that there was a weak spot in this glass, and went home. I have to say that I went through many paper towels on the way home due to the loss of blood. My mother wanted to take me to emergency due to the amount of blood. The blood stopped flowing when I agreed to going to the hospital. So, 15 minutes later it started to bleed again. Once again I told my mother that I would go and the bleeding stopped. This went on for a couple of iterations.

When I got to the hospital, sure enough the bleeding stopped but we were there anyway so I saw the Dr. The Dr examined my thumb, and he was underwhelmed - there were no stitches were needed or anything. The Dr then asked me if everything else was ok. I told him come to think of it, my throat was feeling a bit scratchy. He examined me and determined I had strep throat and prescribed me the antibiotics.

Flame me all you want, but I will never believe that my finger went through that glass by pure accident. Somebody or something - call it fate if you want, wanted me to get to that hospital before the strep got worse and my wedding and honeymoon would have been ruined.
edit on 22-3-2011 by CCKP72 because: Add

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
The Chi Gong adepts will say this is easy to do, just by focusing chi up through the hand.
maybe your chi bursted energy through your hand

on youtube a chinese chi gong healing guy did all sorts of crazy stuff.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

Hi James,

I can honestly say the tickle in the palm of my hand that night was not normal. The glass had already been sitting in my hand for a couple of minutes. All of a sudden the tickle began. It was sort of going round in a circle and got faster and faster, until it went up. My friend still talks about it today. As i said the glass had been on the floor for over an hour...broken in two. It was at the point i was studying it....quite fazed by the smoooth surface, that it exploded. I don't pretend to be anything special. It really was strange!

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
That is why it is called paranormal !

What we do know about this incident is:

The glass was held in her hand. Not a source of enough heat energy to transfer enough temperature differential to shatter the glass.

Think about it. You can place very hot water in a glass but in order to break the glass or better yet to shatter it, it would require a significant amount of energy or a significant difference in temperature to shock the glass to the point of breaking the molecular bonds holding the glass together causing it to shatter.

If it was vibration induced as in a terrestrial earth quake tremor, for example. It would have to have been fairly strong and felt by others in the same area/environment. Due to vibrational forces requiring fixed/hard objects to transfer the vibrations through the floor through her feet, body and to the glass. Everything in the structure would have been vibrating as well.
Not mentioned as being experienced by the OP.

The witness/friend would have most likely experienced this identical vibration through the structure/floor through his feet as well.

The tingling leads me to believe paranormal energy. Tingling implies periodic waves as measured in cycles per second.
It could be vibrational waves or electrical waves.

Ghosts and spirit energy happen to oscillate or vibrate at very high frequencies.

It is a known fact that it requires high frequencies that break glass due to it's brittleness.

This leads me to believe that it was a ghostly or paranormal in nature.

Plain and simple.
edit on 24-3-2011 by nh_ee because: typos

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Hey everyone first post here i was just browsing when i came accross this thread and i had to reply because i've had a similar experience.

It was about 2003/2004 and i was 16/17 at the time and me and my best buddy had just gone out around town to get served in bars pretending we were 18
good times. Anyway afterward about 2am we decided to call it a night after having a few drinks both of us were i would say tipsy, so i was staying the night at his and about 3am he got in bed and i kipped on his bedroom floor and in his bedroom at the time there was an empty glass that he had left on top of the tv (the glass was similar to the glass they give you for a drink in the Nandos restaurant if anyone on here lives in the UK) then around 5:30am i remember having a dream that i was for some particular reason smashing another friends grannys greenhouse windows (lol dont ask) then all of a sudden which woke us both up the glas shattered into small cubes like a car window would do. The glass had not fallen off the tv as the base of the glass was still in the same position and intact however the majority of the top i would say three quarters of it had completely shattered.

Me and my mate were completely baffled by it and still dont know how it happened today. Only thing i could think off was that the tv was switched off and i know sometimes you can hear high pitched noises from a tv on standby so unless that caused it i have no idea.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Okay, a few months ago I had a friend round and we had a drink of cola each out of glasses and decided to do an Ouija board. We did he board, and was pretty dissapointed as we got nothing; nothing apart from a slight cold chill that was probably just a placebo anyways.

So slightly dissapointed, we packed up the Ouija board and turned on the Xbox, after about half an hour I turned round towards the desk to turn on my PC and knocked my hand on the empty pint glass from earlier, which happened to be sitting on my desk. The glass EXPLODED literally into a million pieces, literally EXPLODED as soon as my hand hit it.

I only hit my hand against it gently, anyone whos accidently knocked a glass off a table before should know what I mean. But it literally exploded, shattered into tiny little shards, my friend was standing right next to where i was sitting at the time (I was on a desk chair) and a bit of flying glass had actually cut his hand slightly and it was bleeding. There was glass shards all over the floor and my desk, the biggest piece of glass left was the moulded Stella Artois logo which was fully intact.

Another thing which I can't explain is the day before this my clock stopped working, it's a tickless clock and I suspected the batteries had ran out. But it still doesn't work, sometimes it works perfect for about an hour, then it starts ticking loudly and then stops. The one worrying thing was it started ticking loudly during the Ouija board session. It's probably just a broken clock, but it has certainly creeped me out.

edit on 29/3/11 by Solanum because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Something similar happened to me. I was arguing with my boyfriend (one of our worse arguments) and I got into my car (while I was still fuming) and before I could even turn on my car, a fairly thick glass cup in my passenger seat exploded into millions of pieces. I just thought it was my negative energy that did it, so I knew from then on i needed to control my anger. I really believe peoples energy can effect the objects around them.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by icecold7

WHY do glasses sometimes explode? Think---hot vs. cold. Think about it.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhizPhiz
So let me get this straight...you had an already partially broken part of the bottle in your palm (the bottom part), and it suddenly shattered/exploded? If that's the case, it seems like maybe a whole bunch of hairline fractures in the bottle suddenly released all their pressure and broke like safety glass, into many small pieces. Or am I way off?

Naw this is what happens. I was a bartender for a long time and glasses sometimes will get hairline fractures and splinter, usually when heat or cold is rapidly applied. This is more than likely what happened.

It was probably ready to fall apart anyways but the difference between the heat of your hand and the air along with air infused into the small cracks caused it to explode.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
cause the coke glass is thin.
and cold from being on the floor...and already cracked some...
the heat from his hand made it shatter.

i have had whole cups shatter on em all the time where i drink coffee from glass mason jars lol

cold then hot = shatter or at least crack...

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Happens, may be interested in this thread.
www.reddit.com...

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Something similar just happened to my flatmate yesterday. I didn't witness it but I heard his exclamation and the crash. He was at the kitchen sink doing the dishes when he claims a scotch glass I'd used earlier literally slid up off the hook at the side of the dish rack, leapt about 12 inches into the air then crashed to the floor. He tried to catch it in mid-air (he's got pretty sharp reflexes - he's a marksman) but failed. He was flabbergasted. We laughed it off but he was clearly spooked. He normally makes fun of me for my ATS addiction so I had a ball teasing him when he relayed the incident to his best friend later. We concluded that it was just physics - something causing pressure to build up and propel it upward. We're still trying to recreate the exact conditions to see if it repeats.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join